Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I really hope we'll see more of Ashoka Tano's hunt for a certain blue-skinned Grand Admiral. That's the show I want to see now. :D
That's probably for the spin-off. There have been rumours about a Ahsoka/Sabine spin-off for a while, ever since Rebels ended.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in their choice for Dawson as Ahsoka. She doesn't resemble the character from Clone Wars and Rebels, at least not that much. I think there could have been better choices, but I guess what's done is done. Ahsoka is by far my favourite character in the Star Wars universe, so maybe I'm a bit picky. If it were up to me, I'd rather see an animated Ahsoka/Sabine spin-off than a live-action one.

Ahsoka showing this season shows the problems, though. Why do they refer to Ahsoka as "the Jedi". She's not a Jedi, she left the order willingly and said before that she is no Jedi when she faced Vader (and some other occasions IIRC).

Why do they fall back to a weapon duell between her and Morgan? They conveniently forget that she could use the force to defeat Morgan. Also, why the whole killing? She could have knocked out / force pushed or choked many of the guards she killed. That is not very Ahsoka-like. It almost feels like showing off lightsabers and killing others is there to get more viewers.

I think The Mandalorian works better without the "old" main characters for other series/movies. If they want to show off things, then they should do a "Old Republic" series.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
That's probably for the spin-off. There have been rumours about a Ahsoka/Sabine spin-off for a while, ever since Rebels ended.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in their choice for Dawson as Ahsoka. She doesn't resemble the character from Clone Wars and Rebels, at least not that much. I think there could have been better choices, but I guess what's done is done. Ahsoka is by far my favourite character in the Star Wars universe, so maybe I'm a bit picky. If it were up to me, I'd rather see an animated Ahsoka/Sabine spin-off than a live-action one.

Ahsoka showing this season shows the problems, though. Why do they refer to Ahsoka as "the Jedi". She's not a Jedi, she left the order willingly and said before that she is no Jedi when she faced Vader (and some other occasions IIRC).

Why do they fall back to a weapon duell between her and Morgan? They conveniently forget that she could use the force to defeat Morgan. Also, why the whole killing? She could have knocked out / force pushed or choked many of the guards she killed. That is not very Ahsoka-like. It almost feels like showing off lightsabers and killing others is there to get more viewers.

I think The Mandalorian works better without the "old" main characters for other series/movies. If they want to show off things, then they should do a "Old Republic" series.
I actually thought she was perfect for the roll. But again, I see your points... I wonder if she took on the Jedi title after it was all said and done... there is a gap between Clone and the Mando... Just a thought.

I also want to see a show of her hunting down a certain "blue-skinned Grand Admiral"!!!!!

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m really enjoying this show and just started season 2 today. Did anyone else notice a change in audio for season 2? The whole first episode I found myself having to adjust the volume between dialogue and special effects. I watched all of season one on Apple TV with HomePods for audio and didn’t notice this issue.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I wonder if she took on the Jedi title after it was all said and done... there is a gap between Clone and the Mando... Just a thought.
Maybe, maybe not. There are only five years between the battle of Endor and Mandalorian though. We know that she wasn't a Jedi after the battle when she and Sabine took off on their own adventures. So it must have happened in the past five years. Personally I think they just used it as a buzz-word, to get a wider audience.
Did anyone else notice a change in audio for season 2?
Not that I can remember. What you describe sounds like you've watched season 1 with some type of compression on? The difference between dialogue and effects is just a high dynamic range, which is common for higher-value productions. Perhaps a firmware update on the AppleTV or Homepods that made the difference?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Maybe, maybe not. There are only five years between the battle of Endor and Mandalorian though. We know that she wasn't a Jedi after the battle when she and Sabine took off on their own adventures. So it must have happened in the past five years. Personally I think they just used it as a buzz-word, to get a wider audience.

Not that I can remember. What you describe sounds like you've watched season 1 with some type of compression on? The difference between dialogue and effects is just a high dynamic range, which is common for higher-value productions. Perhaps a firmware update on the AppleTV or Homepods that made the difference?
I think I’ve watched them all since iOS 14.2 came out. But no big deal. I can deal with some volume issues for an entertaining show. I’m sold any time I get to see Raylan Givens on Tatooine.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I think Dawson resembles the various animated versions close enough. The disconnect for me personally is not hearing Ashley Eckstein's voice when she speaks. That being said, I wouldn't want them to force fit Eckstein into the live action role if she doesn't resemble the character nor want them to dub her voice over Dawson's (a la Maul in TPM or Solo), so I'm fine with Dawson. She absolutely physically fits the bill as far as the action goes.

As far as titling the episode 'The Jedi'--what else are they going to call it, the 'agnostic force user?' In that universe, I'm sure the default thought is if they're wielding a lightsaber, they're a Jedi. And Ahsoka has no need to clarify. In fact, there is probably a degree of reverence or fear that comes with the title so why not let it work to her advantage? Also, as mentioned, it's been a while since she made that statement to Vader. I thought I recall hearing that Rebels takes place approximately 5 years prior to ANH, which is 4 years before the Battle of Endor and this is another 5 years after that. A lot can change in nearly 15 years. Perhaps she's once again had a change of heart.

And in regards to that final scene in Rebels--Dave Filoni himself dropped a little mind blowing knowledge in a new Vanity Fair article that people assume that Rebels epilogue is immediately after the Battle of Endor but it's never explicitly stated and that in fact, that scene may happen AFTER this episode of the Mandalorian:

“It’s an interesting one, that’s not necessarily chronological,” Filoni said. “I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five, and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels, you don’t really know how much time has passed. So, it’s possible that the story I’m telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I’m saying it’s possible.”

Finally, Ahsoka isn't that innocent in regards to killing. Yes, she professed to not wanting to kill the clones that turned on her after Order 66 but she did in fact kill a handful of them, as well as quite a few Mandalorians and various other bounty hunters. Otherwise, nearly all of her battles involved battle droids--her enemies during the Clone Wars were rarely non-droids.

Reactions: rhett7660

daimos

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2009
Grogu is 50 yrs old. Ahsoka is older than what was depicted in Clone Wars (cartoons). Different species grow differently.

Last edited:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Yes!

Ahsoka
After making her long-awaited, live-action debut in The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano’s story, written by Dave Filoni, will continue in a limited series, Ahsoka, starring Rosario Dawson and executive produced by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.​

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Yes!

Ahsoka
After making her long-awaited, live-action debut in The Mandalorian, Ahsoka Tano’s story, written by Dave Filoni, will continue in a limited series, Ahsoka, starring Rosario Dawson and executive produced by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.​

Giddy for this is an understatement...

Reactions: Glideslope

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
And did you see the entire lineup... holy smokes! Talk about dropping a mother load of content to come on everyone yesterday!

yes for real! They will dominate the streaming services world. And movie theatres are probably virtually dead now.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Yes!

Ahsoka

That's a lot of Star Wars stuff...

Disney to raise streaming prices in 3... 2... 1...

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
YES!!!
Awesome that they're giving Pedro Pascal more facetime...
And they did it in such a meaningful way. It made evident how much he loves Baby Yoda Grogu, and how far he's willing to go to save that little green thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.