Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well okay, I’ll reneg on my previous comment and watch the finale because of the huge spoiler of
who takes Grogu. Seeing this being made me smile (and it’s a nice cycle for this character). I like that this being gets to show more of their warrior side.

@yaxomoxay I was spoiled on Twitter rather quickly so stay away from any place you might see Mando news. I kept my response very vague as not to spoil.

Reactions: MisterSavage

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
At some point—maybe 15-25 years from now—they’ll redo the Skywalker Saga. When they do, I think they’ll jettison episodes 7-9 from canon.

At any rate, they should be planning to excise those stories now, so that Filoni, Favreau et. al. can develop these stories without having to fit them into the deeply flawed sequels’ “decisions”.

Disney is hitting its stride in regards to Star Wars. It’d be a shame if they were hamstrung by their early mistakes.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
At some point—maybe 15-25 years from now—they’ll redo the Skywalker Saga. When they do, I think they’ll jettison episodes 7-9 from canon.

At any rate, they should be planning to excise those stories now, so that Filoni, Favreau et. al. can develop these stories without having to fit them into the deeply flawed sequels’ “decisions”.

Disney is hitting its stride in regards to Star Wars. It’d be a shame if they were hamstrung by their early mistakes.

What is an "episodes 7-9"?

I've read the Timothy Zahn trilogy, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and about a dozen other books that take place after RotJ. "Mandalorian" is the first live action Star Wars content to take place after the OT, right?

• Love
Reactions: yaxomoxay

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Well okay, I’ll reneg on my previous comment and watch the finale because of the huge spoiler of
who takes Grogu. Seeing this being made me smile (and it’s a nice cycle for this character). I like that this being gets to show more of their warrior side.

@yaxomoxay I was spoiled on Twitter rather quickly so stay away from any place you might see Mando news. I kept my response very vague as not to spoil.

Wow. Just wow. this was a masterful finale. Just. Wow.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
I have really enjoyed that last episode. It was very well done, except for the "bad face CG". There was nothing surprising though, it was pretty clear this would happen after the Ahsoka episode and once they've showed the Dark Trooper squad. The cinematography made up for the predictability though.

After the post-credits scene, I wonder in which direction they'll go now. They could focus on Bo-Katan and the Darksaber, maybe together with Mando and show their return to Mandalore. It's pretty clear the story of Grogu and Mando is over now. I'm also not sure we need two different "Books" with Mandalorians running around. So maybe the new Fett series is a "pre-quel" and shows Boba growing up with his father? Or maybe what happened after the Clone Wars.

Reactions: djlythium

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

I didn't at all expect Disney to course-correct Star Wars, which starting with "The Mandalorian" has been incredibly awesome...

The Star Trek fan inside of me is still disgusted with the way CBS has treated that franchise. Star Trek: Discovery has still been an abomination in S3...

Their "Mandalorian" is Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (with Anson Mount as Capt. Pike, who is awesome for the role), but I haven't heard a peep out of CBS regarding that series...

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
I have really enjoyed that last episode. It was very well done, except for the "bad face CG". There was nothing surprising though, it was pretty clear this would happen after the Ahsoka episode and once they've showed the Dark Trooper squad. The cinematography made up for the predictability though.

After the post-credits scene, I wonder in which direction they'll go now. They could focus on Bo-Katan and the Darksaber, maybe together with Mando and show their return to Mandalore. It's pretty clear the story of Grogu and Mando is over now. I'm also not sure we need two different "Books" with Mandalorians running around. So maybe the new Fett series is a "pre-quel" and shows Boba growing up with his father? Or maybe what happened after the Clone Wars.
Exactly what I was thinking. They certainly left enough loose ends, but I’m not sure they were super-compelling loose ends.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
If this is true, the future of Star Wars looks pretty good:

(I'm not even gonna watch them go down as i pull the flush lever on the sequel trilogy... ;))
Considering Favreau‘s work in total, I think he’ll go down as one of the best contemporary storytellers.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I've read the Timothy Zahn trilogy, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and about a dozen other books that take place after RotJ. "Mandalorian" is the first live action Star Wars content to take place after the OT, right?

Remember some of those books like the Timothy Zahn trilogy is not canon. I loved Thrawn in the book trilogy, but he was just as menacing in Rebels.

What is awesome about all this is Dave Filoni connects things together well. I am expecting all the upcoming Star Wars movies/series to have ties into each other either thru live action or cartoons

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Finale was good. I‘d like to see Favreau do material without Filoni frankly.

As far as that episode, considering what they had to use, I’m okay with that. Not as bad as previous attempts.

Outside of that, Pedro was great and I really enjoyed Timothy Olyphant too. I hope Olyphant pops up again somewhere be it Star Wars or Marvel.

The whole Mandalore storyline isn’t my bag, but it’s nice fans may see more of it.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Finale was good. I‘d like to see Favreau do material without Filoni frankly.

As far as that episode, considering what they had to use, I’m okay with that. Not as bad as previous attempts.
The quality has been really good. Disney should give Favreau and Filoni the budget to do a film.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
The quality has been really good. Disney should give Favreau and Filoni the budget to do a film.
They probably will.

Not a fan of Filoni, but whatever. Just glad Disney is beginning to course correct and offer a bit of variety. I will say that this season felt like a trailer for several SW shows (No surprise at least two are green lit), but there were some fun moments.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I hope Olyphant pops up again somewhere be it Star Wars or Marvel.
He’s such a a charismatic actor. I remember being disappointed seeing him billed in Santa Clarita Diet, a sitcom about a housewife zombie, but then I watched it and actually liked it. In no small part because of Timothy Oliphant and his chemistry with Drew Barrymore.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
He’s such a a charismatic actor. I remember being disappointed seeing him billed in Santa Clarita Diet, a sitcom about a housewife zombie, but then I watched it and actually liked it. In no small part because of Timothy Oliphant and his chemistry with Drew Barrymore.
I loved that show.

Timothy Oliphant and Drew Barrymore was awesome together, and Nathan Fillion very enjoable as "head in a vase" (replaced by Alan Tudyk in the last series).

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Remember some of those books like the Timothy Zahn trilogy is not canon. I loved Thrawn in the book trilogy, but he was just as menacing in Rebels.

What is awesome about all this is Dave Filoni connects things together well. I am expecting all the upcoming Star Wars movies/series to have ties into each other either thru live action or cartoons

Also remember that the abortion trainwreck of a trilogy by Disney is not canon.

The Zahn trilogy, however, is. If Disney can't create a respectable trilogy, then you honestly don't have to consider what they deem "canon" or not. Zahn told the story perfectly fine almost 30 years ago.

Reactions: ipponrg

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
So... what’s a good book about Mandalorians?

Although not specifically about Mandalorians, I had bought this book (Tales of the Bounty Hunters) when I was younger because I was a fan of Boba Fett. It was interesting to read how he survived, though it's apparently not canon anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.