Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I like it so far, 3 episodes in.

In the last several years I have completely changed how I think of TV Shows and Movies. They are completely at a "are they entertaining for me at this moment" yes or no?
I care zero about realism because, it is a tv show. Outside of documentary or how it's made type shows. Every single show boosts outside the realm of normal and realistic. If TV shows were 100% real, I think I would just be fine with watching the real world (not the mtv show even though it was good back in the day)

I have zero cares about ripoffs, spinoffs, copycats, redos. I have so much "real world" life and responsibility for dozens of decisions, families and customers that I am so ok with watching something that is not 100% accurate to everyday life and out of the norm to give me some level of entertainment, cringy-feel, awkwardness an occasional smile or a laugh.

Sure some shows just can not hold my attention at all and for me that is fine, there are so many shows available these days that we are not limited to 2-3 main television channels everyday.
I'm thankful I don't have to go outside and turn the antenna while dad yells at me to hold right there or a little more to the left while I miss a part of the show or if we wanted to record it, you had to scurry to find a VHS tape you were ok recording over.

Either way, back to my first line. I like it so far.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I watched all 3 and basically it’s a backstabbing show. Who can strike first? It’s hard to like any of the characters who all seem like foul mouthed hypocrites. How can we spin this?

So the major storyline is metoo. But while one gets fired for his behavior it seems like others are still doing the same. Does anyone actually feel bad or do they seem more worried about recovering from the bad publicity?

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Jennifer Anniston and Reese Witherspoon are knocking it out of the park.

Agreed! I think their character development is going to be key. Both seem weak but strong. Annoying but likable. Different but the same. Where I think they both have common ground is having their careers being controlled by men in the industry.

Reactions: CE3

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Ridiculous product placement. I saw close-ups of iPhones (all of them latest models of course) at least 10 times in the first 15 minutes. But the real problem is that the writing feels comically outdated, like I was watching a show from the 90’s. The actors were giving it their best but there’s just nothing to work with. Too flat and artificial by modern standards.

Whichever executive gave green light to this was someone without any cinema or TV background. Apple needs to change this if they hope to someday compete with the best content of HBO, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, BBC, AMC and the like.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I read some reviews that said this a listless meh at best, but I watched it anyway (okay SO sort of made me do it) and surprisingly it is more than modestly entertaining, if not a little bit predictable. The cast is great, across the board although I will say I've never been a big fan of Jennifer Anistons delivery, she's easily not pulling the same weight as the other actors.

Worth watching for entertainment only.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Perhaps I’m easily pleased but I like it. It took a while to get going but by the end of the second episode I was gagging to see the next, and again after the third.

I like the premise, I like the principal cast.

I hated See. I’m liking For All Mankind — similarly slow to get going but once it did I was all-in.

Reactions: arn

immigrantsong

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Macon, GA
I expected to HATE it...in fact, I only watched it out of curiosity after seeing the 1st three of “For All Mankind”...which I liked a lot.

so I figured I’d just give this show 10 or 15 minutes...but ... Surprise...it ended up being much different than I expected...and I’m loving it so far.

Have gone thru all 3 of the episodes...and the writing, dialogue, characters, and acting is outstanding. In fact, damn near brilliant in places.

The opening scene of ep. 3 is down right brilliant, as is the following scene of jennifer being confronted by the board members. Wow.

Jennifer is at the top of her game with her acting and Reese is outstanding. Both of course are mesmerizing when on camera.

Steve Carrel is showing some depth. Watch for a poignant scene toward the end of ep 3 with him and Martin Short...

Especially good spellbinding acting by Billy Cruddup. He’s perfectly cunning as he slithers his way thru the scenes.

There is however that one scene in which Steve Carrel, in a rage, sounds suspiciously like Gru (Despicable Me).... lol.

lots of good actors and performances for all the supporting characters as well.

So, yeah, I was very surprised to like the show so much. Will be interesting to see how it goes..

Admiral

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
I'd like to urge the writers to understand that even where they are free to use the f-word as much as they want because it's not television, that isn't always such a great idea. It's lazy.

I spent decades in the Navy and even I find it a bit much.

Reactions: CE3 and Dexterama

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm bummed to find out that episode 4 isn't available yet. I was so ready to binge this whole thing this weekend after watching the first episode. It's certainly not the show I was expecting but I'm pleasantly surprised and can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm bummed to find out that episode 4 isn't available yet. I was so ready to binge this whole thing this weekend after watching the first episode. It's certainly not the show I was expecting but I'm pleasantly surprised and can't wait to see how the rest of the season plays out.
It seems Apple isn’t planning on encouraging ”hit and run” subscriptions where you sign up, binge and drop out. They’re releasing an episode a week, HBO style. This is the schedule for The Morning Show season 1:

1.4: Nov 8
1.5: Nov 15
1.6: Nov 22
1.7: Nov 29
1.8: Dec 6
1.9: Dec 13
1.10: Dec 20

For All Mankind: Identical schedule.
See
: Same schedule except only 8 episodes, so it wraps on Dec 6.
Dickinson: All 10 episodes available now.

Last edited:

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I really enjoyed the show so far. It's always a treat to see Reese, so she drew me immediately. I can't wait to see more!

Fun Facts: Reese is using an iPhone 8! :eek: All the computers are running Catalina and use the same dock layout. The Mac TV app is opened, and apparently Reese and Jen both edit their own videos on Final Cut Pro. They are also using Aperture! Aperture! o_O

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
I enjoy the show and the acting is passable. While I like Jennifer, her emotional range seems limited at times. There was quite a bit of the ”deer in the headlights” facial expression. I wasn’t impressed with her acting in the meeting with the board of directors. She did not accomplish the subtleties of anger in that moment. You can only portray the death stare for so long until that expression loses its effect.

As another poster mentioned, there were too many F-swears which cheats the actors out of expressing frustration in a more clever manner.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Fun Facts: Reese is using an iPhone 8! :eek:
Yes, this was Apple’s way of communicating that she’s an obscure local news nobody from some podunk town. All the others use X/Xs. Apple’s view is of course that an iPhone 8 is something only a dumpster diver would use. You can be sure that her rags to riches journey will have put an Xs Max (11 wasn’t out) in her hand by the season finale.

(OK, maybe not a Max, Reese would fall over.)

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I've seen the first two episodes now and I'm all-in. Super high quality show. Perfect pacing. Love it!

Reactions: CE3

jsk108

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
The hype was real. I'm sure we will all endure the first season or two probably, but afterwards with this plot.. i don't see where further it can go. It reminds me of the Suits somehow.. very exciting in the beginning and then going down.. at some point you just quit watching because it is all the same thing over and over.

Beside this, I enjoyed Reese acting a lot, since Big Little Lies (shame s2 ruined the show). It seemed to me that Jennifer is only one-two dimensional in her acting, either superlatively bossy and me-me-me egomaniac, striving for power or just silly and stupid (as in Friends). I was confused whether this show is about addressing issues in a serious dramatic way or it is drama-comedy parody. I was surprised and rather confused about how at one moment the actors were very cunning and serious and in the other moments absolutely idiotic in their response to the situation. It showed a lot of inconsistency and messy way of introducing the actors and the story to me. I could not really rely on the superficiality of it... (yet).

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I'd like to urge the writers to understand that even where they are free to use the f-word as much as they want because it's not television, that isn't always such a great idea. It's lazy.

While this is only a very minor criticism for me (I think it's a great show so far), I do agree with you. I'm not a prude about language, sex or violence when it has purpose, but all the big cable networks and streaming companies are guilty of putting excessive amounts of language, sex and violence in their original shows and movies simply because they can and not because it actually serves the story.

Last edited:

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
15 minutes in and I'm yawning. I've had to stop it. Will give it a second try in the morning, chances are I won't feel an urge to fall asleep so easily.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Ridiculous product placement. I saw close-ups of iPhones (all of them latest models of course) at least 10 times in the first 15 minutes. But the real problem is that the writing feels comically outdated, like I was watching a show from the 90’s. The actors were giving it their best but there’s just nothing to work with. Too flat and artificial by modern standards.

Whichever executive gave green light to this was someone without any cinema or TV background. Apple needs to change this if they hope to someday compete with the best content of HBO, Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, BBC, AMC and the like.
I’ll agree about the product placement, it’s really unnecessary considering most people watching likely have an Apple product already.

I think the show is fine though.

Reactions: lyngo

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014

I respectfully disagree. I think it's entirely authentic for people to be swearing left & right in high-pressure professional environments. This show is depicting emotionally charged, career-shaping situations in a cutthroat business among ruthless peers. I wouldn't expect anything less than uncensored profanity.

That said, of course, we're all entitled to our own views.

IamScotty

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2018
So well paced, great acting and I’m surprised by Aniston. Incredible screenplay. I hope it continues to be this good and they don’t ruin it for the remaining episodes.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
So well paced, great acting and I’m surprised by Aniston. Incredible screenplay. I hope it continues to be this good and they don’t ruin it for the remaining episodes.

Yeah the pacing is beautiful. Skips along nicely, nothing rushed but nothing laboured. Definitely one of those "has an hour passed already??" shows. For me, it's fully A-list. The sort of thing HBO makes in their finest hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.