Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
A fact within the range of normal for 60 hz lcd panels, like it or not.
Yes, a fact, but still can’t make Apple guilt-free for iPad mini 6 exhibiting prominent jelly scroll effect on portrait orientation.
That’s Apple’s excuse but it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. I have never observed this issue before in any other LCD display at any price point. It may well exist to a small degree but you would have to really hunt for it whereas with the Mini 6 LCD panel it stands out like a sore thumb and laughably so. If it’s perfectly normal then how come the Air 5 doesn’t do it for instance? It has a 60hz screen just like the Mini 6.
To be fair, iPad Air 5 also does it. I played around all current ipad sold by apple in a local Apple Store and can see jelly scrolling on all of them. Just that iPad mini 6 one on portrait mode is so blatant and obvious it’s laughable, which means Apple made a terrible design decision and maybe also using cheaper panels than usual.
The effect can be observed on most 60 Hz panels in existence at literally any price point. Laptops, PC monitors, TVs, they all do that, just not when the content is moving vertically. There are even dedicated tests for it: https://www.testufo.com/scanskew

It does do it, just like most other 60 Hz panels in existence.

Holy cow, it's been moths and people still can't grasp the simple concept of LCDs refreshing row by row. Hold your Mini 6 in portrait orientation, boom, there's jelly scrolling. Hold it in landscape, poof, jelly scrolling gone. Mount your TV in portrait orientation, boom, there's jelly scrolling for the exact same reason!
Holy cow. How about just accepting iPad mini 6 does jelly affect more prominent than other iPad and other LCD screens? I’m not saying jelly effect doesn’t exist on other displays. They do. The latest mini 6 just amplifies it.
If you can’t see it, good for you. Not good for me. Thankfully I use iPad Pro with 120hz display so normally can’t notice jelly scroll effect without outright looking for it.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and slplss

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The effect can be observed on most 60 Hz panels in existence at literally any price point. Laptops, PC monitors, TVs, they all do that, just not when the content is moving vertically. There are even dedicated tests for it: https://www.testufo.com/scanskew

It does do it, just like most other 60 Hz panels in existence.

Holy cow, it's been moths and people still can't grasp the simple concept of LCDs refreshing row by row. Hold your Mini 6 in portrait orientation, boom, there's jelly scrolling. Hold it in landscape, poof, jelly scrolling gone. Mount your TV in portrait orientation, boom, there's jelly scrolling for the exact same reason!
Koolaid BS. I have never observed this issue before. Never. Not on any device.
Sure it might be there on a tiny, tiny level if you really look for it but the point is the iPad Mini presents jelly scroll on a huge and unavoidable level. It's there without hunting for it. In other words it does it BADLY. Comprendez?

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
If you have issues with jelly scroll so bad it gives you night sweats on a cold nordic day. Buy a different iPad (option are a plenty), or create your own tablet that won't have this issue that gives you road rage while sitting in on the toilet in the dark.

Before anyone would like to add more to this thread please close your eyes take 3 deep breaths and say with me I can buy the iPad mini 5, iPad 9th gen, iPad 10th gen, iPad Air 4, iPad Air 5, iPad Pro 11 2nd gen, iPad Pro 11 3rd gen, iPad Pro 11 4th gen, iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen, iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen, iPad Pro 12.9 6th gen, and this mini 6th will never be thought of by me again. I am whole, I am positive, I will be the example that this random dude from the internet wants me to be.........then Exhale.

skardvin

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
If you have issues with jelly scroll so bad it gives you night sweats on a cold nordic day. Buy a different iPad (option are a plenty), or create your own tablet that won't have this issue that gives you road rage while sitting in on the toilet in the dark.

Before anyone would like to add more to this thread please close your eyes take 3 deep breaths and say with me I can buy the iPad mini 5, iPad 9th gen, iPad 10th gen, iPad Air 4, iPad Air 5, iPad Pro 11 2nd gen, iPad Pro 11 3rd gen, iPad Pro 11 4th gen, iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen, iPad Pro 12.9 5th gen, iPad Pro 12.9 6th gen, and this mini 6th will never be thought of by me again. I am whole, I am positive, I will be the example that this random dude from the internet wants me to be.........then Exhale.
Well said!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have wanted an iPad Mini for some time. It seemed the perfect form factor for reading in bed, one of my favorite uses of an iPad. But I didn't buy one, because I made the mistake of listening to the folks in this forum complaining bitterly about the dreaded Jelly Scroll problem, or loudly proclaiming that they would never buy a Mini until Apple came to its senses and corrected it. What finally got me was a 20% off sale on Amazon, but even then I was dubious and ready to send it back.

Jelly Scrollers, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. I read in portrait orientation, scrolling back and forth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. It functions perfectly, as does the rest of the 6th generation iPad Mini. I'm delighted I bought it, and only wish I'd done so earlier.

Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.
Jelly scroll 100% happens with iPad mini 6 on portrait mode. Easiest way to see it is right on this MacRumors page, scroll up & down in landscape mode - the horizontal bars between posts stay horizontal. Switch to Portrait, and you’ll see that the lines “angle” while scrolling.

Other than as a party trick, there’s no real issue with it though. The iPad works fine and my day isn’t ruined by seeing that.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Jelly scroll 100% happens with iPad mini 6 on portrait mode. Easiest way to see it is right on this MacRumors page, scroll up & down in landscape mode - the horizontal bars between posts stay horizontal. Switch to Portrait, and you’ll see that the lines “angle” while scrolling.

Other than as a party trick, there’s no real issue with it though. The iPad works fine and my day isn’t ruined by seeing that.
Bit crap for such an expensive supposedly 'best of the best' gadget though? I've owned a ton of phones & a ton of tablets over the years and have never seen 'jelly scroll' before despite Apple diehards telling me that "they all do that Sir."

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
Bit crap for such an expensive supposedly 'best of the best' gadget though? I've owned a ton of phones & a ton of tablets over the years and have never seen 'jelly scroll' before despite Apple diehards telling me that "they all do that Sir."
I paid $399 to use it mostly for ebooks (and scanned books at archive.org), so my needs are met.

Reactions: G5isAlive

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So don't buy it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It suits my purposes just fine. Yes, I can "Detect" jelly scroll if I look for it but no, it doesn't give me anxiety or headaches or stomach acid or whatever it is people are complaining about.

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I use mine in landscape 99% of the time so it’s a non issue for me. If I recall the mini 5 had the scrolling issue in landscape so I’m glad Apple changed it for the 6.

Reactions: G5isAlive

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I cannot see the Jolly scroll also, and I'm super happy with the iPad mini, coming from an M1 12.9 iPad Pro, that gave to my son for school.
Side note….how are you adjusting to the smaller size compared to the 12.9? That’s quite a leap down. Do you use the pencil at all?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So don't buy it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It suits my purposes just fine. Yes, I can "Detect" jelly scroll if I look for it but no, it doesn't give me anxiety or headaches or stomach acid or whatever it is people are complaining about.
Yet it IS still woeful for a supposedly premium device made by a premium brand, no? Or do you excuse everything...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Where is he excusing everything? I don't see that in his response at all. And he's right - if you really don't like something, then don't buy it.
I meant excuse everything that isn't very good. In this case jelly scrolling.

What's the point of these forums if we can't discuss or criticise anything? All we can do is buy or not buy?

I like the form factor. I hate the jelly scrolling and I'm not best pleased about the mediocre amount of RAM or base storage.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

What's the point of these forums if we can't discuss or criticise anything? All we can do is buy or not buy?

I like the form factor. I hate the jelly scrolling and I'm not best pleased about the mediocre amount of RAM or base storage.
Fair point but resulting to assumptions (and you’re doing nothing but assuming and name calling here in this particular case) rather than sticking to what has been written is the least helpful attitude in a medium that relies solely on written words.
As has been stated plenty of times how severe we rate the issue is totally in the realm of personal preference and others can survive with the device in its current state just fine.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

No, I still don't see the excuse aspect. Saying it doesn't bother you is not excusing anything. I can see it when I actively look for it, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I am not excusing anything, simply saying it is totally a non-issue for me.

Reactions: ericwn

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Even though I own an iPad Pro 12.9” with XDR “bloomin’™” and I am an advocate of “It’s not an issue 99% of time using it”, I must admire the amounts of your copium 🤡. I had a cheap Samsung tablet that did exactly that, because it refreshed vertically in portrait mode. And the display panel was cheap. I saw the Mini in a store. It’s absolutely crazy Apple went away with it. Only because people are OK with it, even though previous gen didn’t suffer from the issue.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Even though I own an iPad Pro 12.9” with XDR “bloomin’™” and I am an advocate of “It’s not an issue 99% of time using it”, I must admire the amounts of your copium 🤡. I had a cheap Samsung tablet that did exactly that, because it refreshed vertically in portrait mode. And the display panel was cheap. I saw the Mini in a store. It’s absolutely crazy Apple went away with it. Only because people are OK with it, even though previous gen didn’t suffer from the issue.
A lot of people are OK with it because the issue is not a problem for them. I am OK with it because I just don't see it if I don't look for it. It is an absolute non-issue for me.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
A lot of people are OK with it because the issue is not a problem for them. I am OK with it because I just don't see it if I don't look for it. It is an absolute non-issue for me.
I guess my non issue with XDR blooming comes from two simple facts: it can only be seen in darkness, and that I own it (it’s there but I have to cope with the trade off).

PWM flickering is causing headaches to some sensitive people while others are unaffected. Completely understandable, again coming from my experience.

But I still fail to understand how something as prominent as scrolling causing screen artefacts is OK for some. I can guess it comes from the fact that I absolutely hated using my Galaxy S5e because of jelly scrolling, pushing me to get iPad Pro 2021 not long after. And that I don’t own a Mini so no cope points excusing it.

They should revert the issue in the next gen. Why create an issue “for some people” when there was none? It’s not like there’s some fancy new display tech added to it like XDR was, right?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I guess my non issue with XDR blooming comes from two simple facts: it can only be seen in darkness, and that I own it (it’s there but I have to cope with the trade off).

PWM flickering is causing headaches to some sensitive people while others are unaffected. Completely understandable, again coming from my experience.

But I still fail to understand how something as prominent as scrolling causing screen artefacts is OK for some. I can guess it comes from the fact that I absolutely hated using my Galaxy S5e because of jelly scrolling, pushing me to get iPad Pro 2021 not long after. And that I don’t own a Mini so no cope points excusing it.

They should revert the issue in the next gen. Why create an issue “for some people” when there was none? It’s not like there’s some fancy new display tech added to it like XDR was, right?
Like I said, it's OK for me because I just don't notice it at all; it is not prominent for me (or others, as we've seen). I'm sorry it's an issue for others but I'm not going to have heartburn over it.

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This, exactly. Yes, I can “Detect” it if I specifically look for it, and it’s most noticeable scrolling on a page with horizontal lines (like MacRumors). But even on MR if I’m not specifically trying to see it - it’s invisible to me, it doesn’t affect my usage of the iPad at all.

Look, obviously Apple “Could” have made the iPad mini in such a way as to avoid this effect. They “Could” have probably squeezed in a M1 chip and 8MB RAM, and given it up to a TB of storage. And, of course, it could have started at $1k and gone up from there. Everything is a compromise. I’m happy with the compromises Apple chose vs. the utility the product gives me and the cost I paid for it.

Reactions: spiderman0616

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This, exactly. Yes, I can “Detect” it if I specifically look for it, and it’s most noticeable scrolling on a page with horizontal lines (like MacRumors). But even on MR if I’m not specifically trying to see it - it’s invisible to me, it doesn’t affect my usage of the iPad at all.

Look, obviously Apple “Could” have made the iPad mini in such a way as to avoid this effect. They “Could” have probably squeezed in a M1 chip and 8MB RAM, and given it up to a TB of storage. And, of course, it could have started at $1k and gone up from there. Everything is a compromise. I’m happy with the compromises Apple chose vs. the utility the product gives me and the cost I paid for it.
Crap, low quality display panels on expensive Apple-branded devices are a compromise too far IMO.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
It does seem the discussion has run its course, though. Feels like no new points are being made, just repetition of prior posts and positions with slightly different words.

Quoting my own post above, and checking in 80 posts and 2 months later:

Yup, same rant being repeated, and everyone else basically saying they don't care, with slight variations.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Quoting my own post above, checking in 80 posts and 2 months later:

Yup, same rant being repeated, and everyone else basically saying they don't care, with slight variations.
Yeah, everything that can be said about the issue has been said - multiple times. Anyone considering a Mini 6 but concerned about this needs to check it out for themselves to see if it bothers them or not.

Reactions: wilberforce
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.