Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Here's 'the myth' in action. The best video I've seen to demonstrate this. Note the way the blocks of text tilt up when scrolling one way and tilt down when scrolling the other. Like a see-saw.

Apple's BS excuse that all LCD panels do this and that it's "perfectly normal" is laughable. I cannot recreate this on any of my.other LCD equipped devices whether in portrait or landscape orientation. They may technically be doing it but it's to a much, MUCH lesser degree so as to be imperceptible to the naked eye.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/pvveip

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Here's 'the myth' in action. The best video I've seen to demonstrate this. Note the way the blocks of text tilt up when scrolling one way and tilt down when scrolling the other. Like a see-saw.

Apple's BS excuse that all LCD panels do this and that it's "perfectly normal" is laughable. I cannot recreate this on any of my.other LCD equipped devices whether in portrait or landscape orientation. They may technically be doing it but it's to a much, MUCH lesser degree so as to be imperceptible to the naked eye.

Probably some low quality display and controller manufacturer was selected by Apple for the mini 6. Got to love the excuses from users those who claims it’s a myth or not as bad or workarounds for Apple’s poor engineering decisions. What ever happened to Apple’s design philosophy of we keep going back to the drawing board until it’s perfect?, I guess the hardware and software team chose not to wear they collective glasses/contact lenses or just didn’t give a dHAM and made cost cutting measures for maximum profit rather than the user experience design philosophy. SMH the Apple has fallen from the tree.

Next user excuse will be, if the StudioDisplay camera is poor quality either use your iPhone instead with ContinuityCamera or use an eyelash pencil to outline your face and features like some illustration so the camera does a half decent job.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
I can reproduce it on any 60 hz lcd display. It is the 60 hz refresh that causes it. You can’t prevent it on them.

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
Do some technical study on the technology. It is impossible to not have it at 60 hz refresh. This used to come up a lot when people used mentors that could be rotated to portrait. A few people noticed it because of the change in orientation. The very few people identifying it as a problem validates this. Anger and expressing outrage by a handful won’t alter that the vast majority of users don’t see it or aren’t bothered by it.

Just sell your Mini and move on, you’re not making any headway with your insistence that the rest of the world is colluding to hide “jelly scroll”.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Do some technical study on the technology. It is impossible to not have it at 60 hz refresh. This used to come up a lot when people used mentors that could be rotated to portrait. A few people noticed it because of the change in orientation. The very few people identifying it as a problem validates this. Anger and expressing outrage by a handful won’t alter that the vast majority of users don’t see it or aren’t bothered by it.

Just sell your Mini and move on, you’re not making any headway with your insistence that the rest of the world is colluding to hide “jelly scroll”.
I like my Mini but will not apologise for Apple's bean counting. It's a low quality panel and I would complain whether it jelly scrolled in portrait or landscape.

People blaming this on 60hz displays seem to forget that we've had 60hz displays for years and have never seen this phenomenon so acutely before.

Reactions: sorgo †

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
People blaming this on 60hz displays seem to forget that we've had 60hz displays for years and have never seen this phenomenon so acutely before.

If I scroll in landscape mode on either my iPhone 12 Mini my wife's 14, it jelly scrolls in an identical manner to my iPad Mini. I just don't care because I only use my phone in landscape mode when watching movies.

Reactions: Hoo Doo Dude

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
Try to comprehend this. As a pro that has managed thousands of lcd panels over the years this indeed has existed in 60 hz panels since they’ve been in production. In fact the Mini panel is very high quality, well regarded and favorably reviewed frequently. But it is physically smaller so your attention is focused on a much smaller area optimized for landscape use. That’s the only difference. So rapidly scrolling in portrait will exaggerate the native refresh rate as you are observing a much smaller area. Most users don’t see it, some do and easily ignore it, a very few bare so annoyed they can’t stand it. As with any consumer advice individuals vary in their response. We get it, you don’t like it and are really irritated. But millions of satisfied others aren’t impact impacted or bothered.

You seem angry that anybody likes it.

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
After reading some of these posts, I went to YouTube to see it for myself - and there are several videos showing the infamous “Jelly Scroll”. Yes, it’s real - however the effect is so incredibly insignificant, I’m surprised it would be a problem (or especially a dealbreaker) for anyone. Most people probably wouldn’t notice it unless it was pointed out to them. I believe I’ll move on to a more interesting thread lol 😂

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
After reading some of these posts, I went to YouTube to see it for myself - and there are several videos showing the infamous “Jelly Scroll”. Yes, it’s real - however the effect is so incredibly insignificant, I’m surprised it would be a problem (or especially a dealbreaker) for anyone. Most people probably wouldn’t notice it unless it was pointed out to them. I believe I’ll move on to a more interesting thread lol 😂
Yeah, we’re running in circles now.

Guess I’ll go make a peanut butter sandwich …. WITH LOTS OF JELLY!!!

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I have also noticed the same thing on the M1 and M2 Mac although it isn't as bad as the reddit video post posted earlier. I can also see it on my 13 mini. The fact that I still have all the devices and use them daily shows that it isn't enough of a problem to interfere with my general usage happiness.

I get that some people are troubled by it more because it was pointed out on the internet, or some people are expecting perfection where technology currently can't abide. I also think there are a lot of people who jump on the hype (for good or bad) bandwagon and post a lot of hyperbolic frivolity akin to the YouTuber headlines of "Don't buy this Mac, iPhone, etc."

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Stone

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Since the Mini 6 was born it was never really an issue about the jelly scroll but the orientation which made it so pronounced. It feels like Apple wants people to use the Mini 6 in landscape which is absurd to me. The iPad Pros have jelly in portrait mode but it’s mitigated by promotion+larger size and Apple wants it to be used in landscape so consumers never noticed.

However, the majority of consumers rightfully use the Mini in portrait as you can grip it with one hand and the Pro’s make more sense to be used in landscape. Apple failed or didn’t care how the consumer used the Mini and maybe the Pencil 2 support played a role in design but the Mini is a flop in the display department. I went to a Best Buy recently and they had 4 used ones and no new ones in stock which speaks volumes to me.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Since the Mini 6 was born it was never really an issue about the jelly scroll but the orientation which made it so pronounced. It feels like Apple wants people to use the Mini 6 in landscape which is absurd to me. The iPad Pros have jelly in portrait mode but it’s mitigated by promotion+larger size and Apple wants it to be used in landscape so consumers never noticed.

However, the majority of consumers rightfully use the Mini in portrait as you can grip it with one hand and the Pro’s make more sense to be used in landscape. Apple failed or didn’t care how the consumer used the Mini and maybe the Pencil 2 support played a role in design but the Mini is a flop in the display department. I went to a Best Buy recently and they had 4 used ones and no new ones in stock which speaks volumes to me.

I actually use the Mini 6 primarily in landscape mode - I prefer using the browser and reading books that way. Holding it isn't an issue as it's small and light enough as to not be burdensome. For me, with cellular it's a great mobile device.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Yeah, we’re running in circles now.

Guess I’ll go make a peanut butter sandwich …. WITH LOTS OF JELLY!!!
When this issue was first reported people swore they could see it in landscape mode too (they weren't talking about horizontal scrolling.) At least those people seem to have gone away.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Went to the Apple Store with a roommate a couple days ago; I was taken aback by just how bad it was in person. Made the jelly scroll on my old mini 4 look normal.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

FattiesGoneWild

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2019

Quite the contrary about selling. It sells well and stock is low right now because of going on sale. My BB had no stock yesterday except for 64gb SG. I got one for $399 BB price matched Amazon for me. It’s also holiday time and shopping is under way already.

Last edited:

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, if the Mini was unpopular they would be in stock. If they are out of stock it is because they are in demand.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

So, it can only be seen in a motion so fast that it wouldn't be possible to read it while scrolling?

Reactions: Hoo Doo Dude

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Bloom on the M1 iPads. Jelly on the Mini 6. M2 didn't have enough upgrades (and no horizontal camera). iPhone 14 camera bump is too thick. New regular iPad is too expensive.

No one is ever happy about anything.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Bloom on the M1 iPads. Jelly on the Mini 6. M2 didn't have enough upgrades (and no horizontal camera). iPhone 14 camera bump is too thick. New regular iPad is too expensive.

I was really happy with my M1 12.9, Mini 6, and 14 Pro Max until forum posts convinced me that I need to hate them. (/s)

Reactions: Rafterman

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU

People were generally happy for M1 MacBook Air, 14" and 16" Pro MacBook Pros and M1 iPad Pros. It was a big, refreshing change.
Then, minor upgrades disappoint people. Nothing wrong about them, it's natural.

But...

iPad mini 6 screen is Apple straight up saving money, and new basic iPad doesn't stand well compared either to gen 9 or Air. That's on Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.