Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have no jellyfish with my M1 Pro or iPad Air 4. Does your M2 have this? I have the 12.9 with mini-led, I imagine THAT makes a difference.
The M2 Pro doesn't have jelly scroll but it doesn't scroll smoothly and has a yellow/red tint when scrolling in dark mode.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
The great thing about living in today's world is we have so many choices.

Jelly scroll is a non factor for me, I don't even notice it. If I did notice and it bothered me I have a plethora of other iPads to choose from, and a handful of non apple tablets to chose from also.

Just odd how many folks are upset and complain?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Jelly scroll is a non factor for me, I don't even notice it. If I did notice and it bothered me I have a plethora of other iPads to choose from, and a handful of non apple tablets to chose from also.

The worst jelly scrolling I have ever seen on any device at any price point and on a 2021 £500 Apple iPad at that is cause for complaint.

It is right up there in terms of severity compared to most complaints on these forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

I don't notice it all either but I can understand people who are sensitive to it being unhappy about it. But for me it's a non-issue.

Reactions: HDFan and culo77

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
The worst jelly scrolling I have ever seen on any device at any price point and on a 2021 £500 Apple iPad at that is cause for complaint.

It is right up there in terms of severity compared to most complaints on these forums.
That is what I am saying, its so wonderful that we have the options we do! For you the jelly is the worst thing since pineapple on pizza so you can just dismiss it and grab another product that doesn't offend you worse than a flatearther explaining physics to you while you are nursing a hangover.

For my use, I don't notice or am not bother by it, I like small I bought it. 1 out of 2 of us are happy about that.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That is what I am saying, its so wonderful that we have the options we do! For you the jelly is the worst thing since pineapple on pizza so you can just dismiss it and grab another product that doesn't offend you worse than a flatearther explaining physics to you while you are nursing a hangover.

For my use, I don't notice or am not bother by it, I like small I bought it. 1 out of 2 of us are happy about that.
That doesn't excuse the issue though. Even if Apple somehow weren't aware of the problem at launch they should have silently fixed it by using another panel. Brand new Mini 6 iPads purchased a year after launch still exhibit this problem.

iGalileo

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016
Mexico City
I have wanted an iPad Mini for some time. It seemed the perfect form factor for reading in bed, one of my favorite uses of an iPad. But I didn't buy one, because I made the mistake of listening to the folks in this forum complaining bitterly about the dreaded Jelly Scroll problem, or loudly proclaiming that they would never buy a Mini until Apple came to its senses and corrected it. What finally got me was a 20% off sale on Amazon, but even then I was dubious and ready to send it back.

Jelly Scrollers, I have no idea what the heck you're talking about. I read in portrait orientation, scrolling back and forth. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the screen. It functions perfectly, as does the rest of the 6th generation iPad Mini. I'm delighted I bought it, and only wish I'd done so earlier.

Moral of the story: don't take the word of random people commenting in the MacRumors forum, including me. Check it out for yourself.
I cannot see the Jolly scroll also, and I'm super happy with the iPad mini, coming from an M1 12.9 iPad Pro, that gave to my son for school.

Reactions: culo77

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
That doesn't excuse the issue though. Even if Apple somehow weren't aware of the problem at launch they should have silently fixed it by using another panel. Brand new Mini 6 iPads purchased a year after launch still exhibit this problem.
No problem exists, nothing to fix. But then again I don’t spend hours a day scrolling rapidly in portrait just so I can see the nature of all 60hz lcd refresh displays. I’ve got real stuff to deal with.

Reactions: culo77 and jdb8167

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
You don't need to scroll rapidly - every swipe of the screen with my finger makes it appear and I notice it each time. Is it a big enough deal to make me use a different device? Nope, but I do wish Apple had oriented the LCD with the assumption that most folks will look at non-video content in a portrait orientation. Or perhaps most don't and I'm the outlier - I dunno.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
No problem exists, nothing to fix. But then again I don’t spend hours a day scrolling rapidly in portrait just so I can see the nature of all 60hz lcd refresh displays. I’ve got real stuff to deal with.
Total BS. I have never noticed this issue previously on ANY display. They may well do it ever so slightly under close scrutiny but the Mini 6 does it blatantly and laughably so.

Oh and you don't have to scroll rapidly to see it either. Content on the display slants to the left or the right as you scroll slowly up or down. Fast up and down scrolling will show the full 'jelly' wobble in all its glory.

Please don't tell me that you can notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz refresh displays yet cannot see the obvious jelly scroll on the iPad Mini 6 because that would be hilarious.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
Sorry for your ultra sensitivity. I have no problem.

Lots of folks can easily see the difference between 60 and 120 hz displays. That’s why they developed 120 hz displays, because all 60 hz displays exhibit this behavior. But some of us, most of us, aren’t affected. The Mini continues to sell well because people like it. You don’t. Difference of opinions, that’s all this is.

Reactions: culo77

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Sorry for your ultra sensitivity. I have no problem.

Lots of folks can easily see the difference between 60 and 120 hz displays. That’s why they developed 120 hz displays, because all 60 hz displays exhibit this behavior. But some of us, most of us, aren’t affected. The Mini continues to sell well because people like it. You don’t. Difference of opinions, that’s all this is.
It isn’t a difference of opinions. The jelly scrolling is fact, not an opinion.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
A fact within the range of normal for 60 hz lcd panels, like it or not.
That’s Apple’s excuse but it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. I have never observed this issue before in any other LCD display at any price point. It may well exist to a small degree but you would have to really hunt for it whereas with the Mini 6 LCD panel it stands out like a sore thumb and laughably so. If it’s perfectly normal then how come the Air 5 doesn’t do it for instance? It has a 60hz screen just like the Mini 6.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I have never observed this issue before in any other LCD display at any price point.
The effect can be observed on most 60 Hz panels in existence at literally any price point. Laptops, PC monitors, TVs, they all do that, just not when the content is moving vertically. There are even dedicated tests for it: https://www.testufo.com/scanskew
If it’s perfectly normal then how come the Air 5 doesn’t do it for instance?
It does do it, just like most other 60 Hz panels in existence.

Holy cow, it's been moths and people still can't grasp the simple concept of LCDs refreshing row by row. Hold your Mini 6 in portrait orientation, boom, there's jelly scrolling. Hold it in landscape, poof, jelly scrolling gone. Mount your TV in portrait orientation, boom, there's jelly scrolling for the exact same reason!

Reactions: jdb8167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.