Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
Back to Star dew Valley and Mario. I've been on a Fortnite kick, though that's been on my ps4 pro.... I'm super stoked about Link's Awakening.

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I´m going to start octopath and hopefully get yoshi´s game in march. Otherwise New Dawn and Destiny 2 on the One X have me pretty occupied gaming-wise.

Has any-one played tiny metal? Is it any good? I´m having and advance wars itch that sadly looks will never be cured; I really want an advance wars switch or a new paper mario. Honestly being a gamer on the switch has brought me back to my snes / n64 childhood.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Pre-ordered Labo VR kit - soo looking forward to it...

Like the fact you just hold it up to your head (like the old ViewMaster).

Looks like you can just use the joycons without he contraptions. You can also put it in "2D" mode without the lenses for kids...

All we need now is for developers to make their existing games Labo VR compatible.

Would be cool if Youtube would make it Labo VR compatible - I watch 3D videos on my new 3DS XL and it's cool but the screen is small...

Battlezone and EVERSPACE VR modes would be sooo cool....

Battlezone at least the Classic mode would be like peering into the periscope in the arcade...

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Can't wait to hear your guys' thoughts on LABO VR!

I love my (new to me) PSVR, so I think I'll sit this one out as I wait for a higher resolution from Nintendo, less disposable solution, or a killer app.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

I love my (new to me) PSVR, so I think I'll sit this one out as I wait for a higher resolution from Nintendo, less disposable solution, or a killer app.

I've been playing around with my PSVR so I can compare.

I would imagine that if Nintendo Labor VR takes off, they could come out with a plastic solution...

Reactions: scottcampbell

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Anything new on those Switch Lite/Pro rumors?
Not really, but it does make you wonder if any other form-factors are really on the table when different console sizes and fixed Joy-Con wouldn't work with LABO...
Anyway, if there's anything to the rumors we will probably hear at E3.

How many years until a new Mario Odyssey game? (Guesses, I know)
Traditionally, one major mainline Mario game per console. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the only exception so far. =) Would you settle for a big pack of DLC?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

I grew up with ViewMaster 3D and love 3D anything...

This YouTube video sums it up:

CONS:
- Putting together the thing (first Labo) - what a pain... gonna skip the blaster.
- Can't play certain games without the Labo Toy-con kit. Was hoping you can just use the connected Joy-cons to control the game, but Nintendo doesn't let you... :(
- Have to remember it's a tablet, so it will be like using a VR headset with one (or a phone). It will be a bit disappointing if you're coming from a PSVR or PCVR. The resolution lacks, framerates okay...
- It is only 2-axis (like the Oculus GO), up-down, left-right. I leaned forward to try to look over an object and it stayed the same distance away.
- may not get third party support (I launched Battlezone - didn't look right of course, but closing one eye and looking through the headset the game would be awesome if it did work).

PROS:
- It is NINTENDO - you will get Nintendo IP's (Zelda and Mario in a couple of weeks). Nintendo can add patches and dlc to be compatible with it.
- Turn-key ease of setup - self contained, no wires.
- Cheap. $40 add-on. That was the price of just the PS4 camera for PSVR.
- If successful - skies the limit! A plastic version? A Switch PRO with better resolution and 3-axis?
- Third parties would be awesome on it (DOOM VFR that works with the Blaster! :eek: ) :)

I ordered mine online, the only store I went to yesterday was Target and they only had 1 of these left.

Any questions ask away...

Last edited:

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019

I got mine yesterday and only had a chance to play around with the VR goggles. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect. I mean, you're holding a low res screen right up against your face and there's only so good you can make that kind of experience. It's fun for a few minutes but due to the low quality of the entire experience, it's easy to get headaches and motion sickness. The games are all VR novelty type games and not something you'd want to play for more than a few minutes. I'm hoping Zelda and Mario will make it really worth it. I also hope Nintendo opens it up to 3rd party games as most people will get bored with the included games fairly quickly.

It doesn't come remotely close to the experience you get from a real VR headset but it's only $40 and still kind of fun. I do like it and am glad I bought it. I wouldn't pay anymore for it and I certainly wouldn't get the complete kit unless you have kids who are really excited about it (and are ok spending hours building the toy cons).

I do think there's a lot Nintendo can do here and I really hope they keep this thing going and expanding on it. Hopefully the next Switch will have a much higher res screen as that would improve the experience a lot.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
The games are all VR novelty type games and not something you'd want to play for more than a few minutes. I'm hoping Zelda and Mario will make it really worth it. I also hope Nintendo opens it up to 3rd party games as most people will get bored with the included games fairly quickly.

Just like any game system, it will be in the software that makes the experience.

Maybe that's what people were afraid of - just novelty games. Hence, Nintendo is releasing updates for their two best IP's in just a couple of weeks...

I'm hoping for Battlezone Gold and DOOM VFR (blaster compatible) as well as others. I play DOOM VFR with the PS AIM controller and it is a total blast!!!

Last edited:

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
This guy gave a heads-up with Zelda BOTW having a VR mode (where you look around) or a 3D mode (where you just play in 3D).

then it dawned on me that you can watch in 3D the videos that are for Oculus/Google in Labor VR!!!

I pulled these up - OMG they're awesome!!!

I posted the question in Steam if EVERSPACE was going to have a Labo VR mode, the Dev said "no", I can always dream...

Next up from Nintendo (IMHO): Mario Kart and Mario Tennis... ;)

The Switch IS a 3DS replacement!!!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I need to preface- this isnt a troll post, and Im not a Switch hater, I own one and have had plenty of fun with it over time especially for a system thats only two years old in the scope of things (BoTW, MK8D, Splatoon2, light Smash, beating+trading Tropic Freeze [and later scooping a cheap copy on WiiU], Captain Toad, etc.) though I think it's been my least used recently between 3ds/wii and wii u I also own.

I still can’t get over how crappy the buttons and joysticks feel after some time with a GameCube controller.. especially the joysticks. And its not just my set of joycons, I have three pairs: yellow, SPlatoon, and neon blue.

I get that it’s not a Controller it’s a handheld / hybrid system but still.

The GamePad on Wii U even has way nicer joysticks and buttons.. and the switch Pro controller of course. I wish they did like Pro-Controller joycons.

Maybe the (two?) rumored Switch hardware refreshes coming out this year will address this?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I still can’t get over how crappy the buttons and joysticks feel after some time with a GameCube controller.. especially the joysticks. And its not just my set of joycons, I have three pairs: yellow, SPlatoon, and neon blue.

I get that it’s not a Controller it’s a handheld / hybrid system but still.

The GamePad on Wii U even has way nicer joysticks and buttons.. and the switch Pro controller of course. I wish they did like Pro-Controller joycons.

Maybe the (two?) rumored Switch hardware refreshes coming out this year will address this?

They tried to keep costs down below $300.

Yeah, my sticks are starting to drift.

I think the next iteration will fix it. Maybe the "pro joy-cons" will be better and work on the original and you can get those.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
They tried to keep costs down below $300.

Yeah, my sticks are starting to drift.

I think the next iteration will fix it. Maybe the "pro joy-cons" will be better and work on the original and you can get those.

I dont have drift issues, knock on wood, they just feel like disposable joysticks..

and especially at $80 a pair, it seems like a massive oversight

maybe I need to just start playing docked w pro controller all the time, but I like handhelds too...wah

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I dont have drift issues, knock on wood, they just feel like disposable joysticks..

and especially at $80 a pair, it seems like a massive oversight

maybe I need to just start playing docked w pro controller all the time, but I like handhelds too...wah
Hey doggfather, totally see where you're coming from here.
I play docked with the Pro Controller all the time, because I think it may just be the best gaming controller ever. I event take the Pro Controller with me to play in tabletop mode. However, I hear you on the Joy-Con.
If you especially love playing handheld, then I recommend you look into the Satisfye grip. I haven't bought it yet, but I probably will because everyone raves about it making handheld gaming so much better. It gives you way more leverage, makes the Switch feel sturdier, and lines up your thumbs with the buttons/sticks better.

Reactions: thadoggfather

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Haha so much for the new Switch appearing.. Nintendo said no new system last year, and now they’ve said the same for this year. Sure they said at E3, but they said no new ‘hardware’, no hardware means anything like controllers, a new dock, anything, as well as a console.

I’ll believe it when I see it at this moment in time.

More importantly, Mortal Kombat 11 for my Switch, or Days Gone for my PS4 Pro?

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
So the Persona 5 news kind of bummed me out, decided to just go ahead and play through the PS4 version of that.

I did however pick up Final Fantasy X/X-2 which I'm excited to play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.