Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I went back and played the Switch the other day, using the regular joycons on the side rail, rather than the retroflag grip I have.
The stock experience has to be one of the least comfortable handhelds I've ever used. I'm tempted to just sell off my v1 and buy use the wife's Lite for Tears of the Kingdom.
I've been spoiled by the Ayaneo Air which has been my main gaming "console" for the last few months. It's good that all the recent PC handhelds have remembered that ergonomics were a thing.

Reactions: Fozzybadfeet

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I went back and played the Switch the other day, using the regular joycons on the side rail, rather than the retroflag grip I have.
The stock experience has to be one of the least comfortable handhelds I've ever used. I'm tempted to just sell off my v1 and buy use the wife's Lite for Tears of the Kingdom.
I've been spoiled by the Ayaneo Air which has been my main gaming "console" for the last few months. It's good that all the recent PC handhelds have remembered that ergonomics were a thing.
Whoa, never heard of an Ayaneo Air until now. That thing looks nice.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
We are way overdue for a new switch. About an hour in to Tears of the Kingdom and have some slowdowns, and the shadows look very rough. After the first area my immediate reaction was "Man this is way too low res". I am playing docked.
Interesting - playing handheld I have exactly zero issues over first few hours ...

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I am an xbox series x guy and have barely used my switch the past two years.

Never cared much for zelda but last week fomo got the best of me. I purchased Zelda TOK.

What an incredible experience it is. A master class in how to produce an expansive but highly engaging openworld game. So far it has minimal meaningless npcs, filler content, excessive achievement and repetetife grinding.

I can't stop playing the game! :D☺️

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have large hands and find the switch highly uncomfortable to play on. Have you used the joy con grip or a pro controller. Alternatively buy a silicon case that adds thickness to the joy cons.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The fan on my Switch stopped working, so I have to send it in for a repair. Lovely. 2-3 week turnaround time 🙃

It was only overheating in the dock, so I played TOTK in handheld mode for a while and I agree, it's SO uncomfortable. My fingers were going numb.

• Wow
Reactions: Fozzybadfeet

EmlynDewar

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Chengdu, China
I have large hands and find the switch highly uncomfortable to play on. Have you used the joy con grip or a pro controller. Alternatively buy a silicon case that adds thickness to the joy cons.
I use a retroflag grip and it's a night and day difference. I just hadn't used the regular joycons on it for a long time.
I need to change out the battery on my console, so the slight additional powerdraw of the grip is not welcome at the moment.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I use a retroflag grip and it's a night and day difference. I just hadn't used the regular joycons on it for a long time.
I need to change out the battery on my console, so the slight additional powerdraw of the grip is not welcome at the moment.
Are they x,y,a and b buttons bigger then on the joycons?

The next version is supposed to use a 7040, which is the CPU the Ally is based on.
I am keen on a successor but avoiding thinking about one. When it launches, US and Japanese demand will be meet first. If you think the PS5 supply shortage was bad, multiply it by ten for the switch successor. 😅😫

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The fan on my Switch stopped working, so I have to send it in for a repair. Lovely. 2-3 week turnaround time 🙃

It was only overheating in the dock, so I played TOTK in handheld mode for a while and I agree, it's SO uncomfortable. My fingers were going numb.
So here's a positive update. I put the request for a repair in on Tuesday, and they already fixed it and it's being delivered on Saturday. 4 day turnaround time, cool. And they did it completely free, even though I'm out of warranty!

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

I haven't even touched my Switch in handheld mode ever since I got a Steam Deck. Going back to the Switch now it feels too small and uncomfortable.

God I pray for the day Nintendo starts doing PC ports because I really do not want to use this form factor anymore. I'm constantly afraid of the Joycons breaking off.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I haven't even touched my Switch in handheld mode ever since I got a Steam Deck. Going back to the Switch now it feels too small and uncomfortable.

God I pray for the day Nintendo starts doing PC ports because I really do not want to use this form factor anymore. I'm constantly afraid of the Joycons breaking off.
I dunno if Nintendo would ever do more/any? PC ports of their games. I guess it would be neat if they did though.

Reactions: Burningtime

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I dunno if Nintendo would ever do more/any? PC ports of their games. I guess it would be neat if they did though.

If there's one thing I've learned about Nintendo, it's never say never. They're the kings of left field.

People said they'd never do mobile games, as mobile games would take away from their handhelds, and in 2015 they started doing mobile games, and fast forward now and their mobile division makes billions a year with Mario Kart Tour, Fire Emblem Heroes, and of course Pokemon Go.

They also said Nintendo would never make movies, and when the Mario movie was announced many thought it would flop, and it made a billion in two weeks before it even released in Japan.

People also said Sony would never do PC releases of their PlayStation exclusives, and then in 2021 after Horizon Zero Dawn's rough but successful port, it became official, and their PC division reported a billion in profit from ports alone last quarter.

Consoles and PCs are separate markets and the PC gaming market is too big to ignore nowadays. One day Nintendo will come around. It's not if, it's when, especially as investors are constantly pressuring them to do it. Might not be tomorrow, might not be a month from now, might not be a year from now. But one day it will happen, even if it's just ports of older titles from the Switch catalog that plateau'd in sales or retro game collections.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
PLAYABLE DAISY

PLAYABLE DAISY

DAISY IS PLAYABLE IN A NEW MAINLINE MARIO GAME

Oh... a lot of new Mario stuff indeed! I've only heard of a remakes for Super Mario RPG, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (the 2nd one in the series, for DS), and a new game (2D side view, but can also go "up and down") with Princess Peach as the main character.

Like with many, would've been thrilled to have some news of Zelda: Tears, but I already that it's been greenlit, so I can be patient there. Esp. since I'm still busy with the stuff as is in Tears of the Kingdom. That, and I've deliberately NOT updated the game so I can continue using the v1.1.1 "easy use duplication glitch".

And the "mainline" part is key, as she was playable in Super Mario Run.

Yeah in 2021 they FINALLY added the ability to use bluetooth headphones. It's pretty asinine you couldn't for years despite the console supporting bluetooth.
Well, as long as we're on asinine, while I really like the upgrade many months back going from a Google Pixel 4A to a Pixel 6 (larger, wider screen for one), losing the headphone jack was something that hit me, even for someone who hardly connects headphones to it (what's worse is I bought a USB-C to headphone jack adaptor, but can't seem to find it :\ ). On my Switch, it still has a headphone jack :)

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Oh... a lot of new Mario stuff indeed! I've only heard of a remakes for Super Mario RPG, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (the 2nd one in the series, for DS), and a new game (2D side view, but can also go "up and down") with Princess Peach as the main character.

Like with many, would've been thrilled to have some news of Zelda: Tears, but I already that it's been greenlit, so I can be patient there. Esp. since I'm still busy with the stuff as is in Tears of the Kingdom. That, and I've deliberately NOT updated the game so I can continue using the v1.1.1 "easy use duplication glitch".

And the "mainline" part is key, as she was playable in Super Mario Run.

Well, as long as we're on asinine, while I really like the upgrade many months back going from a Google Pixel 4A to a Pixel 6 (larger, wider screen for one), losing the headphone jack was something that hit me, even for someone who hardly connects headphones to it (what's worse is I bought a USB-C to headphone jack adaptor, but can't seem to find it :\ ). On my Switch, it still has a headphone jack :)
Artwork:
IMG_0292.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.