Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I’m amazed at how much stuff there is to do in TOTK. I go to do one thing, then I’m distracted by another thing. And then before I know it, I find myself delivering honey to some guy playing a drum. Haha.
I haven't done the main story line in about 30 hours now. Just enjoying side stuff.

Reactions: dannyyankou

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
2D Mario really needed a shake up. They’ve been using the same formula and aesthetic for the last 17 years. It looks like they were really creative with this one.

Yes yes art style and gameplay wise it's eye popping, but that's not the thing everyone's focused on. Princess Daisy being a playable character is a lot more significant

Context time: Princess Daisy has been an oddball character in the Mario franchise for a long time, just like Waluigi. Her first appearance was Super Mario Land on the original Game Boy in 1989, however until now, that has been her only mainline appearance as mainly just a replacement Princess Peach, and she was indistinguishable from Peach.

images

She was originally supposed to be just a one off to be a princess from another land in place of Peach. She didn't reappear until the first Mario Tennis on the Nintendo 64 in 2000 since Nintendo needed characters for their new sports spinoff, so she was called back in to boost the roster. In Mario Tennis she got a more detailed look, but was ultimately still just Peach but colored yellow.

FIEnUzPXMAEgo6O.jpg

She just came out of nowhere, and since then she's become a reoccurring character in spinoff games. In Mario Party 4 in 2002 is when she got her design as we know it today.

220px-Daisy_%28Super_Mario_Party%29.png

And since then she has received many changes to her to set her apart from Peach. She's energetic, spunky, can easily become a short fuse, and is just overall a upbeat bombastic personality...sometimes to her detriment as evident in Mario Kart Double Dash where she got her infamous catchphrase "Hi I'm Daisy!"

And despite all that, her positive attitude and vibrant design has garnered her a cult following around the world. She became more popular than Peach because until the Mario Movie Peach didn't really have a personality and was always sidelined as the endgoal of a Mario game, unlike Daisy.

Just one problem, and it's the same problem Waluigi has: She was only used in spinoffs. Daisy's only appearance in a main Mario game was Mario Land. Even Princess Rosalina who only appeared in Mario Galaxy showed up in more mainline Mario games as she was playable in Super Mario 3D World, and almost had a cameo appearance in Mario Odyssey. With Daisy's massive fanbase they begged Nintendo to put her in proper Mario games again, but Nintendo had no interest in pushing her. She was added to the mobile game y'all forgot about Super Mario Run as a bonus character, but hardly anyone got her since she required a massive grind in Remix 10 mode.

But then in 2018, something happened. Super Smash Bros Ultimate was announced, and during the E3 showcase the Echo Fighters were announced, characters that are clones of existing fighters but with a different appearance and animations so characters who were fan favorites but too similar to existing characters could get into the game. Ken Masters appeared as an echo of Ryu, as well as Dark Samus and others. But one echo stood out: Daisy. After numerous fan requests Daisy finally got into Smash as an echo fighter. Getting into Smash changed perception of Daisy as an important character if she was able to get into Smash Bros, to the point when she initially wasn't in Mario Strikers Battle League there was massive outcry about her being missing.

And now we've arrived to Super Mario Bros Wonder, and the big bombshell.

51e0f37f3460ee2ed6776cd67f9007d7

After 34 years, Daisy has finally returned into a mainline Mario game, and this time she's actually a playable character. Daisy becoming playable cements her as a mainstay Mario character, a character who's important enough that her being gone would raise questions. Her becoming playable is a massive victory for her passionate fans who loved her for decades. This is a dream come true for so many people, to the point the word Daisy was trending on Twitter for days. People are more focused on Daisy actually being a playable character more than how amazing the game itself already looks.

So yeah, I guess you could call it a shake up. ;)

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I sold Tears of Kingdom this week. Gotta love the resale value of Switch games. Purchased for £47 on launch day. Played for 85 hours and sold for £33 almost 2 months later. :D

The problem is, I don't know what to buy next. lol. Waiting for Hogwarts Legacy to drop to £20-30 or come to gamepads.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
After sitting on it for a while, Tears Of The Kingdom is better than Breath Of The Wild in every single way. And I didn't think that was possible. The only negative thing I can say is that I can't experience it for the first time again

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
After sitting on it for a while, Tears Of The Kingdom is better than Breath Of The Wild in every single way. And I didn't think that was possible. The only negative thing I can say is that I can't experience it for the first time again

I appreciate ToTK and will pick it up again shortly but had to take a long breather after 20 hours and completing one temple (the wind one).

Even playing BoTW at switch's launch nearly 6 years ago, I wish I could experience the universe for the first time again and that's probably the problem I'm feeling, even though this is a superior game- agreed.

But maybe also feeling general open world general exhaustion. I need a return to linearity in games and like I'm progressing (I am with hearts and stamina, but still lots of get from A to B stuffs)

The mini game like Caves are great, as are the physics and building mechanics, but something isn't hitting as hard for me as many others. Maybe I just need it to collect a little dust and re visit later for it to grow on me more but idk

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
But maybe also feeling general open world general exhaustion. I need a return to linearity in games and like I'm progressing (I am with hearts and stamina, but still lots of get from A to B stuffs)
Open world fatigue is a thing. TOK was the first open world game that I played this year. It was an amazing adventure with never-before-experienced mechanics for me. However, I will am now taking a 3-6 month break until I commit to another open world game like AC or Hogwarts Legacy.

However, I might be tempted to buy a new Mario game for some casual and fun bursts of game play.

Reactions: George Dawes

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Me too. Nintendo has a good deal where if you have a switch online membership (it doesn't even have to be the expansion one), you can get 2 game vouchers for $100. I used them to pre-order both Wonder and Super Mario RPG.
I considered doing that, but the main thing other than that I'd make use of is the cloud backups. And even then, I don't know if they're still retained if you let your subscription lapse. FWIW, I was told recently that the games on there can utilize save states and rewind feature! (like Capcom Arcade; 2nd Stadium :cool:). The cheapest buy-in would be one month for $6. The free trial is NOT eligible for the vouchers!

However, I did purchase gift cards from Costco, so there's a discount there (IIRC, $100 worth for $80)

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Two news updates.

The first, tomorrow we have a Super Mario Bros Wonder Direct containing 15 minutes of info about the game

The second, is September 8th we have a Splatoon 3 one year anniversary Splatfest. This Splatfest is to determine who shall be the leader of the idol group Deep Cut: Shiver, Frye, or Big Man?

But this Splatfest has some drama, as Big Man who is Deep Cut's song master was caught doing a collaboration with the other popular idol group the Squid Sisters, in disguise as his persona "Ian BGM." To say Shiver and Frye aren't happy about this is an understatement, to the point they've made a diss track that samples their argument with Big Man.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I picked up a second hand Switch Lite the other week. It must be my fourth or fifth Switch I’ve had lol. Anyway I couldn’t resist any longer with all the games that have or are coming out. But I think I’ll be getting their new console next year, very excited to see what it’s like and offers.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I picked up a second hand Switch Lite the other week. It must be my fourth or fifth Switch I’ve had lol. Anyway I couldn’t resist any longer with all the games that have or are coming out. But I think I’ll be getting their new console next year, very excited to see what it’s like and offers.
I’m confused - do you just keep selling them off when done playing a game? I mean I bought a Switch a few years ago and … that’s it.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’m confused - do you just keep selling them off when done playing a game? I mean I bought a Switch a few years ago and … that’s it.

Long story….

Got an OG one not long after launch, then traded it in for a Switch Lite when it launched, then decided I wanted the bigger screen again so got the updated OG model and sold the Lite, then I’m sure I got another Lite as I liked it’s design but I decided nah and sent it back. Then I sold my updated OG Switch for a Steam Deck.

And then I got my latest one. So I’ve only ever had one at a time. Just several of them lol.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Long story….

Got an OG one not long after launch, then traded it in for a Switch Lite when it launched, then decided I wanted the bigger screen again so got the updated OG model and sold the Lite, then I’m sure I got another Lite as I liked it’s design but I decided nah and sent it back. Then I sold my updated OG Switch for a Steam Deck.

And then I got my latest one. So I’ve only ever had one at a time. Just several of them lol.
Lol. Why not just own a Switch and Lite at the same time?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Lol. Why not just own a Switch and Lite at the same time?

In that user case, I was thinking an OLED Switch should cover both on feature set... good handheld gaming, while being able to play in TV mode.

Haha nah, I thought about it but I actually prefer the Lite. Smaller screen maybe but I prefer it's more solid feel. Plus this close to a new console next year I didn't want to spend a whole lot.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Haha nah, I thought about it but I actually prefer the Lite. Smaller screen maybe but I prefer it's more solid feel. Plus this close to a new console next year I didn't want to spend a whole lot.
The release of the successor will be utter mayhem. 192 existing switch owners, YouTubers, wannabe YouTubers and scalpers will be fighting to get one. I think it will be at least 24months after release that an average person can walk into a store and find one on the shelf.

Good luck everyone! :D

Reactions: George Dawes

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The release of the successor will be utter mayhem. 192 existing switch owners, YouTubers, wannabe YouTubers and scalpers will be fighting to get one. I think it will be at least 24months after release that an average person can walk into a store and find one on the shelf.

Good luck everyone! :D

I got my Series X at launch from Amazon, just have to know what to keep an eye on for stock. But I won’t get one at launch anyway, let the bugs be ironed out first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.