Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
How's the controls?
I have always been interested in playing the Bioshock games, but I am not used to playing FPS using controllers/gamepad. I am not sure if it would be playable vs keyboard/mouse, but I don't really do PC gaming anymore. My main concern is aiming. Will it be hard? Do you just have to spray bullets around? Genuinely curious.

The controls are somewhat harder at first when playing on handmode. After a couple of plays I've gotten used to it.

Reactions: ian87w

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The controls are somewhat harder at first when playing on handmode. After a couple of plays I've gotten used to it.
How accurate is it? I never play an FPS on a console, used to play them strictly on PC with mouse+keyboard. Aiming with a gamepad feels like trying to aim while drunk... :D It's so bad that I heard many games actually use assisted aiming on consoles since it just cannot be as accurate as a mouse. Does the Switch controls affect your enjoyment of the game?

Reactions: Bento.Box

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
How accurate is it? I never play an FPS on a console, used to play them strictly on PC with mouse+keyboard. Aiming with a gamepad feels like trying to aim while drunk... :D It's so bad that I heard many games actually use assisted aiming on consoles since it just cannot be as accurate as a mouse. Does the Switch controls affect your enjoyment of the game?

It's pretty sensitive and aiming controls are a hit and miss haha you gotta have patience when making your shots

And no actually playing on the switch feels much more native, I'm enjoying it

When you play through it gets easier,

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The response of the left analog stick on my Pro Controller seems to be a little off center. Character will move to the right if you just breathe on the stick, and it takes considerable movement to make it start moving to the left. Is this what people call „stick drift“? Any way to fix this?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
How's the controls?
I have always been interested in playing the Bioshock games, but I am not used to playing FPS using controllers/gamepad. I am not sure if it would be playable vs keyboard/mouse, but I don't really do PC gaming anymore. My main concern is aiming. Will it be hard? Do you just have to spray bullets around? Genuinely curious.
I guess it's something you could get used to? I've seen someone in my game group play Doom Eternal on Switch, and it seemed to work well enough for him (and he's by no means someone who really plays FPS).

For me, I also prefer kb+m, but that doesn't mean much since I was never great at FPS even in that case :\

The response of the left analog stick on my Pro Controller seems to be a little off center. Character will move to the right if you just breathe on the stick, and it takes considerable movement to make it start moving to the left. Is this what people call „stick drift“? Any way to fix this?
AFAIK, Joy Con drift is strictly when if your analog is neutral, it'll still move slowly (if only at first) in one direction without any user input. However, it sounds like your case may be headed there in due time. Regardless, that ain't right. There are DIY articles and videos on how to fix it (IIRC, clearing dirt/debris), but even then, that' should only be a temporary fix. For long term, you should contact Nintendo for help. This is the result of a manufacturer issue, so they should repair it for free (warranties and where you bought them not withstanding). The same person mentioned above recently sent in 8 pairs of Joy Cons for repair. Was expecting to get them back in 2 weeks, but it only took just over a week! :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Taustin Powers

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
AFAIK, Joy Con drift is strictly when if your analog is neutral, it'll still move slowly (if only at first) in one direction without any user input. However, it sounds like your case may be headed there in due time. Regardless, that ain't right. There are DIY articles and videos on how to fix it (IIRC, clearing dirt/debris), but even then, that' should only be a temporary fix. For long term, you should contact Nintendo for help. This is the result of a manufacturer issue, so they should repair it for free (warranties and where you bought them not withstanding). The same person mentioned above recently sent in 8 pairs of Joy Cons for repair. Was expecting to get them back in 2 weeks, but it only took just over a week! :cool:

Thanks for that feedback. In my case, the character would already start moving, if I just rest my thumb on the analog stick. I went into the Switch settings and did an analog stick calibration. It seemed better after that, I will keep an eye on it.

Reactions: ackmondual

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm considering getting a Nintendo Switch Lite as they are £185 new on Amazon. I'm interested in Animal Crossing, the Zelda games and a few of the RPGs available. I'm just not sure if it is worth it or not. I have been playing on my old 3DS, and there is something I love about Nintendo consoles that my Xbox series X cannot compete with.

What are your views?

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I'm considering getting a Nintendo Switch Lite as they are £185 new on Amazon. I'm interested in Animal Crossing, the Zelda games and a few of the RPGs available. I'm just not sure if it is worth it or not. I have been playing on my old 3DS, and there is something I love about Nintendo consoles that my Xbox series X cannot compete with.

What are your views?
The people I know will never bother with a Sw Lite since they do 90% to 99% of their gaming docked, which is removed from the Switch Lite. However, if you're comfy with that, then that's a good reason for you! AFAIK, there's no Joy Con drift there since it's a different system? (Otherwise, you'd need to get the whole console serviced to fix that)

Reactions: Cromulent

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
The people I know will never bother with a Sw Lite since they do 90% to 99% of their gaming docked, which is removed from the Switch Lite. However, if you're comfy with that, then that's a good reason for you! AFAIK, there's no Joy Con drift there since it's a different system? (Otherwise, you'd need to get the whole console serviced to fix that)
Thank you.

My choice is either the lite or the OLED. The OLED would be great to play in handheld mode because of the better screen, but I also need to consider the higher cost.

If I got the OLED could I play with the handheld console and plug my 3.5mm headphones into the portable controller when playing on the TV? One of my main requirements is being able to play games using headphones or earbuds. Would my Apple AirPods Pro 1st gen work, for example?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
As an 80's kid whose early gaming years were defined by the likes of Super Mario Bros. and Zelda -- I'm quite ashamed to admit that I've had a Switch and BotW since launch.... and I've yet to actually complete a single play-thru of BotW!!

But somehow I have some new-found motivation haha.
Who else is looking forward to Tears of the Kingdom? Release expected in May next year.

This franchise is literally the only reason I own a switch. Absolutely can’t wait for this.

Bento.Box

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2022
My choice is either the lite or the OLED. The OLED would be great to play in handheld mode because of the better screen, but I also need to consider the higher cost.

Apart from the dock (which is great when traveling to connect to Hotel TVs), you can't use the Flip Grip on the Lite to play the games vertically that support it. Those are often flippers and vertical shooters.

If I got the OLED could I play with the handheld console and plug my 3.5mm headphones into the portable controller when playing on the TV? One of my main requirements is being able to play games using headphones or earbuds. Would my Apple AirPods Pro 1st gen work, for example?

I never tried that. BT headsets work now, but I experienced troubles connecting to my cheap earpods from China (they need an app to set up on iOS).

You can always get the audio signal out of your amp or some TVs to your headset, but that might not be an option in a hotel.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Did anyone watch last nights Nintendo Direct?

Yup. Thought it was really good. I was getting worried as the first 15min were kinda bland but then the Octopath 2 demo dropped and then Metroid Prime Remastered appeared and then they ended with Zelda and it looks pretty good (although the voice acting is still subpar).

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I skipped most of it to get to the part about about Tears of the Kingdom. I can’t wait to see how the game will turn out.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I picked up Metroid Prime Remastered from the eShop. Also to anyone that loves Baseball, Konami just released Power Pros for the Switch for the awesome asking price of 99 cents and it includes everything!

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I found out recently that the Switch is a horrible system to play Minecraft on. Really bad drawing distance, the world takes forever to load. Like, turn around to the left, and sit back and wait for all the blocks to slowly pop up. Is the Switch really this weak, or is the game just not well optimized for it?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I found out recently that the Switch is a horrible system to play Minecraft on. Really bad drawing distance, the world takes forever to load. Like, turn around to the left, and sit back and wait for all the blocks to slowly pop up. Is the Switch really this weak, or is the game just not well optimized for it?
Probably a bit of both.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
I can’t help but imagine what Tears of the Kingdom will be like when you emulate it on a Mac/PC. Hopefully it won’t be like BoTW emulated by Ryujinx on Mac, where it is very laggy.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Did anyone see that the UK CMA might have hinted at a Switch 2?

I think we can conclude now a new console is on its way, I mean the Switch is in its 6th or 7th year now. But we have now started to get some actual creditable leaks. Like the recent developer who stated the updated graphics patch for Pokémon will launch when the when the new ‘Switch Models’ are put probably early 2024, that post has since been deleted and their account closed too at the instruction if Nintendo apparently. Still this leaker got everything bang on about the new Pokémon games 3 months or so before launch.

It’s actually a very good time now, because we seem to finally be getting some proper next gen games for the new consoles this year and next, and fingers crossed a new Nintendo console next year too.

Reactions: MmkLucario
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.