Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
1614029466653.png

what do you guys make of these? I think they look really pretty

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What is everyone playing these days?

I got MH Rise the other week, and I still can't even complete the first quest with Dual Blades haha.

Great game though, runs spectacularly in handheld and doesn't seem Souls level difficult. I just haven't gotten the hang of it, but I want to. First time with the franchise.

Otherwise I got Hades, and some other multiplats in my backlog.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Sorry to break it to you.... it sucked in 2011 its going to suck now too.... especially since they didn't even bother to update the graphics. Only Zelda game I didn't beat.... I just gave up on it the controls were awful

before you go they fixed the controls.... they didn't fix it they just made it playable with the new controls. Also for $60 this is a huge rip off. 10 year old game ported from the Wii !!! Honestly I don't fee bad modding my Wii U and just playing all these old games on ROMS. Nintendo are criminals with the stuff they get away with

Reactions: JMacHack

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Umm no they aren't ? Criminals are criminals rather than entities that are businesses which surely are here to make money and charge whatever the market will stand ?

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Hopefully BOTW2 comes out end of this year, or we get some solid sneak peaks and timeline at least.
Well we now know it won't be out this year. Were you at least satisfied with the trailer? That was the main thing I was waiting for, though I was hoping it would be the first game out on a new console. Speaking of, no "Switch Pro" news either, there was a lot of speculation about that, but nothing materialized.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Well we now know it won't be out this year. Were you at least satisfied with the trailer? That was the main thing I was waiting for, though I was hoping it would be the first game out on a new console. Speaking of, no "Switch Pro" news either, there was a lot of speculation about that, but nothing materialized.

Honestly, no expectations but even with that a bit disappointed. Not by no official title and 'hopefully 2022' ETA but

Someone else pointed out the initial trailer years ago looked like a really dark theme and more dungeon focused

This now seems like... it takes place above Hyrule in the clouds? I prefer the former

I'm looking forward to BoTW2, but I'd be shocked if it could capture how lost I got in the first one, especially as a launch Switch game and 4 years ago. Still, it's probably going to be amazing I'm just healthily skeptical, especially concerned of exhaustion from re-used assets.

--

BUT I didn't think this was a bad Direct. Metroid Dread in particular stole the show for me. it looks awesome, even hearing rumblings of a 2D Metroid surfacing.

Not that interested in Mario Party Superstars, Warioware (though I'm cool they're keeping it going) or Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp (same sentiment).

Old school seems to be the prevailing theme

I wish we got a reveal of Twilight Princess / Wind Waker HD dual pack but I have Wind Waker HD on Wii U and have already dabbled a bunch. Or 3D Donkey Kong / another DK in general even if 2D.

The switch pro thing has turned out to be one continuous farce. It'll happen, just who knows when probably next year or even the following at this point. That's fine I just got a Lite and V2 to replace my V1 that has a beat up battery and the old less power efficient CPU (both for a great price)

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Sorry to break it to you.... it sucked in 2011 its going to suck now too.... especially since they didn't even bother to update the graphics. Only Zelda game I didn't beat.... I just gave up on it the controls were awful

before you go they fixed the controls.... they didn't fix it they just made it playable with the new controls. Also for $60 this is a huge rip off. 10 year old game ported from the Wii !!! Honestly I don't fee bad modding my Wii U and just playing all these old games on ROMS. Nintendo are criminals with the stuff they get away with
Nice to see someone who hates Skyward Sword as much as I do.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I really liked the ocarina of time game. Still remember the days playing on my n64.
I haven’t played botw all too much, as well my son. Animal crossing was a great time killer, but haven’t touch that either for almost a year.

Reactions: JMacHack

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Honestly, no expectations but even with that a bit disappointed. Not by no official title and 'hopefully 2022' ETA but

Someone else pointed out the initial trailer years ago looked like a really dark theme and more dungeon focused

This now seems like... it takes place above Hyrule in the clouds? I prefer the former

I'm looking forward to BoTW2, but I'd be shocked if it could capture how lost I got in the first one, especially as a launch Switch game and 4 years ago. Still, it's probably going to be amazing I'm just healthily skeptical, especially concerned of exhaustion from re-used assets.

--

BUT I didn't think this was a bad Direct. Metroid Dread in particular stole the show for me. it looks awesome, even hearing rumblings of a 2D Metroid surfacing.

Not that interested in Mario Party Superstars, Warioware (though I'm cool they're keeping it going) or Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp (same sentiment).

Old school seems to be the prevailing theme

I wish we got a reveal of Twilight Princess / Wind Waker HD dual pack but I have Wind Waker HD on Wii U and have already dabbled a bunch. Or 3D Donkey Kong / another DK in general even if 2D.

The switch pro thing has turned out to be one continuous farce. It'll happen, just who knows when probably next year or even the following at this point. That's fine I just got a Lite and V2 to replace my V1 that has a beat up battery and the old less power efficient CPU (both for a great price)
I didn't really have any expectations either, but held out hope for a new console announcement. I sold my Switch last year. I no longer used it and people were desperate for entertainment during lockdown, so I got rid of it.

That's why I was hoping for an announcement of a new console and BOTW 2 to be for that, so I could have something to look forward to and get a new console.

Would definitely like to see a new Donkey Kong in 3D. I really enjoyed DK on the N64 so something like that would be fun.

I've never played any Metroid games. For me all the fun in video games is mainly nostalgia, that's why I really like Zelda and Mario games, they remind me of how fun it was to play them as a kid with Ocarina of Time and Mario 64.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I must be one console generation older than you. I remember how much fun it was to play these games as a kid with Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Mario World on the SNES. :D

Reactions: Burningtime

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I have bought a Switch! It's a companion console to my Series X and mainly for playing socially with the kids! :cool:

Although I played Nintendo at my friend's homes 15-20 years ago, this is the first Nintendo console that I have owned.

The Switch that I have bought came with Mario Kart Deluxe, 51 Mini games and Just Dance. What I would like recommendations on is a fun game that I coop with my 5 year old daughter.

I have discounted Mario Party because the mini games look one dimensional and don't appear to be fun as 1 player. At the top of my list is Mario 3D World. From the videos I have watched, it looks extremely fun to coop but also light suitable for my daughter to play as 1 player and improve her gaming skills without too much pressure.

Should I buy the game or do you recommend a different game.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2017
CA
I have bought a Switch! It's a companion console to my Series X and mainly for playing socially with the kids! :cool:

Although I played Nintendo at my friend's homes 15-20 years ago, this is the first Nintendo console that I have owned.

The Switch that I have bought came with Mario Kart Deluxe, 51 Mini games and Just Dance. What I would like recommendations on is a fun game that I coop with my 5 year old daughter.

I have discounted Mario Party because the mini games look one dimensional and don't appear to be fun as 1 player. At the top of my list is Mario 3D World. From the videos I have watched, it looks extremely fun to coop but also light suitable for my daughter to play as 1 player and improve her gaming skills without too much pressure.

Should I buy the game or do you recommend a different game.
Wait for Mario Party All-Stars to release. It should be really fun with your daughter! Also I would highly recommend Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 if she is okay with challenging games.

Super Mario 3D World VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, Also if she likes Zelda games the remake of Skyward Sword could be fun But definitely the Link’s awakening remake. You could read for her and help her explore the 2D world.

If you’re all right with the style of game Diablo 3 and the upcoming Diablo 2 remake would be great. I loved those games when I was her age (diablo 2). It depends on her maturity and what you want to play/allow her to play but don’t discount them simply because they don’t seem like children’s games. They’re great fun for anyone especially if you’re there to help read/explain.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Wait for Mario Party All-Stars to release. It should be really fun with your daughter! Also I would highly recommend Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 if she is okay with challenging games.

Super Mario 3D World VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, Also if she likes Zelda games the remake of Skyward Sword could be fun But definitely the Link’s awakening remake. You could read for her and help her explore the 2D world.

If you’re all right with the style of game Diablo 3 and the upcoming Diablo 2 remake would be great. I loved those games when I was her age (diablo 2). It depends on her maturity and what you want to play/allow her to play but don’t discount them simply because they don’t seem like children’s games. They’re great fun for anyone especially if you’re there to help read/explain.
Thanks for the ideas. She has only been gaming for 2 months, playing Paw Patrol on a Roll using a children's xbox controller on my XBX.

Although I will let her play Diablo and slightly more mature games, it's waay to advanced for her at this stage. Remember that some of use had an easy entry to gaming with simple 2D platformers using a directional pad - Mostly walking to the right and jumping.

In 6-12 she should read well and fast enough to play games like Animal Crossing and Zelda without adult help.

She borderline ready for 3D games but ones where you only need one thumb stick, rather then having to use two. Ideally a game that isn't too fast paced.

An hour ago she played the Switch for the first time using the red joycon. I discovered a problem. The blue one is more comfortable to hold as the thumb stick is closer to the left. Furthermore her muscle memory for the Xbox control seems dominant.

However a few sessions using the blue joycon should set her straight :)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
An hour ago she played the Switch for the first time using the red joycon. I discovered a problem. The blue one is more comfortable to hold as the thumb stick is closer to the left. Furthermore her muscle memory for the Xbox control seems dominant.

However a few sessions using the blue joycon should set her straight :)
If she's used to an Xbox controller, you could get her a Switch Pro controller (or a PowerA one). The layout is pretty much identical to the standard xbox controller

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
If she's used to an Xbox controller, you could get her a Switch Pro controller (or a PowerA one). The layout is pretty much identical to the standard xbox controller
Which one is smaller? The Pro controller has excellent reviews but I don't mind 3rd party ones.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Which one is smaller? The Pro controller has excellent reviews but I don't mind 3rd party ones.
The Switch Pro controller is a little bit smaller than an Xbox 360 controller, but they feel about the same size in my hands. I think it's because the Xbox controller is more "trapezoidal" than the Switch one.

As for the Switch Pro vs. the Power A, I think they're the same shape and size. At least that's what it looks like to me. I've never used a Power A controller.

Personally, I think the Switch Pro controller is the most comfortable controller I've ever used. I go all the way back to the Atari 2600. Not sure I'd feel the same way if I was a little kid, however. But you did say she was fine with a regular Xbox controller.

EDIT - another alternative is to get one of those grip covers for the joycons. https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Swi...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Just curious, when you guys pair the Pro Controller to the Switch with the Joy Con in dual play mode, does the Pro Controller suffers from latency issue...?

I paired my Switch with 8bitdo's Pro 2 controller, it has latency when the Joy Con is active, but after I docked the Joy Con then the Pro 2 is dead accurate...

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just curious, when you guys pair the Pro Controller to the Switch with the Joy Con in dual play mode, does the Pro Controller suffers from latency issue...?

I paired my Switch with 8bitdo's Pro 2 controller, it has latency when the Joy Con is active, but after I docked the Joy Con then the Pro 2 is dead accurate...
We routinely play docked with a combination of pro controllers with joy cons on Mario kart with no noticeable issues. I’d love to blame lag for getting my ass kicked by my kids all the time, but that would be a lie.

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Just preordered the OLED switch. Idk if I should cancel or sell my old switch for $150 to pay towards the OLED.
Help me out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.