Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
What the hell could that mean? From the trailer, it almost looked open world. I never had a Wii U so I’ll definitely pick it up. I played 3D Land on the 3DS and liked it a lot.

I just think all the Wii U ports are funny, it’s like Nintendo’s way of saying “let’s pretend that console never happened” haha.
3D land on 3DS is the only Mario Game I have, only because it is playable to me as I can see and love the 3D...

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
still what's the deal with galaxy 2? a separate later release?
Perhaps it's because Galaxy 2 has quite a lot of Wii pointer stuff, for collecting stars and aiming Yoshi's tongue, so it would require more effort than simply slapping an old ROM into an emulator.

I wouldn't mind playing Mario 64 again but there's no way I'd pay full price for this collection. I quickly got bored of Galaxy first time around, and Mario Sunshine is arguably the weakest mainline Mario game since Super Mario Bros 2.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Been wondering about Sunshine. I have not played any Mario games between Super Mario World and Super Mario Odyssey. I know Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy get a lot of love from most people, but I hadn't really heard anything about Mario Sunshine. How does it compare to the other games?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Been wondering about Sunshine. I have not played any Mario games between Super Mario World and Super Mario Odyssey. I know Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy get a lot of love from most people, but I hadn't really heard anything about Mario Sunshine. How does it compare to the other games?
It has a wonderful theme. Overall I enjoyed it much more than Galaxy 1 and 2 personally. It has some really great classic 3D platforming sections. Story is so-so though, but I guess that isnt why we play Super Mario games I guess.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
How does it compare to the other games?
It's not a bad game but it doesn't really feel like a proper Mario game. Mario is (or used to be) about tightly designed levels and satisfyingly precise jumping. Sunshine is about flying around with a jetpack, which means the levels are sprawling and aimless and lazily designed.

The only really good parts are the bonus levels where you get stripped of the jetpack and have to play it like old school Mario, which says it all - the game's central gimmick was a huge mistake. The majority of it is floaty and forgettable, and it has one of the worst camera systems in any 3D game (Mario often gets hidden behind scenery, so you can only see his shadow).

There's definitely a clear lineage from Sunshine to Odyssey, though.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Perhaps it's because Galaxy 2 has quite a lot of Wii pointer stuff, for collecting stars and aiming Yoshi's tongue, so it would require more effort than simply slapping an old ROM into an emulator.

I wouldn't mind playing Mario 64 again but there's no way I'd pay full price for this collection. I quickly got bored of Galaxy first time around, and Mario Sunshine is arguably the weakest mainline Mario game since Super Mario Bros 2.

Yeah I’m with ya. I’m glad these games are getting more broad access for nostalgia players and a new era of gamers but im not particularly interested either. I have 64 GC and Wii and all three releases

I personally hate how much switch is getting milked. Creativity seems drying up

But of re releases this is a more crucial one

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I had it for 3DS a while ago and returned it (bought used), thought it was too repetitive...
Yea I thought the same about the HW:DE for Switch, but I got it after I just finished the Fire Emblem one. But I also thought the AI seemed worse in HW.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Didn't research yet. Is it just the same game type with different components?
Hyrule Warriors - Age of Calamity
It's still a Musou game but it's set in the 100 years before the BotW story. The brief trailer is up on youtube. We will get more info at the end of the month about it.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Hyrule Warriors - Age of Calamity
It's still a Musou game but it's set in the 100 years before the BotW story. The brief trailer is up on youtube. We will get more info at the end of the month about it.

Cool I might try it since I haven't played one in a while, and hopefully with it being a second one, the UI and such will be better this time.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
The 3D Mario collection begs the question... can we expect some sort of remastered Zelda collection on the switch for it’s 35th anniversary next year? Maybe Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess perhaps? I’d say Skyward Sword too, but it would be weird with the motion controls.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Nintendo will break it up into multiple bundles.

Link's awakening was like a 4 hour Gameboy game they redid and charged 60 for. Don't expect them to not do it again with the others. Tho I would love if they did a remake of Ocarina of Time + Majora's Mask but with Final Fantasy 7 Remake level of effort. If it's a launch title for the next Switch then I'm down. If it's just a high res filter on a Gamecube version then it's a hard pass. But are they just going to keep rereleasing these games every console generation? Like come out with Something new. Give me Metroid PRIME 4 !!!

Or an actual new game. This company seriously came out with a system that totally failed and no one bought because it had crap games and no games. The Switch people swear by and all they do is rerelease 10-20 year old games for $60 on the system. It was cute when the Gamecube was $100 so at that point it's like sure I'll buy one along with my real system. But now that the Switch cost what the New Xbox S will cost it doesn't make sense.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Finally finished Super Mario Odyssey, as in got all moons and all costumes. Took me little more than 70 hours.

It is without comparison the best platformer I have ever played. They throw everything and the kitchen sink at you, but everything oozes quality out of all orifices, so in the end the game comes off as something completely unique. If you like platformers, you really owe it to yourself to give it a try, no matter what!
[automerge]1599724202[/automerge]

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
No one does or really even tries to beat N at platformers. Galaxy, SMB3, Super Mario World, SM64,Odyssey and Super Mario Bros (1983 !) are essays in masterclass games. Plonk anyone of those games in front of me and i am a happy gamer.

Reactions: compwiz1202

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The 3D Mario collection begs the question... can we expect some sort of remastered Zelda collection on the switch for it’s 35th anniversary next year? Maybe Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess perhaps? I’d say Skyward Sword too, but it would be weird with the motion controls.
If they will be a bundle they will be lazy ports, just like the Mario 3D All Stars are lazy ports.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No one does or really even tries to beat N at platformers. Galaxy, SMB3, Super Mario World, SM64,Odyssey and Super Mario Bros (1983 !) are essays in masterclass games. Plonk anyone of those games in front of me and i am a happy gamer.
RARE back in the day (pre MS aquisition) did at times beat Nintendo. Not intentionally, just RARE's content was so good it rivalled what Nintendo themselves was putting out. A huge number of RARE games are masterpieces. I guess I'll list some.

RC-ProAm, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, Battletoads, Wizards and Warriors 2/3, the NES port of Sid Meier's Pirates, all 3 Donkey Kong Country games, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, DK64, Jet Force Gemeni, Perfect Dark

Today, though you are correct. A few try to put out more family friendly games, like the new Ratchet and Clank, as well as some of the other more cutsey games we've seen coming soon-ish.

The big difference is the studios that work with MS and Sony makes games for specific markets. A game for FPS fans or a game for casual fans or a game for RPG fans etc etc. Nintendo's focus os more making games of differentgenres that everyone will like, even people not fans of that genre. Example? I really don't like driving games, really do nothing for me. However Mario Kart 8's appeal is so broad that it appeals to even a non driving fan such as myself. You don't achieve 20m sales of a game without it appealing to people who raditionally don't like that specific genre.

Why yould you or I or anyone not a fan of a particular game's genre, want to play a particular game?
Nintendo answers that question quite well. Other studios need to find answers to that question for the games they release.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I’m glad the Mario games were unchanged
There are changes for all 3 games but they are all minor ones.
Also note well SM64 is based off the later Shindou port which has a few changes when compared to the original NTSC/PAL version. One of the biggest being BLJ being patched out.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
There are changes for all 3 games but they are all minor ones.
Also note well SM64 is based off the later Shindou port which has a few changes when compared to the original NTSC/PAL version. One of the biggest being BLJ being patched out.
I would be disappointed if BLJs are patched, but honestly you have to look at it from Nintendo’s point of view. It’s a glitch that they obviously didn’t intend to be there, and they were definitely embarrassed by it. No surprise if they patch the glitches, the original 2D Mario All Stars collection also patched glitches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.