Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I would be disappointed if BLJs are patched, but honestly you have to look at it from Nintendo’s point of view. It’s a glitch that they obviously didn’t intend to be there, and they were definitely embarrassed by it. No surprise if they patch the glitches, the original 2D Mario All Stars collection also patched glitches.
The Shindou port (released in 1997) patched out the BLJ. The All stars version is just being ported from this, not the original 1996 release.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What’s BLJ?
Backwards Long Jump.

In Mario 64, your forward momentum was capped. However your backwards momentum was not. Thus speedrunners worked out a way to abuse this by backwards long jumping in certain places to gain a crazy amount of negative speed (backwards movement). This was most famously used to bypass the endless stairway that you normally need 70 stars to walk up.

BLJ's literally is the thing that made the 16 star speedrun a thing.

Abuse of the uncapped negative speed is also used a few times in the 1 star and zero star runs.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Question
Want to hear a joke. A sad sad joke?

Answer
b95cd40acaa1410aabfc41a1852e55db_Large.jpg

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Target delayed my 3D All Stars order until October 2. Yeah, that’s not going to fly with me. Going in this morning to pick up a copy. And you get a free magnet set apparently with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macalicious2011

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Just want to vent here for a second how frustrated I am with the switch hardware. My son is probably on the 3rd set of joycons due to various button failures plus 1 set due to drop (not Nintendo’s fault per se, but our GameCube, Xbox and PlayStation dozens of times and continue to function). Now we have to get the charge port replaced on the switch. And it seems that I’m not the only one who’s had these problems.

My GameCube is nearly 20 years old, and it feels like the hardware could go for another 20. Even my NES still works.

Edit: and now I find out that I can’t backup save data to an SD card in case the console gets damaged during the repair. I ended up paying for the online backup for a few months.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Just want to vent here for a second how frustrated I am with the switch hardware. My son is probably on the 3rd set of joycons due to various button failures plus 1 set due to drop (not Nintendo’s fault per se, but our GameCube, Xbox and PlayStation dozens of times and continue to function). Now we have to get the charge port replaced on the switch. And it seems that I’m not the only one who’s had these problems.

My GameCube is nearly 20 years old, and it feels like the hardware could go for another 20. Even my NES still works.

Edit: and now I find out that I can’t backup save data to an SD card in case the console gets damaged during the repair. I ended up paying for the online backup for a few months.
I think that is why Nintendo released the light versions. Though I think losing the docked mode isn’t a fair trade for getting joycons that supposedly won’t break.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Yeah I have and it is but its a little bit of a faff with getting the star bits so happier to use the joy cons.

"
The second option to play Super Mario Galaxy is using a Pro Controller or the Joycon together in the grip. This control method uses the gyroscope of the controller.

The Star Cursor moves around the screen by tilting the controller in the direction you want it to move, making it easy to collect any Star Bits on the screen. Like the separated Joycon method, you can aim the cursor with the gyroscope and press ZR to shoot the Star Bits."

Reactions: Taustin Powers

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Zeldas 35th anniversary is Skyword sword for $60... "HD" looks exactly the same. Buy a Wii for $10-20 and then download the game for free offline. Or better yet just do that with all their "HD" rereleases

Reactions: BlankStar

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Zeldas 35th anniversary is Skyword sword for $60... "HD" looks exactly the same. Buy a Wii for $10-20 and then download the game for free offline. Or better yet just do that with all their "HD" rereleases

is Mario galaxy the only original game in the 4 year life cycle of the switch? Everything else is a wii or Wii U port for $60. I mean one thing is them porting it and it being cheaper and another is giving me a 10-20 year old game And making it $60

how hard would it be for them to just port

skyword sword, twilight princess and Ocarina of time to the breathe of the wild engine? Like put some effort.

Last edited:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
the reveal video didn't look that good.

It certainly looked better than Wii, but like an early Wii U game or even peak Wii graphics souped up just a bit.
I am not saying that this is a total graphical remaster, but this is not really a youtube video vs. youtube video thing, but a how does it look on your 50" TV thing. 480p upscaled will look significantly worse compared to native 720p, og perhaps 1080p if that is what they aim for.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I just feel like the sentiment that Nintendo hates their fans is kinda ... true

there are a for profit company, that’s perfectly fine and no reason they can’t continue milking their old IPs but

this would resonate for $20 not $60. Or for $60, a triple pack of WW and TP since those would be non touched up Wii U ports and we got 3D all stars a few months ago

there’s no reason fixing broken controls merits the price , even if it’s the only 3D Zelda that hasn’t gotten a re release

what an insult for the unspoken 35th anniversary of this franchise

also 500 some odd days since last direct and the biggest reveal is something for 2022??
Yikes

it’s a good thing switch isn’t my only
System and I have a backlog still, or id really be hurting

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Breathe of the wild is a Wii U game!!!!

not trying to be a jerk but Nintendo are evil!!!

also resident evil 1-3 remakes vs the NINTENDO HD editions !!! Or the tomb raider remake. Like the fans should demand more.

like breathe of the wild is a 3-4 year old game. No new “Zelda” should look worse than that game. The map of breathe of the wild is similar as well.

haha

imagine if Nintendo owned Sony. The recent free ps5 god of war 60 frames per second upgrade would have been $60. Nintendo fans would have celebrated it

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
An upscaled game should look like this:

But no, Nintendo is putting out half baked stuff and even wants big money for it.

Last edited:

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Mario 64 is full screen on my Oled tv... with the all stars. Like they didn’t even bother to do anything to these games.

I am all for a rerelease. I am dying for a Marvel vs Capcom collection. I mean just part 2 but if they give us part 4 with the X-men that would be great.

I really just want part 2 repainted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.