Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
The price will depend on how much each company is cool with to lose on each sale. The hardware in those consoles is way more expensive than the prices you suggest...

Yeah I was taking into account the loss per console. You also have to consider how much they can charge though. Consoles have a certain price range in people's minds. I think the next generation consoles will be more expensive, but not to the point where the consumer is paying standard prices per each piece of hardware in the system.

I also think Microsoft (and maybe Sony) will take a page from Apple's playbook and offer a monthly payment system. Something to offset the higher cost. If an Xbox Series X is $599 but you can order it today for $49.99 and then pay a set rate each month, then I think it's an easier pill to swallow for a lot of people.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I’m excited for the PS5 this fall, but at the same time, I’m so looking forward to The Last of Us 2 that I have to remind myself it’s probably the last PS4 game I’ll buy. I’ll probably wait to buy CyberPunk till PS5.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Would like to see the physical console and cooling system, what it will do for current PS4 and PSVR games, and of course pricing.
I don’t think we’ll see pricing until Microsoft reveals the price of their competitor. I have the impression that Microsoft has been leading this Next Gen race and people at Sony are waiting to see Microsoft moves to react. That’s just my opinion of course.

Reactions: Burningtime

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think the press unveil of the PS5 and PS5 games has been delayed due to the riots in USA.

Which is odd, because you’d think they would’ve pulled their marketing specifically indicting the ‘June 4’ reveal, which has been plastered on various TV channels.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Sony hasn't tweeted anything since the delay got announced... I just want them to give a new date, don't care when, but not knowing sucks...

Reactions: compwiz1202

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
PC+PS covers a lot more games, frankly. You've got everything Xbox and PS.

Plus, PS, covers an inexpensive, turn-key VR system... ;)
[automerge]1591714482[/automerge]
Gameplay demo confirmed for the 11th. Let's hope we don't get any earthquakes or **** that get it postponed again...

If they show a massively improved No Man's Sky VR that day, I'm gonna start crying... :eek:

;)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I am pretty amazed at the lack of leaks before this event. Either they have nothing big to show, or they‘ve done a good job keeping it secret. We‘ll find out soon!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
I am pretty amazed at the lack of leaks before this event. Either they have nothing big to show, or they‘ve done a good job keeping it secret. We‘ll find out soon!

Supposedly just games, most of which we know of.

Rumors is that Sony PS5 is having cooling and production problems and won't reveal the console or price until much later (not until October even).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Rumors is that Sony PS5 is having cooling and production problems...

I had not heard that rumor, but I am curious to see what Sony says about the cooling in the new system. My PS4 Pro sounds like a jet taking off half the time. And it is not dusty, because it was like this since it was new.

Reactions: Burningtime

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Today at 1:00 pm Pacific US

Not really floored by anything yet, I mean, there's some nice technical improvements, clearly there's some awesome hardware on tap, but none of the Sony Exclusives are very compelling so far ... GT is of course a solid technical improvement.

Update 1: Kena is neat, some nice art direction, BotW type game mechanics

Update 2: OK, this looks really interesting ... Ghostwire

Update 3: Solar Ash, looks indie, beautiful art design ... oh Hitman III, looks like interesting story development

Last edited:
Reactions: JayMysterio

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Definitely some games I'm excited for. Mostly the first 5 or so. They started off great with Spiderman, Gran Turismo, and Ratchet & Clank. Now we're in a bit of a lull. Waiting for that next big reveal. Horizon 2 or something please.

I'd also like to see the console and UI at the end, but I'm not optimistic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.