Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
PS5 controller!!

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

looks awesome - can't wait for the console unit now...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Loved that tech demo. I'm so hoping for a new Uncharted game with those graphics. Imagine Horizon Zero Dawn 2 like that? A new God of War? Final Fantasy 7 Remake Episode 2? Damn... Can hardly wait!

Reactions: Falhófnir

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If I had to bet, I'd say $499 for PS5 and probably for Xbox Series X. Maybe $359 for Xbox Series S.

If your Prices are accurate for the PS5 and Xbox Series X, I really don’t think that’s unreasonable given the redesign/tech changes offered from both consoles. I was actually thinking Microsoft Might be priced some around ~$699, but the reality is, they have to be comparable to each other in terms of where the pricing stands, being economy will probably play a role in terms of what someone will spend on a new GEN console.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I wish they had just concentrated on keeping the power of the PS5 as high as possible rather than pissing about with more gimickey crap on the game pad. Tilt sensor, touchpad, speaker piss. Next it’s sense of touch, oh please. All that stuff never gets used, waste of development time and money. I just want a powerful box to run Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I wish they had just concentrated on keeping the power of the PS5 as high as possible rather than pissing about with more gimickey crap on the game pad. Tilt sensor, touchpad, speaker piss. Next it’s sense of touch, oh please. All that stuff never gets used, waste of development time and money. I just want a powerful box to run Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

What do you mean? The PS5 will be faster than the vast majority of PCs available today in game performance. Any faster than that and you start getting very, very expensive. What has indicated to you that they haven't kept the power as high as possible? It uses PCI 4.0 SSDs that aren't even on the market yet for the highest end PCs (well unless you have a new Ryzen system). What else do you want?

For that matter, who says that hiring people to work on controller innovation has hurt the performance of the machine? You're conflating two separate issues because for whatever reason you don't like the controllers innovating at all.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
If I had to bet, I'd say $499 for PS5 and probably for Xbox Series X. Maybe $359 for Xbox Series S.
The price will depend on how much each company is cool with to lose on each sale. The hardware in those consoles is way more expensive than the prices you suggest...

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I enjoyed that, only wish xbox x series was seen to tun that demo, though word on the street is that it's capable.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X are very similar. There's no need for an endless discussion on the hardware, and all demo's that are on either system are on that system because of some commercial deal. In the end it's the catalog of games that will make or break a console. Sony has been doing well these last years with their exclusives so for me the PS5 is the console to buy.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
@BlankStar

Thanks, went with Xbox One and eventually Ps4 slim.
Avoided the temptation of 4K 'upgraded' consoles.
Time yet to follow X Series/Ps5 -though my decision could be determined with what is offered from Both X Boxes, though I suspect one of which will be expensive.
Not sure about ps 5, seriously enjoyed that Demo, didn't intend to start Console Wars.

Reactions: BlankStar

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Wasn't talking about you when I said "an endless discussion", was more looking at the whole internet where discussions on GPU cores and TFlops are running wild :)

Reactions: Donfor39

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The PS5 and Xbox Series X are very similar. There's no need for an endless discussion on the hardware, and all demo's that are on either system are on that system because of some commercial deal.

I'm starting to wonder. I've watched at a couple of reaction videos from developers who use UE and the one thing they brought up was that this demo required extremely large assets that were likely hundreds of gigs and required the disk to deliver them at insanely fast speeds. The Xbox uses plain PCI 3.0 drives like the ones in your PC that max out around 2500mbps read. The PS5 uses PCI 4.0 drives that are more than double that fast specifically for this reason. All things being equal the PS5 may end up looking noticeably better simply because it's drive technology is a generation ahead and enables streaming data to memory faster.

Reactions: compwiz1202

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'm starting to wonder. I've watched at a couple of reaction videos from developers who use UE and the one thing they brought up was that this demo required extremely large assets that were likely hundreds of gigs and required the disk to deliver them at insanely fast speeds. The Xbox uses plain PCI 3.0 drives like the ones in your PC that max out around 2500mbps read. The PS5 uses PCI 4.0 drives that are more than double that fast specifically for this reason. All things being equal the PS5 may end up looking noticeably better simply because it's drive technology is a generation ahead and enables streaming data to memory faster.

My 2 cents: only the PS5 exclusives in 2023 or something will start making real advantage of this. A game that has to run on the XSX and PS5 won't have two version a certain level/part of the world. It will have the version that will work on all consoles. And since current games are cross generation... It will be like PS4 vs PS4 Pro games. Higher framerate/resolution, but the game will likely be the same.

(am I making sense here, I'm lazy so want to say as much possible with as least sentences as possible :))

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
My 2 cents: only the PS5 exclusives in 2023 or something will start making real advantage of this. A game that has to run on the XSX and PS5 won't have two version a certain level/part of the world. It will have the version that will work on all consoles. And since current games are cross generation... It will be like PS4 vs PS4 Pro games. Higher framerate/resolution, but the game will likely be the same.

(am I making sense here, I'm lazy so want to say as much possible with as least sentences as possible :))

You make sense, and i'd have agreed in the past. Only now companies make four (or even five or six if you count the Switch and PC) different versions of the same game at different detail levels. In order of increasing detail Xbox One, PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X. Even prior to that the PS4 versions of cross platform games were markedly more visually impressive than their Xbox One counterparts (see Star Wars: Battlefront for example). I have both consoles and it quickly became clear that the PS4 versions would look better and load faster than the Xbox One versions.

Reactions: BlankStar

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Maybe not clear, but when I said "take advantage of this", I meant in terms of level design. So they can stop making us climb long ladders or crawl to small cracks because the console needs the time to load stuff.
They won't make two version of a level, an XSX-version with a ladder and a PS5-version without it and a huge open space. So even if the PS5 can loads loads of data, if the XSX can't do the same, we'll be limited by it, even on the PS5. Only the PS5-exclusives will be able to tap into the potential of those datastreams and give us the God of War, Uncharted, etc we always dreamed of. (Thinking how awesome these games are, I can only imagine what these devs will do with the PS5 hardware... good times are ahead for gamers :))

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Maybe not clear, but when I said "take advantage of this", I meant in terms of level design. So they can stop making us climb long ladders or crawl to small cracks because the console needs the time to load stuff.
They won't make two version of a level, an XSX-version with a ladder and a PS5-version without it and a huge open space. So even if the PS5 can loads loads of data, if the XSX can't do the same, we'll be limited by it, even on the PS5. Only the PS5-exclusives will be able to tap into the potential of those datastreams and give us the God of War, Uncharted, etc we always dreamed of. (Thinking how awesome these games are, I can only imagine what these devs will do with the PS5 hardware... good times are ahead for gamers :))

I don't think the load times and data load will be that much different. The XSX demo that showed how you can continue games directly where you left off from the middle of playing another game show exactly how much load can be stored. It was quite impressive. It's not always about raw power, but what things you do with the power.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.