Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burningtime

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
BOSTON, MA.
Could be a week from this Wednesday (Feb.5th) that we have the first look at PS5.

And how wrong I was.

Would be really nice to hear something, anything at all really, about this system soon. I hope we don't have to wait until e3. I know Sony isn't participating in e3 but they will probably have a showcase of their own around then to keep themselves in the news cycle at that time.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
It's way too quiet on the PS5 front :-(
Heard recently Ratchet and Clank might be a launch title which would be cool*, I loved that series growing up ?

*Would really appreciate something tonally closer to the PS3 trilogy or the original trilogy to the 2017 game though.

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
I'm trying to wait for Sony stock to dip as much as possible before the event (assuming that it goes well), but they sure are being weird about PS5 in general, so I'm not really sure when to pull the trigger. I feel like the event could be next week or in June.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Looks like in terms of raw specs, the Xbox is slightly more powerful, but the Playstation has a much faster SSD. Which would suggest slightly better graphical fidelity on the Xbox, but faster loading times on the Playstation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Impressive. You can say goodbye virtually to any load times whatsoever, significant impact in SSD Transitional speeds:

624F0091-3E21-4FCD-BF1F-9D2959E5BE84.jpeg

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Thank GOODNESS he mentioned improvements to the current system where a patch is downloaded and then takes a long time to be applied.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I actually like more what I've seen of the Xbox so far, and I'm a PlayStation guy.

Exclusives will probably make me go PS again, but I'm willing to give Xbox a chance this time. They've gone great things with GamePass and such.

Reactions: Populus

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I actually like more what I've seen of the Xbox so far, and I'm a PlayStation guy.

Exclusives will probably make me go PS again, but I'm willing to give Xbox a chance this time. They've gone great things with GamePass and such.

I'm a Playstation guy for sure but I really liked that Xbox feature they mentioned where you could suspend more than one game.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Both will be great systems, just like PS4 and XBONE are both great systems.

I have always liked Playstation's exclusives more, so I have a little doubt that I will buy a PS5.

That said, all those tech reveals aren't really that exciting to me. We already knew both systems would be way faster and more powerful than the previous gen. SHOW US SOME GAMES ALREADY!!

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, I've always preferred PlayStation over Xbox and will be picking up a PS5. However, if the PS5 is only backwards compatible with the PS4 and not earlier PlayStations, I'm very tempted in picking up an Xbox as well, since it's backwards compatibility goes all the way back to the original model.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
A lot of people are just looking at those Tflops, but the fact that the PS5's SSD is twice as fast and that the chipset can handle those speeds will make PS5 a fierce competitor to the XSX.

I hope we're getting a similar 'keynote' for the OS/Software in the near future. And then some game footage and the design of the console.

Something I really like is that the PS5 will have a slot to insert a second SSD of your choosing. This will keep the base price of the console lower and people with enough cash and the need for more storage, can easily make it happen, without having an external disk next to their PS5 (like I have now with my PS4 and don't like at all esthetically speaking)

Reactions: Falhófnir

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m not ‘brand agnostic’ to either one for Microsoft or Sony, I’ll pick up both consoles, strictly because we all know certain titles will be exclusive to Sony, yet Xbox will have their titles as well. As a veteran/devoted gamer, I want tohave the best of both specs’/performance. I suspect any hard-core gamer, will want on both of these consoles, as they both have their own special identities.

Reactions: moldy lunchbox

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
A lot of people are just looking at those Tflops, but the fact that the PS5's SSD is twice as fast and that the chipset can handle those speeds will make PS5 a fierce competitor to the XSX.

I hope we're getting a similar 'keynote' for the OS/Software in the near future. And then some game footage and the design of the console.

Something I really like is that the PS5 will have a slot to insert a second SSD of your choosing. This will keep the base price of the console lower and people with enough cash and the need for more storage, can easily make it happen, without having an external disk next to their PS5 (like I have now with my PS4 and don't like at all esthetically speaking)
For loading times, and loading in high-resolution textures, the high speed SSD should mean the PS5 will do a lot better. When gaming at high resolutions, the Xbox will probably be able to keep frame rates up better, but more people are likely to have this hooked up to a 30Hz TV that a 120Hz gaming display!

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018

With the PS4 I really appreciated how easy they made it to replace the existing drive with another third party drive. This is another great step.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
These next gen consoles, of course, show the different Console philosophies of the companies:

Sony: PS5 ($399?) is just the next evolution of the PS4 not as powerful as a PC gaming rig of course but a reasonable console price.
Microsoft: Xbox Series X ($499?) is really just the next generation of a "Console PC" (basic/budget PC gaming rig), and just as powerful as one

You can't go wrong with either - both will be great systems....

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015

Thing is a lot of games are developed as multi platform projects. This current generation was a clear win for the PS4 because while both consoles are reasonably close to a PC, PS4 is the faster 'gaming PC' out of the two (not counting mid gen refreshes) and had a better start, hence Xbox suffered.

If a console goes back to being a special setup with unique capabilities then multi platform titles are less likely to get tweaked for it. PS3 was difficult this way, PS2 and previous equally so. So you end up with titles targeted at the platform, making use of particular features in a way you couldn't elsewhere but your EA/Ubi/Actibliz/whathaveyou titles might just be targeted at PC/X and ported to the Playstation, potentially making that the worst performing ports of their titles.

I'm not playing those multi plats myself so I actually do care little about it but apparently Fifa, Modern Warfare, Rockstar titles and the like are the big sellers way beyond Sony's inhouse productions.

Of course if the fast SSD can make the difference in a way that is straight up advantageous not just in special circumstances and simply enhance things then it may all work out well for PS. But if the CPU and in particular the GPU is a good chunk weaker like what the numbers suggest then that's a worry considering all this stuff is being developed on PC and also with an Xbox version in mind.
A PS5 with a unique architecture would have to pull impressive numbers right from the start to make that the lead platform.

Reactions: BlankStar

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Thing is a lot of games are developed as multi platform projects. This current generation was a clear win for the PS4 because while both consoles are reasonably close to a PC, PS4 is the faster 'gaming PC' out of the two (not counting mid gen refreshes) and had a better start, hence Xbox suffered.

That is true but some of the PS4 exclusives were utterly fantastic. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Spider Man, etc.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm hoping the PS5 has a better (quieter) cooling system than the PS4 Pro I have. That thing sounds like a jet lifting off in some games. And it is not from dust inside, because it did this since it was new.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm hoping the PS5 has a better (quieter) cooling system than the PS4 Pro I have. That thing sounds like a jet lifting off in some games. And it is not from dust inside, because it did this since it was new.

MY PS4 was so incredibly noisy. The PS4 Pro I replaced it with is definitely better but it felt like nothing could have been worse.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
I bought the 'quiet' PS4 Pro (whatever model was newly released in early 2019) and am running it at 1080p to take off some stress. Seems to work alright in terms of noise - its only the disc drive that is really audible but in the games I have that spins up rarely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.