Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I'm hoping the PS5 has a better (quieter) cooling system than the PS4 Pro I have. That thing sounds like a jet lifting off in some games. And it is not from dust inside, because it did this since it was new.
Honestly, I think the Series X will be quieter than the PS5. The main reason is the overclocked speeds of the PS5 GPU. Unless Sony invests a lot in a remarkable cooling solution, I honestly doubt it will be a quieter system... And I say this as a noisy PS4 Pro user.

The PS5 most probably was aiming to those rumored 8 or 9 Teraflops, and after seeing the 12TF of Xbox Series X 52CU GPU, they decided to overclock their PS5 36CU GPU to 2.26GHz (which people say it is a lot for a GPU) in order to not stay that far behind. Those frequencies will make the console much hotter, although maybe the APU is smaller than that on the Series X and that helps in thermals.

Reactions: Weaselboy

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
Honestly, I think the Series X will be quieter than the PS5. The main reason is the overclocked speeds of the PS5 GPU. Unless Sony invests a lot in a remarkable cooling solution, I honestly doubt it will be a quieter system... And I say this as a noisy PS4 Pro user.

The PS5 most probably was aiming to those rumored 8 or 9 Teraflops, and after seeing the 12TF of Xbox Series X 52CU GPU, they decided to overclock their PS5 36CU GPU to 2.26GHz (which people say it is a lot for a GPU) in order to not stay that far behind. Those frequencies will make the console much hotter, although maybe the APU is smaller than that on the Series X and that helps in thermals.

Cerny said they have an excellent cooling solution that they are going to unveil when they do a teardown of the PS5. But just like everything regarding these consoles, we won't really know until third parties get their hands on them.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Fact that Cerny confirmed that the cooling of the PS4 suckt (he said it friendlier), eases my mind for the PS5.

And @Populus , what's your source for the overclocking? I smell a lot of assumption here.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Fact that Cerny confirmed that the cooling of the PS4 suckt (he said it friendlier), eases my mind for the PS5.

And @Populus , what's your source for the overclocking? I smell a lot of assumption here.
And we cannot assume or have early thoughts on a PlayStation 5 speculation thread. Ok, I didn’t know that. According to others (not me), 2.26GHz is a LOT for a GPU, and we have to just take a look at Series X clock speed (1.8GHz), and many experts say that those 2.26GHz will be achievable only in short bursts, not sustained. That’s my assumption, yes. I will come with the facts when PS5 releases, in 9 months.

Believe me, I don’t want to make up negative things of PS5 because it happens to be the one I will end up buying, but I think it is better for everyone to start assuming it will be less powerful than Series X, and hopefully, cheaper.

Remember the PS2 days, If you’re old enough. PS2 was, from a technical point of view, the worse console. Game Cube was a fantastic console and the first XBox was noticeably more powerful. But we all know which console sold more than 150 million units. It’s not only about specs, games are very important, and that’s why I will purchase the PS5.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Seemed more like a reasonable assumption to me on that members post, also, they gave you a pretty solid reply in return, not sure why someone would need a source for info based off what we already know given the spec’s released.Also, regarding your ’cooling’ comment, that was primarily rectified with the PS4 Pro, but the PS4 cooling was subpar, but that was kinda common knowledge for anyone that owned that console, especially for games that were ‘heavier load- tasking’.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
And we cannot assume or have early thoughts on a PlayStation 5 speculation thread. Ok, I didn’t know that. According to others (not me), 2.26GHz is a LOT for a GPU, and we have to just take a look at Series X clock speed (1.8GHz), and many experts say that those 2.26GHz will be achievable only in short bursts, not sustained. That’s my assumption, yes. I will come with the facts when PS5 releases, in 9 months.

Believe me, I don’t want to make up negative things of PS5 because it happens to be the one I will end up buying, but I think it is better for everyone to start assuming it will be less powerful than Series X, and hopefully, cheaper.

Remember the PS2 days, If you’re old enough. PS2 was, from a technical point of view, the worse console. Game Cube was a fantastic console and the first XBox was noticeably more powerful. But we all know which console sold more than 150 million units. It’s not only about specs, games are very important, and that’s why I will purchase the PS5.
Yeah I think this is similar to the Mac vs PC arguments, there's a lot more to it than just the numbers. The Xbox looks like it will have more raw graphics power, but that won't necessarily translate into the better gaming experience. Most of these consoles won't be hooked up to 144Hz gaming monitors, but 30-60Hz TVs. If you have the two hooked up to identical TVs next to each other, you might notice slightly more graphical fidelity from the Xbox, in slow moving or static scenes, but for fast action it will likely be about the same. If you're looking to max out settings and framerates, you're probably going to build a gaming PC to do it on etc.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It's ok the assume and speculate, but it's ok for me to ask a source for stuff that is stated more as a fact than an assumption, no? No need to get al sarcastic ;-)

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA

Cerny stated during his presentation that the GPU would stay at or "close to" 2.23 GHz. The GPU has a set power budget so only at the point where that budget is being exceeded will the GPU downclock. He said a 2% reduction in clock speed will result in 10% reduction against the power budget.

Most GPUs on the market are not fixed frequency.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
@TopherMan12 Thanks for the explanation. According to Cernuda, then, the GPU will stay at, or close to those 2.23GHz. In other media experts talk about *boost frequencies* but I guess that if Mark Cerny says that, we should believe him, and the performance of PS5 will be most of the time on the 10TF mark or above.

We’ll see, hopefully the power differences won’t be huge. I will buy PS5 for the games, but I don’t want to suffer again ports like the PS3 Bayonetta.

Reactions: TopherMan12

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
@TopherMan12 Thanks for the explanation. According to Cernuda, then, the GPU will stay at, or close to those 2.23GHz. In other media experts talk about *boost frequencies* but I guess that if Mark Cerny says that, we should believe him, and the performance of PS5 will be most of the time on the 10TF mark or above.

He is on record so I'll believe him until real world performance measurements say otherwise. If his assertion doesn't hold up then he will have a lot of explaining to do.

We’ll see, hopefully the power differences won’t be huge. I will buy PS5 for the games, but I don’t want to suffer again ports like the PS3 Bayonetta.

This isn't going to be a repeat of PS3. The Cell processor was an enigma for most devs. PS5 is still using the same core technology as the Xbox Series X in AMD's RDNA 2 architecture. PS5 is just aligned differently with fewer compute units and a higher frequency compared to XSX.

Jason Shrierer, the well connected Kotaku journalist, has said that he has talked to devs who say the PS5 is actually more powerful than XSX. I'm not buying that though. If I were building a PC and was given the choice between the XSX GPU and PS5, I'll take the XSX GPU.

Having said that, the crucial part of evaluating this tech is real world gaming benchmarks and we are not there yet. I suspect XSX will have the edge, but it is going to be a while before we find out. But I'm going to buy PS5 for the games and play everything else on my PC either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
Unless an actual engine- or game(play) programmer who's working on these systems comes forward, all this stuff circulated on twitter is barely worth the consideration.

These journos typically talk to PR or producers at the developers, or perhaps designers - unlikely to be anybody more technical than that.

Besides, developers are often bound by NDA (and kinda proud to be in on the secret sauce anyway) - they don't necessarily share what they learn from the console manufacturer with the non-technical people on the team.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Read an article about some Dev stating that the PS5 will have more TFlops for actual graphics because of the tempest audio chip and that we need to take of 20% of the TFlops of the XSX because audio takes a lot of power.

Then I saw a reaction from someone that Microsoft also said the XSX will have a special 3D audio chip, but they just didn't pay as much attention to it as Sony.

It's hard to know what information is correct or not, at least when comparing the consoles. As stated above, we can be sure that what Cerny said will be true or he'll have a sh!tstorm coming at him. All the rest: we'll have to wait and see real world performance...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well they do have some big inhouse PS4 titles still coming. :)

Yeah, as long as TLOU2 [The Last of Us 2] actually makes it by May without being delayed again (Which in all likeliness, could happen given the global concern), then that will be the ‘big’ one, and contender for the G.O.Y. easily.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah, the line-up is still strong for the PS4. I think they don't want to steal the limelight just yet.
If the rumours of backwards compatibility are true all upcoming PS4 titles should be fully compatible with PS5, maybe even run better with the extra power and shorter load times!

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
If the rumours of backwards compatibility are true all upcoming PS4 titles should be fully compatible with PS5, maybe even run better with the extra power and shorter load times!

Sony had to clarify what is what about BC, but essentially they have to test every single PS4 game on PS5 to make sure every one works correctly. They have tested several hundred of the 4,000+ titles and they said the "vast majority" will work fine.

Some of the games are going to receive enhancements. Think Cerny said they are looking at the top 100 PS4 games right now and are trying to get those games optmized for PS5.

TLOU2 und Ghost of Tsushima are the big ones for me. What a way to end this gen!

Seriously. Those are two huge games to be released at the end of the generation. My sons and I are going to fight over the PS4 the summer. lol

Reactions: Falhófnir

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
It's not a rumor ;-) As @TopherMan12 stated. They're testing with the 100 most popular games now and their goal is to make sure every single PS4 game works on the PS5. They stated that the majority of the top 100 is already up and running and they're going to help devs with updating the games for the PS5.
That's all confirmed info, no rumors :)

But too much PS5 game footage would still steal the thunder of these games, because loads of people will wait to buy them at discounted prices next year and play them on the PS5. When Cyberpunk 2077 got delayed to september, the internet was full of people asking if they should just wait for the PS5 version. But that's all speculation. I do hope we get more PS5 info soon, would love to see the OS and some game footage, and the design ofc!

Reactions: TopherMan12

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I've still got my fingers crossed that PS4 owners who buy Cyberpunk get a free version for PS5 like what Xbox owners are getting.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
PS5 controller!!

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Hmm, don't immediately love it, looks quite X-boxy! Interested to hear more about (and experience ofc!) the haptics though...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

It’s actually wider at the base of the controller, which extends the two grip points out. Ergonomically, it’s hard to say if it will be any less comfortable than the current model. However, the dual shock has been notorious for providing the best comfort for long-term usage in gaming. There’s no doubt, Sony’s engineers probably put in 500+ hours on this controller with R&D, it looks awesome and I can’t wait to test drive it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.