Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Folks don’t even bother with the speck single layer to the point there aren’t even 5 reviews for it on amazon and each of those are horrible. Buyer beware.

I got the ringke fusion, not bulky but a little too thick. Transparency for the green iPhone was pretty good but I want a thinner lighter case too. Search continues.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Can’t even figure out how to order from power support. Also had a power support way back on the 5s and it was perfect.

Reactions: blaine07

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Here’s the Totallee case, then pics of the 3 cases, from left to right: Peel, Speck, Totallee. I really don’t like Totallee, it’s not worth $30 bucks. I want to love the Speck more than the Peel bc it is completely clear, but Peel feels so good to hold!

BTW, the screen protector I have on my phone is the Maxboost Edge-to-Edge. It was so easy to install, and it literally looks like there’s nothing on my phone. Full screen doesn’t interfere with Face ID or touch, cutout for the earpiece so it doesn’t block call volume. I love it so much, I hope it will be as strong as Zagg was for me on the gazillion times I dropped my phone!!
View attachment 864014 View attachment 864015 View attachment 864016 View attachment 864017 View attachment 864018 View attachment 864019 View attachment 864020 View attachment 864021
I’m going to look at the spec as I’ve just bought an 11 in red and would like to show off the colour with a totally clear and thin as possible case.

the problem with clear cases is the yellowing as we’ve mentioned on here. But also the dirt and grit that somehow gets under the case. Have you found this with any of your cases?

Reactions: JAZJB

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I’m going to look at the spec as I’ve just bought an 11 in red and would like to show off the colour with a totally clear and thin as possible case.

the problem with clear cases is the yellowing as we’ve mentioned on here. But also the dirt and grit that somehow gets under the case. Have you found this with any of your cases?
The Speck case is probably your best bet, just be sure to get the Single-layer slim case, not their regular clear case, as that one is much thicker. Clear cases made with TPU will generally yellow after 6 months, but some yellow more quickly like the ESR case. After 2 months, it was ready for the garbage! I hate covering my iPhone with colored cases, tho, so I don’t mind replacing the clear cases. I think the Speck will last for a while, but no soft TPU case will last as long as leather ones do, they don’t get better with time!

I don’t ever get dirt under my cases, but you’ll want to clean around the lip like with any other case. More importantly, I remove my case 1x a week to wipe it down with mild soap (just the outside and around the lip) to get rid of bacteria n germs, and I also wipe the edges of my phone. I consider this basic maintenance to keep the thing I use the most clean! Hope this helps, pls post back if you get the Speck!

Reactions: scouser75

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I’ve wanted to make a post about this, but I haven’t had time to post pics of each case on my phone, so I’ll just write my list here. I’m always looking for thin, clear cases, and I think I finally found THE one! I hate when cases make my Max iPhones feel wide, and I don’t like when I can see the plastic around the phone (cheap and ugly looking!). Here are the ones I’ve tried in the past year, pls google the names I can’t post the links right now. I also use a screen protector, so this adds to the drop protection. All the cases below have great grip/no-slip because of the TPU material:

1) Totallee: Not as thin as I expected. The sides are loose, which makes holding/using the phone uncomfortable. Doesn’t feel “premium” for the price, the hype is not real, so I’m returning it.

2) Speck Single-layer clear case (not to be confused with the dual-layer clear which is much thicker). It’s thinner than Totallee clear, feels great to hold, and has a snug fit. Who knew Speck could make such a thin case! I def’n recommend it.

3) Ranvoo: Similar to the Speck but the TPU is thicker. Still looks and feels slim on my phone, but I prefer the Speck.

4) Bare: Absolutely HORRIBLE case! It’s as thin as they come, but I went though 3 of them on my XS Max because they ALL cracked on the bottom corners within 2 months. The plastic is cheap and flimsy, all 3 cases WARPED and had the rainbow effect, so a total ripoff for the high price.

5) DTTO on Amazon: This has been my favorite case! Used it on my XS Max for 6 months, hasn’t yellowed at all, I’ve dropped my phone more times than I can count and the case is still going strong. Only prob is it only comes in clear with gold or blue around the bumper, and my Pro Max is Silver. Had the Gold XS Max and DTTO matches that gold to perfection. Hoping they make a Silver or all-clear version.

6) Torras: waaaay too thick, total pass.

7) Tozo: Almost identical to DTTO, but the sides are really loose so I don’t recommend.

8) ESR: Also almost identical to DTTO, but it yellowed in just a couple months and was full of scratches. They’re cheap enough to replace, but the DTTO is better overall.

9) Ainope: Very very thick, I don’t consider this an ultra thin case.

10) THE WINNER: Peel Super-Thin Clear and Peel Super-Thin Color case. Next to the DTTO case, this is the BEST one I’ve tried! I even like their colored cases because they’re made from the same grippy material as the clear. So snug around the phone, it’s even a little hard to remove it! None of my slim cases fit this well, and it has the most natural, comfortable feel on my phone. Not sure about the longevity yet, but it def’n feels premium. Hope my 2 cents helps!
Thank you for writing this!

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
Here’s the Totallee case, then pics of the 3 cases, from left to right: Peel, Speck, Totallee. I really don’t like Totallee, it’s not worth $30 bucks. I want to love the Speck more than the Peel bc it is completely clear, but Peel feels so good to hold!

BTW, the screen protector I have on my phone is the Maxboost Edge-to-Edge. It was so easy to install, and it literally looks like there’s nothing on my phone. Full screen doesn’t interfere with Face ID or touch, cutout for the earpiece so it doesn’t block call volume. I love it so much, I hope it will be as strong as Zagg was for me on the gazillion times I dropped my phone!!
View attachment 864014 View attachment 864015 View attachment 864016 View attachment 864017 View attachment 864018 View attachment 864019 View attachment 864020 View attachment 864021
Out of the 3, which one do you prefer? Love the Apple clear case and how it was so thin, however, I couldn’t get past how slippery it was and how the buttons were so hard to push.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
The Speck case is probably your best bet, just be sure to get the Single-layer slim case, not their regular clear case, as that one is much thicker. Clear cases made with TPU will generally yellow after 6 months, but some yellow more quickly like the ESR case. After 2 months, it was ready for the garbage! I hate covering my iPhone with colored cases, tho, so I don’t mind replacing the clear cases. I think the Speck will last for a while, but no soft TPU case will last as long as leather ones do, they don’t get better with time!

I don’t ever get dirt under my cases, but you’ll want to clean around the lip like with any other case. More importantly, I remove my case 1x a week to wipe it down with mild soap (just the outside and around the lip) to get rid of bacteria n germs, and I also wipe the edges of my phone. I consider this basic maintenance to keep the thing I use the most clean! Hope this helps, pls post back if you get the Speck!
Thanks for yet another top reply. If the spec is a soft case I’m definitely leaning towards it.

the peel you say is brilliant but not totally clear, correct?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008

I’m struggling to find the Speck you mentioned here in the uk. Is this it?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I've been looking for the same but have not found anything. I've been using my iphone X caseless for the past few months and I'm afraid going up to the Max and adding a case will make it feel massive.

My current plan is to use an edge to edge screen protector paired with a clear skin for scratch protection and minimal bulk.

https://www.slickwraps.com/naked-series-wraps-skins-for-iphone-11-pro-max.html

They have a matte and a gloss version. Might order both and see which I like better.

EDIT: FWIW, I also have the spigen ultra hybrid case on order. Should deliver today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZJ2BMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I like the look of the wraps, but are they only available in black?

Last edited:

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015

If you look directly at Speck’s product page they don’t show that they make a single layer clear case. It seems like someone is just using their name on amazon to push their product.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Thank you for writing this!
You’re so welcome! I had wanted to make a thread bc I have so many thin, clear cases I can compare for other people, but managing a thread wasn’t possible for me this week. I’m glad it was helpful, thx for the positive feedback!! ???

Reactions: AppleDior31

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I’m struggling to find the Speck you mentioned here in the uk. Is this it?

So I just went to Amazon to find the link for you, and now there are a bunch of reviews saying it isn’t a real Speck case! I shop a lot on Amazon and never had an issue with buying something that was fake! At the time when I found the case, it was originally on the Speck website, but it said it wouldn’t be available until late October. Then I went to Amazon to see if they might have it there, and they did! However, it said the same thing as the Speck website, that there was the same delayed release. In the description, they had the Speck comparison chart to show the single layer as being one of their cases, plus it has the “Microban” treatment, an antibacterial formula that Speck has started using in their newer cases. The comparison chart is where I learned that the thicker clear case has the dual-layer protection, but the slim clear has only the single layer. That made sense to me, since the drop test for the thicker clear is 13ft; and the single layer is only 8 ft. I expect lesser drop protection from ultra slim cases. So based on everything looking legit, I put it on my list to be notified when available. Then right after launch day, I got the notification the case was in! I bought it with no hesitation and didn’t go back to the listing until now to get you the link. I was def’n surprised to see all these “FAKE CASE DO NOT BUY!” because there were zero reviews when I bought it. Apparently, people are basing this claim on the lack of the Speck logo on the case, but this is the thing people who like thin cases DON’T want - no branding anywhere - so since this is the reason ppl think the case is fake, I’m not convinced that it is. It ships from Amazon directly, so they will be responsible for falsely listing the case made by Speck. I take reviews with a grain of salt, especially when ppl are unfamiliar with thin cases and then are all surprised and mad when they receive a thin, flexible piece of TPU! So that’s my HO, it is still my 2nd choice after the Peel case, but I can recommend others if you are unsure. Here’s the link to the Speck: scroll down to see the Speck comparison chart. Hope this helps!

AppleDior31

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
So I just went to Amazon to find the link for you, and now there are a bunch of reviews saying it isn’t a real Speck case! I shop a lot on Amazon and never had an issue with buying something that was fake! At the time when I found the case, it was originally on the Speck website, but it said it wouldn’t be available until late October. Then I went to Amazon to see if they might have it there, and they did! However, it said the same thing as the Speck website, that there was the same delayed release. In the description, they had the Speck comparison chart to show the single layer as being one of their cases, plus it has the “Microban” treatment, an antibacterial formula that Speck has started using in their newer cases. The comparison chart is where I learned that the thicker clear case has the dual-layer protection, but the slim clear has only the single layer. That made sense to me, since the drop test for the thicker clear is 13ft; and the single layer is only 8 ft. I expect lesser drop protection from ultra slim cases. So based on everything looking legit, I put it on my list to be notified when available. Then right after launch day, I got the notification the case was in! I bought it with no hesitation and didn’t go back to the listing until now to get you the link. I was def’n surprised to see all these “FAKE CASE DO NOT BUY!” because there were zero reviews when I bought it. Apparently, people are basing this claim on the lack of the Speck logo on the case, but this is the thing people who like thin cases DON’T want - no branding anywhere - so since this is the reason ppl think the case is fake, I’m not convinced that it is. It ships from Amazon directly, so they will be responsible for falsely listing the case made by Speck. I take reviews with a grain of salt, especially when ppl are unfamiliar with thin cases and then are all surprised and mad when they receive a thin, flexible piece of TPU! So that’s my HO, it is still my 2nd choice after the Peel case, but I can recommend others if you are unsure. Here’s the link to the Speck: scroll down to see the Speck comparison chart. Hope this helps!
I was hesitant to purchase the speck case based on the reviews, but what you said makes sense. I just ordered. I considered the Peel case, but I like the buttons covered. I used Caudabe in the past, and it was a beautiful case and thin enough for me, but prefer the covered buttons.

I also ordered the Dtto case based on your post.

Have you tried the Apple clear case???? I love that it’s a hard, somewhat flexible case, I just can’t deal with the buttons being so hard to press. Any of those cases you recommend similar to the Apple clear case???

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Out of the 3, which one do you prefer? Love the Apple clear case and how it was so thin, however, I couldn’t get past how slippery it was and how the buttons were so hard to push.

I knew I wouldn’t want the Apple case, because it’s thicker than what I like, and you can see the plastic all around the phone (I hate that!!). Hard plastic backs are usually slippery, too, so I stick to soft clear cases now. My top choice is the Peel ultra thin, I am in LOVE with how it makes my phone feel!! It’s the most snug fit out of all the cases I tried, and it doesn’t make my Pro Max feel wider. I don’t like Totallee because the sides are loose, you can push the lip around the screen and it literally moves, so that’s not good for drop protection. It also makes the phone feel wider bc the sides aren’t hugging the phone. If you want pics, let me know. I also use a killer screen protector that is completely invisible and is rounded edge to edge!

Thanks for yet another top reply. If the spec is a soft case I’m definitely leaning towards it.

the peel you say is brilliant but not totally clear, correct?

You’re welcome!! ??? The Peel is the best, but it’s not crystal clear like the other cases. I didn’t think this would be a prob for ppl who have gold or green/black phones; I have the silver so I don’t notice any interference with the white back color, and the sides are clearly silver. I literally don’t see it on my phone, I forget it’s there when I’m using my phone, and dang, it just feels so amazing to hold! Next to my old DTTO case for my Gold Xs Max, Peel gives me the most natural grip and I never feel like I’m going to drop my phone or that it’ll slip through my hands!
3CF1693F-E55A-40CA-B857-4AC52A45E526.jpeg
EFB6A5D2-B400-4EB0-9F40-38EBF64E963E.jpeg
00B8491C-6FF2-4B6F-92E9-5B32767AD5E3.jpeg
E4331D45-B45C-4FD8-9A4E-1E0E9F79E994.jpeg
A39DCEA5-87E4-4F2B-A204-AF0753A026AE.jpeg
42C3C3DD-C51D-4108-8E34-28739EC902CB.jpeg
794A4FC5-BCEB-47F0-AE54-0CDED5E36D03.jpeg
049DFCFC-456E-457F-99F8-418CB3E9BAFD.jpeg

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
I was hesitant to purchase the speck case based on the reviews, but what you said makes sense. I just ordered. I considered the Peel case, but I like the buttons covered. I used Caudabe in the past, and it was a beautiful case and thin enough for me, but prefer the covered buttons.

I also ordered the Dtto case based on your post.

Have you tried the Apple clear case???? I love that it’s a hard, somewhat flexible case, I just can’t deal with the buttons being so hard to press. Any of those cases you recommend similar to the Apple clear case???

Thanks again for taking the time to post.
Ohhh, awesome!!! Do you have the Gold iPhone? The DTTO matched the color perfectly to the xs max gold! I hope you like it and also the Speck! I get the issue with the buttons, my cases usually cover the buttons but I just love the Peel too much to make it an issue. Plus the cutouts are so flush to the buttons, I can’t even tell if the buttons are covered or not. Pls post pics when you get your cases!! I hope they work for you, otherwise returns to Amazon are easy! Thank god for that cuz I have like, 6 cases to return!! ??

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks for looking into this for me. Unfortunately, after all your hard work and kind advice, it seems the Speck single layer is unavailable here in the uk.

my next best option now is the ESR case as that seems like a totally clear case and it’s cheap at £9 I can use this till it yellows and hopefully by then the speck will be available here.

I’ll also buy a Spigen screen protector.

case wise, you guys know your stuff so, I have a product red coming my way. Other than a clear, what case would you put on it if you wanted a brief change from the red???

just1

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2011
France

Thanks JAZJB for all the pictures and for your feedback.
Are the Speck and Peel cases rigid or flexible ?
are they made of hard plastic or silicone ?

Thanks

kunaguero

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
Ohhh, awesome!!! Do you have the Gold iPhone? The DTTO matched the color perfectly to the xs max gold! I hope you like it and also the Speck! I get the issue with the buttons, my cases usually cover the buttons but I just love the Peel too much to make it an issue. Plus the cutouts are so flush to the buttons, I can’t even tell if the buttons are covered or not. Pls post pics when you get your cases!! I hope they work for you, otherwise returns to Amazon are easy! Thank god for that cuz I have like, 6 cases to return!! ??

Regarding Totallee vs Speck, as Speck is 1.5mm and Totallee is only 0.5 mm, it means the Speck is 3 times thicker than Totallee?

Reactions: JAZJB and scouser75

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Torras brand .. I've used them on a few phones from the iPhone x to Samsung Note 10+ ..

If I don't use my leather case and I want to show that green

First three pics are the clear soft .. clear plastic last pics ..

Amazon

50c75fa49967d756b726dfb3054d31fa.jpg
b7ebc646623ebc58744c6069ec2e1cf8.jpg
ef48362b8792f3a650c9122225b616c7.jpg
4dd8c0e7cfa48b30908909c483c63e8c.jpg
b39af335e9b95477a92cd0eced9f8b70.jpg
216eaab073717a9362c54c917b4f098f.jpg

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
Torras brand .. I've used them on a few phones from the iPhone x to Samsung Note 10+ ..

If I don't use my leather case and I want to show that green

First three pics are the clear soft .. clear plastic last pics ..

Amazon

50c75fa49967d756b726dfb3054d31fa.jpg
b7ebc646623ebc58744c6069ec2e1cf8.jpg
ef48362b8792f3a650c9122225b616c7.jpg
4dd8c0e7cfa48b30908909c483c63e8c.jpg
b39af335e9b95477a92cd0eced9f8b70.jpg
216eaab073717a9362c54c917b4f098f.jpg
Is it a hard shell or tpu? And totally clear or slightly smoked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.