Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Wow. I can't imagine picking up my iPad on iOS 9 and not having it instantly start to get warm. Within 5 minutes it's noticeably warmer then it should be.

Did you try a DFU mode restore on it? That has help rid the bugs for me on my iPhone for the most part (minus the battery).

Meanwhile, watchOS 2 beta 1 is horrible. I wish I could revert back. Oh well. Its what I get for being a beta user. :rolleyes:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Did you try a DFU mode restore on it? That has help rid the bugs for me on my iPhone for the most part (minus the battery).

Meanwhile, watchOS 2 beta 1 is horrible. I wish I could revert back. Oh well. Its what I get for being a beta user. :rolleyes:
I just did an upgrade. Maybe next time I'll do a DFU restore.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I concur. The 6 Pluses battery on iOS 9 is complete dog ****. Meanwhile, I didn't even do a restore on my iPad to 9 (I just updated it) and the battery life is still really good! Since I took it off the charger, its been in standby for 2 and a half hours, with an hour of usage and its only lost 1%. My 6 Plus sitting pretty much idle dropped 20% over a 2 hour period. So, 10% an hour seems about right

Remember the iPad has a giant battery in comparison and it's the screen being on that mostly sucks it, so the battery draw might infact be equivalent, but just much less easily noticeable due to having a bigger power store and equivalent power demand when screen off.

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
I finally got a hold of iOS 9 beta. For day one, I spent my time impressed with the new features that came out. (I am coming from iOS 7.1.2.)
451251d5e41153346da468716c16d5be.jpg

So far my only gripes are that the Radio app gives a error when I try to play some radio search results.
Now Outlook and SNES Music show a waiting on the icons and are not launch able.
03843991ba466447c3daab388992c5cd.jpg

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I finally got a hold of iOS 9 beta. For day one, I spent my time impressed with the new features that came out. (I am coming from iOS 7.1.2.)
451251d5e41153346da468716c16d5be.jpg

So far my only gripes are that the Radio app gives a error when I try to play some radio search results.
Now Outlook and SNES Music show a waiting on the icons and are not launch able.
03843991ba466447c3daab388992c5cd.jpg

I don't even remember the difference between iOS 7 and 8 but funny that you went straight to iOS 9 :p

Well I can tell you that when I updated some apps on the beta the icons changed like that and I thought they were stuck/frozen but went I checked on the app store I could see the little circle filling up so at least for me the animation that shows 'progress' just wasn't working on home screen.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Tbh, I've been having the same battery issues since iOS8.3 beta. iOS8.2 was great for me. iOS8.3GM and all betas since have killed it. I can't pinpoint the issue, even with self built diagnostic tools. Even Airplane mode drains almost as bad over night. And I'm turned everything off on search and have iPhone optimised Photos on iCloud. I'm at a complete loss. On standby overnight (facedown) it's draining from 100->30% overnight. No Apps have significant drain.

Looking forward to the 2nd beta, but I don't have my hopes up. I did a clean restore, but did refresh from an iCloud backup. I fear I'll need to setup the phone from new, but I'm going to loose a lot of game saves etc from non-iCloud Apps.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Tbh, I've been having the same battery issues since iOS8.3 beta. iOS8.2 was great for me. iOS8.3GM and all betas since have killed it. I can't pinpoint the issue, even with self built diagnostic tools. Even Airplane mode drains almost as bad over night. And I'm turned everything off on search and have iPhone optimised Photos on iCloud. I'm at a complete loss. On standby overnight (facedown) it's draining from 100->30% overnight. No Apps have significant drain.

Looking forward to the 2nd beta, but I don't have my hopes up. I did a clean restore, but did refresh from an iCloud backup. I fear I'll need to setup the phone from new, but I'm going to loose a lot of game saves etc from non-iCloud Apps.

I'm on iOS 8.4 beta 4 and the battery is the best it has ever been.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm on iOS 8.4 beta 4 and the battery is the best it has ever been.
Same here. 8.4 was amazing on my 6Plus. I hope they deliver on the promise of 9 having an extra hour of battery life. We shall see...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Since this is a battery related thread, just wanted to show my latest stats. It seems like the battery life has stabilized somewhat. What can't be seen on the screen are my most used apps Tweetbot, Facebook, Messages, Safari and Podcasts. Screen brightness was between 30-50% at various times.

.jpg

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Since this is a battery related thread, just wanted to show my latest stats. It seems like the battery life has stabilized somewhat. What can't be seen on the screen are my most used apps Tweetbot, Facebook, Messages, Safari and Podcasts. Screen brightness was between 30-50% at various times.

View attachment 562017
Which phone? Never mind, scrolled up and seen you have a plus.

haztastic2

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
Kent, UK
I've got a 6+ - Battery was awesome with the latest ios8 - now it barely lasts half a day - its also extremely buggy but most Apps work fine.

Also regret updating to the new iOS watch 2.0...battery life also halved and buggy.

When do you think beta 2 will come out for both of them? Hopefully its very soon!

Darth Jeevster

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2015
Why would you do that? The battery drains initially because everything has to be reindexed. Just give it a day or or so and everything will be back to normal. Same thing happens on the Mac. Spotlight has to reindex and that makes the OS run slow after the update is installed initially until the indexing is finished. But then people freak out for no reason and claim the newest update is slow or start changing settings for no reason.

Just give it a few hours at least, sheesh.

Err its been a week and its still laggy and draining the battery... thats why people are doing it

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
Yesterday I wanted to give this new fix a try, so I did a clean install of ios9 b1, disabled icloud backup and all that, and... I had to charge the iPhone 6 twice. I'm again on ios 8 with a useless Apple Watch.

infernoguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Did an update to 9.0b1 and experienced the same issues everyone else has. I decided to try again after reading through posts here and made a slight change in my methodology:

1. Turned off iCloud backup before the update. I backed up via iTunes.
2. Did the update and then restored via iTunes.

I have had better battery life since. Also, my phone is not constantly warm any more. My guess is the iCloud backup is the key here.

Hope this helps!

I am Jack's account

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2015
I've updated my iPad 4th Generation to iOS 9 and I'm presently surprised how much the battery is lasting, over 14 hours and I still have more than 20% left.

I've purchased an iPad Air 2 last week and it came with iOS 8.1.3. I haven't updated to iOS 8.3 yet because based on most of what I read online, it's drains the battery a lot. Since the last full charge it lasted les than 8 hours! And I do not listen to music or watch videos on it. I only use iBook, google something every once in awhile and check my emails occasionally. I'm pretty frustrated and I'm almost returning it.

I know this is a iOS 9 forum so, I'm only illustrating my point before asking what's been your guy's experience. I'm considering installing iOS 9 on the iPad Air 2because of the great results I'm witness with the iPad 4, but the again, both my iPad 4s have always been great like that, the one still running iOS 6 is THE best. I've only spent five days with a Air and I wonder if it's the iOS or the device that is a piec of sh*t!

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Why keep that Air 2 on 8.1.3? Battery for iOS 8 went as follows in my personal opinion: 8.2>8.3>8.1.3 and below. Some people thought 8.3 was even better than 8.2, some had similar results to me with 8.2 being the best. Either way, 8.3 will probably be better than 8.1.3. On my iPhone, 8.1.3 and below was the most dreadful for battery life. I struggled to get 4 hours of use. 8.2 typically was 8.5 hours or more, which is good for iPhone. 8.3, I get 7.5 or so.

Pretty much before 8.2, all my devices were absolutely spammed by jetsam events, stacks, stacks+backboardd, and backboardd logs. I got to a point where I got nearly 30 stacks+backboardd logs a day. Restored as new and it didn't help that much.

8.3 should be at the very least the same battery life as 8.1.3. If it isn't, try iOS 9. You can still downgrade at this point if it doesn't do well. I've heard nothing but huge battery life issues on iOS 9, so it's at your own risk.

I am Jack's account

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2015
8.3 should be at the very least the same battery life as 8.1.3. If it isn't, try iOS 9. You can still downgrade at this point if it doesn't do well. I've heard nothing but huge battery life issues on iOS 9, so it's at your own risk.

Thanks for your input!

I'm updating right right, through iTunes... I figured, I still have two more day to return it and get a full refund, so worst case scenario, if iOS 8.3 manages to be even sh*ttier, I can always get a new one with 8.1.3.

It's sucks I can't try 8.2 but what really sucks is that everything Apple manufacture post 2012 is ridiculous. I basically want my iPad to read books and magazines and I purchased the most expensive eReader on the planet and it sucks! Everything was pretty great with iOS 6 (only have to charge my three year old iPad 4 twice a week!), unfortunately we've no choice but get used to this.

The new iOS is like Windows Vista = why? Why!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.