Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Interesting that my iPad Air 2 Wifi only is not draining at all. It has been amazing with battery life actually.

My iPad Air 2 with Cellular is draining fast. Initially I upgraded from 8.3 to 9.0. After a couple of days of unbelievable fast drain, even for a beta, I did a clean install via DFU. Battery has improved some. At this time 8 hours on Standby with 3 hours of use down to 61%.

I'm going to disable cellular and see how that might impact battery drain.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Peace guys. Battery pretty good for beta 1 :)

-Disable icloud
-Manually disable background activity 1 by 1
-Manually disable all search options
-Turn on power saving

Is this on iPhone 6 Plus? If so that seems about right as I have that with my 8.4 beta 4
image.jpg

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I looked through this thread and didn't see any mention of motion tracking. I have mine off and my battery is basically as good as it was before.

Yeah that can do wonders in beta 1 but I just rolled back to iOS 8, wasn't very excited with iOS 9 to limit functions plus I will get my watch soon and I don't plan to update it.

The best thing about iOS 9 is that it broke a lot less apps than previous betas.

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
I had the same drain on the battery while in low power mode which turns off motion tracking etc.

Sherif Iskander

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2002
Upgraded both iPone 6+ and Air 2 to 9.0. Both started really going through battery like crazy. Charged both till full and started monitoring battery. Found out that both showed usage time and standby as identical. This meant that the phone and iPad were not going into standby at all. Tried a few on's and off's. The on,y thing that worked for me and started showing a difference between usage and standby was when I turned off "Mail" related results in General>Search. I think what is happening is it's trying to index all mailboxes. I have several gigs worth of email in half a dozen accounts and this would explain significant load if it's being done. My mail is all IMAP and hence idexing would be happening over the network significantly impacting battery life. Things looking a lot better now.

./sherif

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
I had the same battery drain with everything turned off in search.....

Battery is back to normal on ios 8.3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 411
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 491
Reactions: Switchback666

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Apple promised up to 4 hours longer battery life with iOS9. So how come beta1 is so terrible for you guys? Do Apple have a better version of iOS9 in-house? If so, why haven't they released their best version as beta 1. Am I missing something?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apple promised up to 4 hours longer battery life with iOS9. So how come beta1 is so terrible for you guys? Do Apple have a better version of iOS9 in-house? If so, why haven't they released their best version as beta 1. Am I missing something?

Actually, they promised one hour more. They also said you get a total of three extra hours when using the low power mode. They're likely a few builds ahead of us are may be using our bug reports to improve their builds. I'm expecting and hoping that beta two will be much improved.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Actually, they promised one hour more. They also said you get a total of three extra hours when using the low power mode. They're likely a few builds ahead of us are may be using our bug reports to improve their builds. I'm expecting and hoping that beta two will be much improved.

You're right, I read a newspaper headline which stated four hours but the text then went on to say what you did.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ttery-Life-Low-Power-Mode-Notification-Widget

Still, one hour better shouldn't equate to much worse. Surely it would make more sense to release their best build and get cracking with bug solving on that.

watchthisspace

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010

Yup.. it's a beta for a reason ;)

- New API's that aren't working 100%
- New API's that break existing API's
- Background diagnostics sending data to Apple
- Current API tweaks which aren't fully working
- Pseudo effect of it being labelled beta.

etc etc..

Also the beta's are currently available to developers to test their apps with, implement new API's and to help Apple with bug identification.

The public beta is due out in July: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2015/06/12/how-to-sign-up-for-ios-9-public-beta-due-in-july/

Reactions: Tubamajuba

KooL BeAnZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Battery life is terrrible on my 6+.

Went from 98% at night to 40% in the morning, thats a 50% drop in 9 hours.

Normally its only 1-5% MAX.

So you can imagine battery life when using the phone....

Don't understand whats doing it:

Turned off pretty much everything too...

CharlieBrown-DE

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Germany
On my iPad Air 2 I have no battery drain at all.
Went to bed yesterday with 83% and in the morning it was 82%.
Now at midday, after only reading some emails it is 80%.

CagdasCizer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
ios 9 is really nice on my 3rd gen retina ipad. Far better than 8.3 in my opinion for performance. Battery life seems not affected that much. But my iphone 6+ battery was a joke. Never gone through a day. Went back to 8.4 beta 4. Gonna update. Also I did a antutu test without power saving it got 47000 ish scores but power saving lowered it down to 37000 ish scores. It also clocks down the processor too.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I don't think anyone should actually be WORRIED about this at all being an indication of what the GM is going to be. Stressing over their "one extra hour" claims already is pointless lol.

Reactions: rsbell

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011

Because it's a debug build, not a production build.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
I like all the new stuff in iOS 9 but my iPhone 6 can't make it through the day unless charged at least two times, going to be using my 5S until beta 2 comes out. I don't want to downgrade and lose my data.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Interesting that my iPad Air 2 Wifi only is not draining at all. It has been amazing with battery life actually.

I concur. The 6 Pluses battery on iOS 9 is complete dog ****. Meanwhile, I didn't even do a restore on my iPad to 9 (I just updated it) and the battery life is still really good! Since I took it off the charger, its been in standby for 2 and a half hours, with an hour of usage and its only lost 1%. My 6 Plus sitting pretty much idle dropped 20% over a 2 hour period. So, 10% an hour seems about right.

My iPad Air 2 went from about 12 hours of use to 4. Can't blame it when all it seems to do is dump energy into trying to light itself on fire. lol. Other iPad Air 2 owners running the beta know what I mean ;)

No, no I don't. My 6 Plus seems like it has a death wish when charging but I have yet to have my Air 2 even get remotely hot. Of course I am charging my iPhone with a 12w brick so thats more power at once. Probably why it gets so warm. Luckily I just leave it under the A/C vent to it stays cool.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
No, no I don't. My 6 Plus seems like it has a death wish when charging but I have yet to have my Air 2 even get remotely hot. Of course I am charging my iPhone with a 12w brick so thats more power at once. Probably why it gets so warm. Luckily I just leave it under the A/C vent to it stays cool.
Wow. I can't imagine picking up my iPad on iOS 9 and not having it instantly start to get warm. Within 5 minutes it's noticeably warmer then it should be.

Reactions: iamMacPerson
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.