Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Sorry to confuse you. I didn't see a way to cancel inside the Apple TV app on my Mac, so I found that support document and followed the instructions. The actual cancellation was easy, the problem was logging in. And this same issue of not accepting my password happens almost every time I need to login with my Apple ID, regardless of the device or app that I use.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Sorry to confuse you. I didn't see a way to cancel inside the Apple TV app on my Mac, so I found that support document and followed the instructions. The actual cancellation was easy, the problem was logging in. And this same issue of not accepting my password happens almost every time I need to login with my Apple ID, regardless of the device or app that I use.
Yeah, Apple concentrates all that stuff vs. putting it in the individual apps it seems.

For other readers: On a Mac, go to :apple:->SystemPrefs->AppleID->Subscriptions:Manage

Be aware that cancellation within the free trial is immediate.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yeah, Apple concentrates all that stuff vs. putting it in the individual apps it seems.

For other readers: On a Mac, go to :apple:->SystemPrefs->AppleID->Subscriptions:Manage

Be aware that cancellation within the free trial is immediate.
As I posted above, after Apple ID, you have to tap Media & Purchases first before you'll see Subscriptions.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Had a little over a week left but just cancelled now since it was on my mind. Could not figure out how to do this without a Google search. Man, I just hate doing anything related to my Apple ID. Went to tv.apple.com as per that support document and it wouldn't recognize my password. Even copied/pasted it from my password database so I'm sure I was entering it properly. Somehow I got to a different password screen after a few tries and that worked.

Then it wanted me to enter a verification code, which confused me because it was sent directly to the browser instead of texted to my phone as usual. And finally there was the annoying alert that "somebody signed in with my Apple ID". Anyway, it's cancelled now but that was a lot harder than it should have been!
I cancelled right on the iPhone, painless process…

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
For those who are not renewing - first I think you have to cancel - it won't just go away. Also, the notice I got from Apple said you have to cancel the day before at least.
I'm not an Apple employee but just my understanding on how it is working/cancelled
Yes, correct… it sits on auto renewal so definitely have to cancel.
I did it on my iPhone, settings, account, subscriptions… easy process

Last edited:

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
Cancelling my free subscription next week when it is up. I am definitely NOT renewing.

The selection of content is pathetic. The web interface is laughable. Incompetent design. The site freezes often and forgets where I left of. I have to back out of each episode to move forward in a series. ? The "skip" button is frequently not there. User experience is terrible. Embarrassing from a tech company. The whole endeavor was seemingly slapped together without much thought.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
My free subscription has ended. The only show that I would want to watch would be the new series of Ted Lasso though Foundation does sound interesting. Otherwise Disney and Netflix blow Apple out of the water right now.

The quality of the the Apple shows are excellent, but they are just so clinically clean, like a hospital ward.

I know I need to get a life. :cool:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The quality of the the Apple shows are excellent, but they are just so clinically clean, like a hospital ward.
I can see this opinion. But I just finished up Tehran and man, there’s nothing clean about that show. It’s really gritty and grimey.

Physical is kinda dark too, but with a lot of Apple polish. It’s weird that way.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I can see this opinion. But I just finished up Tehran and man, there’s nothing clean about that show. It’s really gritty and grimey.

Physical is kinda dark too, but with a lot of Apple polish. It’s weird that way.
Liked Tehran much, but to enough to keep ATV+ at this time.

nierensieb

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2019
I cancelled and I see in my subscriptions-settings that it has been cancelled (a week ago). However, I can still watch content.
Did this happen to anyone else?

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I went ahead and cancelled mine a week early in case I don’t have internet while in Puerto Rico next week. Once again, I never watched one show or episode, so I don’t know what I’m missing out on.

stephenschimpf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
My trial ended July 25, so the day before I switched my subscription from monthly to yearly so save $10. $40 a year doesn't sound like too much for me considering how much I love some of the shows. There are a number of others I haven't even gotten to yet.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
My free trial would have expired on Oct 2 but I've decided to cancel two months early because there is literally nothing on there that I would like or enjoy watching. The only reason why I subscribed to the free trial to begin with was Ewan McGregor's and Charley Boorman's Long Way Up, which ended up being somewhat disappointing (not Apple's fault obviously). I tried to browse the AppleTV+ catalog afterwards to find other stuff worth watching but it was too confusing as there was no clear distinction between a show or movie that is included in AppleTV+ and one that I have to purchase and pay for separately.

Not sure if that changed since as I gave up two weeks into my trial and almost exactly 30 minutes after I finished watching Long Way Up and never turned back. Not worth my time and money.

Last edited:

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I cancelled and I see in my subscriptions-settings that it has been cancelled (a week ago). However, I can still watch content.
Did this happen to anyone else?
Same thing happens to me. See how long that lasts.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I already had Apple Music Family ($15) and iCloud 2TB ($10) so for an extra $5, I get both News and Apple TV+. I‘m very unlikely to ever use Arcade. Possibly someone in my family might use Fitness.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.