Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
While no official Tiger release date has been revealed, according to word-of-mouth reports from Apple engineers claim that June 30th would be the ship date for Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger".

All official reports have only pinpointed the date to the 1st half of 2005.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
That would be great...I will hold of buying my next mac until then. Not to far off.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
It would be possible to announce the date at WWDC and ship on the 30th. Gosh, thats pushing it though. I can see many upset people if Apple ships the LAST day of the first half.

Then again. Apple said the theme would be innovation and mostly Tiger, so I would think they would want Tiger in people's hands by then. :confused: :(

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Believe me, I know Tiger's not here and isn't even close to being ready, but:
Didn't Steve promise Tiger for us in Janurary? Did I imagine this???

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I really hope it's sooner. Maybe April?

Think Secret is reporting that Apple's "working hard on Final Cut Pro 5 and will use the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference in mid-April to debut the software." The report also states that "Final Cut Pro 5 will require Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and will take advantage of the new Core Video technology, which functions as a bridge between QuickTime and a supported video card to deliver hardware-accelerated video processing."

If the story's true, then I really think Apple will release Tiger around the same time.

Maybe they'll even announce updated PBooks and iBooks too like they did last year.

*crosses fingers*

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
pdpfilms said:
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong....

Believe me, I know Tiger's not here and isn't even close to being ready, but:
Didn't Steve promise Tiger for us in Janurary? Did I imagine this???
Jobs never stated anything that I know of, however, there was a rumor that it was to be released at MacWorld San Francisco.

However, the apparent ramping up of Tiger propaganda (the box, the increasing amounts of Tiger related web pages, etc.) may indicate an imminent release :)

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
daveway00 said:
I can see many upset people if Apple ships the LAST day of the first half.

I think they'd do pretty much anything not to MISS the first half promise altogether.

Somehow, announced at WWDC and shipped for 6/30 delivery seems plausible.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If people get upset by this, then they should really grow up and stop whining.

Really.
:cool:
daveway00 said:
I can see many upset people if Apple ships the LAST day of the first half.
(

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I truly, TRULY don't care when Tiger comes out except for the following:

If it's released before WWDC, that means the chances of my Powerbook G5 coming out then are higher. Because they don't have a hell of a lot to do.

I think it'll be before June 30. I love the June 31st rumors. Call me when they release the sept-core G6 on Septembuary 77th.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
StarbucksSam said:
I truly, TRULY don't care when Tiger comes out except for the following:

If it's released before WWDC, that means the chances of my Powerbook G5 coming out then are higher. Because they don't have a hell of a lot to do.

I don't see how this is logical, as the hardware and software teams aren't the same group of people. They are on a large level, ala Apple, but thats about it. Unless you meant they don't have a lot to FOCUS on.. but Apple has always been good about corporate "multitasking" in my recollection. Perhaps not so much during the nineties before steve came back.. that was just sloppy and they spread themselves thin..and thick.. weird times.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
daveway00 said:
It would be possible to announce the date at WWDC and ship on the 30th. Gosh, thats pushing it though. I can see many upset people if Apple ships the LAST day of the first half.
Why?

1. Apple typically ships products at the end of the stated time frame.

2. Apple would be keeping its promise.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Steve Jobs said it would be released the 1st half of 2005. If it is released on June 30th he should have said it would be released on the last possible day to qualify for the 1st half of 2005. That stinks, haven't they already put in all the features that are going to be in tiger? They already showed it off, were those features even working when they previewed it? What have they been putting in Tiger that it would take so long to release it when we already saw what it looked like a long time ago.
Can't...wait....any....longer.

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
dongmin said:
Why?

1. Apple typically ships products at the end of the stated time frame.

2. Apple would be keeping its promise.

It's like having to wait till the last possible minute of christmas day to get your presents. I think they can do better than that.

wwworry

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2002
I don't know, panther seems pretty good to me. I don't feel like I am missing anything though I will welcome tiger when it's released.

What's with all the teeth gnashing?

The only thing I could see being mildly interested in is if you know you are about to buy a computer and you really don't want to pay the extra $129 a few months later. (that's actually my situation, everyone else is just hysterical ;) )

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
wwworry said:
I don't know, panther seems pretty good to me. I don't feel like I am missing anything though I will welcome tiger when it's released.

What's with all the teeth gnashing?

The only thing I could see being mildly interested in is if you know you are about to buy a computer and you really don't want to pay the extra $129 a few months later. (that's actually my situation, everyone else is just hysterical ;) )

According to Steve, Spotlight will change the way you use your computer,

Believe it!

I have no information, but:

Mar 22 - Announce
Mar 28 - Ship

It just feels right!

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Let see what release date will get more press accolades, June 30, 2005 the last day of H1 2005 or an earlier date that will impress all the nay-sayers. Not only has Apple delivered, it has delivered ahead of time for once and its spectacular. ;) :)

Apple is all about the Press Spotlight. ;) :)

aseh

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2004
dicklacara said:
I have no information, but:

Mar 22 - Announce
Mar 28 - Ship

It just feels right!
Those dates seem too close. Here were the dates for Panther:
Oct 8, 2003 (Wednesday morning) - Announce
Oct 24, 2003 (Friday evening) - Ship

Anyone who purchased a new computer after the announcement but before the release got to purchase Panther for $20.00. I'm in the market for a new Powerbook now & would hate to pay full price for an upgrade, so I'm really hoping for dates like these:
Mar 9 - Announce
Mar 25 - Ship

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.