Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
virus1 said:
wow.. you're organized.. good for you.. now shall i tell you about my organization structure? ok, i will: i always use my desktop. When my desktop gets full, i take everything in it, and put it in my home folder. I never delete stuff unless my hd is full, i never name files, or have a file structure.

Sorry dude but I call bad computing habits on you. So you are getting Tiger to fix an inherent problem with the way you use your computer that could be easily fixed by changing said computing habits. Huh. OK. Whatever. :confused:

virus1 said:
steve said spotlight would change the way we use computers because, like you said, he needs to get people hyped about tiger. so for you, it may not change the way you use a computer. but not everyone is like you (big surprise), and it will also induce some laziness about organization, because there is no need to waste your time for stuff like that.

Maybe instead of "Spotlight", it should have been named "Junkdrawer"? :p

Kelson

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2002
Dallas, TX
Or.....

SiliconAddict said:
Frankly I'm more then a bit concerned if it really is released the last day of the first half. That means they need every day they can get their hands on which may mean the OS is being rushed and could have "issues" out of the box.

Or they just set the H1'05 to give themselves plenty of time. They could release it April 1st, but it would be rushed, so they are going to take all of the time they can to get more fixes and testing. So the release of 10.4.0 will really be what would have been 10.4.4, because of all the additional testing/fixes.

Or maybe not...

- Kelson

virus1 said:
wow.. you're organized.. good for you.. now shall i tell you about my organization structure? ok, i will: i always use my desktop. When my desktop gets full, i take everything in it, and put it in my home folder. I never delete stuff unless my hd is full, i never name files, or have a file structure. so you don't need to get tiger, but you can bet that i will.

I don't think it would be a wild guess to say you're living with your parents, right? Brush up on those organizational skills now, before you're living on your own with timely responsibilities. You can thank me later! :D

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
And I just moved to Panther. Bugger.

Not complaining though, it is good. I doubt I'll wait so long for Tiger.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
dekator said:
Sorry, but I think that's bullocks. I'm organised, don't need to search for things all the time (wait, where did I put my cup of coffee). Sure, it will come in handy now and then for finding contents but hey, ever heard of marketing hype? Even for American standards Apple isn't exactly known for understatement.
I don't think you guys get the full potential of spotlight.

Two words: Smart Folders. Imagine that you are an architect and that you've organized your data by different projects. Let's say that you have a potential client and he wants you to put together a powerpoint of all your residential projects. Well, instead of having to browse through all your folders to find the appropriate images, you simply create a folder and assign some criteria for it, like you do in iTunes. Ex: image files smaller than 30 MBs, created after Dec. 31, and containing keywords "house," "apartment," and "renovation." Boom, you instantly have a folder that has links to all the appropriate files. The great thing is that a single file can 'reside' in multiple smart folders. No need to fuss with aliases, duplicates, etc.

Another cool thing about Spotlight is that it can be built into any application. So it's not just searches in the Finder, but in Mail, iPhotol, Addressbook, PowerPoint, etc. So you get live, instantaneous searches in all your apps like you can in iTunes.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
iCe Cube said:
when tiger comes out, will it be put on all mac computers straight away?

There will be the usual lag time. With some they will ship the Tiger CD. Those in the shipping process and it stores will be able to purchase the Tiger CD for $19.95, the shipping and handling cost.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
i'm pretty sure the June 30th thing is either a joke, or a way of covering up the real date. actually, i'm 99% sure its a joke. i could picture someone talking to an apple employee in secret:

person: "tiger is gonna be 1st half 2005... do you know what date?"
employee: "yeah, june 30th. but shhh, don't tell anybody."

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
...and slowly OS X becomes iTunes! :p
whats next? playlist-like file browsing? visulization file-copy screens?

but seriously all this smart folders and spotlight stuff sounds amazing. not so much spotlight but the smart folder side of things. i keep my folders all neat and tidy, but the same thing always happens; i find and copy all my flash/image files to make a portfolio or something, place it on my desktop for ease, burn to DVD and done. but just for safety i keep the old folder on my desktop still... meaning there are now 2 of each file. *hey im like that, i dont want to lose ANYTHING*

give me smart folders and i will die happy. strange how i forgot about them till today too.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
raggedjimmi said:
but seriously all this smart folders and spotlight stuff sounds amazing.
I totally agree. I was a bit wishy-washy on Tiger at first, but since hearing more about these two features, I'm totally sold.

I work in research (currently I'm a gradstudent), so I read a lot of scientific journal articles. These mostly take the form of tons of PDF files on my computer. Keeping them organized, even with good folder management, is a pain. The smartfolder feature is going to make organization much simpler and will also let me categorize articles in more than one subject. The fact that spotlight can search within the file instead of just the file info will make things even easier.

cdburrows

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2003
I dunno but from what I can see, amazon is listing availability of Mac OS X Tiger books from 31 March - July.... with the majority on 31 March and in the month of April.

TBH I don't know if this has any bearing of when Mac OS X Tiger will be released... but the publishers do appear to be making bets for a late march early april release :confused:

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
To the people complaining:

1. Realize if they wait till the last possible second to release it, they'll have that much more time to fix any show-stopping bugs.

2. If your developer seed ends before the release date, work one week at McDonalds or a Movie Theatre, and you will have earned enough to pay for it. You still have 92 days, and you only need 5 fulltime days to make enough for it. And that's if you can't get the student, educator, government employee or military discount.

3. If the cost is still too much, consider getting Tiger alternative programs which have many of the same features as Tiger but for less money. LaunchBar, QuickSilver, MenuStrip, Konfabulator, cover the majority of features that are new about Tiger.

4. Save up for a new machine after Tiger's release, and you'll get Tiger free by that time as it will be on the machine you bought it with.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
People, June 30th is not the LAST day of 1H 2005. It's the 181st day of the year, and 2005 has 365 days in it (ignoring the .25 day that will be made up in 2008). Therefore the halfway point is at 182.5 days, or noon on the 183rd day.

Thus Apple only needs to ship by noon on Saturday, July 2 to meet its goal. I predict they'll do a release at 10:00pm on Friday July 1, much like previous releases where it was late on a Friday or Saturday night. In-store parties, the whole shebang. They'll be a whole 14 hours ahead of the deadline!

:p

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
dongmin said:
I don't think you guys get the full potential of spotlight.

Two words: Smart Folders. Imagine that you are an architect and that you've organized your data by different projects. Let's say that you have a potential client and he wants you to put together a powerpoint of all your residential projects. Well, instead of having to browse through all your folders to find the appropriate images, you simply create a folder and assign some criteria for it, like you do in iTunes. Ex: image files smaller than 30 MBs, created after Dec. 31, and containing keywords "house," "apartment," and "renovation." Boom, you instantly have a folder that has links to all the appropriate files. The great thing is that a single file can 'reside' in multiple smart folders. No need to fuss with aliases, duplicates, etc.

Another cool thing about Spotlight is that it can be built into any application. So it's not just searches in the Finder, but in Mail, iPhotol, Addressbook, PowerPoint, etc. So you get live, instantaneous searches in all your apps like you can in iTunes.

And, you can program it yourself, using everything from Applescript to any of the other scripting or programming languages available on the Mac....

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I have to wait until Tiger is out and shipping with new computers. See my sig.

Still can't decide between a Mac mini G4/1.42GHz with 80GB/512MB/SuperDrive or a 17" iMac G5/1.8GHz with 512MB...

I don't have an LCD display right now (and I had already seen the iMac G4 display... not good at all - but saw the iMac G5 earlier this week - eek, I want one!)

P.S.: I just got a call from Apple, I had made a Mac mini config. on the Apple store a few days ago, they wanted to know what was holding me back. Told her I was waiting for Tiger. :D

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
Daham
Hector said:
There will be no god damn G5 poowerbooks until mac world paris and thats if we are lucky so shut the hell up about powerbook G5's at WWDC they were just updated!

It's still four months until WWDC, so why shouldn't there be updates? Is there some "Ye shalt update at most every six months" rule I happened not to come across?

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
I think it will definitely be sooner. With the release of FCP 5 (hopefully) and the WWDC before this date, how can developers and FCP users go without it? It'll have to be sooner, probably late April. Of course, Apple may give out pre-release copies to WWDC participants, then update their copies via Software Update when the final release is out. You never know.

phasornc

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2003
Tiger's just not ready yet

Don't bug Apple to get Tiger out sooner. If you've used the developer builds you know the state it's in. Tiger looks very promising but new features are still appearing in the developer builds, gui elements are still changing, in short it is not even in traditional "beta" quality yet.

I am curious how many 3d party hard drives will be wiped by 10.4.0 :p

Apple seems to have history of not testing with a lot of third party devices. It sure would be great if they would make a 3 week public beta period. Since every .0 OSX release has essentially been a public beta.

I'd even be happy if Apple did a public beta all summer. I'm in no hurry to have data disappear, fonts disappear(remember there's a new Font Book), and to have all my other software be incompatible with it.

Michael

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
ASP272 said:
I think it will definitely be sooner. With the release of FCP 5 (hopefully) and the WWDC before this date, how can developers and FCP users go without it? It'll have to be sooner, probably late April. Of course, Apple may give out pre-release copies to WWDC participants, then update their copies via Software Update when the final release is out. You never know.
I wouldn't bet on Apple shipping FCP at the NABC (mid-April), if that's the rumor you're referring to. They'll probably pre-announce it at the convention, as they've done in the past, but not ship it for another two months or so.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
bankshot said:
People, June 30th is not the LAST day of 1H 2005. It's the 181st day of the year, and 2005 has 365 days in it (ignoring the .25 day that will be made up in 2008). Therefore the halfway point is at 182.5 days, or noon on the 183rd day.

Thus Apple only needs to ship by noon on Saturday, July 2 to meet its goal. I predict they'll do a release at 10:00pm on Friday July 1, much like previous releases where it was late on a Friday or Saturday night. In-store parties, the whole shebang. They'll be a whole 14 hours ahead of the deadline!

:p

I think that is just too much of a technicality to be acceptable to the majority. Do agree that the release could be at 10:00pm. Already excited about the release party. Going to try to be 1st in line again, it would be the 2nd time. Just think that Steve is a creature of habit and will follow the previous 24th releases of OS X.

ryanyogan

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2005
Look at you people, you are all worried about something you really do not know anything about!! The developers are given deadlines that are not unrealisitic, you learn your first year as a software engineer in college how to manage this!! They don't pull these release dates out of a magical hat and say thats the date!! They know how long it takes, they can safely have a release date whenever they are completly done adding features and feel they will have the kinks out. Plus you have to count for the fact that it could be damn near close to done already, they also have to send it away and have some million copies made, boxed and ready to be shipped!! You can not blame Apple for IBM's unrealistic prediction that sounded good at the time! If Steve Jobs said tiger will be out in the first half, then quit worrying, go back to your lifes, it will be here!! It also makes things much quicker if you just forget about it, go to Apples website and "Boom" its there!

Ive already posted many times about G5 powerbooks too, just forget about them for a long time please you are really starting to waste forum bandwith, every single forum has 100's of G5 powerbook threads!! Apple is still trying to find new thermal engineers with 10 years + exp.. 2005 would be nice, but not any time soon, they are going to test the hell out of them before they even announce it. There is NO other manufacture that can stuff a desktop P4 in such a thin notebook, and make it quiet, and no heat, and still look good. I feel for Apple engineers, many of there customers have too high expectations some times, and if one thing isn't right they bitch and moan like it is the end of the world becuase there iBook has a 1/10" gap on it, or there powerbook produces heat. WELL NO **** IT PRODUCES HEAT?!?! Do the people using powerbooks even go outside in the sun? Or god forbid do anything that requires work, how much of a ***** do you have to be to not withstand heat from a notebook?!?!

Sorry I just think they are a great company, and you read on alot of forums people just bitching non stop. Go read a dell based forum! With all that said, I am soon to work for Apple's darkside, but I will always use Apple. I can confirm that many, many developers in Washington use Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.