Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Tiger on the 30th of June

Gee, you really need to talk to an Apple engineer to get this date. (Last day of June... end of the first half of 2005).

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Well... I would like to have Tiger ASAP as well, but I would like to point out that Apple "promised" 3 Ghz G5s at last years WWDC and that didn't happen, and the world hasn't come to an end. I think that they will deliver on the promised ship timeframe for Tiger, but just because they say something doesn't necessarily make it written in stone. ;)

alandail

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
How about they release it as soon as they finish writing and testing it instead of picking arbitrary dates on a calendar. I'd rather have it in a finished and tested state than have it at an early date.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
My guess still is it will be available on June 24 at 8 PM. Apple tends to release new OS X versions on a Friday, the 24th. I wonder why Apple hasn't changed their wording. If it's certain Tiger doesn't ship until June (which I believe is the case), why didn't the change the wording, i.e. Q2 2005 instead of 1H?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Billicus said:
Well... I would like to have Tiger ASAP as well, but I would like to point out that Apple "promised" 3 Ghz G5s at last years WWDC and that didn't happen, and the world hasn't come to an end. I think that they will deliver on the promised ship timeframe for Tiger, but just because they say something doesn't necessarily make it written in stone. ;)

The thing is with Tiger Apple's in control of everything. With the 3GHz G5's, they were dependent upon IBM delivering, which they couldn't.

vasu

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2002
New Orleans
10.0 came out March 24th
10.1 came out September 24th (i think?)
10.2 came out August 24th
10.3 came out October 24th

<whistle>

-vasu

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
dicklacara said:
According to Steve, Spotlight will change the way you use your computer,

Believe it!

It just feels right!

Sorry, but I think that's bullocks. I'm organised, don't need to search for things all the time (wait, where did I put my cup of coffee). Sure, it will come in handy now and then for finding contents but hey, ever heard of marketing hype? Even for American standards Apple isn't exactly known for understatement.

When will Tiger be released? I'd say as soon as it's ready. Apple certainly have no interest in delaying it but then, they wouldn't want a superb product's release be marred because of some stupid mistake or malfunctioning. No, this one's gotta shine, and it will... :p

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
reyesmac said:
Steve Jobs said it would be released the 1st half of 2005. If it is released on June 30th he should have said it would be released on the last possible day to qualify for the 1st half of 2005. That stinks, haven't they already put in all the features that are going to be in tiger? They already showed it off, were those features even working when they previewed it? What have they been putting in Tiger that it would take so long to release it when we already saw what it looked like a long time ago.
Can't...wait....any....longer.
You should have a look at the news item on the front page about the new Tiger build. Do you see all the remaining bugs? There might be all features introduced, but before it works they way it is supposed to, it needs some more work.

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
They can take as long as they like...

Panther works really well for me.

I look forward to tiger, as long as it presents a stable, consistant, and responsive environment to work in. Thate takes time. I hope they do.

D

Applespider

macrumors G4
dekator said:
Sorry, but I think that's bullocks. I'm organised, don't need to search for things all the time (wait, where did I put my cup of coffee). Sure, it will come in handy now and then for finding contents but hey, ever heard of marketing hype?

Part of me agrees with you. I rarely use 'Find' on my computer since I'm reasonably organised in folder structure etc. On the few occasions I do use it,I pull my hair out in frustration much of the time. Having Spotlight for those occasions will make a big difference.

Then again part of me never thought it that big a deal to go to the Dock, bring up my Apps folder and launch the 'not used enough to keep on the Dock' app. Now that I have Quicksilver on the machine, having easy, very fast access to those apps feels much more normal.

I'm beginning to wonder whether knowing I have immediate access to any file might make me less rigid about my folder structure. Even those few seconds to drill down to the appropriate level add up over the course of a day.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
There will be no god damn G5 poowerbooks until mac world paris and thats if we are lucky so shut the hell up about powerbook G5's at WWDC they were just updated!

every god damn rumor points towards the G5 powerbook to you people it is not going to happen at WWDC use your head

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Hector said:
There will be no god damn G5 poowerbooks until mac world paris and thats if we are lucky so shut the hell up about powerbook G5's at WWDC they were just updated!

every god damn rumor points towards the G5 powerbook to you people it is not going to happen at WWDC use your head

Yes so right.
Every rumor thread now is turning into a PB G5 thread, keep that in it's own threads

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Hector said:

You mean they aren't going to be in the developer goodie bags?

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Zaty said:
My guess still is it will be available on June 24 at 8 PM. Apple tends to release new OS X versions on a Friday, the 24th.

Hey! That's my birthday!

I'd have to say June sounds about right by me, given the combination of promises, rumors, and finished-ness of the builds discussed on rumors sites. That would also give Apple time for 10.3.9 to fix the problems with 10.3.8.

I'll naysay you all..

Tiger's put on sale (pre-orders) June 30th. It's "released" in order to stick to the "first half of '05" promise (to not look Longhornian).

It won't start actually shipping until mid-July, or however long it takes to squash all the bugs.

Give me a month late without all the 10.4.1, 10.4.2, security updates and reformatted hard-drives that seem to immediately follow a rushed release and I'll be happy... Maybe Apple can cut down on the amount of people who justifiably feel like guinea pigs when they release something new...

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
jayscheuerle said:
Give me a month late without all the 10.4.1, 10.4.2, security updates and reformatted hard-drives that seem to immediately follow a rushed release and I'll be happy... Maybe Apple can cut down on the amount of people who justifiably feel like guinea pigs when they release something new...

I agree completely. Panther is more than fine for the timebeing. I can wait however long it takes for Tiger to actually be ready.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
deanbo said:
Gee, you really need to talk to an Apple engineer to get this date. (Last day of June... end of the first half of 2005).
Good point.. They might not even be sure, it would just be a safe guess, so they have something to say (unnoficially)

also, i hate to say it, but tiger is incredibly slow, because the graphics really slow it down. when i try to open a menu, it takes .5 - 2 seconds to actually open. i have a 1ghz 12" tibook w/ 512 ram

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
dekator said:
Sorry, but I think that's bullocks. I'm organised, don't need to search for things all the time (wait, where did I put my cup of coffee). Sure, it will come in handy now and then for finding contents but hey, ever heard of marketing hype? Even for American standards Apple isn't exactly known for understatement.

wow.. you're organized.. good for you.. now shall i tell you about my organization structure? ok, i will: i always use my desktop. When my desktop gets full, i take everything in it, and put it in my home folder. I never delete stuff unless my hd is full, i never name files, or have a file structure. so you don't need to get tiger, but you can bet that i will. steve said spotlight would change the way we use computers because, like you said, he needs to get people hyped about tiger. so for you, it may not change the way you use a computer. but not everyone is like you (big surprise), and it will also induce some laziness about organization, because there is no need to waste your time for stuff like that.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
daveway00 said:
It would be possible to announce the date at WWDC and ship on the 30th. Gosh, thats pushing it though. I can see many upset people if Apple ships the LAST day of the first half.

Then again. Apple said the theme would be innovation and mostly Tiger, so I would think they would want Tiger in people's hands by then. :confused: :(

Yah well I can see even more upset people if Apple releases a buggy OS. God people its not as if Apple is going to up and change the release date to oh say end of 2006. *coughs*Microsoft*coughs* Panther is a solid OS. Tiger will come when it comes and if Steve has to eat his pride and push it back a few days, weeks, months. So be it as long as its fast, stable, and relatively bug free.

Frankly I'm more then a bit concerned if it really is released the last day of the first half. That means they need every day they can get their hands on which may mean the OS is being rushed and could have "issues" out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.