Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
Give them time

Give them time to get it done right. I'd rather have the next os in December if need be. I remember when I first got panther (10.3.0 or .3.1?) and it hosed the battery on my powerbook. And remember the file vault issues that cased a lot of people to lose their data. I'm excited about tiger to, but more importantly I want a stable running machine for me to do my work on. For that cause I love panther. I have next to zero problems.

And to those who feel like they can wait for Tiger.... go and try and play a movie on a Windows Machine or play some music files with out iTunes. Then you'll be happy to sit in front of your mac again!

ryanyogan

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2005
arcobb said:
Give them time to get it done right. I'd rather have the next os in December if need be. I remember when I first got panther (10.3.0 or .3.1?) and it hosed the battery on my powerbook. And remember the file vault issues that cased a lot of people to lose their data. I'm excited about tiger to, but more importantly I want a stable running machine for me to do my work on. For that cause I love panther. I have next to zero problems.

And to those who feel like they can wait for Tiger.... go and try and play a movie on a Windows Machine or play some music files with out iTunes. Then you'll be happy to sit in front of your mac again!

I am confused how is playing a movie on windows any different then panther...? They are all the same codecs, and quicktime is on windows too. I run true 7.1 digital off my pc as well, so I guess if you wanted to compare, try doing that on a mac right now. I use iTunes on mac and pc, and find it no different except for the fact that iTunes on my custom built p4's loads up and scrolls through songs much, much quicker.... I agree with you on waiting though, I too would rather them go ahead and take an extra month and add all the bug fixes isntead of rushing it out and waiting for 10.4.1 to be stable as with the last 3 releases from 10.0, 10.2,10.3. It was nice of them to give 10.1 for free though, man what a mess 10.0 was, so awesome, yet what a mess

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
ryanyogan said:
I am confused how is playing a movie on windows any different then panther...? They are all the same codecs, and quicktime is on windows too. I run true 7.1 digital off my pc as well, so I guess if you wanted to compare, try doing that on a mac right now. I use iTunes on mac and pc, and find it no different except for the fact that iTunes on my custom built p4's loads up and scrolls through songs much, much quicker.... I agree with you on waiting though, I too would rather them go ahead and take an extra month and add all the bug fixes isntead of rushing it out and waiting for 10.4.1 to be stable as with the last 3 releases from 10.0, 10.2,10.3. It was nice of them to give 10.1 for free though, man what a mess 10.0 was, so awesome, yet what a mess

My girlfriend has a Dell laptop and she uses media player to watch her movies and play her music. It makes me cry evertime we use it because something always crashes or something goes wrong and we sit there for 10 minutes trying to fix it while we get 14 pop-ups in the mean time!. I am talking her into iTunes though :)

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
For what it's worth, if you pre-order Tiger at Amazon and start to go thru the checkout procedure, it lists the estimated ship date as April 22.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
madrobby said:
It's still four months until WWDC, so why shouldn't there be updates? Is there some "Ye shalt update at most every six months" rule I happened not to come across?

When Apple has updated too soon, it has been burnt more times than you can know. 10.3.8 is closing in on this Firewire bug on http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html that has existed since October 25, 2003 with 10.3.0. 10.2.8 was released and pulled within a week, because certain early G4s ethernet was disabled. 10.2.7 which was released with Powerbooks had a very bad battery life.10.2.5 was really bad in that many third party USB hubs didn't work. Until 10.2.3 many multifunction HP printers slowed down the operating system system significantly. My favorite release which was too early was iTunes 2.0. It erased hard drives that had certain uncommon names. We should hope Apple releases Tiger later so that any show stopper bugs are gone.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i dont know why myself but watching a DVD on my 12" PB is a better experience than a DVD on my 15" laptop. the sound in the PB is miles better and you dont get any funky vertical dark/light gradients on PB screens either, or not as contrasting.

7.1 on a computer... and slowly the line between plain TV/DVD watching and computer is ever more blurred. gimme 7.1 in a living room anyday.

omahajim

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Under-promise, over-deliver

Meaning, promise June 30 yet deliver on May 30. Instead of the Microsoft way, promise May 30 then deliver May 29 (that's May 29 NEXT YEAR).

Promise late, deliver early, instead of the other way around. Very simple.

(I'm not claiming any of these dates are accurate, I'm illustrating a point).

omahajim said:
Meaning, promise June 30 yet deliver on May 30. Instead of the Microsoft way, promise May 30 then deliver May 29 (that's May 29 NEXT YEAR).

Promise late, deliver early, instead of the other way around. Very simple.

(I'm not claiming any of these dates are accurate, I'm illustrating a point).

I don't think Apple has a reputation of delivering early. Wasn't 10.2 pushed until the last possible date of the "promise"? And then 10.3 showed up and wiped out tons of firewire hard-drives. Let's not even get into the 3gHz promise for the G5s.... Screw the promise date and just put it out when it's ready, or it will be a clunker (like any G5-based powerbook in the next year). Apple's machines and software are works of art and you can't rush art. Let it be beautiful and work beautifully, and let it be in its own time...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
jayscheuerle said:
I don't think Apple has a reputation of delivering early. Wasn't 10.2 pushed until the last possible date of the "promise"? And then 10.3 showed up and wiped out tons of firewire hard-drives. Let's not even get into the 3gHz promise for the G5s.... Screw the promise date and just put it out when it's ready, or it will be a clunkier (like any G5-based powerbook in the next year). Apple's machines and software are works of art and you can't rush art. Let it be beautiful and work beautifully, and let it be in its own time...

I'm still pushing for the 24th. Why not continue the previous release trend for Mac OS X

staxor

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2005
This is the deal. Difinitively, apple has said that Tiger will be ship in the first half of the year. That means the last day Tiger can ship will be june 30th. This means that the ship date will probably be june 30th.

fisious

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
Spotlight, the universe and everything.

dekator said:
Sorry, but I think that's bullocks. I'm organised, don't need to search for things all the time (wait, where did I put my cup of coffee). Sure, it will come in handy now and then for finding contents but hey, ever heard of marketing hype? Even for American standards Apple isn't exactly known for understatement.

I think it will change the way you use your computer.

I don't think it will drastically change your life in anyway though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.