Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
That's six months

...sigh...

October, November, December, January, February, March, April....

Try counting again.

And flu activity can continue into May, if we really want to do this.

CDC collects data from October 1, 2019, through April 4, 2020. That's six months bud

Not a good look for you! Do your research!

They collect data through the end of May. End of. That's actually 8 months. The number of data points in May is often considerably low, which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said 7 months. The last reported cases to hospitals this past year was early April. That's just where their available data ends for 2019-2020. It does not count people that never present themselves to a hospital to be counted.

So, maybe, do your research and don't quote the first thing you found. Especially considering you only needed to go back 1 year to see that the H1N1 of that season crested the surveillance baseline in October, and the 2nd strain of flu for the year in H3N2 stayed well above the surveillance baseline into May...

Last edited:
Reactions: madrag

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
400k? COVID has barely killed 10,000 people by itself. The vast majority of supposed COVID deaths were deaths WITH COVID, not deaths FROM COVID. COVID isn’t even as deadly as the flu, and it’s only deadly in certain populations, which can easily be protected from it with some reasonable safety measures. The COVID lockdowns have killed and harmed vastly more people than COVID.

The bottom line is there is no pandemic from COVID. COVID is real, but it isn’t a pandemic. If you want to live in fear, locked up in your house and wearing a bacterial zoo on your face as you imagine it’s protecting you, that’s your right. Just don’t impose the same ridiculous nonsense on the rest of us.

"Killed x number of people by itself"...

Do you have any idea how to fill out a death certificate? Or are you just going to repeat what someone else said (incorrectly, mind you) because you can't be bothered to look?

I already know the answer to my question is "No, I don't have a clue"... which is why what you said is so ridiculous and asinine.

10,000 death certificates were filled out with only covid-19 listed as a cause of death. 10,000 death certificates were filled out wrong.

People don't die from the disease, they die from the sequela of the disease. That's why there's multiple lines on a death certificate.

1. Respiratory failure
Due to, or as a consequence of:
2. Pneumonia
3. Sepsis
4. COVID-19

We can play this same thing out for Freddie Mercury...

1. Respiratory failure
2. Pneumonia
3. AIDS

What killed Freddie Mercury? AIDS did. It was the direct source cause of his pneumonia, which filled his lungs with fluid, which caused him to not oxidize enough blood, leading to his death by respiratory failure. That's how things work.

Here's an example from the CDC:

Next time, do better. Research.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Ah CNN and the verge. The two biggest anti-trump sources.

Let’s see how it all plays out, trump has agreed to ‘in concept’.

Attacking the sources when the facts aren't on your side is definitely a Trump move. Good job.

CNBC now has an article out that ByteDance is disputing what Trump said[1]. The only part of this deal that ever has a chance of happening is the financing round. My guess is the valuation is going to be insanely high for 20% of the company. Brilliant move on ByteDance to milk some other sucker companies (Oracle and Walmart) to pay off early ByteDance investors. A technology transfer will never happen [2]. Trump got his soundbite and this will go down like Foxconn, Apple, the wall, etc...

[1] https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/byt...tiktok-us-refutes-5-billion-taxes-claim-.html
[2] https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/tik...it-will-not-transfer-algorithm-to-oracle.html

Reactions: AirunJae

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
Like most government intervention in public markets, a couple of companies win, consumer loses and the government continues its overreach.

The president should not be involving himself personally in private merger deals. Walmart and Oracle got a piece of a hot tech company. Nothing was done to ensure the privacy and safety of US consumers. This is ridiculous all around.

Reactions: hot-gril

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I'd love to know how TikTok is going to generate 25k jobs in the US. Oracle already has 135k employees (~30% of which are not in the US), that can manage the technical side. Walmart also makes no sense.

Basically a fake deal to let the POTUS say he got something done. Yawn.

It’s possible they are including the people who will be content creators like YouTubers and the advertising jobs associated with it. It’s like the numbers Apple puts out from time to time that includes app devs and peripheral jobs that are associated with Apple but not through direct employment.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
As an App Dev, I do NOT think that's the Best Structure !

Specifically, IMO, Upload Source Code should be transferred (from TikTok Global) to Oracle, who is then responsible for Uploading it to App Store Connect !

When it completes processing on Apple's end, TikTok Global can hit "submit".

This structure makes Oracle a Man in the Middle; they can, if they so chose, Review the Code BEFORE Uploading it, & thus BEFORE it makes it to the General Public !

In fact, if I was writing it (i.e., the Deal), I would make it Mandatory that Oracle MUST Review (& Test) the Code for 24 hours BEFORE Uploading it to App Store Connect !

Trump is wise NOT to trust the Chinese.

If there is a Loophole in the Deal, they will most-certainly exploit it !

You can remove the "If". Of course there are loop holds. For example, China may have to have read-only access to all data to verify that the US corps are treating them fairly. Opps, there goes the security.

Internal security is a bear when everyone is on the same side. I just don't see Oracle and Walmart up to the security knowledge for this change to make any difference other than a payoff into US coffers.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Does not matter who the president is, democrat or republican, they all take credit when they can for things that are meaningless or that they did not have anything to do with. It is the nature of the position.

If you think Trump is worse than others then you simply have political blinders on or lack the ability to analyze critically.

Our government (American) is rotten to the core, both democrat and republican. Please wake up and read a little history. No President has controlled the government since at least Kennedy was assassinated, probably before. But as long as the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. can install a fake enemy (in this case the President) in the eyes of the people, they maintain and increase their absolute power.

Why do you think Biden is being pushed into the race. He will simply do what he is told. Trump doesn't.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
...sigh...

October, November, December, January, February, March, April....

Try counting again.

And flu activity can continue into May, if we really want to do this.

They collect data through the end of May. End of. That's actually 8 months. The number of data points in May is often considerably low, which is why I gave you the benefit of the doubt and said 7 months. The last reported cases to hospitals this past year was early April. That's just where their available data ends for 2019-2020. It does not count people that never present themselves to a hospital to be counted.

So, maybe, do your research and don't quote the first thing you found. Especially considering you only needed to go back 1 year to see that the H1N1 of that season crested the surveillance baseline in October, and the 2nd strain of flu for the year in H3N2 stayed well above the surveillance baseline into May...

A long explanation with no source. Embarrassing really. Dont back in a corner when you were proven wrong. CDC doesn’t collect the data past April 4. 6 Months. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Do you’re research, very embarrassing.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
This is about a president whose legacy is an unfinished wall against Mexico, two hundred thousand dead citizens, and hurt feelings after being deceived by the Tiktok fan base at a rally in Tulsa. He's doing all he can to throw dust in the air to confuse the general public about his dirty deeds, in a desperate hope to retain the power come November.

You are totally correct.
He failed as a president.
The Republican Party is now the Cult of Trump.
There are no deeds dirty enough to have his sycophants disavow his behavior.
He's lied about his taxes.
He's lied 20K times on record to the American public.
He appoints unqualified people in positions to do his bidding (US Postal Service, Pentagon, HHS, etc).
He has completely mislead the public about Covid.
Failed President. Failed Human.
Vote on Nov 3 like your life depends on it. It does.
[automerge]1600704469[/automerge]
I refer to him as a clown, an effing idiot of epic proportions…

My nickname for him is "Donny the dummy".

Last edited:

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Does not matter who the president is, democrat or republican, they all take credit when they can for things that are meaningless or that they did not have anything to do with. It is the nature of the position.

If you think Trump is worse than others then you simply have political blinders on or lack the ability to analyze critically.

Our government (American) is rotten to the core, both democrat and republican. Please wake up and read a little history. No President has controlled the government since at least Kennedy was assassinated, probably before. But as long as the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. can install a fake enemy (in this case the President) in the eyes of the people, they maintain and increase their absolute power.

Why do you think Biden is being pushed into the race. He will simply do what he is told. Trump doesn't.

Trump is doing the missing of the far right. You don't need to believe it, but it is true.
Trump is one of the worst presidents in history.

It does matter who the president is.
Ronald Reagan signed on of the largest tax increases on the middle class into law. He eliminated tax deductions on consumer debt and student loans.
Donald Trump signed into law a give away to corporations while capping the SALT deduction and increased taxes on the middle class.
In the recent CARE act, unreimbursed expenses incurred while working from home have been eliminated as deduction until 2025.
Republicans always claim Democrats tax and spend, but republicans have been notorious for raising taxes on the middle class and raiding the coffers to give to corporations.
The Republican Party under Reagan and Trump tout the "Trickle Down Theory".
George H.W. Bush coined the term "Voodoo Economics" and no economist that is not an ultra conservative in the pocket of corporations believes in those theories.

Republicans are firm in their convictions but flexible on their morals, ethics and positions.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
I agree. The media here in Germany is painting a very bad picture of trump.
His middle east accomplishments were barely mentioned.
Obama on the other hand was worshiped for no reason.

I am not a fan of trumps communication style and threats against Germany but credit is due where credit is due.

He achieved way more than Obama ever has and will most likely get re-elected.

As someone in Germany, you recognize that Nazi regalia, etc is not to be revered.
Here in America, Trump reveres confederate symbols and leaders.
These leaders were traitors to the US and their proposed government was built on the ideal that anyone that wasn't white would be subjugated.

This is the man that is president of the US.
You don't see what is going on here everyday.
Trump lies about everything. He has told 20K lies.
He can't speak without lying.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
I didn’t claim Mexico would pay for it. I simply said 325 miles were built. I was right.
[automerge]1600649162[/automerge]

More people you know have been hurt by lockdowns versus actually being sick from Covid.

Everyone I know, has been hurt more by the lockdown... can’t say I know anyone who caught Covid, let alone died from it

Well I know people that have died.
I can't say I know of anyone that has ever died from the Flu.
in a bad Flu year 50K might die.
So far 200K have died from Covid and the numbers have not stopped.
Herman Cain -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain
Trump supporter at the Oklahoma event that claimed Covid wasn't real, died from Covid.
He's not the only one.
Believe what you want.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Attacking the sources when the facts aren't on your side is definitely a Trump move. Good job.

CNBC now has an article out that ByteDance is disputing what Trump said[1]. The only part of this deal that ever has a chance of happening is the financing round. My guess is the valuation is going to be insanely high for 20% of the company. Brilliant move on ByteDance to milk some other sucker companies (Oracle and Walmart) to pay off early ByteDance investors. A technology transfer will never happen [2]. Trump got his soundbite and this will go down like Foxconn, Apple, the wall, etc...

[1] https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/byt...tiktok-us-refutes-5-billion-taxes-claim-.html
[2] https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/21/tik...it-will-not-transfer-algorithm-to-oracle.html

The wall which is 325 miles built?
Well I know people that have died.
I can't say I know of anyone that has ever died from the Flu.
in a bad Flu year 50K might die.
So far 200K have died from Covid and the numbers have not stopped.
Herman Cain -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain
Trump supporter at the Oklahoma event that claimed Covid wasn't real, died from Covid.
He's not the only one.
Believe what you want.

more people hurt than lockdowns than Covid.

this is what I believe

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
A long explanation with no source. Embarrassing really. Dont back in a corner when you were proven wrong. CDC doesn’t collect the data past April 4. 6 Months. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Do you’re research, very embarrassing.

...sigh...

Just quit while you're behind.

April 4th, 2020 is the last date for this past season, and only this past season, that influenza activity remained above the surveillance baseline, 2.4% for ILI in the 2019-2020 season. It's only applicable for that season. Each season is different, because its flu strand is different. It evolves, changing every year.

September 30th, 2018 through May 18th, 2019. 1 year ago, like I already told you.

"Influenza activity* in the United States during the 2018–19 season (September 30, 2018–May 18, 2019) was of moderate severity"

8 months.

The CDC collects data year round, because the flu is present year round - it's how they predict by August what strands to vaccinate against... because people had it before October. "Flu season" is simply a time period that is characterized by the prevalence of influenza outbreaks, the CDC tracks the outbreaks and, get ready for this shocker, quarantines them - most commonly a hospital or nursing home in the case of a flu. It isn't dormant at any point of the year, it's just that when we're forced indoors in the colder months, there's more transmission of it so it spikes; or you're colder so your mucous membranes dehydrate and don't naturally fight off its presence. There's a thing called the "surveillance baseline"... which I mentioned already in this post and the previous... whereby once the numbers are above a certain amount, they start actively tracking and publishing their data findings.

This is all published by the CDC as Purposes and Methods, it's quite transparent.

“Flu season” — as determined by elevated flu activity – also varies from season to season. During most seasons, activity begins to increase in October, most often peaks between December and February and can remain elevated into May. The flu season is said to have started after consecutive weeks of elevated flu activity is registered in the various CDC influenza surveillance systems.

The only embarrassing things here is the fact you replied without even bothering to do any research. That, and you don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
400k? COVID has barely killed 10,000 people by itself. The vast majority of supposed COVID deaths were deaths WITH COVID, not deaths FROM COVID. COVID isn’t even as deadly as the flu, and it’s only deadly in certain populations, which can easily be protected from it with some reasonable safety measures. The COVID lockdowns have killed and harmed vastly more people than COVID.

The bottom line is there is no pandemic from COVID. COVID is real, but it isn’t a pandemic. If you want to live in fear, locked up in your house and wearing a bacterial zoo on your face as you imagine it’s protecting you, that’s your right. Just don’t impose the same ridiculous nonsense on the rest of us.

So Covid isn't a Pandemic?
Even Trump admits it's a pandemic, but downplayed it.
The CDC, WHO, HHS, and other health organizations throughout the world consider it a pandemic.
Yo know more than world scientists?
Covid barely killed 10K? Huh?
You can look at the 5 year average and look at the current US death rate to see how many deaths are from Covid without even looking at actual autopsies. There are a number of expected deaths and we are surpassing that by large amount. That can be directly attributed to Covid.

Not as deadly as the flu? Even Donald Trump in the Woodward interview contradicts your claim.

So you do what ever you want.
But since you think Covid isn't real, if you get sick from Covid, you won't go to the hospital and died at home?
It isn't real right?

Herman Cain said the same thing -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain
He attended the Oklahoma super spreader even. He contracted Covid and died.
But keep believing it isn't real. It will be real if a family member dies.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.

this is what I believe

You can believe what you want. Your beliefs are not grounded in fact.
The CDDC, HHS, WHO, and health organizations around the world contradict your "beliefs".
The UK has been locked down.
New Zealand, Australia, and a host of other countries have been locked down.

But believe what you want.
So go out and mingle.
If you get really sick like Herman Cain, you'll stay home and not go to the hospital?
Because, it's not real right?
No need to go to the hospital, if it's all hype, right?
If one of your family dies, will it be real? Is that what it would take?
I ask, because there are people that had your view, until they or their family got sick.

But it isn't real......

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
...sigh...

Just quit while you're behind.

April 4th, 2020 is the last date for this past season, and only this past season, that influenza activity remained above the surveillance baseline, 2.4% for ILI in the 2019-2020 season. It's only applicable for that season. Each season is different, because its flu strand is different. It evolves, changing every year.

September 30th, 2018 through May 18th, 2019. 1 year ago, like I already told you.

8 months.

The CDC collects data year round, because the flu is present year round - it's how they predict by August what strands to vaccinate against... because people had it before October. "Flu season" is simply a time period that is characterized by the prevalence of influenza outbreaks, the CDC tracks the outbreaks and, get ready for this shocker, quarantines them - most commonly a hospital or nursing home in the case of a flu. It isn't dormant at any point of the year, it's just that when we're forced indoors in the colder months, there's more transmission of it so it spikes; or you're colder so your mucous membranes dehydrate and don't naturally fight off its presence. There's a thing called the "surveillance baseline"... which I mentioned already in this post and the previous... whereby once the numbers are above a certain amount, they start actively tracking and publishing their data findings.

This is all published by the CDC as Purposes and Methods, it's quite transparent.

The only embarrassing things here is the fact you replied without even bothering to do any research. That, and you don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'.
But we’re talking about last flu season. Which was 6 months. Not 7 months like you said.

a lot of typing, you could just have said you were wrong :/

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
You can believe what you want. Your beliefs are not grounded in fact.
The CDDC, HHS, WHO, and health organizations around the world contradict your "beliefs".
The UK has been locked down.
New Zealand, Australia, and a host of other countries have been locked down.

But believe what you want.
So go out and mingle.
If you get really sick like Herman Cain, you'll stay home and not go to the hospital?
Because, it's not real right?
No need to go to the hospital, if it's all hype, right?
If one of your family dies, will it be real? Is that what it would take?
I ask, because there are people that had your view, until they or their family got sick.

But it isn't real......

meanwhile I’m at the bar with my friends snickering. Like the rest of the world:

Last edited:

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA

Even if I assumed your 325 number is correct, that's ~80miles/year so ~20 years to build the whole wall? And what happened to Mexico paying? Hahaha

this is what I believe

If you could have led with that you believe what you believe regardless of facts, we could have skipped this whole conversation. I try to avoid discussions with people who are not acting in good faith.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
But we’re talking about last flu season. Which was 6 months. Not 7 months like you said.

a lot of typing, you could just have said you were wrong :/

No, we were not talking about the 2019-2020 flu season. We're talking about a blanket statement about "flu season" that you started. And no, you don't get to move the goalposts to find a way to be right, because you're still wrong.

Flu deaths are only reported over 5 months. 62,000 flu deaths x 2 = 124,000 deaths.

5 months stated, no years given.

To which I said, it's 7 months -- most commonly running October through April. You then said:

That's six months

To which I told you, each season is different and some extend into May, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt at 7 and gave you an example as to why, producing the year you needed to look at.

You replied that I didn't research, when in fact I did and had previously given you the precise year to look at -- you ignored that and instead added a year finally. To not let you off the hook, I gave you the links to support the knowledge in my head and took the time to explain to you what "flu season" actually means, since you're quite confused.

So how are you still wrong even when you move the goalposts? Because 62,000 deaths over that period does not extrapolate out to 124,000. The reason why it's a "flu season" is because there's very little influenza activity in the remaining months. If you're lucky you'd get to 63,000. A 0.004% mortality rate among those diagnosed.

Covid isn't seasonal. It killed through the summer months at great numbers. It continues to, and is flaring back up again. All you need to do is look at the gulf between projected annual deaths for this year, which currently stands at 12% higher than projected numbers from our mortality rate here.

Reactions: mdatwood

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Oh your god. This isn't about belief.

Did you see what happened in Wuhan and Lombardy, when the virus got free reign? When that happens, ICUs are running out quickly, and you are facing massive death, not only among the elderly. The system breaks down, and nobody can help you when you're drowning from within in pneumonia.

Lockdown isn't really necessary, but social distancing and other measure are. Without them, you'd see horror scenes in society that Hollywood couldn't invent.

this is what I believe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.