Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
If you’re not sure about something, try reading up on it and educating yourself.
[automerge]1575307522[/automerge]

Yes, let’s wait until it has already hit the fan and is too late to reverse course. Humans are dumb.
OK, I have. I give you Inconvenient Facts, by Gregory Wrightstone. Give it a chance objectively.

My point was that we've been told over and over that the sh-t should have already hit the fan. So, I just want to know when this is going to happen (because you tell me it's certain) before I submit to you and others forcing me to do this and that to stop it.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Climate change is a joke and so is Apple for its plea.

The climate would change with or without emissions. There's no stopping it. It's a natural cycle. NASA actually knew this a long time ago. Stop wasting taxpayer money on "climate change" nonsense. Use it to bring back jobs instead and distance ourselves from China as much as possible.

The Paris Agreement is a farce. It is exploited to no end by China and others who couldn't give two ***** about "climate change", let alone heavy smog in its cities.

That's a great reason to do nothing about it. You know, because it’s natural. I guess we should stop researching cancer treatments. Or hell, let’s stop researching diseases/cures altogether because disease and cancer is as natural as it gets.

Great logic. The Earth has a condition, natural or not, that will cause great catastrophe to future life on Earth. But let’s just give up and keep the party rolling, because a group of stubborn people who refuse to listen to the people who spend their entire lives researching climate science, think humans are not the cause.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Climate change exists regardless of your political leanings. Put all the nonsensical "ism" labels you want on it, the temperature is still going up and it is still human activity driving it.

Of course climate change exists; the climate is always changing. How Orwellian.

You say "the temperature is still going up.."

Okay, then why not call it global warming? If it's "going up," just say "it's warming."

This is all politics.

People don't really fight about "settled science," like gravity or the round Earth (except a few nitwits).

I mean, do you really think people who disagree with your climate narrative are "anti-science" or "science deniers" (by the way, a nice riff off "holocaust denier" to 1) be extra mean and 2) show maximum scorn and 3) to assign maximum shame)?

It's absurd.
[automerge]1575313735[/automerge]
Agreed lets cut human population. The problem is us yet nobody wants to take the actual steps to stopping it.
If it's an existential crisis and there is "literally no time to waste" transfer to nuclear as much as possible. Right. Now. There is no time to waste, correct?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
That's true. But most also shut their mouths and don't go virtue signaling into areas touching HEAVILY on matters of foreign policy, like global warming.

You can say Tim Cook shouldn't have anything to do with foreign policy and on that score we absolutely agree.

But he should stop lecturing about issues that touch heavily on things he shouldn't be engaging.

Tim Cook, as the CEO of Apple, has the right and a duty to advocate to the United States government any matters affecting Apple and its employees.

If you're a US citizen you also have that same right.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Just a publicity stunt by Cook to try to make Trump look bad and lose votes. We know that Tim hates Trump. And we know that anyone who is supposedly intelligent enough to be CEO of Apple could not possibly be dumb enough or so unaware as to really think that the Paris agreement is something more than a bag of crap.

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
There’s a scientific consensus. There’s no debate to be had. That’s like asking to hear both sides of the story about whether or not the earth is flat.
Science is not about consensus. If it were, the earth would be flat because that was the "consensus" way back and everyone was being ridiculed and killed for thinking otherwise. Those stupid flat deniers... Then facts got in the way. Prove it. Then, prove to me that decimating the global economy is the best way to "fight" it.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Tim Cook, as the CEO of Apple, has the right and a duty to advocate to the United States government any matters affecting Apple and its employees.

If you're a US citizen you also have that same right.
Well, then I guess you don't have a problem with him inserting himself into foreign affairs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[automerge]1575314056[/automerge]
Science is not about consensus. If it were, the earth would be flat because that was the "consensus" way back and everyone was being ridiculed and killed for thinking otherwise. Those stupid flat deniers... Then facts got in the way. Prove it. Then, prove to me that decimating the global economy is the best way to "fight" it.
True. If it were about consensus, "scientists" would still be telling us the sun revolves around the Earth, because anyone who questioned it would be told to SHUT UP, which is what the climate yokels are doing right now.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
That's a great reason to do nothing about it. You know, because it’s natural. I guess we should stop researching cancer treatments. Or hell, let’s stop researching diseases/cures altogether because disease and cancer is as natural as it gets.

Great logic. The Earth has a condition, natural or not, that will cause great catastrophe to future life on Earth. But let’s just give up and keep the party rolling, because a group of stubborn people who refuse to listen to the people who spend their entire lives researching climate science, think humans are not the cause.
You have no idea. If you wanna go waste all your money on climate change research then go ahead! But stop forcing the rest of us to pay for it too!

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003

Seems like the fake MSM has gotten a hold of your brain to the point where you can't even think logically for yourself anymore. Please do some independent research that's not funded by big corporations and the government, etc.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, then why not call it global warming? If it's "going up," just say "it's warming."

This is all politics.

People don't really fight about "settled science," like gravity or the round Earth (except a few nitwits).

I mean, do you really think people who disagree with your climate narrative are "anti-science" or "science deniers"
I mean, literally if you deny that anthropogenic global warming is happening then you *are* a science denier. The science is clear and there is a scientific consensus. You ask why there is controversy about it still. The controversy you see is online and in the media, not in the scientific community. The very few scientists who dispute it are demonstrably linked to fossil fuel lobbyists and are disavowed by academic scientists. Even conservative meteorologists like Cliff Mass at UW do not deny anthropogenic global warming. There is a lot of money behind the denier movement, understandably so, and you are seeing the power of money at work to create a controversy where there really isn't one.

As for why 'climate change' is being used -- I don't know, scientists actually use "AGW" (anthropogenic global warming) most often in the scientific literature, but "climate change" was an effort to get people to understand that there would be wider effects than just "warming" (which sounds nice to some people). Sea level rise, changes in ocean circulation, changes in the jet stream and the polar vortex, etc., are all possible effects of average global temperatures rising. So climate change is a more catch-all term that was an effort to get people to understand the issue better. Predictably, the response has been dumb as a box of rocks.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Well, then I guess you don't have a problem with him inserting himself into foreign affairs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's not inserting himself into foreign affairs. That's Cook encouraging the US government to take climate change seriously as that long-term affects Apple.

Cook lobbying the government of China to take certain positions (privacy, climate change, human rights, etc) would be inserting himself into foreign affairs. Which is illegal.

• Haha
Reactions: pweicks

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006

This is all politics.

I mean, do you really think people who disagree with your climate narrative are "anti-science" or "science deniers" (by the way, a nice riff off "holocaust denier" to 1) be extra mean and 2) show maximum scorn and 3) to assign maximum shame)?

It's absurd.
[automerge]1575313735[/automerge]

If it's an existential crisis and there is "literally no time to waste" transfer to nuclear as much as possible. Right. Now. There is no time to waste, correct?

Because the science-illiterate are too dim to understand that a warming climate can mean specific areas get colder, and they then use that misunderstanding as evidence for their science denial.

"If it's global warming why is there still winter!?!?!?"

Reactions: Roy Biggins

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Just a publicity stunt by Cook to try to make Trump look bad and lose votes. We know that Tim hates Trump. And we know that anyone who is supposedly intelligent enough to be CEO of Apple could not possibly be dumb enough or so unaware as to really think that the Paris agreement is something more than a bag of crap.

Exactly. Totally agree with you on this one. People are still to blind to see what's really going on behind closed doors. Tim is obviously a far leftist supporting the globalist agenda. Same with Google. This is just all a stunt to make Trump look bad. The democrats are anti-america. What don't you guys understand? The truth is out there. Please do yourselves a favor and do some research for once instead of watching fake news broadcasts and radio stations. Instead seek independent media that is not bought and paid for by government, elites and big corporations.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
No, we have known the Earth was round since the ancient Greeks. Even in the darkest Dark Ages, educated people were aware that the Earth was round.

Anyway, science is about testing hypotheses via experiments. When hypotheses are rigorously tested by various experimental means and by different people all arriving at similar results, a consensus develops. This is why we accept certain theories as scientific 'fact', like gravity, the roundness of the Earth, and these facts:

1) greenhouse gases trap heat in the lower atmosphere (not the upper);
2) they have been reliably measured in tiny bubbles trapped in ice cores going back at least 800,000+ years;
3) modern measurements show CO2 increasing in the atmosphere for decades, now surpassing levels seen for 800,000+ years;
4) We would therefore expect average global temperatures to be rising, and indeed they are based on multiple kinds of measurements.
5) We would further expect that warming caused by greenhouse gases would be limited to the *lower* atmosphere, which is exactly what we see. The upper atmosphere has actually been cooling as more heat is trapped below. This was demonstrated in 1995, and provides very solid proof that orbital/solar changes are not causing rising temperatures, greenhouse gases are.

All of this has been demonstrated through repeated experimentation by the brightest scientists around the world for decades. There is no scientific controversy. The only controversy is about what specific effects will be, when, and where. That is too hard to say with any certainty, *though models are getting better.

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
Exactly. Totally agree with you on this one. People are still to blind to see what's really going on behind closed doors. Tim is obviously a far leftist supporting the globalist agenda. Same with Google. This is just all a stunt to make Trump look bad. The democrats are anti-america. What don't you guys understand? The truth is out there. Please do yourselves a favor and do some research for once instead of watching fake news broadcasts and radio stations. Instead seek independent media that is not bought and paid for by government, elites and big corporations.
Yeah it’s a total joke. Thank God we got someone like Trump in office now. It’s hilarious to see how tight of a leash he’s got tied around the left’s nutsack. He says “don’t jump” and they say “how high, Mr. President?” The media, the politicians, all of em. They’re just consumed.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
All of this has been demonstrated through repeated experimentation by the brightest scientists around the world for decades. There is no scientific controversy. The only controversy is about what specific effects will be, when, and where. That is too hard to say with any certainty.

Brightest Scientists around the world? LOL. More like Scientists that have been funded by the government to come up with fake studies and numbers so that they can justify their agenda to us. This is really simple, what this all comes down to is simply money. It's an excuse for us to pay more taxes so that these elites can get richer. Don't fall for this Climate Change a.k.a. Global Warming scam. Unless you like getting your money taken away.

This whole Climate Change nonsense used to be called Global Warming, since it didn't have the affect on people as they wanted, they decided to changethe name to Climate Change. With the new name, it fits their narrative better. Because now, whether the temperature increases or decreases, it's still literally a "Climate Change" issue. But with the name Global Warming as they once labeled it. It can only be effective if the temperature increases, which gives it a lesser chance of people being deceived since its not as effective as changing the name to Climate Change.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
This whole Climate Change nonsense used to be called Global Warming, since it didn't have the affect on people as they wanted, they decided to changethe name to Climate Change.
I love how you clearly didn't even read my post.

I also love how you think there is more money in the educational institutions where these scientists work than in the fossil fuel industry, which is paying for all the denial crap.

Some people just don't want to listen to the truth.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Tim only virtues when it is easy....and posters like the one I quoted will run here as fast as they can to defend him.

You can't have it both ways.

Virtue signal virtue signal virtue signal rah rah environment

(um...but what about the pollution of the country that manufactures your products?)

Can't engage a foreign govt, sorry. Not my job!

Virtue signal virtue signal virtue signal....

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
OMG. Are you big CEOs really buying into the fake man-made climate hysteria BS? Really? You're either dumb as rocks, or you stand to make a **** load of money by forcing energy production into industries you control (pretty sure it's the latter).

The progressive left started this nonsensical drivel in the 60's, and the deception has grown broader and wider than ever expected, but it's all fake. One of the first arguments was that mankind was ushering in a global Ice Age. Fake! Didn't happen. Then it was changed to "warming" which didn't happen, so now the new catch phrase is "climate change." I wonder what the next fake phrase will be when "climate change" falls flat.

According to the idiots like Al Gore, Miami was supposed to be under water 20 years ago, and all of Florida turned into a swamp. Manhattan was supposed to be like Venice, and all the coastal regions around the globe flooded. Guess what?! It didn't happen, and it's not happening. I know a whole bunch of you Yahoos have only been alive for about 2 decades, but this BS has been going on for over 50 years. You are being lied to.

The Paris Accord is nothing more than the fleecing of America. Mankind has no ability whatsoever to cause or stop any sort of climate change. The climate is always changing, it has been for billions of years, and it will always be so, and there is not a damn thing we can do about it in any direction.

Does mankind pollute? Heck yes. Is it good? No. Who is the world's biggest polluter? CHINA. Go fight that battle over there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.