Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Put them in a folder and move on. ?‍♂️ or buy a android phone. ?‍♂️
Typical apple response. but that's exactly what I am doing I am sick of the crappy walled garden tactics of apple. I like it here because MOST, but not all are not rabid fan&@*'s. You can have a discussion most times without the "But' it's apple it's the best" comments. The alternative sections in the forums here are great and active. I love all tech but I am not a blind follower. I am not one of those if apple does it it's the best and everything else is garbage and apple does no wrong types. Imore has 90% of those types. it's only 20% those types here fortunately. I have found a couple of them though. ;)

EDIT: why should I have to put them in a folder. Apple should offer them on the app store so I can clean out the garbage I don't want on MY phone. It's not their phone. It they gave it to me, sure. I would expect that. I paid 900 bucks for it and I should be able to remove any app besides the apple app store. I agree with that one should NOT be removable.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Can you elaborate on that one? I live in Canada and do not follow wireless companies in the states besides me buying T mobile sim cards when I visit.
AT&T was a breakthrough innovator…Lucent labs (albeit found to be monopolistic). The telco companies are none of that and the US does not lead the world in quality or price with cell service.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
AT&T was a breakthrough innovator…Lucent labs (albeit found to be monopolistic). The telco companies are none of that and the US does not lead the world in quality or price with cell service.
Ahhh. Gotcha. We have quality up here, but it comes at a great cost. Our 20gb shared plan is 220 bucks a month. And that's on an Employee plan from my wife who works in healthcare. The regular plan is 30 percent higher. We are getting gouged up here royally. At this point, I would gladly pay 200 bucks a month for unlimited highspeed useage as I would get a hub with a sim card and ditch my ISP all together then. But that will never happen here.

Reactions: manwithashoe

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Typical apple response. but that's exactly what I am doing I am sick of the crappy walled garden tactics of apple. I like it here because MOST, but not all are not rabid fan&@*'s. You can have a discussion most times without the "But' it's apple it's the best" comments. The alternative sections in the forums here are great and active. I love all tech but I am not a blind follower. I am not one of those if apple does it it's the best and everything else is garbage and apple does no wrong types. Imore has 90% of those types. it's only 20% those types here fortunately. I have found a couple of them though. ;)
Nothing typical about it, trying to change or fix something that isn't broken is stupid, if people are sick of the beautiful walled garden ???? then leave, android is over there. ??‍♂️

All these people complaining about apple walled garden, they ain't forcing you to stay.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Nothing typical about it, trying to change or fix something that isn't broken is stupid, if people are sick of the beautiful walled garden ???? then leave, android is over there. ??‍♂️

All these people complaining about apple walled garden, they ain't forcing you to stay.
Nope, they are not. Thats why I am gone. But it's only because of trivial things that apple could do, keep all their greedly little money they do desperately want and keep most defectors happy. Theming, removable of core apps (not the store), and open up iOS a little to other platforms like windows "your phone" and wearables. Not everyone uses a mac but has iOS devices. Not everyone wants a square fragile little watch, but most have iOS devices. If apple did these few little things, I would be staying. OH, and FIX THE FRIGGIN BUGS IN IOS.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Nope, they are not. Thats why I am gone. But it's only because of trivial things that apple could do, keep all their greedly little money they do desperately want and keep most defectors happy. Theming, removable of core apps (not the store), and open up iOS a little to other platforms like windows "your phone" and wearables. Not everyone uses a mac but has iOS devices. Not everyone wants a square fragile little watch, but most have iOS devices. If apple did these few little things, I would be staying. OH, and FIX THE FRIGGIN BUGS IN IOS.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
I think they need to add an option when purchasing devices. “Check this box to include/exclude all stock apps except the App Store” (which is always required). Upon completing Setup Assistant, all the stock apps would automatically be installed if requested during purchase, otherwise only the App Store would appear. If you are familiar with DEP enrollment, you know that the framework for this already exists.

They could also do a splash screen advertising the stock apps in the App Store like they did with the free iWork apps years ago.

Last edited:

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Apple already lets you delete pre-installed apps, except for the vital ones which actually make your phone work.
On the Mac side, neither the Stocks app nor the Voice Memos app nor the Home app nor the News app nor the TV app nor the FaceTime app nor the Messages app “make my computer work” (as far as I can see), yet mysteriously I cannot delete them.

• Love
Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
This is one of those things that I think humanity will never quite solve. One cannot deny the benefits of scale that helps massive corporations to innovate better. Also, one cannot deny government's inherent inefficiencies and corruption (corruption fueled by corporations most times). At the same time, corporations will exploit people out of greed and introduce massive entry barriers for new competition. And government can introduce laws and regulations for public good, to rein that greed in assuming we have elected educated, well-meaning, ethical people in the government. But the assumptions there rarely play out and policies usually end up have effects no one has thought of.

That said, I can't imagine Tim Cook would call Nancy Pelosi to issue a threat. Things are obviously a lot more subtly done. They surely meet up for lunches and dinners and all where a word could be had in "mutual interest".

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
He’s nervous and he should be. Customers choose Apple not because they’re like everyone else, and these laws under consideration take big steps to do just that.

Reactions: bill38

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

This video sums up this “go to android“ bs perfectly (by far).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Another clickbait so called expert youtuber flog 🤦‍♂️

Nothing is going to change, iPhone is staying just how it is. 😍 only one other option for people who don’t like it. 👉🚪
Sure, just dislike Any YouTuber. It’s fine.

I like to use apple products and I enjoy the overall experience. But I also support regulation limiting big tech companies so they won’t grow out of control and become much more powerful than government itself.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Don't worry. Amazon is in the game as well, and they will be hugely affected since the regulations will prohibit them from selling the Amazon basics products. This won't pass.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Wormald

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
London
Did anyone else scan the first half of the headline

Tim Cook Reportedly Called Nancy Pelosi and Other Members of Congress…​

and expect some unflattering remarks from a leaked discussion? ?

Reactions: Claudius2k

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Sure, just dislike Any YouTuber. It’s fine.

I like to use apple products and I enjoy the overall experience. But I also support regulation limiting big tech companies so they won’t grow out of control and become much more powerful than government itself.
Government should be an enabler not a disabler. I don’t support such legislation.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Not entirely true. I cannot delete the mail app, safari and a few others. I do not use either of them. My iPhone still works like it would. I would remove apple music as well....But I can't.
press and hold the app the select remove app - you can even remove the phone app but I guess it would be called an iPhone anymore :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.