Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
I unplugged my time machine and airport extreme for a few seconds, then plugged them back in. After that, everything went back to normal.

iseedarren

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
Hello All,

I had the same issue: OSX 10.10, unable to connect to networked drive.

I was able to connect to the Time Capsule HD by:
1) reset the time capsule with iPhone 6 using Airport Utility App.
2) Turn off Firewall in the Security & Privacy Utiliy.

Hope this helps.

----------

Side note: Turned firewall back on and connection still works.

deathdruid

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Cambridge, MA, USA
discoveryd

Make sure that discoveryd is not being blocked by your firewall. That was the issue in my case: there were a bunch of "Allow xxx to accept incoming network connections" prompts once I upgraded, and I must have mis-clicked No for one of those. Now I have the firewall back on, with signed apps allowed access, and everything is working just fine.

FYI, I have a Airport Extreme with an external USB drive.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Right then...

After using my iPhone to restart the TC, all seemed well.

However, today, I'm getting this error:

15wh0zt.png

Grrr.

[Edit] - The icon in Preferences has now changed to a blue icon with a wifi symbol on it, as opposed to the green icon it shows normally:

w3gqf.png

:confused:

Chris in DC

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
I've been having this problem (backup disk not found while using Wi-Fi time capsule) since I bought my first time capsule a few weeks ago, while I still had the Yosemite public beta, and it hasn't gone away. I also noticed that my wife's machine, still running Mavericks, wasn't having the problem. I called Apple support and they told me to get back to them after a week or so with the Yosemite public release, so they could see if the problem was widespread and come up with troubleshooting. Meantime, I'm going to see if my wife's computer, now running Yosemite, now has the problem. So far, I've been able to get it to work by turning Wi-Fi on my MBA on and off--seems to refresh the connection to the time capsule. The problem does seem widespread, so I hope Apple resolves it soon.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
This is a frustrating problem, indeed.

I have what I would term an "inconsistent" TM after Yosemite. It worked fine this morning; now it is locking and the fans are spinning at 6000 rpm to keep the beast cold.

Someone mentioned itimemachine (or something like that) that bypasses apples own timemachine. Anymore thoughts on that? Does it work flawlessly under Yosemite? Are there any drawbacks when not using apples own, like when restoring etc. My take was that it simply was a small program to execute apples TM with, not?

Morten

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Update:
- on my work, I use a NAS-disk for TM backups. There I have inconsistent experiences. It works - it halts/freezes.
- at home, I have a TC. Here I experience fall off in airport-utility. The internet connection is good (like right now), but AU will not recognize my TC.

I have rebooted everything.

I am pretty sure that we are talking about a complex problem here:
- there is a problem with the TC and the apple extremes.
- there is a problem with the time machine function it self.

Morten

colinjex

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Time Capsule not found in Yosemite

Add me to the list. Any attempt to access Time Capsule leads to blank black screen and all pop up toolbars etc. unavailable. I have tried switching off TM etc. and disabling firewall many times and am fed up with having to switch off iMAC. This is just the kind of 'upgrade' that I thought I had escaped from when I ditched PCs. Cannot return to Mavericks when TM does not work, but I would love to do so - far too risky I think.
Come on Apple fix this problem and quickly!

rhskarpinski

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Possible solution, at least for this user

Same problem as so many others. After new install of Yosemite on a MacBook Pro, I was able to connect to internet via wireless through TimeCapsule, but could not access TimeMachine; AirPort Utility showed internet, but no configured wi-fi devices.

After some mentions above of firewall settings, I turned off firewall in
System > Security&Privacy > Firewall. Turned Wi-Fi off and back on, and--voilà--the TimeCapsule was visible, and with a green dot.

I was able to turn the firewall back on after adding AirPort Utility to the list of FileSharing (AFP) apps. after that I continued to see TimeCapsule and was able to conduct a Time Machine backup as before the Yosemite installation.

Hope this helps.

--RK

Conch1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I tried turning my firewall off, and I still have the same result. Pic below. I'm considering a hard reset. Thankfully, I don't have any data or backups on the Time Capsule yet, as it's brand new. Any thoughts??
s9CcNLj.jpg

I can see my TC on my iPhone's Airport Utility, but once I click on it, all I get is this screen, and I can't go any further. I'm not sure what password they are looking for, b/c I haven't set it up to backup data yet.
RovLwEM.png

diggie85

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
Simple solution.

1. Open AirPort Utility.
2. Click on Time Capsule.
3. Click Edit.
4. Go to Disks.
5. Enable Share disks over WAN.

Thats it :)

Reactions: marcus n

Conch1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
1. Open AirPort Utility.
2. Click on Time Capsule.
3. Click Edit.
4. Go to Disks.
5. Enable Share disks over WAN.

Thats it :)

Wish it was that easy. As you can see I can't access my TC. Anyway, I called Apple Support today, and they walked me through it. Basically, you have to have set the Firewall to off. Restart the computer. If that doesn't work, what I had to do was do a hard reset on my TC, and set it up from scratch again.

Conch1

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Quick question, once my TC backs up my computer, can I delete files from my computer to clear up space, and they will still be saved on my TC? I know the TC updates itself, so I'm not sure if when updating if it saw a deleted file it would also delete it. Thanks for the help.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I don't think this will help anyone, but the only thing I did was to restart my TC using the Airport utility on my iPhone.

Once it had restarted, it was again visible in Finder and Time Machine seems to have been working perfectly ever since:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 06.30.03.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 06.30.03.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 229

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting this...

Airport%20problem.png

zMWifib

Does anyone see the problem here? I am PHYSICALLY connected to my airport. I can control the airport through airport utility. What I can not do is see the disk. My MacMini server seems to think I am talking to it through WiFi. WiFi that is not turned on, or even installed. I have restarted the Time Capsule, turned on and off my firewall, and turned on and off the ability to see the disk through a WAN. Nothing has helped yet.

BTW I shared the image through an image link from my DropBox account. Is there another way to do this?

Edit:Let's see if the imgur link under it works...

If you can't see the image it shows my System Preferences open to my Network connections. The ONLY connection that exists (at all) is Ethernet. AirPort utility is open to the Disk pane. You see the disk in time capsule showing up as connected with a giant WiFi symbol on the disk. This is what my MacMini running Yosemite sees....

Last edited:

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
- there is a problem with the TC and the apple extremes.

Probably not. Time Capsules work with 10.9, 10.8... If it was in the Time Capsule it most likely would not work with the older OS. Since what changed recently for everyone here is the OS (moving to Yosemite), the most likely issue is with Yosemite.

- there is a problem with the time machine function it self.

It would look like the problem is in Time Machine if the problem was in the operating system that Time Machine works on. I think we are seeing a bug in Yosemite. If you look at the picture in my post (above, if the pic ever shows up), you can see pretty conclusively this is an issue with Yosemite.

AndersM

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
I had the same issue where I couldn't see the TC in the Airport utility or connect to the drive in Finder.
I started the iphone app and after logging on to the TC with my wifi password I got a prompt saying I needed a firmware update. After the TC updated to 7.7.3 via the iphone app it seems to work as it should.

colinjex

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Time Machine crashes

I have done everything suggested on this site. Last night I erased the contents of TM and then did a completely new backup. Situation unaltered - Airport Utility shows Time Capsule with green dot, I can backup, but cannot access time machine to retrieve backups. No problems previous to 'upgrading' to Yosemite. This is undoubtedly a Yosemite problem. Come on Apple what are you doing about this?

Maddeen

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Hi,

same for me.

I just can access my AirPort TimeCapsule (late 2013 with 802.11ac) just one time -- after that i can not connect (network failure) or the whole TC disappeared! Only thing that helped is to reboot yosemite.
So i'm very sure problem caused by yosemite.

But the hind "check firewall" seems to make it right.

i'm only using LittleSnitch - after deactivating the network filter it seems to work.

But i don't know why - because there is no rule for deny any of the apple request. All set to allow!

Ideas?

Chris in DC

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
This seems to have fixed the problem for me (at least so far, for the past week): in Energy Saver preferences, turn OFF the wake-for-network-access and turn-off-disks-when-possible settings.

Try it and let us know if it worked for you?

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
This seems to have fixed the problem for me (at least so far, for the past week): in Energy Saver preferences, turn OFF the wake-for-network-access and turn-off-disks-when-possible settings.

Try it and let us know if it worked for you?

Nadda. Wouldn't really work as a solution anyway considering mine is a headless server.

Maddeen

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
after some try and error i think i got the "bad guy" for me.

But i'm not able to recordnize why?!?

It seems that it is the "apsd" service respect to "LittleSnitch"

If i leave the "allow any connections" rule deactivated - everything went fine.

If i activate the rule i can't connect to the TC ?!?

don't know why, because the rule is set to "allow any connections" ?!?

screen_capture.png

colinjex

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Some light on Time Machine problem with Yosemite

Hopefully this might help someone to work out what needs to be done to make Time Machine work with Yosemite.

I have tried all the suggestions from this website and others, e.g. switch off firewall, switch off everything, system rest, full backup, etc.. - makes no difference. Time Machine (TC ethernet connected) still able to backup but attempts to retrieve backup give black screen with no access to menus or toolbars or anything else. Interestingly though I can just copy files to the TC and then retrieve them using Finder. I.e. the problem appears to be with the TM/Yosemite software and is not hardware related. Come on Apple get this sorted soon. I would go back to Mavericks but because of following earlier advice my TM is fully backed up under Yosemite, so going back from TM is not likely to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.