Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billy11

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
I could access internet but not time capsule, nor was there any 'Shared' showing up in the Finder Side bar.

Yosemite had fire walled everything. Opened firewall made the right selections and now everything is working fine. This, of course, is after I reset Time Machine.

macamundo

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2014
I *THINK* I figured it out ...

for some reason after the update to Yosemite the network opened up on the "GUEST NETWORK" ... So, I went and changed that. I had also turned off the firewall during that change, and now I have it on again. I even see my airport extreme again. I didn't have to reconfigure anything. :apple:

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I'm having the same problem. I tried reseting the router, clearing out preferences and still nothing. It works about once or twice and then stops working again.

Apple have released 10.10.1 today so fingers crossed that this update fixes the issue when I get home tonight.

It is really quite concerning that I have no backups at the moment. I wouldn't want to lose anything. I may just backup to another drive until it is fixed.

Doga

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2003
Near Montréal, Canada
I'm glad I found this thread, and it's good (I guess,) to know it's not just happening to me.

It seems worse with 10.10.1. I thought it might have had something to do the Cisco VPN software I have to use to connect to my Windows machine at work, but obviously it's not.

Hoping Apple will fix this in the next Yosemite update, it's been driving me bonkers.

Sindroid

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2013
This problem still persists? Good grief, does Apple even know of this problem?

I went back to Mavericks after i could not take it anymore..

Apple, pull yer heads out of your arses and read the forums..

colinjex

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Time Capsule still unavailable.

Yes, I still have the problem of not being able to retrieve anything from my very expensive time capsule. Apple starting to behave just like Microsoft! :eek:

rrahimi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Similar but not-permanent issue for me.

After a certain period of not using Airport Time Capsule when I try to access the "Data" disk or the connected external hard drive Finder doesn't seem to be able to connect.

Then when I go to AirPort Utility either on OSX or iOS and select the Airport Time Capsule, initially it tells me that the device is not part of the network anymore which is incorrect as I am connected to Wifi via this device and even backups work fine. About 30-45 seconds later AirPort Utility "rediscovers" the device on the network, everything shows green inside the app and that is when I can connect and use both the Data drive on AirPort Time Capsule and the external hard drive connected to it.

Frustrating.

haginile

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
The problem does seem to lie with discoveryd. Every time this happens, I just go to Activity monitor and force quit discoveryd, and everything works fine afterwards..

lYa3spVda79kr13

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
RESOLVED (Kind of): So here's a quick one, simply turn OFF Wi-Fi on your MBP and turn it back ON and voilà! Try connecting, it should work.

I know its a band-aid fix, but still couldn't find a permanent fix... Hopefully Apple will fix in next updates.

I also use Parallels with Windows 8.1, and Ironically I can freaken access my Time Capsule drive from there while the Mac is unable too at the same moment!!

colinjex

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
Resolved

Yes, 10.10.2 has also resolved the issue for me.
I will be a bit more tardy about 'upgrading' next time!:rolleyes:

cjbardy

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
Unfortunately - I just started having this problem today. When I first upgraded to Yosemite, I could see my TC and the external drive backed up to it buying could not access my back-ups. Now, I cam back up, but I can't see or access my TC or my external HD, which houses my iPhoto library. The network is fine because I can see both items on my iMac, which is still on Mavericks. Any ideas?

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Unfortunately - I just started having this problem today. When I first upgraded to Yosemite, I could see my TC and the external drive backed up to it buying could not access my back-ups. Now, I cam back up, but I can't see or access my TC or my external HD, which houses my iPhoto library. The network is fine because I can see both items on my iMac, which is still on Mavericks. Any ideas?

A couple of things you could try. Use your iMac with Airport Utility (note the TC's IP address) to reset your Time Capsule with the other Mac running Yosemite, working and awake. Secondly you can try to connect to the TC using Finder/go/connect to server and put in the TC's IP address, if it cannot find it on the pull down list to the right of the entry field for address.

Wilson

cjbardy

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
Time Capsule & Yosemite - problem changes

Well,

I played around some more; turned wifi on and off, made sure both TC and computer were on same network and went into finder preferences. It found it! Unfortunately, it found it but could not connect because it could not find the original item. I restarted the macbook air and it is there!

Now, unfortunately, the blue light on my external Samsung drive does not light up when it is plugged into TC and I cannot find the external HD on my macbook. The external works just fine when I plug it directly into the macbook, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having my Macbook Air portable. Any ideas about that?

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
you might have the issue where the password, or device location is on a different network than the one you are currently on. maybe not but these problems with finding the time capsule on my machines required a reset of my settings.

So. You can reset your time capsule, and have it boot itself to an open network. then add it to the airport utility.

then make sure all of your disk passwords, and network passwords and bridge issues are checked and solid, at some point they will be saved to your keychain.

asopublic

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2008
Internet Icon in Airport Utility shows my Time Capsule, not my cable modem

Airport Utility works fine for my Mac Book Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPhone 6. I do have internet access on my Mac Pro, but no visible Time Capsule. If I click on the Internet icon in Airport Utility on my Mac Pro, the IP address is my Time Capsule, not my cable modem. On all my other devices, the Internet Icon shows my cable modem IP address.

If I go into finder, and Connect to Server with my Time Capsule, I can connect using the password for my network (it seems to ignore my username). I can then go into system settings and add the Time Capsule again for backups. It's still 'preparing for backup'.

I'm using a beta version of OS X 10.10.4

Gazza1961

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
Wifi disconnecting

Hi

I have a problem, where if i connect my hard drive which ti used for time machine, it disconnects my wifi. Disconnect the hard drive and my wifi connects again?

Gazza

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
hi

this post is not a solution to your exact problem but as a person who in the past has also encountered the same and similar problems as you have, i thought i would make this observation here:

in the past, i always would set up Time Capsule to be used with Accounts, so that each person's Time Capsule backups would have separate, individual accounts, each with his/her own password.

however, frequently i would encounter the same situation you have where eventually for some reason or other the account or disk with the account could not be found. i then would just start the whole thing over from the start again.

but i decided to try to do without account specific backups and went with just all accounts using the disk by using the same password as the disk itself. no separate accounts. just setting up each person with backups using the disk account password.

this solution has been flawless. and has been bullet proof. in spite of updating yosemite to later updates, in spite of long intervals without doing any backups due to several months away, in spite of anything, when computers connect to the network, the Time Capsule disk is flawlessly found backups are done.

this has been proven over and over during the past year or so.

although it isn't a solution to your problem and couldn't be a solution in places where only account specific passwords is required, it is the solution for any other situation. it works and works perfectly well. over wi-fi.

joseph_harladher

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2015
seattle wa usa
imaginary numbers / randomnessess of numeral strings
lead errors to appear in sequences that are real numbers
the corralative is a statistic that is false
the need for completenessess in code is the only soulution
or in other words redo or start from previous points of sound
this happens in humans a lot
good work if you can get it.

joseph_harladher

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2015
seattle wa usa
Time Capsule still unavailable.

Yes, I still have the problem of not being able to retrieve anything from my very expensive time capsule. Apple starting to behave just like Microsoft! :eek:
i agree the memory of the origin changed when jobs or a leader dies \ it is retrevable keep trying. some times its just the spacial feeld the earth is going through (magnetosphere)

marcus n

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2015
Simple solution.

1. Open AirPort Utility.
2. Click on Time Capsule.
3. Click Edit.
4. Go to Disks.
5. Enable Share disks over WAN.

Thats it :)

Great! Works for me!
But why before it worked without this setting??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.