Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Are we sure that the sport band included in the box has a titanium pin? I was looking at the pin for the dark grey band that came with the SBTi, and it looks absolutely identical to the normal black pin on the black band. Any proof of this anywhere?

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Are we sure that the sport band included in the box has a titanium pin? I was looking at the pin for the dark grey band that came with the SBTi, and it looks absolutely identical to the normal black pin on the black band. Any proof of this anywhere?

Does it really matter? The pin is on the back of your wrist. Not the most visible place for people to see.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The sport loop bands work great and can be washed.

The sport loops can be easily cleaned, however, they take awhile to ‘dry out.’ For me personally, I prefer the fluoroelastomer bands, strictly because they don’t absorb sweat, can easily be cleaned and fluoroelastomer is one of the most durable materials for a band material. At one point, I think I had 25 Plus sport bands, so many colors have expanded over the years. At endless with colors like the natural Ti and regular SS.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Here’s a pic I just took of my natural Ti in some strong lighting with the anchor gray sport loop. It almost looks like SS here. That’s one thing I love about it, it looks different all the time.

I got a flawless one with no blemishes out of the box. I got AC+ so I’m not going to baby it. I’m going to pick up the khaki sport loop soon.

727A3B0E-0FEA-4F2D-8917-6426525C406F.jpeg

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Here’s a pic I just took of my natural Ti in some strong lighting with the anchor gray sport loop. It almost looks like SS here. That’s one thing I love about it, it looks different all the time.

I got a flawless one with no blemishes out of the box. I got AC+ so I’m not going to baby it. I’m going to pick up the khaki sport loop soon.

View attachment 872677
Stunning. Any others in different lighting as mentioned?

jxfo

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2018
Sweden
Almost 5 weeks with the AW5 Ti now and still not a single scratch or mark on the watch. I've worn it to the gym several times a week as well as to industrial sites and similar places for work and haven't been babying it at all. Even dropped it a few times. Maybe I've been lucky but I wouldn't be too worried about scratches at this point. Haven't followed the thread closely, maybe you've all already come to that conclusion..

IMG_0472 (1).jpeg

I tried the new two-tone sport band for the first time today, kinda forgot that I ordered it along with the watch. It looks alright. It's really cool how the titanium can pick up warmer hues as well. Big fan of the finish! I hope they keep it for future generations.

Last edited:

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Almost 5 weeks with the AW5 Ti now and still not a single scratch or mark on the watch. I've worn it to the gym several times a week as well as to industrial sites and similar places for work and haven't been babying it at all. Even dropped it a few times. Maybe I've been lucky but I wouldn't be too worried about scratches at this point. Haven't followed the thread closely, maybe you've all already come to that conclusion..

View attachment 872712

I tried the new two-tone sport band for the first time today, kinda forgot that I ordered it along with the watch. It looks alright. It's really cool how the titanium can pick up warmer hues as well. Big fan of the finish! I hope they keep it for future generations.
Thank you for the update - this has sealed my mind and I’ll go buy the Ti today to replace my SBSS. I too, love the finish, the two-tone depending on light and the the band options. I’ve had the S3/S4 SBSS and I just don’t feel that I’ve upgraded - the Ti is appealing and feels like it’s on a whole new level.

Reactions: jxfo

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Have natural Ti. After having a SS ML, am trying the Khaki sport loop. It is strange. Part of the loop is grey. Part almost black. They do not seem to match when the loop is out on.

my biggest issue is compared to the SS ML, the band feels warm!

is all this to be expected?

Last edited:

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I find the sport loops very comfortable and wear them while performing more strenuous tasks around the house and yard especially, during warm weather. If they get sweaty you can rinse and dry them. One of my favorite bands.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Not a mark or scratch on my natural Ti after wearing daily for over a month. Scratchgate is definitely nonsense from my experience.

I change bands daily, have been to the gym, swimming, travelling, wearing the watch as normal and it still looks like new. Given my experience if you are still on the fence I really wouldn’t worry about Ti being more prone to damage than the other metals.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Well, I went to the store and purchased the Ti, it is stunning and I love how nice it looks but unfortunately it has two scratches on the speaker side right out of the box. This is the second out of the box scratch that I’ve had with the Ti. Now you can only see the scratches under certain lighting (bright/direct) hence this could have been missed on a QC inspection before shipping.

I am in two minds on what to do; whether to replace and try again:

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 3899F046-73BF-48C1-89C6-65E66149A6C5.jpeg
    3899F046-73BF-48C1-89C6-65E66149A6C5.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 073BA2A5-DDE1-47D0-A587-4691285FBE78.jpeg
    073BA2A5-DDE1-47D0-A587-4691285FBE78.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 5842B1AC-EF69-4BDA-824E-299F123AA5A3.jpeg
    5842B1AC-EF69-4BDA-824E-299F123AA5A3.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: James.K.Polk

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Well, I went to the store and purchased the Ti, it is stunning and I love how nice it looks but unfortunately it has two scratches on the speaker side right out of the box. This is the second out of the box scratch that I’ve had with the Ti. Now you can only see the scratches under certain lighting (bright/direct) hence this could have been missed on a QC inspection before shipping.

Thoughts?

try polishing it as others have said. Or give AppleCare a call, I’m sure their material engineers would like to see how these are scratching pre-sale.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008

Thoughts?

Just enjoy the watch as is. The scratches are relatively minor. What would you do if you got a “Perfect Watch” and then it got scratched by you? Would you keep returning. What would you do if your theoretically perfect watch scratched in week three, so returns were no longer an option? Life is too short. Enjoy the watch.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Just enjoy the watch as is. The scratches are relatively minor. What would you do if you got a “Perfect Watch” and then it got scratched by you? Would you keep returning. What would you do if your theoretically perfect watch scratched in week three, so returns were no longer an option? Life is too short. Enjoy the watch.
If I scratched it (and I probably will at some point) then I’d live with it and wouldn’t let it stop my enjoyment of the product. But to pay $1000 and have it scratched out of the box does kind of bother me. I wouldn’t accept a new car with a minor scratch but accept that I could end up scratching it or it becomes scratched during my ownership.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Thoughts?

Not acceptable, I won’t tolerate it. An $800.00 smart watch shouldn’t have scratches, Apple would never intend their products to be sold with damage. I get it, it’s a mass produced tech item in a Chinese factory, but when we’re paying for a premium product, we have to hold them to a higher standard. I’ve had this happen with other Apple products and they exchanged it with zero questions asked. The choice is yours, obviously.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Not acceptable, I won’t tolerate it. An $800.00 smart watch shouldn’t have scratches, Apple would never intend their products to be sold with damage. I get it, it’s a mass produced tech item in a Chinese factory, but when we’re paying for a premium product, we have to hold them to a higher standard. I’ve had this happen with other Apple products and they exchanged it with zero questions asked. The choice is yours, obviously.
I think I’ll go exchange it tomorrow. Had I have damaged it then fine, I’d live with it.
Also worried about just how easy it seems to scratch and debating whether I just keep my SBSS but man, I love the look of the Ti.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think I’ll go exchange tomorrow. Had I have damaged it then fine, I’d like with it.
Also worried about just how easy it seems to scratch and debating whether I just keep my SBSS but man, I love the look of the the Ti.

Tough call. I’d probably opt for the Black Ti personally. However, if find a natural Ti with no damage, that’s how it should be. Good luck.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Tough call. I’d probably opt for the Black Ti personally. However, if find a natural Ti with no damage, that’s how it should be. Good luck.
I think you’re actually right. I’ve thought about just opting for the SBTi but it looks so much like the Alu. What would make you opt for the SBTi and what do you currently have?

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I too thought of the SBti. However, I wanted to get away from the SBML, which I am in constant fear of it scratching things. Maybe I am too fearful?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.