Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Well, I went to the store and purchased the Ti, it is stunning and I love how nice it looks but unfortunately it has two scratches on the speaker side right out of the box. This is the second out of the box scratch that I’ve had with the Ti. Now you can only see the scratches under certain lighting (bright/direct) hence this could have been missed on a QC inspection before shipping.

I am in two minds on what to do; whether to replace and try again:

Thoughts?
Why don’t you take the watch out of the box while your still in the store? I set my devices up in the store to be sure all is well.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Why don’t you take the watch out of the box while your still in the store? I set my devices up in the store to be sure all is well.
I did and it was perfect. You can only see it under direct light hence I couldn’t see it in store which is ultra annoying for sure and means a trip back to the store in DC.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think you’re actually right. I’ve thought about just opting for the SBTi but it looks so much like the Alu. What would make you opt for the SBTi and what do you currently have?

The space black titanium is more of a ‘flat matte’ black. Realistically, I think the space black titanium has a lot of band pairing options, I was able to do that with my space black stainless with various blues/browns, link bracelets, etc. If you’re really worried about damage to the casing, I think the DLC watch would be the way to go. Plus, I think the space black Apple Watch in general is not really common to see in public, where you see more of the ‘silver’ colors.

@Relentless Power

Have you ever used a Sports Loop band?

I have not. I have use the the woven nylon bands in the past.

Reactions: louisitou

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
My 44mm natural titanium has arrived and it looks fantastic.
So glad I went with this model.
I’ll admit the side button has a bit of side to side wobble but I expect the manufacturing tolerance probably isn’t as tight as it is on the other models.

FWIW: I have the natural Ti and there is zero wobble in the side button.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I thought I scratched the natural Ti. Turned out to be the reflection of the weave from my new khaki sport loop. Very cool.

• Haha
Reactions: rMBP2013

thomasover

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2019
Some pictures of the natural Ti with leather and sport band. After reading the initial comments in this thread I was honestly expecting some scratches, but I have yet to find a single one over the 3 weeks I’ve had it for. I’m quite active and regularly bump into walls and doors so I’m convinced the Ti will hold up better than my old SS.

Btw, I think the Black Classic Leather Band by Monowear (silver aluminum version) goes really well with the natural Ti!

41C9F028-363C-49AF-B2F6-36C7A2486FA2.jpeg

DEB99BA4-D067-44AA-ABD8-734B56FBE6CC.jpeg

E47A4A84-A35A-46F8-87C0-DE4BC498DD1C.jpeg

4396CEF1-B769-4717-BB20-B4C82C8C2AED.jpeg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
So I exchanged the Ti for the SBTi and I absolutely love the Matt finish of it. It’s stunning and should be less prone to scratches. It’s just stunning. I love how the glass makes it look like one unified device.

Bolded: Outstanding point. The uniformity is very sleek.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Some pictures of the natural Ti with leather and sport band. After reading the initial comments in this thread I was honestly expecting some scratches, but I have yet to find a single one over the 3 weeks I’ve had it for. I’m quite active and regularly bump into walls and doors so I’m convinced the Ti will hold up better than my old SS.

Btw, I think the Black Classic Leather Band by Monowear (silver aluminum version) goes really well with the natural Ti!

View attachment 873224
View attachment 873225
View attachment 873226
View attachment 873227
Stunning. The Ti is truly stunning. I just couldn’t get the scratching off my mind - especially because mine came scratched out of the box. Funny, out of the box you couldn’t see any scratches, only in certain lighting conditions like under direct lighting. If you run your iPhone flash light over it, you’ll probably see light scratches and dings.
I do prefer the all one look piece the black offers so I’m now rocking the SBTi.
[automerge]1572362429[/automerge]
Bolded: Outstanding point. The uniformity is very sleek.
Thanks for all your help. I do love the seamless look. The SBTi is stunning too, granted from a far, it looks similar to Alu but I know the differences and I’m wearing it for me. Under certain lighting, it looks incredible. The SBSS just didn’t feel like an upgrade from my S4.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Stunning. The Ti is truly stunning. I just couldn’t get the scratching off my mind - especially because mine came scratched out of the box. Funny, out of the box you couldn’t see any scratches, only in certain lighting conditions like under direct lighting. If you run your iPhone flash light over it, you’ll probably see light scratches and dings.
I do prefer the all one look piece the black offers so I’m now rocking the SBTi.
[automerge]1572362429[/automerge]

Thanks for all your help. I do love the seamless look. The SBTi is stunning too, granted from a far, it looks similar to Alu but I know the differences and I’m wearing it for me. Under certain lighting, it looks incredible. The SBSS just didn’t feel like an upgrade from my S4.

I don’t quite understand the preoccupation with scratches. I would bet that all Apple watches, given enough time of being worn and the right band, will show some scratches, somewhere on the watch.

I have two alternate digital quartz watches. Both stainless steel and both with either mineral or sapphire crystal. Both have scratches.

Why can we accept the inevitability with traditional watches, yet we struggle with the same thing with Apple products? Why this rampant preoccupation with perpetual perfection when it is Apple?

All of this stresses us out. Maybe unnecessarily?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Scratches will stress you out until you decide in your head that you won't let them bother you because they will happen. Even some SBSS watches have scratches. I just accept my Ti will scratch and I carry AC+ if it gets too bad. I'm going to just enjoy it and not worry.

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
I don’t quite understand the preoccupation with scratches. I would bet that all Apple watches, given enough time of being worn and the right band, will show some scratches, somewhere on the watch.

I have two alternate digital quartz watches. Both stainless steel and both with either mineral or sapphire crystal. Both have scratches.

Why can we accept the inevitability with traditional watches, yet we struggle with the same thing with Apple products? Why this rampant preoccupation with perpetual perfection when it is Apple?

Excellent points, especially when you consider that Apple Watches aren't meant to last as long as mechanical watches, although mechanical watches aren't lifetime items despite industry marketing claims.

To answer your question, I think the reason is that this is mostly a different crowd than the mechanical watch crowd. People on these forums buying Apple watches are use to keeping their electronic devices in pristine condition. The vast majority of people buy cases for their phones.

I even see people wearing Apple Watches with cases, when have you seen a mechanical watch with a protective case on?

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Scratches will stress you out until you decide in your head that you won't let them bother you because they will happen. Even some SBSS watches have scratches. I just accept my Ti will scratch and I carry AC+ if it gets too bad. I'm going to just enjoy it and not worry.

Great response.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK

With anything; a new car; a new watch; a new phone or even a new jumper - you wouldn’t accept a brand new item with damage/scratches when brand new (unless there’s a nice discount added), so why should we accept tech products that cost so much with damage right out of the box. I’ve had 3 Ti’s which all had scratches out of the box - that’s unacceptable for any product let alone an Apple product which costs more then the average. Thus, that suggests to me that there’s an issue with QC, the coating or a wider issue with the Ti - given a few months and the scratches will be terrible and will make the device loose its appeal. Granted, if I scratch the device, the car Etc then yes, I will just live with items get on with it. I have a brand new X3, it arrived perfect but now has dings, would I have accepted delivery with those dings, no. Why should I at that price point but for a discount; sure why not. A user on here reported changes to the finish from their cotton shirts rubbing against the Ti, maybe some people got lucky but it does feel like there could be an early bad batch.

I love the look and finish of the Ti but after a few days With it I prefer the seamless look that the blacks offer so; I’ve gone for the SBTi and if it gets stretched then so be it but it is perfect out of the box which is all I ask for. Same with my iPhone, I don’t use a case or screen protector and accept that it will get scratches but I wouldn’t accepted scratches out of the box with paying £1500. My Omega watch is scratched and doesn’t bother me at all, however, I wouldn’t have accepted it out of the box with a scratch, why should I?

This scratch was literally out of the box and could only been seen under direct light, I didn’t notice it in the store but I was in the toilet, the light reflected on it and I noticed this:

Attachments

• 15641E41-C8C6-49D2-AA8F-AA5DD8AF20F0.jpeg
    15641E41-C8C6-49D2-AA8F-AA5DD8AF20F0.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 231

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Excellent points, especially when you consider that Apple Watches aren't meant to last as long as mechanical watches, although mechanical watches aren't lifetime items despite industry marketing claims.

To answer your question, I think the reason is that this is mostly a different crowd than the mechanical watch crowd. People on these forums buying Apple watches are use to keeping their electronic devices in pristine condition. The vast majority of people buy cases for their phones.

I even see people wearing Apple Watches with cases, when have you seen a mechanical watch with a protective case on?

Good points. I don’t think that any Apple device is pristine in perpetuity. If you look hard enough with the right tools and/or lighting, over time, every device will develop some type of imperfection somewhere.

What amuses me or even annoys me at times, is that many on these forums take on a “loco parentis” perspective regarding Apple. It is almost as if Apple comes to be the “bad parent” letting one down.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
With anything; a new car; a new watch; a new phone or even a new jumper - you wouldn’t accept a brand new item with damage/scratches when brand new (unless there’s a nice discount added), so why should we accept tech products that cost so much with damage right out of the box. I’ve had 3 Ti’s which all had scratches out of the box - that’s unacceptable for any product let alone an Apple product which costs more then the average. Thus, that suggests to me that there’s an issue with QC, the coating or a wider issue with the Ti - given a few months and the scratches will be terrible and will make the device loose its appeal. Granted, if I scratch the device, the car Etc then yes, I will just live with items get on with it. I have a brand new X3, it arrived perfect but now has dings, would I have accepted delivery with those dings, no. Why should I at that price point but for a discount; sure why not. A user on here reported changes to the finish from their cotton shirts rubbing against the Ti, maybe some people got lucky but it does feel like there could be an early bad batch.

I love the look and finish of the Ti but after a few days With it I prefer the seamless look that the blacks offer so; I’ve gone for the SBTi and if it gets stretched then so be it but it is perfect out of the box which is all I ask for. Same with my iPhone, I don’t use a case or screen protector and accept that it will get scratches but I wouldn’t accepted scratches out of the box with paying £1500. My Omega watch is scratched and doesn’t bother me at all, however, I wouldn’t have accepted it out of the box with a scratch, why should I?

This scratch was literally out of the box and could only been seen under direct light, I didn’t notice it in the store but I was in the toilet, the light reflected on it and I noticed this:

I can see validity to out of the box scratches. It has little to do with price in my opinion.

What I hear here, is people complaining that they have the watch for some period of days. weeks or months and now they see scratches and are outraged at Apple, as if Apple, the “bad parent” has let them down.

wileycoyote

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010

I would agree! At first I wasn’t a fan of the lighter tones the SBTi could take on under very direct bright sunlight, but even it looks nothing like an SG Aluminum model (I have one for sleep tracking). It takes on an almost liquid metal look kinda like mercury in direct lighting and a nice matte black under lower lighting. I love how they mainted the luster of the normal Ti on the SBTi, the finish is mind blowing.

jenicekk

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2017
My 44mm natural titanium has arrived and it looks fantastic.
So glad I went with this model.
I’ll admit the side button has a bit of side to side wobble but I expect the manufacturing tolerance probably isn’t as tight as it is on the other models.
Same wooble, loose power button on my natural titanium 44mm. Especially when I swipe the button. before I had aluminum and steel without a problem. Would the problem be only the titanium version?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.