Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
After just a year or you can just wait? Cuz I read in reddit, some would rather have a new design on its first year, while it is fresh.

Bout you guys?

• Haha
Reactions: shurcooL and 153957

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Can't say yes or no but I did keep my iPhone X for almost 6 yrs before I decided to get the 15PM so it would have to offer something completely different than the 15PM to convince me. If it just an incremental update (6.7 is big enough for me) I'll be sticking with the 15PM

Reactions: Patcell and ipaqrat

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I’ve tended to upgrade every other year. Sometimes every year.

I don’t think I’d want a larger phone. Moved to the max for the first time this year and it’s not bad. But even larger doesn’t appeal to me

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
After just a year or you can just wait? Cuz I read in reddit, some would rather have a new design on its first year, while it is fresh.

Bout you guys?
A bigger phone that exceeds $1199 like a Pixel Fold?

No thank you. I prefer taller 21:9 iPhone.

Think of it like how Apple maintained the width of the iPhone 4s but made the iPhone 5 taller. Making the screen aspect ratio into 19.5:9.

iPhone Pro Max & latest Plus are about 160mm tall. Tallest non-folding Android phones are 180-185mm.

iPhone 13 Pro MaxiPhone 14 Pro MaxiPhone 15 Pro Max
21:9 Height187mm185mm183mm
19.5:9 Actual Height160.8mm160.7mm159.9mm
Width78.1mm77.6mm76.7mm

If Apple wants to hide the Dynamic Island while viewing 21:9 aspect ratio content they could make it taller by additional ~10mm to nearly 200mm.

This change of aspect ratio may be reserved for the iPhone Fold/Flip.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Saturn1217

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
I have zero issues with a larger phone. If they add extra battery life make it bigger.
That's the #1 reason why I stick to Pro Max.

Keep it ~77mm wide and increase it from ~160mm to 190-200mm tall.

I do not mind it increasing from ~250g to ~325g.

Reactions: hieubui

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I really like the size of my 15 Pro Max. I find it the perfect size, so Im a bit bummed that the new Pro Max will increase to 6.9in screen size.

Normally my first instinct is that I have the perfect phone right now and im going to keep it forever since its the last 6.7in iPhone

However, upon further recollection ive come to this resolution:
  1. Apple will never downgrade to a smaller pro max once it goes to 6.9
  2. I will eventually have to upgrade to a new phone
  3. Ill never go back to a smaller iPhone even if its 6.3in
So basically, I'll just have to get used to it and move on to the larger iPhone. Not to mention, I previously thought the XS Max was the perfect size (I still think it was so comfortable and so easy to one hand), and now the 15 Pro Max is gunning for the crown of the perfect size.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
I’m interested to see what becomes of the next SE. You get the feeling the current SE is on its last year, with the Touch ID button style, so maybe the SE will arrive being the option for both mini and SE style phone. Could finally be the affordable modern iPhone suitable for most people. Because every time I go in store to check out the new iPhone (as 11 Pro owner) I never see anything that compels me to want to upgrade. Sure, I bet there would be some nice camera improvements, but by and large, an iPhone is an iPhone. They’re so good these days for me personally it only makes sense to upgrade once the old one is dead, lost, or unusable.

wabisabizo

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2021
If rumors are true, regular iPhone 17 series will have 120Hz, I'm holding my breath till then

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Nope. Not seeing anything that it will have over the 15 except another button the rest are expected yearly updates. I doubt we see a new design.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

Bout you guys?
I have never bought for "new design." And, a new phone is not about "while it is fresh" like some new style.

Personally I buy for improved performance. Once the decision has been made to buy the improved performance of some new phone it makes most sense to buy it ASAP to avoid wasting time not having access to the improvements. The last 3-4 generations were clearly worthy of annual upgrading to me; before that it was ~ every 2 years.

Edit: No decision making until after we have a solid idea of what the new phones' expected performance will be.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithBN

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
with all the reported issues that the iPhone 15 has had so far, I bailed on purchasing one this year. If the iPhone 16 ends up ‘just’ being a 15s with all the most glaring problems fixed.... I’ll get it, new design or not.
Said "all the reported issues that the iPhone 15 has had so far" have been clickbait trolling. The 15 Pro Max simply rocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.