Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
I dont mind bigger size but I will not buy it because this will be propably the same phone in a new box. Phones evolve so slowly that imo it is pointless to upgrade more often than every 3-4 years

Reactions: Aggamemnon

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I have to say, going from a 6.7" to 6.9" display and not adding a more productive experience utilizing the larger display is another big miss. It's ridiculous that Apple hasn't added specific UI and multitasking features on the Pro Max model much the way Samsung does with the S23 Ultra. Absolutely zero reasons Apple couldn't have already added split screen at the very least. And a 6.9" display next year makes Apple's failure at bringing this feature even more apparent.

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
I have to say, going from a 6.7" to 6.9" display and not adding a more productive experience utilizing the larger display is another big miss. It's ridiculous that Apple hasn't added specific UI and multitasking features on the Pro Max model much the way Samsung does with the S23 Ultra. Absolutely zero reasons Apple couldn't have already added split screen at the very least. And a 6.9" display next year makes Apple's failure at bringing this feature even more apparent.
I think they will add multitasking but only for this new 6.9 model because that’s their way of marketing

Reactions: GuruZac

Hatshepsut

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
I'm a bit of a sucker for apple's marketing hype (they must love me:), but I'm certainly planning on skipping next year after upgrading from a regular 14 to a 15pro this year unless they really do something revolutionary with the cameras.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
No. There's no "need" to do so. We plan on getting 15s next month and we'll have them for ~4 years. Rule of thumb, never buy the first or last batch of a new design. The first has production bugs, the last has I-don't-care-it's-going-away syndrome. Why we're waiting til Black Friday to get phones and why if the 16 is radically different, we'd not be buying them if we were upgrading next year instead of this.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
with all the reported issues that the iPhone 15 has had so far, I bailed on purchasing one this year. If the iPhone 16 ends up ‘just’ being a 15s with all the most glaring problems fixed.... I’ll get it, new design or not.
I think that stuff is overblown. My 15 Pro is working beautifully. And the only glitches I've come across (camera app crash, a couple cosmetic rough edges) are iOS related. People who have a problem are VERY vocal about it, and in the internet echo chamber things get blown out of proportion.

Reactions: dotzero123

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
No I buy once every number of years. Went 4.5 this time. With my 15 Pro at 512gb, I’m hoping this one lasts twice as long.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
After just a year or you can just wait? Cuz I read in reddit, some would rather have a new design on its first year, while it is fresh.

Bout you guys?
I have common sense, so no, I won’t upgrade for a least 3-4 years, I went from an X to the 15 pro max so I don’t mind waiting, phones really aren’t worth upgrading regularly anymore

glenncashuric

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2019
When my battery goes below 85% (three years), I usually do a new phone. If it's a device I REALLY enjoy using (like my 13 Mini), I may try to stretch it out with a replacement battery. Regardless of what Apple says, these yearly updates are mostly iterative. My aging eyes may require a 17 Pro Max/Ultra by then.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I upgrade every year...but I am curious - what do people constitute as a "new design"? The pattern seems real obvious, 3 years of major body shape designs, without much deviation since
4 -> 4s -> 5 -> 5s flat edges, home button
6 -> 6s -> 7 -> (8, though it overlaps with the X) all rounded edge, home button designs
X -> Xs -> 11 Pro are all basically the exact same rounded chasis, the main difference being the camera bump.
12 Pro -> 13 Pro -> 14 Pro all square edge designs, flat edges, shiny sides
15 Pro -> Rounded edges, brushed sides, new material, slimmer size, much lighter weight

To me it seems we just hit a new "design cycle" for the iPhone, so next year is unlikely to be much different. The 15 Pro is the best iPhone I've used since my 11 Pro, the size increase of the 12 plus flat edges made it just worse overall. Titanium's weight reduction, plus the edge rounding and getting rid of the "shiny" edges makes this the best feeling iPhone in years.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Went 4.5 this time. With my 15 Pro at 512gb, I’m hoping this one lasts twice as long.

Apple sees to it that safari won’t be too functional in about 5 years time. Web pages won’t load correctly or at all. Pages will crash. Switching to a different browser doesn’t help. They all run on WebKit.
Some apps REQUIRE you to update them regularly to work. If you don’t, they will stop working. These ******* apps (and there’s lots of them) follow the iOS upgrade schedule. Get too far behind and you can’t use them.
At some point (in about 5 years) your fancy new iPhone 15 will no longer be allowed to upgrade the OS cuz it’s “too old” then it’s just a matter of time until stuff stops working correctly.

9 years on an iPhone is tough. It can be done (I’m doing it) but a lot of stuff won’t work like it did.

Reactions: LionTeeth

LionTeeth

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2022
Apple sees to it that safari won’t be too functional in about 5 years time. Web pages won’t load correctly or at all. Pages will crash. Switching to a different browser doesn’t help. They all run on WebKit.
Some apps REQUIRE you to update them regularly to work. If you don’t, they will stop working. These ******* apps (and there’s lots of them) follow the iOS upgrade schedule. Get too far behind and you can’t use them.
At some point (in about 5 years) your fancy new iPhone 15 will no longer be allowed to upgrade the OS cuz it’s “too old” then it’s just a matter of time until stuff stops working correctly.

9 years on an iPhone is tough. It can be done (I’m doing it) but a lot of stuff won’t work like it did.
Honestly I noticed my XS Max was having trouble with webpages. Things not loading, taking forever etc. maybe it was the lower ram? And when it was launched that A12 was touted as super fast so I don’t get what the problem was.

The internet on this phone of course is instantly and stunningly fast. Hate to say but you’re probably right.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
I went from Pro Max's to the 15 Pro... Loving it. Finally USB C so...

1d6a52384f7fcc053cff0410de261b4e.jpg

Reactions: dotzero123

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
After just a year or you can just wait? Cuz I read in reddit, some would rather have a new design on its first year, while it is fresh.

Bout you guys?
Hmmm…

I will see when the 16 lands if I feel like I want it.

I am very happy with my 15 Pro Max right now and it’s hardware is pretty futureproof:
  • 8GB RAM,
  • 3nm SoC with AAA game support and HW Ray tracing,
  • high speed USB-C,
  • 5x optical zoom,
  • Camera HW pre-setup for Spatial Video for Vision Pro etc…
  • New U2 Ultra Wideband chip (the U1 came out years ago with iPhone 11)
Apple brought in a lot of under the hood HW upgrades with the 15 Pro Max.
I would be interested to see how much more Apple will bring in the 16 outside of a slightly updated design when the 15 already brought new materials and design updates, lol.

Somethings I can see the 16 bringing is an even brighter display that goes up to 2400 nits, possibly slightly bigger screen but same look of 15 (Titanium + “dull colour” range), hopefully a bigger battery with that bigger screen and a A18 Pro based on N3E which may bring slight improvements to overall performance and efficiency.

Now where we may see a huge change is Camera, I hope we do see a huge jump here.

Last edited:

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I may have already written this.
I’d be happy for even more screen acreage, BUT, if it’s as poorly designed as the 15 series I won’t touch it.
In general I’ve always been of the minset that most problems are operator error. But my faith in Apple has been wearing thin the last few years. The 15 series is making me rethink getting any new iPhone until they can make one that works well and no rounded edges and definitely no titanium.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No. There's no "need" to do so. We plan on getting 15s next month and we'll have them for ~4 years. Rule of thumb, never buy the first or last batch of a new design. The first has production bugs, the last has I-don't-care-it's-going-away syndrome. Why we're waiting til Black Friday to get phones and why if the 16 is radically different, we'd not be buying them if we were upgrading next year instead of this.

Ironically, it's often the middle build batches that have problems. Production ramp for iPhone 12 started in August 2020. If you've witnessed assembly, you'll realize production is scrutinized heavily before ramp is given the green light. In the middle is where assembly gets free reign. Problems are finally caught and guardrails reinstated.

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Ironically, it's often the middle build batches that have problems. Production ramp for iPhone 12 started in August 2020. If you've witnessed assembly, you'll realize production is scrutinized heavily before ramp is given the green light. In the middle is where assembly gets free reign. Problems are finally caught and guardrails reinstated.

I've been in production. Ramp is all well and good but until you're producing a product at volume, you can't realize the underlying issues. That's why you'll see the release batch of iPhones have QC issues. The second batch comes out around Black Friday and usually has the QC bugs cleared out by then and comes with iOS .1 already installed. I don't know how many more batches there usually are but I'd wager at least 2 more before the model is discontinued, so yeah I'd be watching for what you said around the middle of January and I wouldn't buy phones after Black Friday.

sparkinstx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not crazy about them getting bigger. I've gone from the 5, to the 6, to the X, to the 12 Pro, to the 15 Pro. So I've never been interested in the big devices like the 15 Pro Max. I tried a WeatherTech Cup Phone a couple of years ago with my 12 Pro, and I returned it because the 12 Pro with an Otterbox Defender case wouldn't fit in it (and it was a PITA to return the cup phone, even through Amazon).

I upgrade basically every three years now, so my next one would be an 18, unless some game changing feature comes along, then it would still be two years.

Mikep976

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
Washington
15 Pro Max will be my last upgrade until:

1. Apple rolls out a folding phone that is similar to Z Fold / Pixel Fold / OnePlus Open with iPhone + iPad Mini style form factor.

2. I lose hope that 1 happens in the near future and I switch over to Android and keep all other Apple stuff in place

Really, the only thing I’m wanting is a folding phone. It fits into my lifestyle so much better than phone + tablet, and it’s really the only thing driving me to android. If I switch, I’ll be back the second they release a folding iPhone, and I’ll keep all other ecosystem stuff in place while gone (iMessage via BlueBubbles, Apple Watch with wifi hotspot from phone, iPad Pro and Work Mac, etc). It’s really just about voting with my wallet. I want a folding phone, and I’ll switch to whoever offers it best until Apple does.

ISignedUpToAskThis

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2022
I bought my 15 Pro with the intention of keeping it 2-3 years (I usually upgrade every year), mainly due to USB-C.

If there's a noticeable design change then there's a strong chance I'll upgrade again and hopefully keep the 16 for a few years instead.

Only thing that would stop me is if the 16 Pro weight is increased noticeably (back to 14 Pro levels).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.