Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteelBlueTJ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
USA
Anyone else have trouble with the Touch ID on the new Magic Keyboard w/ Touch ID? I can only get it to unlock my M1 Mac Mini maybe 30% of the time anymore. I rest finger on the key and nothing. I press the key and nothing. I still have to enter my password to unlock my Mac or I have to switch the keyboard off then on again to get it to work. I noticed it happening more since I upgraded to Monterey. Curious if anyone else has a similar issue?

macinla

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have the same issue. Have to reach over and use the Touch ID on the MacBook instead of the external keyboard. I never had anything other than Monterey on this laptop so can't comment on older OS. This is on a M1Max MacBook Pro 14" with the external Touch ID keyboard.

rweingar

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
Try keeping a cable connected from the Magic Keyboard to your Mac Mini. Touch ID then works flawlessly. If I use only Bluetooth to connect to my Mac Mini, Touch ID might work 3 or 4 times in succession, then fails to work. At this point, in addition to resting your finger on the Touch ID sensor, you also need to press it. It will then work maybe 2 more times, then that will fail and you will be required to enter your password every time. To reset Touch ID, turn the Magic Keyboard off and back on again or re-login or reboot. I don't know if this is a Mac Mini Bluietooth issue or a problem with the Magic Keyboard.

Reactions: Rgeorge

emerrill

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2005
I'm having the same problem with my 16" M1 Max MBP. I have found that it will sometimes stop working even when connected via USB. What's interesting is that the computer doesn't even seem to recognize that there is a touch id sensor when in this state - if I go into clamshell mode, nothing will even attempt to trigger touch ID, it will go strait to password or apple watch.

I also sometimes get into a state where they keyboard won't work, or won't work properly, over bluetooth. Like the caps lock key light won't illuminate, but I can type (although sometimes I can't even do that).

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Same issue here with my 16" M1 Pro - I never had the problem with my M1 MacBook Air, so I guess its something with the new machine which hopefully will get fixed.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
I use the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID connected via Bluetooth to an M1 MBA in clamshell mode and it works most of the time but it does stop working occasionally, at which only a reboot fixes (power cycling keyboard doesn't).

Next time, I will try unpairing-repairing in case it might be a BT thing.

BoboBobo2

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
I have a MBA and have similar issues. If I connect via USB briefly it will fix it for a few hours. Came here just now looking for an answer, and it seems like we're all in the same boat. If I need to use it wired, I'd just as soon use a different keyboard. Touch ID is why I bought this thing.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
I use the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID connected via Bluetooth to an M1 MBA in clamshell mode and it works most of the time but it does stop working occasionally, at which only a reboot fixes (power cycling keyboard doesn't).

Next time, I will try unpairing-repairing in case it might be a BT thing.

Well, power cycling the keyboard actually does work (I just wasn't waiting long enough previously for the BT pairing to re-establish itself)

BoboBobo2

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2019
It seems that power cycling the keyboard fixes it temporarily for me as well! I'd rather have it work all the time, but at least it's easier than finding the cable every time.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Another peculiar piece to this: I've realized that when TID is not responsive, pressing the button allows it to work (but doesn't allow just touching to work after that - continued button pressing is needed until a power cylce)

berno

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2005
Northwest UK
Another peculiar piece to this: I've realized that when TID is not responsive, pressing the button allows it to work (but doesn't allow just touching to work after that - continued button pressing is needed until a power cylce)
Yes, I'm noticing the same problem with my M1 MBA in clamshell mode too.

michaeljt1949

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2021
I have the exact same issue with the Magic Keyboard and M1 iMac. It's driving me crazy!
I have had the same problem since I installed Monterey on my M1 iMac, but probably not immediately afterwards (I'm not sure). When I have the problem, the Caps Lock LED stops working, though Caps Lock itself does work. I fix it by plugging in the USB cable, and it continues to work when I disconnect it.

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Same issue with 16" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro). It's bloody annoying. I'd say it works about 50/50. I keep my MBP mostly in clamshell. I might try it non-clamshell to see if that helps.

michaeljt1949

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2021
I had an occasional problem with TouchID on my M1 iMac when using the Magic Keyboard with Bluetooth. When the problem occurred, the Caps Lock LED stopped working, though Caps Lock could be activated. The problem could be fixed by connecting the keyboard to USB, disconnecting it from Bluetooth. After disconnecting the USB, the problem had gone away.

I had the problem while running macOS Monterey 12.1, but it went away when I upgraded to 12.2.

michaeljt1949

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2021
I have had the same problem since I installed Monterey on my M1 iMac, but probably not immediately afterwards (I'm not sure). When I have the problem, the Caps Lock LED stops working, though Caps Lock itself does work. I fix it by plugging in the USB cable, and it continues to work when I disconnect it.
I meant to say after installing Monterey 12.1. I didn't have the problem with 12.0.1, and it went away after I upgraded to 12.2.

gfiastre

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
Argh, I finally bought a MBP 14" and a magic keyboard (the brand new black ones). And I have the same issue: everything works when plugged, and when I unplug, keyboard fine until I start using TouchID. After 2-3 attempts, the whole keyboard stops working. I have to turn it off, plug it, turn it on.
I went to the apple store with the keyboard thinking it was faulty. We tested on an iMac: it just worked fine!. So the issue lies with the MBP (hardware or software). I hope it's software and can be solved by Apple... The assistance on the phone had no clue.

chazoak

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2021
Similar issue for me, with a twist.
- MBP 14" is in clamshell mode
- TouchID keyboard works rarely (10%) when I'm trying to unlock the MBP
- But TouchID keyboard tends to work much better (90%) for websites/passwords, once the Mac is unlocked

This may be an issue with initiating connectivity between TouchID and Mac just when unlocking (?)

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
Using my magic keyboard with touch ID to unlock my Mac studio and Studio monitor fails each and every time. I also have it set up where I can unlock my Mac studio with my Apple Watch and that two fails and I have to enter my passcode each and every time. It does work using my Apple Watch/Touch ID to purchase and use my online banking apps, etc. I've also tried connecting and unconnecting my magic keyboard to the studio Mac without success.

mcscot

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Using my magic keyboard with touch ID to unlock my Mac studio and Studio monitor fails each and every time. I also have it set up where I can unlock my Mac studio with my Apple Watch and that two fails and I have to enter my passcode each and every time. It does work using my Apple Watch/Touch ID to purchase and use my online banking apps, etc. I've also tried connecting and unconnecting my magic keyboard to the studio Mac without success.
Hi, out of interest did you ever get this resolved ? I have a Mac Studio and have the same problem. I'm stunned that Apple would release a product that doesn't work so wondering if it is a hardware issue ?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I've been using the TouchID keyboard without issue for about 6-7 months now... the ONLY time I have issues is right after I've washed my hands... I guess the moisture is interfering with the sensor... but a quick rub of my fingers on my jeans, and all is good again.

Reactions: Gudi

mcscot

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
Thanks. After removing from my Bluetooth devices and connecting initially by a cable it seems to be a lot more stable now (I had tried this some time ago but it didn't fix it). I've also discovered that if you press the button that can cause issues (feels like it is waiting for another action to complete on the keyboard).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.