Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Once again I sit down at my desk, when Touch ID would normally fail on me, and it works perfectly. I don't know what Apple did but I'm feeling confident that it's fixed.

My only guess is that it was a result of one of these background updates: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207005

Under "System Data Files" they list these as some things that can update in the background without the device rebooting:
  • Improved discovery of Bluetooth devices and communication with them
  • Firmware updates for built-in trackpads and external trackpads, mice, keyboards, and displays
Since it seems like the firmware version didn't change, I am guessing that some sort of Bluetooth update was released silently. Dunno!

Reactions: macman5 and Pug72

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Well it's been over a week now and my Touch ID has worked perfectly every single time I've gone to use it. At least for me I can say this problem is solved. Hopefully it never comes back. Glad they finally fixed it, even if done very secretly.

gool54

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
I don't think is hardware, because mine fail after a certain time not using it but if i delete the old finger print and set a new one on the mac it works just fine, but eventually will fail after a period of time it's like it deregister it self

slyfox279

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2023
I don't think is hardware, because mine fail after a certain time not using it but if i delete the old finger print and set a new one on the mac it works just fine, but eventually will fail after a period of time it's like it deregister it self
yeah definitely wasn't as last update fixed it. been 2 weeks now I think with no issue. I can even turn them off over night and they work.

Reactions: MakaniKai

gool54

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
I've had zero failures since my last post. Two months now. What a relief
Mine deregister after a week of using
edit :
Came from outside my hand was cold it didnt work just afterwards worked well ?
do we need now to register finger print with the finger print expend from the cold ? lol

Last edited:

gool54

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
Latest Sonoma made Touchid mini keyborad even worse slow to login after sleep and just stopped working, i dont know if it has something to do but SIP in my macmini is disabled

Reactions: toniepadius

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Monterey 12.7 here. Didn't have much problem when I kept the keyboard plugged in all the time. Bluetooth Touch ID seems to be a problem. If after a restart of the computer, the keyboard Touch ID doesn't seem to be working, the common tip here of turning on and off the keyboard seems to help.

I had fewer issues Touch ID issues on Monterey 12.6.3 than after the upgrade to 12.7 and 12.7.1. macOS requires so many authentication dialogues these days that Touch ID is almost compulsory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.