Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
I just used it again after about two hours and works. Can't just be a coincidence?
I hope it keeps working for you. I just tried to unlock my MacBook using the touch ID on my Magic Keyboard -- no luck. Does nothing at all. It types just fine though. Once logged in, I tried to unlock my password manager with touch ID, again nothing at all. Turning the keyboard off and back on makes it work.

I'm on macOS Sonoma Beta 5 (23A5312d)

I have reported the bug using the Feedback Assistant. Hopefully someone at Apple sees it. I gave a link to this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pug72

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
So strange how it worked great for nearly a whole day.....
I just wish I bought the keyboard through Amazon instead of Best Buy, I'd still be able to return it right now. Oh well, I will just have to pester Apple to fix this bug! Once the official release of Sonoma is out, if the problem still remains, I am going to take my keyboard to the Apple Store to see if I can get a replacement.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
If everyone could please report the issue with the Feedback Assistant, it will get this on their radar much quicker. Right now it shows that less than 10 recent similar reports were filed. We can do better than that!

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 3.19.04 PM.png

Reactions: pfutura

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
It has been fed back to Apple many times, but it has not been resolved, and it seems that it has not attracted Apple's attention.

• Sad
Reactions: MakaniKai

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I was on a call a few months back with Apple over this. They eventually connected me with someone who was technically proficient and they said that Apple is aware of this issue as it has been happening more frequently.
He said that there was little point in me returning my new keyboard as it likely wasn't a hardware issue, and assured me that if my keyboard went out of warranty and it did end up being a hardware issue, they'd replace mine.

He took me through troubleshooting steps, which involved restarting the computer and forgetting my keyboard among other things. This worked until my device went into sleep mode—something he warned me about.

The good news: he advised that keeping my keyboard plugged in should prevent issues until an actual fix is in. I can confirm hardwiring works in my case.

It's my believe that this is definitely a software/bluetooth issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsiu

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
I was on a call a few months back with Apple over this. They eventually connected me with someone who was technically proficient and they said that Apple is aware of this issue as it has been happening more frequently.
He said that there was little point in me returning my new keyboard as it likely wasn't a hardware issue, and assured me that if my keyboard went out of warranty and it did end up being a hardware issue, they'd replace mine.

He took me through troubleshooting steps, which involved restarting the computer and forgetting my keyboard among other things. This worked until my device went into sleep mode—something he warned me about.

The good news: he advised that keeping my keyboard plugged in should prevent issues until an actual fix is in. I can confirm hardwiring works in my case.

It's my believe that this is definitely a software/bluetooth issue.
That’s great info! Thank you for sharing and digging into it

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
Anyone else have trouble with the Touch ID on the new Magic Keyboard w/ Touch ID? I can only get it to unlock my M1 Mac Mini maybe 30% of the time anymore. I rest finger on the key and nothing. I press the key and nothing. I still have to enter my password to unlock my Mac or I have to switch the keyboard off then on again to get it to work. I noticed it happening more since I upgraded to Monterey. Curious if anyone else has a similar issue?
Is this still a prevalent issue? I was thinking about splurging for one of these new keyboards but if Touch ID is still flaky there is no way...what's the consensus?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Is this still a prevalent issue? I was thinking about splurging for one of these new keyboards but if Touch ID is still flaky there is no way...what's the consensus?
Todays the first time I’ve seen the thread, and I’ve never had the slightest problem with Touch ID on my Mac mini (using if for over a year).

That said, my mini is perhaps 12” behind the keyboard - and I have no USB 3 devices (which can create interference in the Bluetooth frequencies).

If I were to get a Touch ID keyboard for my other Mini - which is a couple feet away from the keyboard, under a table, with lots of USB3 nearby - I’d just leave it plugged in so that wouldn’t be a problem. Right now it’s using a USB Apple keyboard.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
My MBP is right next to my keyboard. I have no USB 3 devices. It just straight up doesn’t work 90% of the time. The keyboard types just fine, I don’t think it’s an interference issue; Touch ID just completely goes dead on it after the computer sleeps. Plugging it in does fix it but that’s so dumb

Reactions: Pug72

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
The issue is that the keyboard Touch ID cannot wake up again after going into sleep mode. Apple has yet to resolve the issue from Ventura to Sonoma.

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
My issue — perhaps more with macOS Ventura than with the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID — is that I can’t turn on the toggle for “Use Touch ID for purchases in iTunes Store, App Store, and Apple Books.” All the other toggles work, but not that one. When I try to turn it on, I’m presented with a password prompt, which I fill in and submit, but then the toggle goes off and won’t accept my attempts to turn it on. All other Touch ID-related functionality appears normal. This is on a Mac Studio M2 and has been this way since I got both the Mac and this keyboard. Haven’t had any luck searching for similar reports.

Is there something I need to do somewhere on one of my other iDevices with the same Apple ID?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
So I have two Macs that I have set up as desktops: a Mac mini and my MacBook Pro. My Mac mini has the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad, and it has never given me a problem. I have noticed ever since I got it that the battery lasted a significantly shorter span than my previous Magic Keyboard, but I had no issue plugging it in every couple weeks versus every couple months. However, as part of my new set up with my MacBook Pro, I purchased the keypad-less model and it has been nothing but problematic. Touch ID will only work after I wake the machine and power cycle the keyboard. Even if I just let the machine go to the screen saver, doesn't matter. It's sad that after all this time Apple still has not figured out this problem.

I'm going to return the keyboard. If they ever figure out the problem I'll consider buying it again but there are cheaper options out there. The only reason I wanted to go first party was to keep Touch ID functionality with my MacBook in clamshell mode.

Reactions: pfutura

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
So I have two Macs that I have set up as desktops: a Mac mini and my MacBook Pro. My Mac mini has the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad, and it has never given me a problem. I have noticed ever since I got it that the battery lasted a significantly shorter span than my previous Magic Keyboard, but I had no issue plugging it in every couple weeks versus every couple months. However, as part of my new set up with my MacBook Pro, I purchased the keypad-less model and it has been nothing but problematic. Touch ID will only work after I wake the machine and power cycle the keyboard. Even if I just let the machine go to the screen saver, doesn't matter. It's sad that after all this time Apple still has not figured out this problem.

I'm going to return the keyboard. If they ever figure out the problem I'll consider buying it again but there are cheaper options out there. The only reason I wanted to go first party was to keep Touch ID functionality with my MacBook in clamshell mode.
This problem should not be solved in the short term. We will wait for the next release of the type-c version of the keyboard.

dominicpratt

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
I've been having the same problem with my Magic Keyboard and Touch ID not working since moving to a Macbook Air M2. Before, on the iMac M1, I never had this problem... it really sucks a bit.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
When specifically do people find that it doesnt work. I have a Magic Keyboard w/ Numberpad (black) that I am using with a M2 Macbook Pro 14" (in clamshell mode) and it seems to be working ok. However, I'm not sure if I'm missing it. There are times that the computer on login requires me to use password instead of TouchID but I think that may just be MacOS.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
When specifically do people find that it doesnt work. I have a Magic Keyboard w/ Numberpad (black) that I am using with a M2 Macbook Pro 14" (in clamshell mode) and it seems to be working ok. However, I'm not sure if I'm missing it. There are times that the computer on login requires me to use password instead of TouchID but I think that may just be MacOS.
It's like the Touch ID, Face ID on the phone... every so often it requires the password, and obviously requires the password at power up... but like you (and others here), I have not had any issues with Touch ID keyboard not unlocking my Mac or failing to access passwords, payments, etc.

The majority of people post to report or complain about an issue, so the number of posts will tend to be skewed in that direction... and I am sure some are having issues, but for me, it's been about as flawless as it could possibly be. Went from M1 Studio to M1 Air to M2 Air and back to the Studio... regardless of the computer, it works for me.

djcgeez2189

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Just purchased the magic keyboard with TID as well and having the SAAAAAAME issues everyone here has its wild almost 2 yars and no fix. It seems like the Keyboard is going into sleep mode like all keyboards do after a certain ammount of time and the Touch ID button just doesnt wake up and stays dormant. It should be a firmware fix but who knows if they will ever push it

Reactions: dominicpratt

MNJohn

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014
It's like the Touch ID, Face ID on the phone... every so often it requires the password, and obviously requires the password at power up... but like you (and others here), I have not had any issues with Touch ID keyboard not unlocking my Mac or failing to access passwords, payments, etc.

The majority of people post to report or complain about an issue, so the number of posts will tend to be skewed in that direction... and I am sure some are having issues, but for me, it's been about as flawless as it could possibly be. Went from M1 Studio to M1 Air to M2 Air and back to the Studio... regardless of the computer, it works for me.

According to Apple, it is a relatively common known issue.

I am running the latest MAC OS on a 2023 M2 Studio Ultra. I have tried three new different extended Mac keyboards with Touch ID, one purchased from Best Buy, one purchased from Amazon and one purchased directly from Apple. All three keyboards displayed the problem being discussed here. This, in my opinion, rules out the problem being attributable to a bad lot of keyboards.

My guess is a software or firmware issue that is hardware/software configuration dependent and common if you have problem configuration.

Apple has expressed a willingness to accept returns of keyboards displaying this problem as a manufacturer’s defect during the one year Apple warranty period.

djcgeez2189

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
According to Apple, it is a relatively common known issue.

I am running the latest MAC OS on a 2023 M2 Studio Ultra. I have tried three new different extended Mac keyboards with Touch ID, one purchased from Best Buy, one purchased from Amazon and one purchased directly from Apple. All three keyboards displayed the problem being discussed here. This, in my opinion, rules out the problem being attributable to a bad lot of keyboards.

My guess is a software or firmware issue that is hardware/software configuration dependent and common if you have problem configuration.

Apple has expressed a willingness to accept returns of keyboards displaying this problem as a manufacturer’s defect during the one year Apple warranty period.
The problem is this is not a hardware issue it’s a firmware issue. The keyboard goes into a rest mode and the Touch ID button does not wake or resume when the keyboard does. That’s why a power cycle fixes it every time. Apple will most likely never fix this as it’s not a surprise. They will most likely fix it with the usb C revision I’m returning this for know this is too stupid of a problem for a $180 keyboard to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.