Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Device: MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2021

I want to share my journey on the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID here.

I bought the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (#1) a year ago, and it had been flawless. The Touch ID unlocks the lock screen and does everything the built-in MBP touch ID does.

The keyboard (#1) couldn't power up a month ago, so I got a replacement (#2) from Apple Store. This #2 keyboard's Touch ID has problems like what users said on this thread; Touch ID works intermittently, Touch ID doesn't recognize and couldn't unlock the lock screen after waking MBP from sleep.

I thought it was a software problem, like multiple Bluetooth keyboard profiles corruption, etc., and I did remove the old keyboard profile from Bluetooth setting along with all Touch ID fingerprint profiles, rebooted, and reconnected with this #2 keyboard. The Touch ID still wouldn't unlock the lock screen after waking up from sleep. I had to do one of the following to revive Touch ID again: a/ power cycle the keyboard, b/turn Bluetooth on and off on MBA c/ power cycle MBA. The Touch ID would work until the MBA slept and woke again.

This is super annoying, so I went to Apple Store to ask for a replacement again. This replacement (#3) has worked flawlessly for 24 hours, like the first one I got. All three keyboards are running firmware 1.4.8, so I don't think it is a firmware problem. I suspect some large batch of the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID has intermittent Touch ID malfunctioning.

It's been only 24 hours, so I will post here if the #3 keyboard still works.

If your Magic Keyboard is still within one year of Apple Care, please go to Apple Store and get a replacement.
Interesting. I wonder if that's why I never had any problems with the one I have.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Got a Touch ID keyboard yesterday and mine too is also intermittent. Seems to be after leaving the Mac for a while. Turning it on and off fixes it after a brief period.

It's got to be a software problem right? Anyone on the beta noticed it working properly?

dsiu

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Any update on the new keyboard?
I am happy to report that the Touch ID on the #3 keyboard I got from Apple Store is still working after two weeks. i.e.: the Touch ID works even after the Macbook wakes up from long sleep.

Robdmb

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2008
Has this issue been appearing on both versions of the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (i.e. with and without numeric pad)? Or is it one or the other?

Rgeorge

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
I am happy to report that the Touch ID on the #3 keyboard I got from Apple Store is still working after two weeks. i.e.: the Touch ID works even after the Macbook wakes up from long sleep.
Glad to hear that. I’m now on my keyboard #3 (first one had intermittent Touch ID, 2nd one had same problem). The keyboard I have now is a numeric w/Touch ID directly from Apple. It has been working great over the past 2 days since I purchased it. Same firmware and set up as before. I’m also suspecting a faulty batch of keyboards.

Rgeorge

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
Has this issue been appearing on both versions of the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (i.e. with and without numeric pad)? Or is it one or the other?
It seems to be happening more on the mini size, but one user did report having the issue on full size numeric keyboard.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
It's more for Apple Pay, etc. for me. Still use the Apple Watch to unlock.

I'm finding mine stops working pretty much after the screen goes off. Disabling display off to see if it still does it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Man I'm so glad I never got this keyboard. And people called me crazy for still using my Apple Watch to unlock my Mac

First of all, the majority of posts about this kind of stuff are negative. Far fewer people start a thread to talk about how well something works - most are started to complain or seek help.

Secondly, the number of people on MacRumors (or other tech forms) are dwarfed by the set of users of any given product.

And finally, not everyone here who has (or posts about) the TouchID keyboard has negative experiences. I have had my TouchID keyboard for just over a year, and I have NOT experienced these kinds of failures. Sometimes when my finger tips are particularly dry or overly damp it may not work the first time, but again, mine works almost flawlessly.

So, you implying that avoidance is the answer is just a bad assumption. Glad you have something that works for you, seriously... but there's no reason to categorically avoid the technology.

Reactions: TECK and heretiq

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
First of all, the majority of posts about this kind of stuff are negative. Far fewer people start a thread to talk about how well something works - most are started to complain or seek help.

Secondly, the number of people on MacRumors (or other tech forms) are dwarfed by the set of users of any given product.

And finally, not everyone here who has (or posts about) the TouchID keyboard has negative experiences. I have had my TouchID keyboard for just over a year, and I have NOT experienced these kinds of failures. Sometimes when my finger tips are particularly dry or overly damp it may not work the first time, but again, mine works almost flawlessly.

So, you implying that avoidance is the answer is just a bad assumption. Glad you have something that works for you, seriously... but there's no reason to categorically avoid the technology.

I mean there is a reason to avoid the tech: Saving money. It is considerably cheaper getting a non Touch-ID Magic Keyboard than getting one with it.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
So, leaving the display on and it still stops working. I test by going into the Touch ID settings and try to add a new fingerprint, it doesn't register when not working. Turning keyboard on and off and it works again.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I have yet to run into any issue with mine. WOrks every time. My only gripe is logging from a fresh boot it requires your password. But I get why. Still annoying. Maybe require password after 5-10 logins or something. IDK.

Reactions: heretiq

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I use Tooth Fairy to show battery levels of bluetooth devices in the menu bar, it also let's you quickly turn disconnect/connect. Doing this also gets the touch ID working again, strange.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
I use the small Apple Magic Keyboard with my new Studio M2 Ultra, no issues with the TouchID waking up the Mac from sleep or any password related usage. I purchased the M2 and keyboard a week ago from Apple, I'm wondering if is related to a more recent batch or the small vs. large keyboard factor? I prefer the small compact white look.

Upgrade from Mac Pro 2010 and large Magic Keyboard without TouchID.

IMG_6286.jpeg

Last edited:

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
I installed macOS Sonoma Beta but the issue remained. My Magic Keyboard's TouchID works flawlessly on my M1 MacBook Pro with macOS Monterey. I installed macOS Monterey on my Mac Studio but the issue remained there as well.

So the keyboard doesn't seem to be the culprit in this mess, but my Mac Studio. But why did it work flawlessly what I got it at first with macOS Monterey and then after I upgraded to macOS Venture, it seemed broken?

eggo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Same here. Magic Keyboard with TouchID worked perfectly in macOS Monterey, but broken after upgrade to Ventura. It works after restarting the Mac, until screen goes to sleep for 10 minutes then TouchID cannot authenticate user. Fairly sure it's a software issue in macOS for my case.

Last edited:

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
I now even have the keyboard connected directly with Lightning cable to my Mac Studio and turned off Bluetooth completely. TouchID stops working mid session. The computer hasn't even gone to sleep and TouchID just stops working. Turned off and on the keyboard and TouchID starts working again... for like 10 minutes.

Luigi_and_Mario_4Eva

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2023
I have the Mac Mini M2 Ventura 13.5 and Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and they DO NOT WORK for more than a day.
Apple are finally accepting the return of my Mac mini after I've had to endure claims of "it's a Software Issue", "It's a Hardware Issue" for six weeks: The Buyer does not want to know who is to blame, we want honest answers and a solution to the fault. Apple is fully aware there is an issue with the M2 MM and Touch ID. Seek my post for details. I have spent hours with Apple Support on this matter.
Thankfully I have a Support Case lodged 10 days after purchase or Apple would have left me with their M2 MM mistake. I'm a long-time loyal Apple consumer but sadly this has not been a good experience. If Apple were able to say the issue would be fixed in say another month, I would have put up with the problem but it's been hard enough for them to admit they have a software issue. I am not happy to have to return my MM but I don't want something that is not fit-for-purpose!
If you have this issue with your new MM and Touch ID, I urge you to not accept what you may be told by your Case Manager (I was on manager number 3) but insist on speaking with a supervisor/manager.
Apple needs to come clean on this matter as some honesty would be appreciated and may have earned them my extended patience - although I reckon that 6 weeks of perseverance should get me a sainthood.
I will buy another MM but when this bug is fixed. Thanks for reading and stay safe.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

Dude, this person is just glad they didn't get the keyboard. That can be true even for someone who realizes all of the above, and probably especially true for someone happy unlocking the Mac from their watch (as I also am).

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
I don't want to get too excited in case it doesn't last, but after Sonoma Beta 5 my TouchID is working correctly!

Hope it's permanent. 🤞🏻

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
I am on Beta 5 and the issue remains unfortunately. Got the keyboard brand new from Best Buy three weeks ago and ever since I cannot get Touch ID to work after a short time period (idk if it’s related to computer sleeping).

Using the MBP 14” M2 Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.