Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djcgeez2189

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Does Sonoma fix or help the issue at all? I returned the keyboard because It was a waste of money in its current form Does Sonoma fix any of it.

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
Nope, same problem with mine. I have to keep it attached with its cable for it to work consistently. I was hoping Sonoma would fix it but, alas, no.

Last edited:

djcgeez2189

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
so its not a software issue its purely hardware related like I figured. This wont get fixed until a new hardware revision unless somone can find a way to make the leyboard no go into idle/ sleep mode

Reactions: SnoFlo

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
This is so very weird. While I don't really use mine any more since switching over to mechanical keyboards, I never had any issues with my TouchID sensor refusing to work.

wayfarer93

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2023
I just purchased my Magic Keyboard to my MacBook Air, because I want to use it in clamshell mode, and after a few days I realised that the Touch ID stops working after a while. Usually after the screensaver kicks in, it just stops working. I am really dissatisfied. As others also mentioned, you wouldn't expect such issue with a €180 keyboard. I don't know whether I should keep it, hoping that it might be resolved with a software update. I am currently running my MacBook Air on Sonoma 14.0.

Reactions: ExEr7um

wayfarer93

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2023
If everyone could please report the issue with the Feedback Assistant, it will get this on their radar much quicker. Right now it shows that less than 10 recent similar reports were filed. We can do better than that!

View attachment 2244300

I tried to give feedback on this, but I couldn't find the Magic Keyboard on the feedback page.

Attachments

• Képernyőfotó 2023-10-12 - 23.05.38.png
    Képernyőfotó 2023-10-12 - 23.05.38.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 40

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
What I’m curious about is if anyone has actually had a successful case of exchanging their keyboard and it working perfectly from then on. If so, then it would point to a common hardware issue, and maybe we can try exchanging ours. I am well past my return window, but the keyboard has never functioned as advertised. I’d exchange it through the Apple warranty if there’s any evidence that it helps.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Did the update to RC beta this morning and TouchID is still working. (Turned keyboard off/on before reboot). *touches wood*

I've probably put the kibosh on it by posting but hopefully it's fixed. Anyone else tried the beta and had success?

Reactions: MakaniKai

August West

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Land of Enchantment
My Mac mini has the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad, and it has never given me a problem.

Just as another data point neither has mine. I upgraded from my old 2012 mini to an M2 mini last March and added a Magic Keyboard because I wanted the Touch ID. In the 7 months since I upgraded it has worked 100% without a single problem. Hope they fix whatever is wrong for those having these issues since having Touch ID is a big upgrade. At least it has been for for me anyway.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
My post above may not be clear. Mine was one that stopped working until reboot or bluetooth on/off. The beta RC seems to have fixed.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
Two days and still working, even restarted Mac and still works. Looks like they finally fixed it in the latest Sonoma beta (RC). Very happy.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
If Apple were to do a firmware upgrade on our keyboards, how would we know about it? I ask because..maybe it's a placebo but.. I have noticed that my touch ID has not been failing lately, and I have not upgraded to the new beta (I am on public releases now). Could they have released an update that we don't know about?

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2023
Two days and still working, even restarted Mac and still works. Looks like they finally fixed it in the latest Sonoma beta (RC). Very happy.
Can you please open System Information, go to the Bluetooth section, and tell me what Product ID and Firmware Version your Magic Keyboard has?

Anyone else experiencing this issue, can you also do the same? Perhaps we got a secret update...

1697864355590.png

----

Edit: Looks like version 1.4.8 is fairly old, I found a post dating back to June 14, 2023 where someone says they have this version: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254914293?answerId=259170550022#259170550022

But of course I am assuming that this is a firmware bug in the keyboard and not a software bug in MacOS.

Last edited:

akerssies

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2023
Also working over here since yesterday, had this problem since i've got my new Mac Studio (M2 model). Like the rest of you the TouchID when /afk. Went to sleep and put the Mac Studio in sleep mode, when i woke up today i've tried to unlock it again and to my surprise it worked 😁 fingers crossed it keeps working.

I'm not on the Sonoma beta anymore (now on Sonoma 14.0 build 23a344) and the keyboard is also on the same 1.4.8 version

Reactions: MakaniKai and Pug72

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
AppleCare replaced my faulty Magic Keyboard after I had liquid-damaged it, but my new keyboard encountered the same TouchID issues reported in this thread: all keys work, except TouchID on Bluetooth. It was flaky: TouchID would start working, then after a few minutes, it'd stop. It works flawlessly when wired though.

This carried on for a couple of weeks until I started disconnecting, and reconnecting the MK's BlueTooth connection via the Control Centre. Did this a few times, and now MK works as it should, perfectly, TouchID via BlueTooth and all.

Attachments

• Image 21-10-2023 at 7.56 PM.jpg
    Image 21-10-2023 at 7.56 PM.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

macman5

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Also working over here since yesterday, had this problem since i've got my new Mac Studio (M2 model). Like the rest of you the TouchID when /afk. Went to sleep and put the Mac Studio in sleep mode, when i woke up today i've tried to unlock it again and to my surprise it worked 😁 fingers crossed it keeps working.

I'm not on the Sonoma beta anymore (now on Sonoma 14.0 build 23a344) and the keyboard is also on the same 1.4.8 version

Same here. Touch ID has now been working on my M2 Mac mini for over 2 days now. I am not on beta - 14.0 (23A344) and the keyboard is also on 1.4.8 version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.