Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
System Settings > Lock Screen > Require password after screen saver begins or
display is turned off

Check if this option is set to "After 5 minutes" or "For 8 hours".
This should solve most TouchID occasionally not working issues.
I have it set for 1 hour. But I'll set it to 8 hours, and see what happens.

Reactions: Gudi

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
System Settings > Lock Screen > Require password after screen saver begins or
display is turned off

Check if this option is set to "After 5 minutes" or "For 8 hours".
This should solve most TouchID occasionally not working issues.

Tried this. Didn't work.

Tried connecting my keyboard directly to the USB-C port in the MBP, didn't work. Ultimately I ended up pulling my old magic keyboard out of the closet and comparing it to the new one. I'm 90% sure it's an issue with the TouchID sensor in the keyboard.

With my old and new keyboard side by side, I can consistently login via TouchID on the old keyboard whereas my new keyboard's TouchID only works for a few mins after turning it off and back on.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
With my old and new keyboard side by side, I can consistently login via TouchID on the old keyboard whereas my new keyboard's TouchID only works for a few mins after turning it off and back on.
Wouldn't that indicate it's not a hardware problem?

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Wouldn't that indicate it's not a hardware problem?

If the old keyboard works 100% of the time, but the new one only works for 5 minutes after starting it, it seems to me that it's an issue with the new keyboard's hardware.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
If the old keyboard works 100% of the time, but the new one only works for 5 minutes after starting it, it seems to me that it's an issue with the new keyboard's hardware.
But it's working before it's not working. Sounds like a Bluetooth connection problem. Have you tried connecting the keyboard via Lightning cable?

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
But it's working before it's not working. Sounds like a Bluetooth connection problem. Have you tried connecting the keyboard via Lightning cable?

When you say it's a bluetooth connection problem, are you referring to bluetooth issue on the keyboard? Or the MBP? It can't be the MBP because the first keyboard wouldn't work.

To be clear, I have two completely different magic keyboards and the first one works perfectly fine, and the newer one doesn't. It definitely seems like it's something hardware related on the 2nd one (e.g. bluetooth, sensor, etc.) because the issue is isolated to just the new keyboard, not the old one.

Tried connecting it via lightning cable but still no luck.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
I'm starting to think getting one of the regular non-Touch ID keyboards is the way to go. I'm sick of farting around with the Touch ID. Nothing really fixes it.

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Pretty funny experience. Decided to take the keyboard back to the store to exchange it for another one. An employee that unlocked the cage said, "I'd recommend getting warranty coverage on this one. For some reason, Touch ID just stopped working on mine." and I had to tell him I was in the store to exchange mine, literally for the same reason.

I'm convinced. It was a defective keyboard/touch ID. My exchange has been working without any problems thus far, and my other one would have gone out by now.

EDIT: Nevermind. Now the new keyboard is having the same issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: hooptyuber

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
I have it set for 1 hour. But I'll set it to 8 hours, and see what happens.
Changing these settings did not work.

Just to clear things up; The issues started with Mac OS Ventura. I had no issues, what so ever, with TouchID over Bluetooth, on Mac OS Monterey. Which would mean, that the issue is probably software related, since it started after installing another version of MacOS.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Because of this thread, I decided to test the TouchID button on my backup keyboard, which is still in its original plastic wrapping. And can you believe it, it works even through the plastic. Finally a win for people with clammy hands. 😆

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
An update:

If I connect the keyboard to power (only connected to USB charger, not to USB port on computer) the TouchID works as intended. I've had it connected now, with power, in a couple of days, and it's been working flawlessly.

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
Yes, I also have this problem on Mac mini m2 using magic keyboard with TouchID. The system is 13.3.1, the TouchID cannot be used 10 minutes after the screen is locked, and the keyboard input password is normal. If the charger is plugged into the keyboard all the time, and the lock screen sleeps, TouchID will work normally.

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Since the issue appeared, at least for me, when I installed MacOS Ventura; could it some sort of new powersaving feature, in MacOS Ventura, for Bluetooth, that makes this happen?

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
Such an obvious bug, Apple should fix it as soon as possible, so that it can work normally.
I have already contacted the people in Genius Bar, uploaded videos and screenshots, waiting for repair.

eggo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Yes, I also have this problem on Mac mini m2 using magic keyboard with TouchID. The system is 13.3.1, the TouchID cannot be used 10 minutes after the screen is locked, and the keyboard input password is normal. If the charger is plugged into the keyboard all the time, and the lock screen sleeps, TouchID will work normally.
Have the exact same issue with Magic Keyboard Touch ID + MacBook Air M2 and Mac Mini M1.
Tried macOS Ventura 13.4. STILL broken there.

Reactions: Rgeorge

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
Still haven't solved the problem of touch id failure after magic keyboard sleeps for 10 minutes and wakes up.
macOS Ventura 13.4

JohnHua

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2023
Device: Macmini M2
System: 13.4
Bug: After powering on and sleeping for 10 minutes, the fingerprint unlocking fails, but the keyboard input is normal.
Temporary solution for now: Only the keyboard is always connected to the power supply to work normally.
Apple has not solved it, and hopes to attract attention.

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
Yep Mac Studio M1 with MacOS 13.4. Touch ID still broken.

I've had the keyboard connected to power for a while now. When the keyboard is not used for very long periods (like more than 15 hours) TouchID sometimes stop working. But not nearly as often as when it's connected wirelessly.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I found that the fingerprints are won off my thumbs and index finders from working with my hands. Those fingers work very unreliably. My little finger (pinky) seem to have better fingerprints ad operate sensors on the first attempt.

I had the same problem when I went to get fingerprinted for a background check. They could not get good print with their inkless system and had to fall back to real-ink rolled thin on a glass sheet. The guy explained that people who use their hands for work with no gloves wear down the skin and make it smooth.

So if you are a rock climber, carpenter or something like that, it could be you and not the keyboard.

macman5

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
Bug: After powering on and sleeping for 10 minutes, the fingerprint unlocking fails, but the keyboard input is normal.
Temporary solution for now: Only the keyboard is always connected to the power supply to work normally.
Apple has not solved it, and hopes to attract attention.
I have the same exact issue and have been so disappointed since I bought this keyboard just to use this feature.

Reactions: pfutura

Rgeorge

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
Device: MacBook Air M1, 2020 (Clamshell mode)
Keyboard Firmware version: 1.4.8

The Touch ID function does not work on my Magic Keyboard after computer puts itself to sleep. Have to restart keyboard after each sleep for Touch ID to work again. I've tried all the trouble shooting steps available for the keyboard, no fix.

I've also grabbed a new and sealed keyboard from the store; it has the same problem. Can't compare with another Mac since there's only one in my household.

To clarify: Once the keyboard has been power cycled and Touch ID is functional again, Touch ID works flawlessly until the next sleep. Thus I suspect there is something happening with the bluetooth or the keyboard when Mac sleeps.

Last edited:

dsiu

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2009
Device: MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2021

I want to share my journey on the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID here.

I bought the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (#1) a year ago, and it had been flawless. The Touch ID unlocks the lock screen and does everything the built-in MBP touch ID does.

The keyboard (#1) couldn't power up a month ago, so I got a replacement (#2) from Apple Store. This #2 keyboard's Touch ID has problems like what users said on this thread; Touch ID works intermittently, Touch ID doesn't recognize and couldn't unlock the lock screen after waking MBP from sleep.

I thought it was a software problem, like multiple Bluetooth keyboard profiles corruption, etc., and I did remove the old keyboard profile from Bluetooth setting along with all Touch ID fingerprint profiles, rebooted, and reconnected with this #2 keyboard. The Touch ID still wouldn't unlock the lock screen after waking up from sleep. I had to do one of the following to revive Touch ID again: a/ power cycle the keyboard, b/turn Bluetooth on and off on MBA c/ power cycle MBA. The Touch ID would work until the MBA slept and woke again.

This is super annoying, so I went to Apple Store to ask for a replacement again. This replacement (#3) has worked flawlessly for 24 hours, like the first one I got. All three keyboards are running firmware 1.4.8, so I don't think it is a firmware problem. I suspect some large batch of the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID has intermittent Touch ID malfunctioning.

It's been only 24 hours, so I will post here if the #3 keyboard still works.

If your Magic Keyboard is still within one year of Apple Care, please go to Apple Store and get a replacement.

WackyWizard

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2023
I suspect some large batch of the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID has intermittent Touch ID malfunctioning.
It seems to be the case. I had the exact same problem with my brand-new Magic Keyboard. After days of trying things that were mentioned in this thread, the problem persisted. Eventually, I gave up and requested a replacement.
It turns out the faulty keyboard had not only a defective Touch ID but a leaked battery as well (detected by the Apple authorized service themselves; I did notice a ~31% battery drain in 4-5 days of use but decided not to bother).
I got my replacement today and the keyboard seems to work flawlessly so far.
Summa summarum: I would advise going for a replacement. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but make sure it's the keyboard and not some peripheral device of yours (including Bluetooth devices, docking stations, and monitors - especially Dell monitors) by unplugging everything and having only the keyboard connected to your Mac.
Good luck! 🤞

Reactions: dsiu

Rgeorge

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2023
Device: MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2021

I want to share my journey on the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID here.

I bought the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (#1) a year ago, and it had been flawless. The Touch ID unlocks the lock screen and does everything the built-in MBP touch ID does.

The keyboard (#1) couldn't power up a month ago, so I got a replacement (#2) from Apple Store. This #2 keyboard's Touch ID has problems like what users said on this thread; Touch ID works intermittently, Touch ID doesn't recognize and couldn't unlock the lock screen after waking MBP from sleep.

I thought it was a software problem, like multiple Bluetooth keyboard profiles corruption, etc., and I did remove the old keyboard profile from Bluetooth setting along with all Touch ID fingerprint profiles, rebooted, and reconnected with this #2 keyboard. The Touch ID still wouldn't unlock the lock screen after waking up from sleep. I had to do one of the following to revive Touch ID again: a/ power cycle the keyboard, b/turn Bluetooth on and off on MBA c/ power cycle MBA. The Touch ID would work until the MBA slept and woke again.

This is super annoying, so I went to Apple Store to ask for a replacement again. This replacement (#3) has worked flawlessly for 24 hours, like the first one I got. All three keyboards are running firmware 1.4.8, so I don't think it is a firmware problem. I suspect some large batch of the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID has intermittent Touch ID malfunctioning.

It's been only 24 hours, so I will post here if the #3 keyboard still works.

If your Magic Keyboard is still within one year of Apple Care, please go to Apple Store and get a replacement.
Any update on the new keyboard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.