Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Magic Keyboard connected to MacBook Pro here (I like to have the screen further back on my desk hence use a separate keyboard - just find it more comfortable that way). Anyways, touch ID on the Magic Keyboard has worked flawlessly every single time for me - the slightest touch and its registered. No issues at all.....

Reactions: mcscot

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Magic Keyboard connected to MacBook Pro here (I like to have the screen further back on my desk hence use a separate keyboard - just find it more comfortable that way). Anyways, touch ID on the Magic Keyboard has worked flawlessly every single time for me - the slightest touch and its registered. No issues at all.....

I take this back - mine has now mysteriously completely stopped working!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Mine basically doesn't work in winter. Dry skin just seems to make it such that I have to re-register prints every day. Not really worth it. Works fine the rest of the year (which is most of the time in Nashville)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I've never had the Touch ID not work. If anything, I've accidentally set my display to sleep by resting a finger on the button for more than half a second.

Reactions: Gudi

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Contacted Apple today as mine always worked perfect up until the last 2 weeks or so, after which it was like Touch ID was completely dead. Nothing at all.
I have AppleCare+ on my MacBook, but the keyboard was purchased separately via eBay last year in May, so didn’t think Apple would cover it. However, they are sending me a replacement and a label to return mine this week. Hopefully it was just a hardware issue that will be resolved with the replacement.….

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Received my replacement today and all is working fine again. I'm putting mine down to a hardware issue. Will report back if the replacement starts to play up, but so far, so good!

binhluongvan88

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
Anyone else have trouble with the Touch ID on the new Magic Keyboard w/ Touch ID? I can only get it to unlock my M1 Mac Mini maybe 30% of the time anymore. I rest finger on the key and nothing. I press the key and nothing. I still have to enter my password to unlock my Mac or I have to switch the keyboard off then on again to get it to work. I noticed it happening more since I upgraded to Monterey. Curious if anyone else has a similar issue?
I also had the same problem. Has anyone found the cause and solved it?

Reactions: hooptyuber

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
I also had the same problem. Has anyone found the cause and solved it?
I have the same problem. I mentioned it to an Apple employee in the local Apple store. He said he's never heard of it before, that it's not a thing and that it never happens. 🤣😁

BTW, I'm also using an M1 Mac mini running Ventura.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have the same problem. I mentioned it to an Apple employee in the local Apple store. He said he's never heard of it before, that it's not a thing and that it never happens. 🤣😁

BTW, I'm also using an M1 Mac mini running Ventura.
Maybe there's some bad sensors out there. I'd have your keyboard replaced. Works essentially every time on mine.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I take this back - mine has now mysteriously completely stopped working!

Your cache is messing up! that's why I aways suggest the free Onyx and run it's Maintenance section and let clean all cache and rebuild it! I say doing this about once every two-three months depending on your use! lLet the program reboot your Mac after all thew cleaning to rebuild your startup/shutdown cache!

Last edited:

Aweberman

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
Just to weigh in that I have been having the same issue. I have an M1 iMac that is less than a year old and a Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad and Touch ID that I bought in May 2022.

The Touch ID has worked flawlessly from day one ... right up until about two weeks ago when it just would not work. I tried all of the fixes on Apple's support page (including, of course, making sure the OS is up-to-date) and eventually broke down and called tech support. They determined that something was wrong with the Touch ID sensor itself and sent out a new keyboard.

The new keyboard arrived, I turned it on, and it immediately worked flawlessly ... until I sat down last night at the computer and it wouldn't work. The keyboard itself works, so I was able to log on. I navigated in the Settings to Touch ID, and everything was shown as "on", but when I tried to add a fingerprint, it wouldn't recognize it. So I turned off the keyboard, plugged in the cable, turned it back on, and got it working again.

Apparently I left the keyboard plugged in overnight, so before I woke it, I unplugged the keyboard and ... the Touch ID sensor would not work. This time, rather than logging in and going to Settings, I turned off the keyboard, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. Touch ID still did not work, but when I went to Settings again, it was able to capture another fingerprint. So I pressed the Touch ID button to put it to sleep, then tried the Touch ID again ... and it worked.

Point being: This is not a hardware issue, since this is a brand new keyboard. Something seems out of whack in the operating system, would be my guess.

binhluongvan88

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2023
I realized that when not in use for a while the magic keyboard will enter sleep mode. At this time, there is a message to disconnect from the magic keyboard. From this time, I can't use touch id anymore. The only way is to restart the magic keyboard, the touch id can be used normally until the next sleep mode.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
I realized that when not in use for a while the magic keyboard will enter sleep mode. At this time, there is a message to disconnect from the magic keyboard. From this time, I can't use touch id anymore. The only way is to restart the magic keyboard, the touch id can be used normally until the next sleep mode.
Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Aweberman

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2023
This is also what seems to be happening with me. I think it might be an issue with the Bluetooth in MacOS, since the keyboard is losing connection and -- at least in my case -- it has happened with two different keyboards (one of which is brand new).

Also supporting this theory is the fact that if I leave the keyboard plugged in, the Touch ID continues to work just fine.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This happens because you have some different versions Bluetooth devices! Over the years I found many many problem between two versions of Bluetooth devices! So on you M21-2 machines boot into Recovery mode, quit the Installer and use the menu item to launch Disk Utility and repair Persions on startup drive, after that fix the problem boot back into your normal account! This fix will last about 1-2 months especially if you insist the use Intel only programs!

Last edited:

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
I've used the TouchID keyboard with my Mac Studio Max on the latest version of MacOS Monterey without any issues. None, what so ever, for about six months.

But today, I installed MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 and TouchID stopped working, several times during the day. At first, I thought it would only happen after the computer's been asleep but no, it happens midsession, while I'm logged in and working. Super annoying.

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
I've used the TouchID keyboard with my Mac Studio Max on the latest version of MacOS Monterey without any issues. None, what so ever, for about six months.

But today, I installed MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 and TouchID stopped working, several times during the day. At first, I thought it would only happen after the computer's been asleep but no, it happens midsession, while I'm logged in and working. Super annoying.
Yeah, there's definitely a problem with Touch ID and the Magic keyboards. I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem but Apple needs to acknowledge it and fix it.

Touch ID seems to work fine on laptops. It's the desktops with separate Magic keyboards that are not working for a lot of people.

Reactions: pfutura

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yeah, there's definitely a problem with Touch ID and the Magic keyboards. I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem but Apple needs to acknowledge it and fix it.

Touch ID seems to work fine on laptops. It's the desktops with separate Magic keyboards that are not working for a lot of people.

Agreed. I have not had any issues whatsoever with mine w/ Mac Studio... but others, too, have had zero problems... until they did. C'mon, Apple get it together.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I have mine connected to Mac Mini M2 via BT. No issue with it. Works every time so far. My only gripe with it is the OS won't let you use it to login from a cold boot. But that's always been a Apple OS/IOS Policy so that's probably never going to change. Otherwise I have been able to use the Fingerprint reader every time it was an option. Like unlocking from logged in but locked state, or logging into a pwd manager or some other login that allows for biometric login method.

Last edited:

gardinen

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2010
When connected by cable, it works fine. Connected via Bluetooth... not so much, after a while.

EDIT: Been two days now with my Magic Keyboard connected by cable. No issues what so ever. But if I connect it through Bluetooth, and let the computer idle for an hour or so, the TouchID is broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay Tee and Rgeorge

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
When connected by cable, it works fine. Connected via Bluetooth... not so much, after a while.

EDIT: Been two days now with my Magic Keyboard connected by cable. No issues what so ever. But if I connect it through Bluetooth, and let the computer idle for an hour or so, the TouchID is broken.

This is actually really good information to know. I have a new M2 MBP 16" and a new magic keyboard and noticed TouchID rarely ever works for me as well. I'd usually have to restart the keyboard. Going to try connecting mine via cable the next time I see this.

I assume if it's not working via Bluetooht, then that might be potentially an OS-related issue? I have an old magic keyboard as well that I'll try so I'll post back on some testing.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
System Settings > Lock Screen > Require password after screen saver begins or
display is turned off

Check if this option is set to "After 5 minutes" or "For 8 hours".
This should solve most TouchID occasionally not working issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.