Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well .. as the topic asks .. Apple Watch tracking sexual activity??

Did not know that was even there, was looking at the health app and it’s kinda way buried .

So, you wear the watch 24/7 and it’ll then let you know your frequency, etc, doing “it”?
Ha, how does it know the various types of “it”?
Curious that algorithm, and the testing done to validate it!!

33e8caa77dad274fdcb96ef3e0147761.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Did not know that was even there, was looking at the health app and it’s kinda way buried .

So, you wear the watch 24/7 and it’ll then let you know your frequency, etc, doing “it”?

What a horrific, intrusive, and utterly appalling idea.

Another excellent reason never to wish to purchase an Apple Watch.

Personally, I prefer that some parts of one's life remain very much in the private sphere and personal space, untracked by others, or, for that matter, intrusive timepieces.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

Personally, I prefer that some parts of one's life remain very much in the private sphere and personal space, untracked by others, or, for that matter, intrusive timepieces.
The Apple Watch 100% does not auto-detect anything of this sort. This is not part of the Apple Watch at all, actually. It's in the iPhone's Health app, and it's there because some people want to track this information if they're trying to get pregnant and such.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois

As @xraydoc stated the watch doesn't track this metric. Information has to be input through the Health app by the user.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
The Apple Watch 100% does not auto-detect anything of this sort. This is not part of the Apple Watch at all, actually. It's in the iPhone's Health app, and it's there because some people want to track this information if they're trying to get pregnant and such.
exactly. just because it is in the Health app does not mean AW has anything to do with it ... just look at the other entries like alcohol consumption, blood alcohol content etc ... does AW track that? No.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

as has been pointed out - there is nothing AW does with regards to this, it's a function of the Health app on the iPhone. Not everything that one can track in that app comes from the AW as the source, lots of items one can enter manually.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

surprised that you picked on "sexual activity" - why not blood glucose as that is a feature that has been rumored (and wished for by many) for years, or alcohol consumption ...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As @xraydoc stated the watch doesn't track this metric. Information has to be input through the Health app by the user.
The very fact that such information - relating to such a personal and private matter - can be input by the user is what troubles me.

This strikes me as the sort of thing that can be abused (potentially, or actually) by controlling partners, or intrusive authorities.

No, thank you.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I bet Mr. Cook is “cooking” something with this kind of data in his office…

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
The very fact that such information - relating to such a personal and private matter - can be input by the user is what troubles me.

This strikes me as the sort of thing that can be abused (potentially, or actually) by controlling partners, or intrusive authorities.

No, thank you.
It is very helpful for many, who are tracking their cycles, sexual activity and trying yo have babies. There are many legit reasons to track.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

So don't enter the data. Problem solved.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

No, thank you.

Not like location services, text/phone/email tracking/snopping etc. Not trying to be facetious but it seems like one of the more benign data points.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
surprised that you picked on "sexual activity" - why not blood glucose as that is a feature that has been rumored (and wished for by many) for years, or alcohol consumption ...
You can buy a Bluetooth BG monitor in Walmart for less than 10 bucks, and sync it to the phone and App. I am not diabetic, but I do use it time to time when I change my macros in diet to see how my body is reacting. I do hope that AW will come up with non invasive BG monitor in future. Problem is that continuous BG monitors currently need to be replaced every 2-3 weeks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It is very helpful for many, who are tracking their cycles,
Some of us have been tracking our cycles in our memory, - yes, memory - and with the aid of a pen and a paper diary, for decades, and centuries, prior to the invention of this device.

This is not new, merely a different way to accomplish something that many
sexual activity and trying yo have babies.
Indeed.
There are many legit reasons to track.
And many illegitimate ones, also.

This is something that can be abused by controlling partners, or those with tendencies to behave like stalkers, or, intrusive authorities in the event of unfortunate court hearings when such evidence may be demanded as part of the court proceedings.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Some of us have been tracking our cycles in our memory, - yes, memory - and with the aid of a pen and a paper diary, for decades, and centuries, prior to the invention of this device.

This is not new, merely a different way to accomplish something that many

Indeed.

And many illegitimate ones, also.

This is something that can be abused by controlling partners, or those with tendencies to behave like stalkers, or, intrusive authorities in the event of unfortunate court hearings when such evidence may be demanded as part of the court proceedings.
So, as stated, DON’T ENTER THE DATA if you don’t want to.

A controlling partner could leverage any number of things that are recorded (either voluntarily or automatically) within a phone… this is a truly bizarre one to get upset about.

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024
Can you describe a more detailed scenario for this? I'm having trouble coming up with a situation where this particular information could be entered or used maliciously.

Brandon42

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I am waiting for some new machine learning health trends:
“New trend detected: you fall more often if you have brushed your teeth in the last 4 hours. But don’t worry, you never fall within 24 hours after sexual activity.” /s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.