Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Anyone else shocked at how large the Apple travel case is? I had naively thought it would just fit into the larger compartment of my Nomadic travel backpack separate from my laptop and iPad, but now it seems like it will not or will be really tight.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
It seems like it's been deliberately designed to be as large as possible, puffer jacket and all. Very bizarre

Fortunately there will be quickly 3rd party options I would guess
Yah, it's huge, soft and cushy but I can't travel with a white case - it will be filthy within the first flight....

Plus I'd rather not advertise an AVP is inside.

Will look for a 3rd party case instead.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I'm gonna see how it goes. Flying next week. Will report back with my findings. Don't think there are any other ones that are available now.

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
Yeah I have a business trip as well, I really wish it wasn't white, but it's very LOOK AT ME, and also looks like it'd take up half the space of my carry on...

Reactions: arkitect and Foss

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Yeah I have a business trip as well, I really wish it wasn't white, but it's very LOOK AT ME, and also looks like it'd take up half the space of my carry on...
Right? I'm looking for something that will fit in my laptop bag. I only travel for work about once a quarter and would like to take this in my laptop bag. There is no way the Apple case would fit. I had posted above that there is a Pelican case I'm hoping works. If the AVP fits, it would be perfect.

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
I like the look of it, but as others have said, I don't want to be advertising this thing so obviously. THOUGH, one of the things iJustine pointed out (jokingly, perhaps) in her review was that she could use it as a travel pillow :)

I just ordered this one; I want to be able to carry a bt keyboard and trackpad with me.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.49.48 PM.png

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
New choices of Vpro bags on Ebay for under $40, some with custom moulding specifically for it...

EbayVproBags2.jpg

I suspect many more will follow and there will be lots of choices before end of FEB.

I'm also thinking about photographer bags with room for Vpro & accessories in a deeper-but-skinnier-than-laptop bag. Something along these lines...

full

Vpro on a "shelf", Accessories on a shelf, keyboard & mouse/trackpad, etc- the usual stuff we fit into the traditional laptop-shaped bag... but in a skinnier & deeper bag. I know that some of these camera bags fit under airplane seats just fine (owners just add some space for their feet without having to tuck under or over).

Last edited:
Reactions: soulreaver99

ryanflanders256

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2006
I ordered the travel case, but I might return it and get something else. I agree that the Apple branded case screams "Please steal this bag!" 😂 I might take out an insurance policy that covers theft so I'm less anxious about wearing it in public. I think the Vision Pro will be amazing for taking 3D concert videos at venues that will allow it (no obnoxious screen to distract the people behind me).

I'd prefer a huge backpack that would also allow me to carry two laptops and accessories, maybe even a full frame DSLR with lens attached.

If anybody has suggestions for a backpack that fits this description, please reply to this message. Thank you!

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
Just came on here to say this! The gigantic case is the biggest bummer I’ve got from the early reviews.

So let me ask, do you all think we really need a case? Can I just throw it in the main compartment of my normal carry on bag? The front screen has that fabric protector, the headband is fabric. The bit I guess I’d be worried about is the two arms that go back from the side of the headset with the speaker pods in them… I wonder if they could snap?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Just came on here to say this! The gigantic case is the biggest bummer I’ve got from the early reviews.

So let me ask, do you all think we really need a case? Can I just throw it in the main compartment of my normal carry on bag? The front screen has that fabric protector, the headband is fabric. The bit I guess I’d be worried about is the two arms that go back from the side of the headset with the speaker pods in them… I wonder if they could snap?
Right!
With the front protector, should be fine.
I travel with my Sony NC headphones without a special case - just throw it in my laptop backpack on airline flights.

Reactions: WingingIt

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
As of now, I'm planning on using something like a Pelican case to take on flights / travel with. I'm hoping that the iM2050 would work - Link
That looks a little small, but I may be wrong.

This looks more like the size.

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

If any FOD makes its way towards your lenses... *shudders*

Roadcrew

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2019
What I'd like is a small case sized for the front half, without all the extra space just to make a pretty arrangement for a strap you can fold a couple of times anyway.

What you've really got to worry about, assuming you don't care about scratches on the metal, are scratches on the outside glass and the inside lenses. The inside lenses in particular; picture throwing an unprotected pair of expensive glasses into your bag and the mess that would make of them before long.

Reactions: DeepStuff

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
What I'd like is a small case sized for the front half, without all the extra space just to make a pretty arrangement for a strap you can fold a couple of times anyway.

What you've really got to worry about, assuming you don't care about scratches on the metal, are scratches on the outside glass and the inside lenses. The inside lenses in particular; picture throwing an unprotected pair of expensive glasses into your bag and the mess that would make of them before long.

Maybe I’ll get some microfiber fabric and wrap it around the inside lenses. You’d like to think that sooner or later someone will make protectors for the lenses for people who don’t have travel cases for it.

I’m not so worried about the metal because I wouldn’t have anything else hard enough in the same compartment of my bag that it could scratch that.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I actually quite like the look and the "puffa jacket" style, but the white is going to get so dirty, so quickly.... Unless there's some magic protective coating. I don't understand Apple's obsession with certain colours sometime.

And what's the point of putting something on sale with accessories (i.e. spare battery) and then releasing a carry case which hasn't been designed to carry anything other than the headset and one battery.

The little pouch bag for the power brick is a complete cop-out. Just add some mesh zippy pockets please Apple. Stop over-engineering accessories like these and do some focus groups. See also the AirdPods Max handbag case.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.