Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I need to pluck the foam for the middle, but it fits inside this case Link
IMG_8636.jpeg

quicksnap

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2024
I need to pluck the foam for the middle, but it fits inside this case Link
View attachment 2344440
You’re gonna want a foam edge at least. That hard plastic can literally break bones. I’ve worked in the industry a long time and know people who have been seriously injured from pelican cases falling on them, hitting arms, legs, feet. I say this because they are designed to take an impact from outside and protect everything inside. Assuming of course it’s all packed well. But you need cushioning between the structure and the item it’s protecting and that looks like a tight fit without.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
You’re gonna want a foam edge at least. That hard plastic can literally break bones. I’ve worked in the industry a long time and know people who have been seriously injured from pelican cases falling on them, hitting arms, legs, feet. I say this because they are designed to take an impact from outside and protect everything inside. Assuming of course it’s all packed well. But you need cushioning between the structure and the item it’s protecting and that looks like a tight fit without.
Turned it and it worked
IMG_8645.jpeg

Reactions: quicksnap

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Official travel case vs the Syntech one from Amazon. The Apple version is actually more compact but bubblier (taller). It actually fits in my travel backpack better. FML.

Thought I would post these while I wait for the UPS driver to hit every house in my entire neighborhood first before delivering my prescription lens inserts. Guess it give me time to fully charge the AVP battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.png
    IMG_0695.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0696.png
    IMG_0696.png
    411.3 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: cmbarclay

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Official travel case vs the Syntech one from Amazon. The Apple version is actually more compact but bubblier (taller). It actually fits in my travel backpack better. FML.

Thought I would post these while I wait for the UPS driver to hit every house in my entire neighborhood first before delivering my prescription lens inserts. Guess it give me time to fully charge the AVP battery.
Is that medium?

Corefile

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2022
I can't afford the Apple iGoggles thing so can I just buy the white case by itself and pretend to have the vision pro thingie?

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014

The small Syntech one is a much better fit.

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
I was surprised by the size of the official case. Smaller than it looks in pics. It fits in my regular airplane backpack with plenty of room to spare. I'd have no problem fitting my laptop and some extra clothes (but not too many).

Reactions: WingingIt

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
I was surprised by the size of the official case. Smaller than it looks in pics. It fits in my regular airplane backpack with plenty of room to spare. I'd have no problem fitting my laptop and some extra clothes (but not too many).
Agreed… Ended up being a non-issue. I could fit two of them in my carry on bag if I had to

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Is that the small or medium Syntech case? I’m wondering what size to order. Thx!

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
How much protection do those cases provide? If Your AVP fell from 4’ to the floor, would you have any concern there could be damage?
No idea, and don't feel like testing a 4' fall TBH. In that respect, I believe the official Apple case to be the sturdiest since it's custom fit to the exact dimensions so far, and the case itself seems really solid.

EdH

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
Is that the small or medium Syntech case? I’m wondering what size to order. Thx!
I have a Medium Syntach case from a Quest2. Unless you need a case ASAP, or don't care about size - I'd wait a few days until the properly fitted AVP cases start showing up on Amazon and look at those.

The Syntech case is way too big for the AVP, and I'd say a well sized case could be 30-45% smaller. There is also not a great place for the battery to go.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I have a Medium Syntach case from a Quest2. Unless you need a case ASAP, or don't care about size - I'd wait a few days until the properly fitted AVP cases start showing up on Amazon and look at those.

The Syntech case is way too big for the AVP, and I'd say a well sized case could be 30-45% smaller. There is also not a great place for the battery to go.
Surprised how little there is on Amazon so far. The Spiegen case is looking the most promising 3rd party case so far that I’ve seen. I don’t think the 3rd party market expected much demand which is fair considering it’s not a volume product like an iPhone or iPad. However, people willing to plunk down $3500+ for the product will generally shell out some decent coin for cases and accessories.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Gonna return the Syntech case (black) after putting the goods in both. There's no suitable place to store the battery. The closest is the middle section, but there's not enough space to have it flush. It probably isn't good to have the cable mashing down on the divider either. The divided section at the bottom of the picture isn't large enough to accommodate the battery at all. Feel like they could have made the Apple case a bit shorter as there's some space there at the bottom, but then it the battery might hit the bottom of the AVP.

Guessing I'm keeping the official case and hoping the Spigen arrives before the return period ends, not likely though.

Hope that helps anyone in a similar dilemma!

Attachments

• IMG_0703.png
    IMG_0703.png
    484 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0702.png
    IMG_0702.png
    484.5 KB · Views: 74

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
^ I placed the dual loop band in that extra space and slipped my foldable keyboard underneath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.