Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I agree with everything you said! For most 3rd party cases, an accessory bag is going to be necessary.
I didn't notice until later that you had a video posted about it! :)

I think I'm still going to end up owning the Apple one at some point, but this thing was great for the price.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I actually kind of disagree; just use a Pelican case! :D

See:
:)

Eh, I can see wanting two cases. For routine use around home I dont want to take on and off my solo loop. The Apple case is fine. I can see for traveling I might want something more compact and robust like the pelican case.

Josh Puetz

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Received my Waterfield/SF Bags Vision Pro Shield case and it's awesome! Fits the AVP (yes, with the solo strap attached), and the little case has room for the dual strap, cleaning cloth, charger, cable. I'm even able to get a second solo strap (with the SoloTop) and a small foldable bluetooth keyboard in there.

Compared to the Eucarlos Meta Quest 3 case from Amazon it's taller, but slightly less wide. Bonus pics of it in my Away travel backpack: fits great! The soft walls let it squish much better than the hard sides of the Eucarlos.

Attachments

• IMG_8228.jpeg
    IMG_8228.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    917.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8229.jpeg
    IMG_8229.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8226.jpeg
    IMG_8226.jpeg
    875.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8230.jpeg
    IMG_8230.jpeg
    629 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8224.jpeg
    IMG_8224.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8231.jpeg
    IMG_8231.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8225.jpeg
    IMG_8225.jpeg
    768.4 KB · Views: 80

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
For anyone with the Apple Travel Case — how much can this be compressed? I’ve got a Pelican case with 6.75” of internal height — the ATC shows as 6.5” high, but I wanted to put a 16” MBP in a sleeve underneath the ATC.

mdburch

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
The Waterfield. Why?

Waterfield

EUCARLOS

The EUCARLOS case is smaller. Its’ about two inches shorter than the Waterfield. The other dimensions are smiler. The Waterfield provides much more padding, but I don’t use the case on it’s in . It goes inside my padded backpack. Being able to carry the case in my existing backpack was important and I really have to cram the Waterfield in there to get it to fit.

The Waterfield case requires removal of the head band. I found putting it on and taking it off to be just enough friction to be annoying. I use my AVP every day for work as well as in the evenings for recreation.

Zipping and unzipping the Waterfield “hatbox” storage pouch was another point of friction. I was storing the charger and a 10 foot cable in the box along with the polishing cloth. In the EUCARLOS, I use the insert with the elastic loops to store them. The EUCARLOS also includes a lens cover.

I put the Solo Knit band in the external zippered pocket in the Waterfield. In the EUCARLOS, I put in in the bottom of the case, then cover it with the polishing cloth. I put the AVP on top of that with the goggles facing away from where the lid connects to the case, leaving room for the battery which I put in the mesh pocket inside the lid of the case.

Finally, the EUCARLOS was $25.99 and the Waterfield was $199. The quality and craftsmanship on the Waterfield is excellent, but just doesn’t fit my usage case as well as the EUCARLOS.

Josh Puetz

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Good summary: I liked the Waterfield over the Eucarlos, but I’m glad both cases exist! One little point of contention though: I didn’t find that I had to remove my solo band to fit the headset in the case!

Attachments

• IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    917.1 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: mattopotamus

mdburch

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
Good summary: I liked the Waterfield over the Eucarlos, but I’m glad both cases exist! One little point of contention though: I didn’t find that I had to remove my solo band to fit the headset in the case!
Thanks for the perspective for Solo Band Users! The Waterfield is certainly a high quality choice. I own and use several of their products daily.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Hey all,

I finally had a chance to try the waterfield designs case. I think it’s the best looking AVP case so far. A few highlights from the review:

• it’s a soft case
  • inside lining is easily the best I’ve ever felt on any type of carrying case
  • you can fit the AVP with head strap on, but it’s going to cause some bending of the sides of the unit.
  • it’s about 1” larger than the EUCARLOS case in all dimensions
Let me know what you guys think!

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Nice case but why couldn’t they make it a pinch longer so it could fit with headband on!

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Nice case but why couldn’t they make it a pinch longer so it could fit with headband on!

I agree. Another 1/2" would probably allow the headband to fit on device just fine and people wouldn't notice the difference in case size.

Reactions: ke-iron

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
This is the dealbreaker for me. The other issue I have is that it seems to be difficult to keep the battery in the case while it's still connected to the AVP, without kinking the cable that comes out of the battery and while keeping the battery fairly secure (e.g., putting the battery fully in the webbing appears to kink the cable, and turning the battery sideways has it partially out of the webbing, making it more susceptible to moving around).

(Yeah, that battery cable in the video is majorly kinked. That's not something I'd want to do to prevent the cable from breaking internally.)

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
I would not want to put it in the case with the battery connected, as it is still doing things when not in use, and can get really hot with just the front cover on. Add a case to that, and it can get extremely hot.

GadgetFreakNYC

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2024
Hi all. Long time listener, first time caller.

Loving my AVP and thought I’d share some pics of a case I found on Amazon that I’ve been using whenever traveling with my AVP.

Not yet flown with it but this case has been impressive so far and I actually now use it to store my AVP when not in use in my apartment as well.

Was around $80 as it was discounted so decently priced.

EDIT: I think I’m not allowed to post Amazon links. Search for SPOMOX Vision Pro Case and you should see it!

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpeg
    IMG_2333.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2333.jpeg
    IMG_2333.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2324.jpeg
    IMG_2324.jpeg
    303.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: Macaholic868

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Finally had a chance to fly with it. I was able to pack all my usual stuff in the backpack - chargers, 14" MacBook Pro, power bank, other small items, and even AirPods Pro Max, in addition to AVP in Eucarlos case.

I put AVP with the lens cover on, the battery, additional light seal cushion (W+) and AirTag.
I used a soft lens protector (kiwi) from Amazon just in case, and left my inserts in the AVP.

The case did its job well, however one of the zipper handles broke off as it's made out of cheap plastic. It even fit into a hotel room safe, which is a plus!

Using the AVP on airplane is a pretty good experience overall, but has definitely more friction to start using than an iPad or MacBook, so I'd probably not even bother on short (<2 hours) flights.

mark-in-mk

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011

Loving my AVP and thought I’d share some pics of a case I found on Amazon that I’ve been using whenever traveling with my AVP.

Not yet flown with it but this case has been impressive so far and I actually now use it to store my AVP when not in use in my apartment as well.

That's the best I've seen so far. Could you share its name, or a link so that I can find it on Amazon please ?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017

I second what another poster said. I really like what I see in those photos and that price is awesome. Even if it’s not on sale at that price anymore can you post a link to it here? I’ve been waiting for the right case at the right price and this looks like it would fit the bill. I don’t travel much but would like a case I can use the next time I do if I want to take it with me and if it doubles as a place to store it away in a drawer when not in use I’m down for that too.

Reactions: GadgetFreakNYC

Ensyed

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2014
I am surprised to hear about friction on the airplane.
I pulled out the AVP as soon as I sat down and turned on travel mode. Then started using it as soon as the people next to me were settled into their seats.
used it from before take off to Landing no problem. 2-3 hr flights

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
In what way?
You have to take it out of the case, take off the cover, plug the battery, wait until it boots up, put it on, activate travel mode. With an iPad, you just pull it out of your backpack and it's ready to use.

Also, I ended up taking it off whenever I talk to a flight attendant as the cabin lights were off, and I couldn't see much in passthrough. Drinking/eating with this thing on is also not very convenient. I've also noticed that the windows do not maintain their positions well even in a light turbulence.

So, on the flight back I didn't put it on until we were done with food/drinks.

Besides that initial friction, the experience using it is great, both work and entertainment. For work, I was able to edit some sensitive business documents without anyone looking, and it is so much more convenient to sit back, relax, and keep your MacBook on your lap while using a big virtual screen in front of you. My 6 hour flight never felt that short :)

Reactions: HDFan

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Just got the Spiegen case. Loving it. It definitely protects the AVP and is shaped perfectly for it.

There’s a few options to store the battery. It fits and is held by one of the elastic straps but also would fit into the middle storage compartment.

Reactions: Macaholic868

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017

EDIT: I think I’m not allowed to post Amazon links. Search for SPOMOX Vision Pro Case and you should see it!

I just bought one myself and got it yesterday based on your post and it’s perfect for me! Thank you!! It’s the right size, you don’t have to remove the head strap, it looks like it costs more than it actually does and at around $80 bucks including the discount code the price was right. I’m very happy with it and wouldn’t have found it without your recommendation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.