Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Haha, I love the default picture w/ the eyes on it. Now, it makes me want a customizable AVP Case from Apple.

🤣 I'm continuously working on my thumbnail game, but I think this one is my favorite so far!

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Why is it terrible? Also, can you share the link to the Amazon one you decided to try and keep?

It’s way too large. Here is the one I got from Amazon and it’s awesome.

Reactions: MR1324

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
What’s amusing is that the Apple case can apparently fit nicely into the Peak Design Everyday Backpack, and that backpack costs more than the Apple case. 😵. A case for the case.

If I did any amount of traveling, it would be tempting to get that backpack.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
The size is what gets me. Like the vision is the size of ski goggles. Why do I need something that’s big enough to hold a freaking MacBook? Shouldn’t it be the size of a large glasses case? Like oakleys? The strap doesn’t need to be all folded out like it’s on display or some crap. Gold it in and put the battery in a little flex pocket

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
the size is what gets me. Like the vision is the size of ski goggles. Why do I need something that’s big enough to hold a freaking MacBook?

If you aren't traveling it where size matters it makes perfect sense. When I put my VP away it just drops into the case without having to make any adjustments. Back lenses are protected somewhat from dust by the riser. Close it up and no dust can enter. Soft cover fits perfectly with a couch.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks for the review, definitely helpful on return day lol. It’s big but looks convenient, I’ll keep mine.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
If you aren't traveling it where size matters it makes perfect sense. When I put my VP away it just drops into the case without having to make any adjustments. Back lenses are protected somewhat from dust by the riser. Close it up and no dust can enter. Soft cover fits perfectly with a couch.
Sunglass case. Imagine a larger one that could fit the vision. Just fold the strap in, have a little compartment on top to put the battery pack. Probably a fourth the size

The travel case just seems like waste space. Your transporting air

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 46

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Sunglass case. Imagine a larger one that could fit the vision. Just fold the strap in, have a little compartment on top to put the battery pack. Probably a fourth the size

The travel case just seems like waste space. Your transporting air

Agreed likely not the ideal case for planes. But ideal for quick use around the home or office.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Hi all,

The official Apple case is very expensive, so I've been looking at some budget options on Amazon. One of the top ranked cases is the Syntech hard carrying case. I share my thoughts in this video.

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Again, this is personal preference. Some like it some doubt there’s no Right or wrong it’s up to you whether you find Apples case or another manufacturers case that suits your style. End of story.

I agree! I know the Syntech case is going to be a popular budget choice and even thought about keeping it for myself, but the quality of the Apple case is just so much better.

The case is gorgeous design. Apple should do a whole range of tech cases like this!

I didn't like the appearance at first, but it has really grown on me over the past 2 weeks. Every time I pick it up, it reminds of a pillow hah.

What’s amusing is that the Apple case can apparently fit nicely into the Peak Design Everyday Backpack, and that backpack costs more than the Apple case. 😵. A case for the case.

If I did any amount of traveling, it would be tempting to get that backpack.

Hah with how solid the Apple case feels, I don't think it needs to be put in any other bag. I actually have this Waterfall Design case on order and it looks like the type to go into a backpack:

Apple-and-Vision-Pro-Case.jpg

The size is what gets me. Like the vision is the size of ski goggles. Why do I need something that’s big enough to hold a freaking MacBook? Shouldn’t it be the size of a large glasses case? Like oakleys? The strap doesn’t need to be all folded out like it’s on display or some crap. Gold it in and put the battery in a little flex pocket

WaterField Designs actually made a case with removing the strap in mind! See the picture above and link below:

It's not going to be as small as a large glasses case, but I'm sure someone will make it eventually.

Thanks for the review, definitely helpful on return day lol. It’s big but looks convenient, I’ll keep mine.

You're welcome! I'll be keeping mine too!

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
As soon as I saw the Apple case....I thought it looks like something off the Space Shuttle, in a good way..;)

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
As soon as I saw the Apple case....I thought it looks like something off the Space Shuttle, in a good way..;)

It's very much in line with their brand! I guess we're just not used to seeing Apple make large cases like this, so the price is a bit of a shock to everyone.

Reactions: MarkC426

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Since the AVP itself doesn’t have Find My support, they could’ve at least added it to the travel case for 200 bux… Yeah right… drop another 30 bux for an AirTag is more like it. Wish there was a small zipper pocket for an AirTag like the Spigen case has.

Reactions: MarkC426 and MR1324

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Since the AVP itself doesn’t have Find My support, they could’ve at least added it to the travel case for 200 bux… Yeah right… drop another 30 bux for an AirTag is more like it. Wish there was a small zipper pocket for an AirTag like the Spigen case has.

Agreed! There’s so much room in the Apple case that they could have done a lot more to accommodate little accessories. Instead, it all just goes in the draw bag hah.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Agreed! There’s so much room in the Apple case that they could have done a lot more to accommodate little accessories. Instead, it all just goes in the draw bag hah.
That’s another thing. I’d rather it not be a removable accessory baggie. Prefer integrated compartments. Just another thing to possibly lose.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I am LOVING my Syntech case that I got on Amazon:

One caveat to that is that while there is technically room inside the case for the headset, cover, charging brick and cable, and battery, there is no enclosure for those items. I solved that by using a cloth bag and putting them inside the bag and then inside the middle area and secured down with the velcro straps.

It's really quite a nice case and a perfect fit for the headset. The outside material is every bit as nice as it looks in the pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: jshear

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
I think I've found the perfect combo as an alternative to the official Apple Travel Case: it's smaller, cheaper, more versatile, and less conspicuous than the "astronaut puffy carry-on".

Combo
Tenba BYOB 9 DSLR Backpack Insert $50
Againmore Camera Hard Case $14 OR Condor Molle Gadget Pouch $20

Features
  • Compact size that is smaller and designed to fit inside backpacks while keeping the battery and hand band attached
  • Hinged lid that includes a zippered pouch that perfectly holds the battery
  • Fuzzy lining that is compatible with velcro padded dividers (included) for extra padding around the front glass and to secure the Apple Vision Pro and accessories case
  • Side stretch pockets on the outside to hold phone, wallet, power bank, or other small items
  • Available in black or blue color to attract less attention or dirt
  • Durable and well-padded because it's designed to hold expensive camera gear

What I Have Inside

In Use
I've already taken a couple of flights with this setup and it's perfect for this use case. It sits in the bottom of my backpack below my Bose QC45 headphone case and other tech accessories pouch. Adding a carabiner clip to the top handle let's me hang the case from the seatback pocket while the side stretch pockets hold the headset battery on one side plugged into the power bank on the other side.

Two Weeks of Searching
The Apple Travel Case is as you'd expect: smart looking and perfect-fitting at a high price. I wanted something that fit in my backpack and didn't draw too much attention while carrying it by itself. I found the cases designed for the Meta Quest 2/3/Pro to be too big with really only having the advantage of lower price compared to the Apple Travel Case at the expense of precise fit and finish. That led me to ordering way too many cases from Amazon. I searched for cases to fit "VR headset", "camera", and "helmet". I looked at camera cases from ThinkTank, Peak Design, and more before settling on the Tenba backpack insert. I already had the larger version for my big camera & lens, so I was familiar with the combo of size, features, & quality. The insert is designed for cameras or lenses so it includes several padded divider inserts that attach with velcro. I used a big divider in front of the light seal cushion that acts as a sort of shelf for the accessory case when carrying the case vertically. I added a pillow-like lens protector just in case.

The next step was finding an case or pouch to hold the accessories within the space of the headset with attached head band just like the white drawstring pouch that's included with the Apple Travel Case (but not available for purchase separately 😡). There's a space of about 6" x 4" x 4" available that avoids putting outward pressure on the white side straps and let's you keep either head band attached (unlike the Waterfield Shield Case). Searching for "tech pouch", "jewelry pouch", and "climbing chalk bag" on Amazon got me close. I had the best luck searching for "tactical MOLLE pouch", "tactical first aid IFAK pouch", and "vlogging camera case". The vlogging camera hard case fills the open space exactly but has minimal organization inside. The tactical pouch has lots of pockets for every item and conforms to fit odd-shaped accessories, but has a bit too many flaps, straps, & zipper pulls taking up room for such a small pouch. I really wanted to use a "tear-away first-aid pouch" because the "tear-away" velcro feature means that the pouch would securely attach to the inside of the case and completely eliminate risk of the pouch shifting around. A travel case designed for a portable HD would also work if I was willing to use a smaller power bank, but I didn't like the idea of the smaller case bouncing around while moving.

Final Thoughts
$65 is a bargain for a travel case that holds the Apple Vision Pro with all of the accessories that need. It's ready to travel in my backpack, rolling carry-on, duffle bag or even on its own without attracting any attention. It's padded enough for my lifestyle as I'll treat it like my other camera bags when carrying expensive camera gear - carefully and always secured.

Photos
Case.jpeg
Pouch.jpeg
Accessories.JPG

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010

Sndman2004

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Peak Design has 20L and 30L gear backpacks that can supposedly hold Apple's case. Warning: they're even more expensive than Apple's case.

I have the 30L and traveled with Apple's case at the bottom and had plenty of room left over on the top for other things. It's really a genius bag, even for the price, I would whole heartedly reccomend it. That Waterfield case is really catching my eye though...

MR1324

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I am LOVING my Syntech case that I got on Amazon:

One caveat to that is that while there is technically room inside the case for the headset, cover, charging brick and cable, and battery, there is no enclosure for those items. I solved that by using a cloth back and putting them inside the bag and then inside the middle area and secured down with the velcro straps.

It's really quite a nice case and a perfect fit for the headset. The outside material is every bit as nice as it looks in the pics.
I agree with everything you said! For most 3rd party cases, an accessory bag is going to be necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.