Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
Wait! I’ve got it! I don’t wear glasses, but I could order some Zeiss lenses anyway and just use them as screen protectors when I’m travelling with it. This is genius, no?

I know they’re expensive screen protectors, but the travel case would be $200, so in comparison no big difference.

Whether I could now get them added to my order in time for my flight on Sunday is another question though…

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
Hopefully we see some ingeniously compact ways to carry it come out. Based off of the video from yesterday, looks like a whole other carryon.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah the white essentially makes it a nice carrying case.....to carry around in your house. I would never want to take that outside. Is there a case for the case?

• Haha
Reactions: bb147

MockT

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2024
Wait! I’ve got it! I don’t wear glasses, but I could order some Zeiss lenses anyway and just use them as screen protectors when I’m travelling with it. This is genius, no?

I know they’re expensive screen protectors, but the travel case would be $200, so in comparison no big difference.

Whether I could now get them added to my order in time for my flight on Sunday is another question though…
You mean ... lens protectors?
The rest of the device needs to be properly protected too.

I think many people's plane fantasies will not be fulfilled after all when they face these actual practicality questions.
Just use it at home and take a nice book on your flight. ;-)

Reactions: arkitect

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
i grabbed the puffy jacket case and also the spigen offering. spigen is a 35 day pre order at this point but looks nice. even has a pouch for an air tag -

title_web_vision_pro_klasden_02.jpg

title_web_vision_pro_klasden_01.jpg

detail_web_vision_pro_klasden_05.jpg

detail_web_vision_pro_klasden_03.jpg

kreasu_

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2022
what was apple thinking offering a big WHITE case wearing essentially a down jacket for AVP? I know it is a branding thing but really!
I feel like people will get an external drawstring pouch for the case so you can have a case in a case and an accessory pouch in a case in a pouch in a backpack

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
You mean ... lens protectors?
The rest of the device needs to be properly protected too.

I think many people's plane fantasies will not be fulfilled after all when they face these actual practicality questions.
Just use it at home and take a nice book on your flight. ;-)
Yep, sorry, lens protectors.

Will the metal frame really need protecting if it’s just in a compartment with soft clothes in it? Maybe it will? Asking genuinely.

The thing is, it’s not just plane fantasies, it’s using the device at your destination. I’ll be on a work trip for a week, was hoping to be able to use it at the hotel too so need to get it there somehow.

MockT

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2024
Yep, sorry, lens protectors.

Will the metal frame really need protecting if it’s just in a compartment with soft clothes in it? Maybe it will? Asking genuinely.

The thing is, it’s not just plane fantasies, it’s using the device at your destination. I’ll be on a work trip for a week, was hoping to be able to use it at the hotel too so need to get it there somehow.
Honestly, that's an unknown for me too - how easy it is to disassemble the device for transport. The travel case from Apple suggests they don't really want you to do that regularly.

Whereas, if you just put it in with the other clothes, I'd be supremely worried about stress to the temple hinges that contain the speakers and power connector. People moan about the big box Apple sells as travel case but it may well turn out that's the kind of protection that's needed for peace of mind.

I get you want to use the device at the destination. A week is a long time for a business trip! I'd just get the travel case and try my luck. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: WingingIt

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Hopefully we see some ingeniously compact ways to carry it come out. Based off of the video from yesterday, looks like a whole other carryon.
Something like a Ski Goggle case. The depth just need to be big enough to support the Lens and the Light Seal, everything else will fold in, with the Battery sitting behind the folded in Dual Loop. I wish I could find the dimensions somewhere.

Attachments

• 71PUPsFcDEL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    71PUPsFcDEL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 91rJgdVa3oL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg
    91rJgdVa3oL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
Just came on here to say this! The gigantic case is the biggest bummer I’ve got from the early reviews.

So let me ask, do you all think we really need a case? Can I just throw it in the main compartment of my normal carry on bag? The front screen has that fabric protector, the headband is fabric. The bit I guess I’d be worried about is the two arms that go back from the side of the headset with the speaker pods in them… I wonder if they could snap?
You will need something with cushioned and tight space inside incase you drop your bag. That’s a lot of glasses and you don’t want to accidentally break the “arms”. May I suggest to prop the VP into its holder that comes in the box too?

Reactions: TypeMRT

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I feel like people will get an external drawstring pouch for the case so you can have a case in a case and an accessory pouch in a case in a pouch in a backpack
I am thinking now that I might go with the White Apple Down Jacket Case and place it one of my Pelican cases. At least with the Apple case I know it was engineered for AVP, and not some case designed for META, which I loath, or some third party who are essentially guessing at this point cause they have not had their hands kind the actually product.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
But why did you order it then?
I would guess because like everyone else here - you were rushing through ordering a $4000 headset in two minutes a week ago and have no ability to move it around. If you don't order it, it may go out of stock for 2 months and you have no way to take your VP with you for traveling.

I ordered it and may or may not return it. The apple website is horrible at displaying things, it literally gives you no context to the size in the images. If the case is nice and reasonable to carry it around in, I may keep it, but if it just feels unnecessarily massive, then I'll return it. Based on the MKBHD video, it looks massive.

Even still...I might still keep it as an odd Apple collectible to keep on a shelf.

tacoshell

Contributor
Oct 9, 2008
Surprised Apple hasn’t implemented something like my Uppa Baby stroller where they will insure it when traveling only if you use the official travel case. Granted it is more important for a stroller since it gets thrown around by airport staff.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Bought the two cases that’s currently available on Amazon to see if either fits the bill until the Spigen one comes in. Both Amazon ones are not specific to the AVP though. Preordered and going to try the official Apple case but will likely return. Will report back tomorrow on the Amazon cases.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Bought the two cases that’s currently available on Amazon to see if either fits the bill until the Spigen one comes in. Both Amazon ones are not specific to the AVP though. Preordered and going to try the official Apple case but will likely return. Will report back tomorrow on the Amazon cases.
I really would not bother buying a case not tailor made for the Vision Pro.

• Haha
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Syntech case on the right and BnLnHOGVR on the left. Syntech looks like the winner between the two so far. Will report on fit to AVP tomorrow on both. Comparisons to official Apple travel case to follow, too.

Attachments

• IMG_0681.png
    IMG_0681.png
    464.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0680.png
    IMG_0680.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 69

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
The apple website is horrible at displaying things, it literally gives you no context to the size in the images.
I used the AR feature in the iOS Apple Store app to guesstimate the headset’s size compared to a compact Quest 2 case that I already own.

Reactions: DeepStuff

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Syntech case on the right and BnLnHOGVR on the left. Syntech looks like the winner between the two so far. Will report on fit to AVP tomorrow on both. Comparisons to official Apple travel case to follow, too.
IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

Here is the fit for the small Syntech and the BnLnHOGVR. Syntech is the winner for me.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
i grabbed the puffy jacket case and also the spigen offering. spigen is a 35 day pre order at this point but looks nice. even has a pouch for an air tag -

title_web_vision_pro_klasden_02.jpg

title_web_vision_pro_klasden_01.jpg

detail_web_vision_pro_klasden_05.jpg

detail_web_vision_pro_klasden_03.jpg

Spigen has the nicer and more practical design in my opinion. I ordered one in the 25th, but waiting till they ship in 35 days they say. Until then the Vision Pro will stay put at home.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
All of these cases just seem to have a ton of wasted space because they're trying to accommodate having the headband attached. Someone needs to make a case for just the VP and the arms, and a zippered pouch to store the headband in. Market it as a "slim" case. You hear me case makers? There's your free idea.

Reactions: Roadcrew
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.