Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Tim Apple working to keep shareholders happy, good to see regardless of his affiliation he's willing to make his case the right way.
Yup, Tim Apple doing what’s right for all Americans. Nice to see somebody putting Country before party for a change. A True Patriot!!!

Easy to see why Trump admires Mr. Apple so much, and why he values his counsel so highly. But will Trump listen?

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
That's the difference, Tim seems to be more motivated by money, not ideals.

I think the other differing factors is Musk is an entrepreneur and he owns (the biggest chunk) of Tesla and SpaceX so he can say what he feels is right. Tim Cook, ultra-well-paid he may be, but ultimately he is an employee of Apple and it's his prime directive to represent the interests of the shareholders.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
So does Samsung manufacture elsewhere? Why can they do it and Apple can’t?
Be a Korean company?

So far as manufacturing, Korea was "China" before China became "China" (and for what it's worth, these days Cambodia, Vietnam, etc. are the new "Chinas".) But - the big difference between Korea and China is that Korea was never open to foreign manufacturers the way China is. So Samsung could do it in Korea, being a Korean company, but Apple could not.

Keep in mind that Foxconn is *not* Chinese - they are from Taiwan.

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
I'd be careful about crediting or blaming any president for the economy. Economic forces can often move in contrast to short term policy decisions. Playing red team/blue team over the direction of the economy in any specific year (or couple of years) is likely to backfire on people that just want to score political points.

Well, it was the smooth talking Mr. President Obama that said the famous words regarding Trump’s plan to improve the economy.

“These jobs are gone for good. How is he going to bring them back? Does he have a magic wand?”

Clearly the President has a part on the status of the economy along with other factors. But I guarantee you, if the economy was performing terrible these three years, everybody from the left would blame Trump only to score political points.

And even if we accept that the economy is booming right now for reasons that have nothing to do with Trump or that all of this is a legacy of Obama, if he was this terrible, unstable President that the left makes him to be on a daily basis, then make no mistake, he would have derailed the good economy one way or another.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
When did he ever have success? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, millionaire by birth. Never really graduated, all companies he was involved in flopped. Apart from selling his brand name he never accomplished anything.

How he made it president is a complete mystery to me. I guess a combination of right place and right time for a moron like him to be elected. Hillary just was just not the right opponent.

He made President because he wasn’t a career back stabbing politician and offered genuine change, and the masses voted for him.
You can’t claim he only won because he faced the wrong opponent, was his opponent not the representative from the other party then? You vote governments in not one person.
I’d also argue he’s made a damn site more success of his like then you have! He’s a billionaire.. and runs a successful corporation.

Perhaps you should claim Americans didn’t pray enough too...

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wrong how? Do elaborate how is it wrong based on the facts provided here.
It's a political chess game. Japan and S. Korea are also playing a similar game, albeit smaller in scale. And there are plenty of others as well, such as some countries requiring foreign companies to do xyz to enter, et cetera. Whatever it is, it's calling for negotiation, which both US and China are doing anyway.
Your assumption that this will lead to another world wide conflict is the dangerous one, as it seems you are already on the side where conflict "must" happen instead of negotiations.

Nope my assumption is correct because capitalism leads to corruption and encourages people to do very questionable things for money and power, always has and always will..
It’s like blaming Huawei for its security threats, well yes, but I can bet you anything the US spies just as much if not more in everyone else..
The craving for Power leads to war IMO. It’ll happen again one day.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
It's stories like this that make it apparent how Trump hasn't managed to royally **** up the country the way so many of us expected him to. Don't get me wrong, the man is a total moron and a pompous ass, but as long as other, smarter people with rationale are able to keep him from destroying the economy (and the world) then all the better.

Hopefully we can keep it up until November of next year when we will restore some order and class to the White House.
What does restoring order and class to the White House mean? We certainly didn't have it from 2008-2016. Didn't like GWB either, but Laura Bush had class. The Clintons...probably the lowest class we've ever had. Don't care for many of Trumps antics but he had a hell of mess to clean up from 8 years of neglect. And do you really think a total change of parties in control will actually change anything? That thinking is how we got morons like Obama and Trump in the White House.

Reactions: MacNeb and apolloa

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
So does Samsung manufacture elsewhere? Why can they do it and Apple can’t?

The tariffs are on *Americans* buying Chinese goods - only Americans. Samsung is not American, so they can use the same sources as Apple, but their government doesn't charge them. And we can buy Samsung phones tariff free because South Korea is not China.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Tim Apple: I’ll give you my milk and cookies, if you give me your potato chips.

Donald Trump: (pauses while eating his tostada bowl) Done.

Reactions: dk001

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Free market capitalist my @$$. The idea that Tim Cook needs to plead with he top elected official of his own government in the hopes that he'll protect his rights, when that's his only proper function as President is an abominable state for this country occupy. What a shameful "leader."
Every country functions like this. Personal connections mean everything.

The idea of tariffs is to help US manufacturers; not to hurt them. I'm sure Trump gave Tim some deadlines to bring more manufacturing to the US (or at least, to move it out of China) or the tariffs will eventually be imposed on the Apple products made in China.

What it all means is that Trump is a person you can reason with unlike the way he is presented by the left-wing media like CNN, MSNBC, etc. We've just seen the meltdown that occurred with the CNN's top anchor Chris Cuomo. Had this happened with Trump, the media would be calling for an immediate impeachment hearing. However, when this happens to the top CNN talent, they simply dismiss it as something that is totally normal and stand behind their guy. This is an egregious demonstration of a double standard in the media. So, take all the criticism of the Trump administration that is coming out of the left-wing media with a grain of salt. Their coverage of the negative effects of the Trump administration policies, including the tariffs, are grossly exaggerated, and all the achievements of the Trump administration are constantly downplayed.

CNN has turned into a Trump bashing network. They let go of all of their foreign correspondents , which they were so famous for, and embarked on Trump bashing 24x7 since the mid 2015, when Trump announced his candidacy. For four straight years now, CNN has been bashing Trump in every one of their programs throughout each day starting early in the morning and continuing into late night. It's like the rest of the world no longer exists. There is no news that CNN could cover; the only topic that exists is Trump.

Last edited:

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Just like he did after meeting with Putin and after meeting with Kim Jong-un.... Trump talks tough and makes threats but then folds faster than a lawn chair.
I've always had problems folding lawn chairs. Always.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
Well, it was the smooth talking Mr. President Obama that said the famous words regarding Trump’s plan to improve the economy.

“These jobs are gone for good. How is he going to bring them back? Does he have a magic wand?”

Clearly the President has a part on the status of the economy along with other factors. But I guarantee you, if the economy was performing terrible these three years, everybody from the left would blame Trump only to score political points.

And even if we accept that the economy is booming right now for reasons that have nothing to do with Trump or that all of this is a legacy of Obama, if he was this terrible, unstable President that the left makes him to be on a daily basis, then make no mistake, he would have derailed the good economy one way or another.

You state "if the economy was performing terrible these three years, everybody from the left would blame Trump" yet by crediting him for a good economy you're setting them up to do just that. Be careful what you wish for.

Do you think Bill Clinton led to the tech boom in the 90s?

Do you think George W Bush caused the housing bubble and thus the 2007 recession?

Do you think Barack Obama's stimulus bill pulled us out of that recession?

Still want to tie Trump to US economic health? Are you 100% sure we'll be in the same or better economic condition in November 2020 as we are today?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Can someone point out the most trustworthy person in that picture? I can't decide. ;)

Does every company in the US who imports from China but has a non-China competitor get a pass, too?

The persons taking the picture. You can see them in the cold dead eyes of the First Lady. :p
[doublepost=1566219103][/doublepost]Economy 101:

If an economic policy is good. It should not matter when it is implemented.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Their relationship is so weird:
It's not that weird. It's pretty simple:
- Trump is deeply insecure and feels validated by posturing around powerful business leaders.
- Trump repeats whatever the last person who talked to him said. If someone today tells him that Apple gets an unfair advantage, you can be sure he'll pull out his phone and tweet that.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
I was surprised at all the comments from people who seem to not understand how tariffs work. So here's a more concrete example. (And for those who do understand, forgive me):

Say the government decides (as it has in the past), that it's tired of Americans buying foreign cars. There's two ways it could bribe people financially to change their behavior:

1) The carrot: If you buy a Corvette, you can deduct the entire price from your taxable income. Better yet, you can get a full tax credit for your Corvette - literally sending your Federal tax dollars to Chevrolet instead of the government. Result: many more people will buy Corvettes*, Chevrolet will hugely prosper, those Americans who do buy Corvettes will have an ultra cheap car and have more money to spend, the economy goes up. Those that love BMWs can still buy them as before - they just won't see a positive increase in their income.

2) The stick: If you buy a BMW 3 series*, you will be charged an a $20,000 penalty. (The Tariff). The result? Some Americans may switch to buying a Corvette. Chevrolet may see some boost. Some Americans will pay super high prices for BMW 3-series cars. Many Americans will no longer be able to afford a BMW and will just buy used or hold on to their cars longer. BMW may lose a little business, and Chevrolet may gain a little business, but Americans lose cash, and the economy suffers.

BUT: the intended benefits of Tariffs (to promote domestic industry) only work when there IS a domestic alternative. Imagine this same scenario, but pretend the US HAS NO CAR COMPANIES. So the government just says "buy a foreign car, pay a $20,000 penalty." This costs foreign car companies some sales, as before, but it mainly just makes Americans poorer, because in this example there's no local car they can buy to avoid the penalty. It's now simply a tax on new cars - making them unaffordable for most people. And the economy goes down, or the quality of life measured in the state of the car you drive, goes down.

This was an example from the consumer side of things, but it's the same scenario from the seller side of things - you're just applying the penalty to the businesses, who have to pass it on to the consumer. In this example, "Any car dealership that sells a foreign car must pay a $20,000 penalty for every car sold." It doesn't make a big difference where in the chain it happens, because everyone will try to pay part of the tariff to try to reduce business losses.

This was the big flaw in the Brexit argument: People who were pro-Brexit said "Europe is a huge trading partner who can't afford to lose us." But what they overlooked was that while England got a huge fraction of its goods from Europe, Europe only got a small fraction of its goods from England. So whatever hurt that trade hurt England far worse than Europe. It's a Pyrrhic victory - we'll nuke ourselves to cause you a little inconvenience.

* I just picked Corvettes and BMW 3 series as classic proxies for American and Foreign cars. I think they're both cool - no insults intended. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.