Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I would be troubled by either of them trying to explain how things REALLY work!

Oh I’m more then sure they BOTH know how things ‘really’ work, that’s why Cook is the CEO of the richest corporation on the planet and Trump is the most powerful man on earth and also has a huge corporation empire...
it’s rather funny reading the insults by people on an Apple forum, last time I checked no one on here is or ever has been the US President or owns or runs a giant global mega corporation, hmm seems obvious to me who’s made more of a success out of their lives and is smarter..

Last edited:

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If China places restrictions on their markets, that is not the concern of America. Just because they're doing the wrong thing doesn't mean our president should be doing, or has the right to do the wrong thing in response. His purpose as President is to ensure that the rights of his citizens are protected, and that includes their right to trade with whomever they choose. He has no business and no right assessing which people in which countries the individuals in his country are or not allowed to trade with, or at what price they're permitted to do it. Any deviation from an absolute protection of rights is not reflective of a free market, or a free market capitalist. Plain and simple.
If you’re an absolutist, then you will find life is quite hard, anywhere in the world.
I mean if you’re on board with absolute free market, then you’re also in for slavery then. I mean free market, right? Why should the sale of humans be prohibited? You see why an absolutist idea makes no sense?

China is not playing well because they are cheating left and right. They impose tariffs on many US exports, while circumvent US regulations by shipping their stuff from countries like Vietnam. Politics is an art trying to balance things out. There’s no absolute in this world. Good luck with your absolutist point of view.
[doublepost=1566201214][/doublepost]
I would be troubled by either of them trying to explain how things REALLY work!
But I’m sure they could do a better job than you.. :D

Reactions: MacNeb

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
On the one hand, he’s right that China are bullies, but no one is going to come out of a trade war well and it will really hurt a lot of people in the US for a long time.
A trade war is not the way to go.

But Trump is confrontational. He’s clearly done well in his life bullying people and getting them to back down and that’s what he thinks he has to do now. China play a long game and they don’t really care about the people that much so they will sit it out until it hurts everyone else.

We can see we are on the verge of a global recession and if your customers have less money to buy then that hits you and that is what is going to happen. Europe is suffering too and we buy a lot from the US.

Plus, they own so many dollars that you can’t push them too far because the only thing stopping them destroying the US economy is the amount of their own savings they will lose.

This is why he says they are currency manipulators. The Chinese originally bought dollars as a security and now every time the dollar is weaker, they lose their savings so they prop it up.

It is manipulation but no one wants to be poorer.

If they are going to lose anyway then what have they got to lose? They can do an awful lot of damage if they really start to sell.

Trump cut taxes so it follows that the economy has taken off- it always does.

But it benefits the rich not the poor and eventually when the bills need to be settled, the pendulum swings the other way and the economy takes a nose dive (but he probably won’t be in office then so he can blame the other guy. I think he will win a second term though).

What you can see is the debt is spiralling again and that will need to be paid some day too. Debt makes the country poorer long-term.

Manufacturing is down and that’s the real loser in a trade war but the other question you have to ask about manufacturing is, What sort of manufacturing do you want?

Do you really still want the sort of manufacturing they do in China, producing massive quantities of polution, no unions, no health care, no safety standards? I don’t think people want that any more.

We all want cheap products but we want clean rivers and cities so we might complain about it but we are all happy to export the filth and the short life expectancy and the child labour over there.

But all those things cost if you want clean manufacturing.

Wasn’t it GM that found their pensions plans cost more per car than it cost the Japanese to make a car? You can’t compete on those differences. It’s just impossible

And back in 95 if I recall correctly when Texas instruments still had plants in Austin, Mexico and Ireland, I did a study on comparitive costs and the components coming out of China were 1/200th of the ones in Texas (I’m not up to date on this and haven’t looked since so have no idea what the situation is today).

We in the West need alternative so low-wage, low skill, high pollution manufacturing. We simply can’t compete with that.

We might talk about manufacturing more in the West be really we are only talking about assembling in the West.

We still need them to take all the crap out of the heavy metals and send us the clean stuff, and make the transistors, diodes and circuits cheaply because no one wants a $200,000 computer.

And we still want to send them mountains of old computers to recycle so we feel we are saving the planet, where they heat them over naked fires holding them with their bare feet and die in their 40s.

Do we want that here and are we prepared to pay the cost of doing it properly over here?

We might shout at them now but we’ve used them too and seen a lot of benefit from it.

And some people might want a trade war but we still need them to do that.

We are inextricably linked now. We need to get along as every time we hurt them, we are also going to hurt ourselves more and we need them.

Protect your intellectual property for sure. Keep your ideas in California and San Diego and create skilled jobs because we don’t want, and can’t compete, with the the dirty ones.

And that way they buy from us and we buy from them and we are all better off.

David Ricardo got it right and it’s still true today: comparative advantage.

Reactions: Sikh

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Oh I’m more then sure they BOTH know how things ‘really’ work, that’s why Cook is the CEO of the richest corporation on the planet and Trump is the most powerful man in earth and also has a huge corporation empire...
it’s rather funny reading the insults by people on an Apple forum, last time I checked no one on here is or ever has been the US President or owns or runs a giant global mega corporation, hmm seems obvious to me who’s made more of a success out of their lives and is smarter..
And in a sense, it’s a positive to see Trump listens, at the least.
And it’s good to see how Apple is a lot more diplomatic under Cook, be it with other industries or government (other than the FBI, of course).

Reactions: My LunchBox

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I wonder why Apple can't produce elsewhere like samsung is doing. Apple is getting under high pressure form competitors these days and that writing was on the wall for years. Where competitors out designed Apple these past years and give far more value for money then Apple is giving. You can say Apple is making the highest profits from all the others, but what's the benefit of that for the customer?

The galaxy S10 with better everything already is cheaper that an iPhone XR in Europe without the extra tarrif in place already. Unless Apple is coming up with very compelling unique features for the iPhone, the iPhone right now is a sitting duck.

Apple owns the OS and are always bragging about the fact that when owning the OS and hardware you can make it so much better. Show it!!!! Make it better and unique to Apple and it will sell. Don't sell those same old designs and incremental updates each year for top of the line prices.

It's not the tariffs it's the product that is lacking :mad:

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Hopefully we can keep it up until November of next year when we will restore some order and class to the White House.

Order and class ain't coming in 2020 either. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
No way the US public is going to vote in any Democrat who advocates for free medical care for illegals and doesn't believe in the sovereignty of borders. The 2016 election, the recent election in Australia and some Euro elections show that it's blatantly obvious that the majority of westerners don't believe in far left progressive politics and will vote in somebody like Donald Trump to make sure the far left don't get in power. That's how much the far left scares normal people...

Trump respects power and is envious of the successful business that Apple has. However, if Tim Cook also owned a major newspaper (like the Washington Post) and it criticized Trump then the tariffs would be double.

Haha. Think you nailed it!

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Also, booming economy as set up by President Obama.

Are you talking the economic genius Obama who faked being a foreigner to sell books, or some Avengers alternate timeline Obama who beat Thanos for the economy stone?

Hate to break your bubble, but this version of Earth has the Obama who probably can’t even balance a checkbook. Might want to fire up your time bracket again and try to find your way back home to exact opposite Earth.

Reactions: MacNeb

Moi Ici

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Are you talking the economic genius Obama who faked being a foreigner to sell books, or some Avengers alternate timeline Obama who beat Thanos for the economy stone?

Hate to break your bubble, but this version of Earth has the Obama who probably can’t even balance a checkbook. Might want to fire up your time bracket again and try to find your way back home to exact opposite Earth.
Oh dear....

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And in a sense, it’s a positive to see Trump listens, at the least.
And it’s good to see how Apple is a lot more diplomatic under Cook, be it with other industries or government (other than the FBI, of course).

You couldn’t be anymore wrong in your assumptions.. they are basically screwing over another nation for monetary gain.. bullies in other words.
Other Western countries do the same though, it’s one of the major flaws in human nature and will most likely lead to another world wide conflict one day.. because money and power is apparently more important then ANYTHING else?

Last edited:
Reactions: H2SO4

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Oh I’m more then sure they BOTH know how things ‘really’ work, that’s why Cook is the CEO of the richest corporation on the planet and Trump is the most powerful man in earth and also has a huge corporation empire...
When did he ever have success? He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, millionaire by birth. Never really graduated, all companies he was involved in flopped. Apart from selling his brand name he never accomplished anything.

How he made it president is a complete mystery to me. I guess a combination of right place and right time for a moron like him to be elected. Hillary just was just not the right opponent.

Last edited:

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Maybe a bit off topic but I found this thread on Reddit about people that worked with Trump or for Trump, or simply met him in public and what they are saying all before the race. Link

There is also interesting quick 5 minute interview with Trump when he was 34 y.o in 1980 where he is asked why don’t he become the president

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
This is probably as good a place to ask as any. What is the deal with this trend of people referring to Cook as "Tim Apple"? Is it meant to be an insult?

supercoolmanchu

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Hollywood
Oh dear....

I think you are assuming the reference was to some sort of birth certificate conspiracy.

What I was referring to was his book itself, where his imagined connection to his absent father’s native alien culture, was a shallow attempt to cultivate sympathy and feign sophistication.

While it did help mask an almost total normal, affluent American upbringing as something other than totally mundane for his fans and sell some merch, it lacks any demonstrative economic acumine or insight beyond.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I would prefer tariffs on all products from China and all communist and dictatorship regimes from around the world. Plus, anywhere the military rules the government, like Thailand for example. I don’t think Americans should condemn or allow the wealthy stakeholders as well as executives from business in these countries.

America has financed the largest military and greatest infrastructure development in the world in China. That money is never coming back.

Tim Cook just wants his stock to vest and give him the most money possible. Tim Cook, and other executives around the globe should quit touting they’re doing something great when they use renewable energy but transfer wealth. This is about a penalty for people consuming products manufactured to take advantage of people who are also being controlled by their respective governments.

About 20 years ago I tried to adopt a no China policy as I saw what was happening. It’s so far gone now, and alternatives like Vietnam see capitalism possibly breaking through but still have communist governments. Vietnam is where Samsung makes the majority of its products. Not free South Korea.

Reactions: Marekul

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
Tim Cook ought to become a politician if he’s so full of **** he can spin the literal shipping of American jobs (in Texas building Mac Pros) to China as “protectionism” to appease a protectionism minded president

Reactions: Marekul

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Margins on Apple products are so tight there's no space to move anything. Need to negotiate with the president of the USA to get extra special exemptions and to be able to continue to exploit cheap labour in China. /irony off

Reactions: HJM.NL

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
You couldn’t be anymore wrong in your assumptions.. they are basically screwing over another nation for monetary gain.. bullies in other words.
Other Western countries do the same though, it’s one of the major flaws in human nature and will most likely lead to another world wide conflict one day.. because money and power is apparently more important then ANYTHING else?
Wrong how? Do elaborate how is it wrong based on the facts provided here.
It's a political chess game. Japan and S. Korea are also playing a similar game, albeit smaller in scale. And there are plenty of others as well, such as some countries requiring foreign companies to do xyz to enter, et cetera. Whatever it is, it's calling for negotiation, which both US and China are doing anyway.
Your assumption that this will lead to another world wide conflict is the dangerous one, as it seems you are already on the side where conflict "must" happen instead of negotiations.

Reactions: coolbreeze
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.