Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
How can you say that? You'll find that it is the other way around.
Not everyone listens to mainstream corporate owned media.

Not everyone has realized that fake news broadcasts stories that are lies about trump to millions of people...And then quietly retracts them online for no one to see.

He’s a great president that has been consistent, fought China, brought troops home, steered the economy and brought jobs, and fought pedophilia rampant in politics.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Nope my assumption is correct because capitalism leads to corruption and encourages people to do very questionable things for money and power, always has and always will..
It’s like blaming Huawei for its security threats, well yes, but I can bet you anything the US spies just as much if not more in everyone else..
The craving for Power leads to war IMO. It’ll happen again one day.
Well, I guess it’s pointless to have a conversation with a warmonger. Good day.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Cook: Stuff is going to cost more.
Trump: Is that a bad thing?
Cook: Yes.
Trump: I see. You've made an incredible case. What a guy! Gotta love Tim Apple.
Cook: I'm dead.

Reactions: rp2011

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Yet we have a booming economy. More jobs, low unemployment, and were finally standing up to a country that commits humanitarian atrocities, steals $300b in intellectual property, and cheats America for jobs.
There’s more to America than the economy. And I would definitely put human rights abuses at the tail end of the current administration’s rationale for “standing up to” China.

Reactions: Moi Ici

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Tim Apple working to keep shareholders happy, good to see regardless of his affiliation he's willing to make his case the right way.

That's the job of an outstanding CEO. That in no way means he likes trump or is "affiliated" with him.

Apparently you would like to see higher prices for Apple products. Many millions of customers would not.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Their relationship is so weird:

1. Trump really seems to have respect for Tim Cook. You wouldn't expect him to say "Ah yes, he actually makes good points, I'll think about it"

2. It's weird that from all business leaders - it seems that Tim Cook is the one who has the closest relationship with president Trump. In many ways he is the "Anti Trump". I can't help imagining Cook thinking "what an idiot" everytime they meet.

3. What if they actually are friends? That would be an even stranger relationship of a political leader and a celebrity being friends than Kim-Jong Un and Dennis Rodman.

For disclosure: I'm European and while I find Trump irritating, I wouldn't call myself Anti-Trump (nor pro-Trump).

It has nothing to do with friendship.

It's Tim Cook doing his job. As any on the ball CEO would protecting his company from needing to impose higher prices due to a horrible political policy.

I suspect trump listens because Apple contributes greatly to the United States' GDP.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
When Trump decided to pull the US out of the Paris Climate Change Accord Elon Musk got upset and made it known to everyone by quitting Trump’s economic advisory council

Tim Cook knows he has to play the game and handle the President with diplomacy. He has expressed his feelings but never gone too hard as his best chance at influencing him is by having him on side.
Yep! Exactly. Its called being a good political negotiator. Thats the game of politics so many dont seem to understand. (Hence they would make terrible politicians, haha)

cfurlin

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
The sheer courage of this comment. I’m in awe.
Trump must be brilliant. With a single tweet he can send outraged progressives off in any direction he chooses. It’s probably like playing a game to him. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out he doesn’t believe most of the things he tweets, he just enjoys watching the mice run through the maze.

“Melania, watch this. [tweets go home Alexandria]. Look at them run, just look at Them! [laughs]. Now while they’re busy over there...”

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
You realize that recessions happen about once every 5–10 years and, with that having been said, we're now well overdue for one, right? Economies don’t expand indefinitely, and we’re already seeing this current expansion approach its ceiling.

Over the next several months, there are several major events/factors — the most important being Brexit and trade warring — which pose serious risks to already slowing economic growth across the globe. Both the 2Y–10Y and 3M–10Y yield curves have inverted, both common and reliable indicators that a recession is on the horizon, likely to occur within 6–18 months.

The economy’s pretty much on stilts at this point, held together with duct tape and bubblegum and credit. It won’t take much to kick off a recession — so again, kindly let me know how the “booming” economy is working out in a year or so.

So you're saying that if a recession happens that it has nothing to do with Trump. Thanks for clarifying your earlier post.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfurlin

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
(Edit: before you get triggered, I said people LIKE you, not you specifically)

People like you are actually wanting a recession. Pretty terrifying, actually. No sane person would ever want an economic decline, along with it's consequences, to be wished on an entire country just because they hate one man. It's sad, really.

Our President is finally standing up to China and puts the country he leads first. This is a good thing, kids. It's okay to like your country...no wonder everyone is trying to pour across the border...this is a pretty great place! Tim knows what he is doing...he has the false God of money and profit leading him by the nose.

Now, watch me get warned/slapped on the wrist for this post. It's not low effort anti-Trump snark so they always get mad at me for it. Okie Dokie.
As much as I agree with your other posts on this thread I take issue with the above comments. Its not a matter of WANTING a recision, its a matter of historical fact that the economy takes significant dips every so often. This incoming dip that was warned of this week (the bond market) and was predicted a few years ago to be coming in 2019/2020. The economy cant go straight up forever. There are going to be busts along the way.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
...the US also has a trade deficit with Korea, so put a 5% tariff on goods from industries with gross imbalances (electronics).

And is anyone seriously buying a Samsung Galaxy vs. an iPhone if the iPhone becomes 10% more expensive? I doubt it.

Eventually the imbalances get so bad they you have situations like this (where it's gotten so bad it's probably a national security issue at this point) - https://www.industryweek.com/supply-chain/us-manufacturing-losing-its-toolbox

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
It’s incredible that anyone who is a minority, a woman, or no heterosexual would think that Trump is doing a “good job” given that his extensive history of being a racist, misogynistic, and homophobic.

And before you assemble a rebuttal along the lines of the “left conspiracy,” the Trump you are defending is the one who said that all people from Haiti have AIDS and that all Nigerians need to go back to their huts.

Let’s for a second say everything you’ve said is true. Which I don’t believe it is without a source.

I don’t even care, it’s only the far left that seems to think these things are the worst and most unforgivable sins. Plus people change, perhaps even Trump has said things he’s regretted in the past. What matters are his actions and he’s doing good things for legal immigrants and minorities in the US.

My wife is bisexual and utterly hates feminism and the left, she’s a big fan of Trump. But then again she’s the reason I moved to the US, she is a genuinely strong and independent woman who loves strong men. She wouldn’t support an actual misogynist. Beyond guy ‘locker room’ talk what has he actual done that’s so horrible?

The left is trying to make mountains out of mole hills.

marco114

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2001
USA
Part of me thinks Trump is right to impose tariffs on China. American companies that buy from China are exploiting a billion people that work for less than a third of what US workers work for. They work long hours in tight conditions. China doesn't have the same environmental standards as the US either. All of that affects the world.

If you are for the right of people to work for a living wage and you are pro-environment, you'd be against buying items made in China.

There is no reason we can't produce these types of things in America. Apple is charging a massive premium for these products and they are made in China. Apple is extremely greedy and it's why I haven't bought many Apple products lately. We can do better.

Reactions: GuruZac

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
Nobody's going to be able to afford Apple or Samsung products when the Trump recession hits. Obama brought the country back from the precipice of a freaking depression and now this orange horse loose in a hospital barges in and ruins everything. #moron #unexpectedmulaney

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Part of me thinks Trump is right to impose tariffs on China. American companies that buy from China are exploiting a billion people that work for less than a third of what US workers work for. They work long hours in tight conditions. China doesn't have the same environmental standards as the US either. All of that affects the world.

That factor, less than 1/3rd, means little until you reference it to the cost of living in the US and China. Have you done that?
[doublepost=1566226236][/doublepost]
There is no reason we can't produce these types of things in America. Apple is charging a massive premium for these products and they are made in China. Apple is extremely greedy and it's why I haven't bought many Apple products lately. We can do better.

There are a lot of reasons. Beginning with the lack of massive government sponsored/funded manufacturing infrastructure that China enjoys.

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
What a bunch of lies. Meanwhile the economy is booming, lowest unemployment ever for all races, tax cuts, strong borders etc.

Yeah, let’s keep it up until next November and elect the same corrupted career politicians who serve the establishment and the status quo. That’s not “order” and “class”. That’s a pathetic way to look at governance.
Spoken like someone that doesn't realize that unemployment and border issues has been dropping for over 10 years before Trump took office(in fact border issues were at 10% of what they were just 10 years before Trump so they are they were already at all time lows), or that every time the Republicans cut taxes it only has a short bump in the economy followed by a rise in national debt because they cut the money they take in, but never cut the money they spend. Didnt work for Reagan, Bush, Bush and now financial reports say it's not working for Trump.

But feel free to keep being oblivious to facts. Seem to be working for you.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Part of me thinks Trump is right to impose tariffs on China. American companies that buy from China are exploiting a billion people that work for less than a third of what US workers work for. They work long hours in tight conditions.

So Apple should pump more money into the Chinese economy and pay their workers better to show Trump how right he is?

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Free market capitalist my @$$. The idea that Tim Cook needs to plead with he top elected official of his own government in the hopes that he'll protect his rights, when that's his only proper function as President is an abominable state for this country occupy. What a shameful "leader."
To be clear...your faux angst is because you want the President to continue to pretend this giant economic disaster doesn't exist, and just let the corporate norm of taking advantage of slave labor while negatively impacting their own country continue.

Everyone knows this needs to be dealt with, and everyone knows dealing with it is going to be painful and come at a price. Everyone also knows that the tariffs suck, but there is no other way to make anyone do anything about it other than hitting them where it hurts.

I can't imagine anything more cowardly and boring than attacking the president over this long overdue necessity.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Yet we have a booming economy. More jobs, low unemployment, and were finally standing up to a country that commits humanitarian atrocities, steals $300b in intellectual property, and cheats America for jobs.

I am not sure most people understand the 300 Billion dollars (USD) per year that is stolen and resurfaces in private Chinese companies products and services. That is a big deal and Trump, love him or like him, has been the only President to address this situation head on. Trump has a lot of faults, but I don't feel his actions against China are one of them.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
Since most of Samsung's products are also made in China, wouldn't the tariffs impact the companies equally?

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Ugh.

Enough with the "Orange Man Bad" argument. The same argument didn't work on Bush 43.

Most of you self proclaimed smart people who saw Bush as such a dummy got him re elected. People get tired of being lectured to sooner or later, and either stay home, or vote for the other guy for. Reasons.

It seems, from a non emotional casual observer standpoint, that every time the media or the anti Trump crowds try and get a chunk if him, they've either been lured into his trap, or out maneuvered long before the whole game began. You're playing HIS game and you don't even realize it.

He's really good at manipulating people. Which is what makes him good at what he does.

Some could say he's the original troll....

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Fair enough if Cook has to have economic/tariff discussions with the orange toddler, but to pose for post-dinner photo ops as some sort of mutual ego-stroking exercise, is just pure cringe.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
What a bunch of lies. Meanwhile the economy is booming, lowest unemployment ever for all races, tax cuts, strong borders etc.

Yeah, let’s keep it up until next November and elect the same corrupted career politicians who serve the establishment and the status quo. That’s not “order” and “class”. That’s a pathetic way to look at governance.
Hahaha wowwwwww they've really got your number, huh? First of all, the quality of those jobs is utter crap. Not to mention all the jobs he's shipping out of the country (look up Carrier air conditioning factory). The tax cuts have actually added more to the deficit and only serve the rich. Borders are the same as ever except for that wall you people keep clamoring on about that obviously isn't happening which is good :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.